PDA

View Full Version : Why the Big12 North isn't winning anymore.

chief2000
07-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Having Texas join the big12 meant no more partial qualifiers. This hurt alot schools without big recruiting bases.

Big win for Texas. And hurt it's opponents.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/colleges/big_12_conference/14765364.htm

Bearcat
07-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Nebraska wanted unlimited partial qualifiers. Texas did not.

Texas won.

Unlimited partial qualifiers ó players who donít meet either minimum grade-point average or standardized test score requirements ó would not be part of the Big 12.

Doesn't Texas have the worst student-athlete graduation rates in the Big 12? Apparently it's not working.

chief2000
07-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Didn't know that.

Lurch
07-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Nice read. Another reason to hate Texas too.

Bearcat
07-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Nice read. Another reason to hate Texas too.

Hate Texas because they want stricter academic guidelines? :spock:

While Nebraska's argument isn't a horrible stance, telling students they can earn playing time by having solid grades their Freshman year, the article doesn't say anything about how easy it is to just have that person take Basket Weaving and Freshman Seminar to get him on the field. There's probably some middle ground, like having academic quality points, and it's dumb that Texas can't graduate their players under their own strict guidelines, but they are applying at institutions of higher learning :shrug:

Lurch
07-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Hate Texas because they want stricter academic guidelines? :spock:

While Nebraska's argument isn't a horrible stance, telling students they can earn playing time by having solid grades their Freshman year, the article doesn't say anything about how easy it is to just have that person take Basket Weaving and Freshman Seminar to get him on the field. There's probably some middle ground, like having academic quality points, and it's dumb that Texas can't graduate their players under their own strict guidelines, but they are applying at institutions of higher learning :shrug:I think you missed the point...

Smaller states have a smaller recruiting base (compared to Texas.) Allowing these student athletes on a probationary basis, with tutoring and academic assistance helps them overcome the socio-economic and racial biases of testing and GPA that plagues many urban schools.

The irony is schools that touted this "higher" standard, can't seem to graduate many of the kids they claim to care so much about. While the schools that argued for giving these kids a chance, are graduating a higher per centage of their kids. The hypocrisy of Texas in touting this "standard" was motivated by the desire to gain a competitive advantage over schools from the smaller states that could use this program to compensate for the population disadvantages they have, compared to the Texas schools.

WilliamTheIrish
07-15-2006, 04:11 PM
It's the football version of the 5 and 8 rule.

It was championed by the bball coaches of the 'storied programs', until said programs had multiple NBA defections.

Then they wanted it recinded. And got it.

Sam Hall
07-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Maybe Nebraska wouldn't have trouble winning if Frank Solich could recruit. The reason that coaches in the conference were upset about Solich's firing is because they were beating him.

It should be noted that NU has one of the best student-athlete graduation rates in the country.

Saulbadguy
07-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Solich "couldn't recruit" because had to follow in Osbornes footsteps. Osborne used a loophole to get all the good players to come to NU. When Osborne left, that loophole was closed, and now Nebraska is irrelevant.

Lurch
07-15-2006, 09:05 PM
...now Nebraska is irrelevant.

That's a bit strong....

Saulbadguy
07-15-2006, 09:07 PM
That's a bit strong....
It's true. I love how the NU fans are crowing after a fluke win over the worst Michigan team in years, after they got raped by KU & MU. Throatslash is not a good coach.

Sam Hall
07-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Solich "couldn't recruit" because had to follow in Osbornes footsteps. Osborne used a loophole to get all the good players to come to NU. When Osborne left, that loophole was closed, and now Nebraska is irrelevant.

Solich and the assistant coaches stopped recruiting hard. They could make a kid's final two, but the kid would go somewhere else. We're talking about some very good coaches, but they had to go.

A KSU fan should not call NU irrelevant. It wasn't long ago that NU played for a national championship, deserving or not. NU is starting to rise again. I saw a poll asking people to pick the North champ this season, and KSU was not one of the choices.

Saulbadguy
07-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Solich and the assistant coaches stopped recruiting hard. They could make a kid's final two, but the kid would go somewhere else. We're talking about some very good coaches, but they had to go.

A KSU fan should not call NU irrelevant. It wasn't long ago that NU played for a national championship, deserving or not. NU is starting to rise again. I saw a poll asking people to pick the North champ this season, and KSU was not one of the choices.
KSU is not one of the choices because we will most likely suck next year. Totally new staff, new system, etc...

Sam Hall
07-15-2006, 09:14 PM
That Michigan team was still more talented than NU, yet the Huskers came back and beat them.

Sam Hall
07-15-2006, 09:15 PM
KSU is not one of the choices because we will most likely suck next year. Totally new staff, new system, etc...

That's my point. KSU has other things to worry about besides NU.

PastorMikH
07-15-2006, 11:29 PM
I think Nebraska's problem with their lack of winning has more to do with Osbourn retiring than it does with Texas in the conference. In Stoop's Tenure he's lost to Neb only once. Shoot, Switzer won 75% of his games against Neb. My point is, to me, looking at stats and history, OU has been a tougher opponet than Texas for them over the years. Texas may be new, but OU has been in the same conference for a long time. So I think "the big bad wolf from Texas coming into the conference, that's why we are losing" excuse is a bit lame.

The real reason the Northern Teams aren't winning is because they stink - My Tigers included.

alanm
07-16-2006, 06:27 AM
It's true. I love how the NU fans are crowing after a fluke win over the worst Michigan team in years, after they got raped by KU & MU. Throatslash is not a good coach.
Saul, Saul, Saul... You think you would have come around by now. Apparently not. :shake:

Sam Hall
07-16-2006, 10:38 AM
The OU/NU series goes in cycles. Nebraska is on the wrong side of the cycle right now. The frustration about Texas is because they have tons of money. Texas has more rich boosters than teams in the North. It gives them an advantage.

WilliamTheIrish
07-16-2006, 10:52 AM

NU beat Michigan. Regardless of how good UM was, it was a still a good win.

Does it make UNL the team to beat in the North? Hardly.

This is still the team that needed late heroics and a late flag to beat KSU in Lincoln. It's still the team that got beat badly in Lawrence and in Columbia.

AFAIC, KSU has every reason to believe they can win the North. No team stands out as head and shoulders above the others.

Baconeater
07-16-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm not sure of your exact definition of "crowing", but after getting "raped" by KU & MU, the kids could have easily packed it in for the season. Instead, they sucked it up and finished strong and that's commendable.