PDA

View Full Version : Bob Dylan: Modern Times

Jenson71
07-14-2006, 05:01 PM
His 44th album. It will have 12 tracks,at least three of which have been described as "masterpieces".

Dylan Surveys 'Modern Times' On New Album
June 13, 2006, 10:10 AM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Bob Dylan will break a five-year hiatus from the studio later this summer with his 44th album. Due Aug. 29 via Columbia, the 10-track "Modern Times" was recorded earlier this year with Dylan's touring band.

It's the follow-up to 2001's "Love and Theft," the No. 5 debut of which was Dylan's best showing on The Billboard 200 since 1979's "Slow Train Coming." The set has sold more than 757,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"Modern Times" includes such tracks as "When The Deal Goes Down," "Spirit on the Water," "Thunder on the Mountain" and "Workingman's Blues," according to Columbia.

Dylan, who recently began hosting his own "Theme Time Radio Hour" on XM Satellite Radio, is not currently on the road, having wrapped a six-week North American tour last month in Hollywood, Fla.

In other Dylan news, Martin Scorsese's 2005 documentary "No Direction Home: Bob Dylan" won the grand prize and the arts documentary prize last night (June 12) at the 27th Banff Rockie Awards in Banff, Alberta.

I can't wait.

CirclingWagons
07-14-2006, 07:59 PM
His 44th album. It will have 12 tracks,at least three of which have been described as "masterpieces".

Dylan Surveys 'Modern Times' On New Album
June 13, 2006, 10:10 AM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Bob Dylan will break a five-year hiatus from the studio later this summer with his 44th album. Due Aug. 29 via Columbia, the 10-track "Modern Times" was recorded earlier this year with Dylan's touring band.

It's the follow-up to 2001's "Love and Theft," the No. 5 debut of which was Dylan's best showing on The Billboard 200 since 1979's "Slow Train Coming." The set has sold more than 757,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"Modern Times" includes such tracks as "When The Deal Goes Down," "Spirit on the Water," "Thunder on the Mountain" and "Workingman's Blues," according to Columbia.

Dylan, who recently began hosting his own "Theme Time Radio Hour" on XM Satellite Radio, is not currently on the road, having wrapped a six-week North American tour last month in Hollywood, Fla.

In other Dylan news, Martin Scorsese's 2005 documentary "No Direction Home: Bob Dylan" won the grand prize and the arts documentary prize last night (June 12) at the 27th Banff Rockie Awards in Banff, Alberta.

I can't wait.
I'll check it out...huge Dylan fan here. The No Direction Home documentary was amazing

Sfeihc
07-14-2006, 08:12 PM
"I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

StcChief
07-14-2006, 11:40 PM
Dylan....Still the poet/song writer half the musicans wish they were.

Moooo
07-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Dylan....Still the poet/song writer half the musicans wish they were.

More like most musicians wish they were half as good as. There are certain people that come along that do things that people shouldn't even be capable of. He is the greatest songwriter probably so far, and his musical talent has a way of piercing into your soul. Very profound.

Moooo

Cochise
07-15-2006, 12:35 AM
Cool - l was lucky enough to go both nights when he was in KC in April. Great shows.

Frazod
07-15-2006, 12:43 AM
More like most musicians wish they were half as good as. There are certain people that come along that do things that people shouldn't even be capable of. He is the greatest songwriter probably so far, and his musical talent has a way of piercing into your soul. Very profound.

Moooo

I saw him in concert once. His voice pierces your f#cking eardrums. :#

He may write great music, but somebody else should sing it. Dylan's voice live is like combination of Kenny from South Park and the Aflac duck. That was the worst concert I ever saw.

The horror.

Rausch
07-15-2006, 01:19 AM
He may write great music, but somebody else should sing it. Dylan's voice live is like combination of Kenny from South Park and the Aflac duck.

ROFL

Jenson71
07-16-2006, 05:16 PM
I saw him in concert once. His voice pierces your f#cking eardrums. :#

He may write great music, but somebody else should sing it. Dylan's voice live is like combination of Kenny from South Park and the Aflac duck. That was the worst concert I ever saw.

The horror.

Do you realize how many people have covered Dylan's songs? Baez, The Byrds, Hendrix, Rolling Stones, Springsteen, Cash, the list is diverse and extremely long. But (arguably) save for All Along the Watchtower, no one has ever sang his songs better than Dylan himself.

To people that haven't listened to a full album, they might not hear it, but what he puts into his music is times better than any other singer.

chief2000
07-16-2006, 05:35 PM
He can't sing.

Moooo
07-16-2006, 05:38 PM
He can't sing.

If Dylan can't sing, neither can Hank Williams Sr. or Louie Armstrong, or Robert Plant...

Moooo

listopencil
07-16-2006, 07:46 PM
He can't sing.

It's true. He doesn't have a good singing voice.

Jenson71
08-02-2006, 11:14 AM
So I bought my Dylan tickets to his show in Sioux Falls on September 8th.

I'm taking a chance. It's on a Friday, and I probably have to miss my last class on Friday. Hopefully there's no test that day.

StcChief
08-02-2006, 11:26 AM
So I bought my Dylan tickets to his show in Sioux Falls on September 8th.

I'm taking a chance. It's on a Friday, and I probably have to miss my last class on Friday. Hopefully there's no test that day.

Should be a very good show.

Several reviews on this site:
http://my.execpc.com/~billp61/042006r.html

Jenson71
08-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Should be a very good show.

Several reviews on this site:
http://my.execpc.com/~billp61/042006r.html

Thanks a lot for that link. It's my first Dylan concert. Seems like he might play Queen Jane, which is great - one of my favorites.

Jenson71
08-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Great album, I just love most of the songs, and am thoroughly impressed with Mr. Dylan once again.

I especially love track two - Spirit on the Water.

chief2000
08-29-2006, 08:56 PM
He should be a judge on 'American Idol' soon.

Brock
08-29-2006, 08:57 PM
If Dylan can't sing, neither can Hank Williams Sr. or Louie Armstrong, or Robert Plant...

Moooo

Robert Plant? Think about that one some more.

tk13
08-29-2006, 11:34 PM
I found this amusing, especially the line about downloading music.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060822/us_nm/leisure_dylan_dc_3

Dylan says modern recordings "atrocious" Tue Aug 22, 2:40 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Bob Dylan says the quality of modern recordings is "atrocious," and even the songs on his new album sounded much better in the studio than on disc.

"I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past 20 years, really," the 65-year-old rocker said in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

Dylan, who released eight studio albums in the past two decades, returns with his first recording in five years, "Modern Times," next Tuesday.

Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway."

"You listen to these modern records, they're atrocious, they have sound all over them," he added. "There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like ... static."

Dylan said he does his best to fight technology, but it's a losing battle.

"Even these songs probably sounded ten times better in the studio when we recorded 'em. CDs are small. There's no stature to it."