PDA

View Full Version : How does one convert "protected" WMA files to "unprotected?"

T-post Tom
07-15-2006, 08:30 PM
I recently lost my mp3 player. A friend told me that an IPOD would be a step up from my previous mp3 player, so I bought one. Well, being technology-challenged, I didn't realise that most of my downloaded music is "WMA protected" and won't work with Itunes. Any advice on making these "unprotected?" These are legally paid for and I should be able to put them anywhere I want, right? There are plenty of hits on google, but I thought I'd start here because of the trust level. Most of you are light years ahead of me when it comes to these type of issues, so I'd appreciate any suggestions that you might have.

Thanks in advance,

'Trading Post' Tom
(Feel free to move this to media center, if you must.)

DaFace
07-15-2006, 08:45 PM
I haven't done it personally, but I've heard that Blaze Media Pro does a decent job. They offer a 15-day trial on their web site here:

http://www.blazemp.com/

Mr. Laz
07-15-2006, 08:56 PM
i have yet to succeed :sulk:

Lurch
07-15-2006, 09:02 PM
i have yet to succeed :sulk:

You sound as if you know....I didn't pay attention to the fine print, of my ITunes agreement.

Can I transfer files to a new computer if I upgrade? Is there a limit on the number of times I can transfer a song to burn it on a CD, or download to an IPod? Thanks in advance. :hmmm:

Mr. Laz
07-15-2006, 09:11 PM
You sound as if you know....I didn't pay attention to the fine print, of my ITunes agreement.

Can I transfer files to a new computer if I upgrade? Is there a limit on the number of times I can transfer a song to burn it on a CD, or download to an IPod? Thanks in advance. :hmmm:
if you change computers you have to backup you licenses or you could get screwed. (i don't know if you can contact Itunes and get them again)

i believe that there are limits ... depends on Itunes ... it varies per service.

Lurch
07-15-2006, 09:14 PM
if you change computers you have to backup you licenses or you could get screwed. (i don't know if you can contact Itunes and get them again)

i believe that there are limits ... depends on Itunes ... it varies per service.Thanks, man.

|Zach|
07-15-2006, 09:57 PM
You can authorize something like 5 different computers with iTunes.

Lurch
07-15-2006, 10:09 PM
You can authorize something like 5 different computers with iTunes.

Thanks.

StcChief
07-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Sony = proprietary technology

T-post Tom
07-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Thanks all. I found a few "recorders" that play the song and capture the sound. Very time consuming. They are apparently legal, but result in a slightly diminished copy which is subject to the quality of your audio card. Most of the "demo" versions only allow you to record 30 seconds of audio, so you'll have to pony up the $20 or so for the full version. And so it goes.

gblowfish
07-16-2006, 08:15 AM
Remove the jimmy cap.

OldTownChief
07-16-2006, 08:21 AM
I think this is what you're asking.

Doing it with itunes very own software. First download all the songs, open itunes player and go to File/New Playlist then move all you songs to your new playlist. Go to edit/prefrences/advanced and make sure Disk Format Audio CD is checked and make sure your burner is listed. Then click OK and go to file/burn playlist to disk. I believe this will remove the protection and you can convert them back to mp3.

Saul Good
07-16-2006, 08:53 AM
The only software that I have found that is fast, easy, and effective is called tunebyte. It will convert the songs at 3x the speed of the song, and the quality is perfect. I think it's $14 or $15 bucks, but it's well worth it.