PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with the Missouri gun law?

wutamess
07-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Reading the laws are so fuccing confusing (and I'm college educated).

Here's what I'm wondering?
Can I ride around town (without a permit) with my loaded gun in my possession?

Or does it have to be unloaded and bullets in a separate place or what?

Any help or an interpretor of the law would really help me out.

milkman
07-15-2006, 09:29 PM
Missouri Gun Law?

He's not allowed anywhere near the fans.

Halfcan
07-15-2006, 09:33 PM
If you are riding around with a concealed loaded gun, with no permit-you are going to jail.

I believe having any loaded gun in your car is illegal.

Lurch
07-15-2006, 09:36 PM
If you don't have a concealed weapons permit, and are caught....you are in big trouble.

Halfcan
07-15-2006, 09:38 PM
In Independence, if you are black and have a cap gun, you are going to jail. After they Rodney King your azz first.

Moooo
07-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Missouri Gun Law?

He's not allowed anywhere near the fans.

There's good reason for this...

http://i7.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/d9/aa/77_1.JPG

Moooo

hypersensitiveZO6
07-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Who are you going to kill?

wutamess
07-15-2006, 09:48 PM
I do a lot of business down in the city and I'm there during the night sometimes and feel comfortable with it.

So if I get a permit... I can carry any gun? Registered or not?

Cochise
07-15-2006, 09:52 PM
I think if having a loaded gun on you without a permit were legal, there wouldn't be permits.

Cochise
07-15-2006, 09:53 PM
btw - http://www.packing.org/state/

beer bacon
07-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Just always remember that you can only have gunfights on weekends, but never on the first Sunday of the month. Also, if you want to shoot somebody on the 4th of July you need a permit for that too.

Iowanian
07-15-2006, 09:55 PM
You'd have to get a CWP..conceled weapon permit.

Every jurisdiction has different lists/requirements in order to get one.

Once you have that permit, you can carry a concealed handgun in your car or on your person....unless you're drinking and not into certain types of buildings.

luv
07-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Don't you have to have a permit to own a gun, loaded or not?

Iowanian
07-15-2006, 10:00 PM
no.

you have to have a permit to purchase handguns.

PastorMikH
07-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Unless the laws have changed in the last 7 years, it is legal to carry a firearm in your car, loaded or unloaded without concealed carry permits as long as it is visable from 3 different locations outside the car.

Now, that does not mean you won't get harrassed by law enforcement for it though.

As for the permit, you used to have to go to the local sherrif and have them do a background check. Then, depending upon your county's waiting period, you have to wait so many days before you get a permit to purchase the handgun. I bought one in KC when I lived in Ray County (Richmond Mo) and it was a 3 day waiting period. I believe Boone County's waiting period was 5 days. The permits and such may have changed when everyone went to the ATF background checks. I have bought pistols in OK and KS and took them home within 10 minutes of the purchase.

PastorMikH
07-15-2006, 10:56 PM

Only for pistols. Rifles and shotguns can be bought W/O permits by anyone over 18 that answers all the questions right on the paperwork you have to fill out for the dealer at the time of sale.

wutamess
07-15-2006, 11:00 PM
That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned; but this hall not justify the wearing of concealed weapons.

From the suggested site.
This looks like I can have one anywhere around me but not on me.

wutamess
07-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Same freaking site:

1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use

See how confusing this is?

PastorMikH
07-15-2006, 11:06 PM
That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned; but this hall not justify the wearing of concealed weapons.

From the suggested site.
This looks like I can have one anywhere around me but not on me.

Actually, it is perfectly legal to carry a gun, as long as it is VISIBLE. Let your jacket accidentally cover it though without a CWP and you're in deep.

If KC gets their way, you could get actually get into more trouble for walking a pit bull down the street than you could for having a loaded gun on your person in plain sight.

After all my years of owning guns, I have never felt the need to carry a loaded firearm in my car during my daily commute. So, the question that is going through my mind is, why the need for a gun in the car in the first place?

wutamess
07-15-2006, 11:11 PM
I own rental property (in the city). I have a pretty nice car. For instance, tonight I had to do some work to my rental home and I was there for some of the night.

Having my car parked out front seems like an invitation.
The wheels I have on the (02 Yukon XL Denali) on 22 inch rims.

wutamess
07-15-2006, 11:15 PM
pic of car...

PastorMikH
07-15-2006, 11:33 PM
You're doing work on rental housing then driving home in that? I'm surprised your wife doesn't shoot you.:)

You need a beat up old truck to drive when you are doing handyman work on the rentals.

:)

wutamess
07-15-2006, 11:38 PM
You're doing work on rental housing then driving home in that? I'm surprised your wife doesn't shoot you.:)

You need a beat up old truck to drive when you are doing handyman work on the rentals.

:)

That's the truth... but the way gas is going... I don't want anything else other than a Geo Metro. So I use that for my Lowes transports.

wutamess
07-15-2006, 11:41 PM
BTW: Found this when using a different search in google.
http://www.mcgheetraining.com/ccwfaq.htm

Looks like...
heard in Missouri, you can now carry concealed in a car without a permit... is that correct?

Yes, at least since February 26 2004 (when the Missouri Supreme Court upheld all but funding provisions of the law as Constitutional), as long as you meet the requirements of the exception. Here's what you're avoiding:

RSMO 571.030.1: "A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly: (1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use..."

And here's how you're avoiding it:

RSMO 571.030.3: "Subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply to any person twenty-one years of age or older transporting a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed..."

AND...
Can I legally carry concealed on my person now in MO? How about in my motorcycle saddlebags?

Sure, as long as you have a valid CCW permit, or if at least one other of 16 or so very specific things is true... otherwise you'd be committing the crime of Unlawful Use of Weapons (a Class D Felony, as I recall) per current Revised Statutes of MO, Chapter 571 Section 30 Subsection 1 Subdivision (1):

RSMO 571.030.1: "A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly: (1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use..."

Okay, now the 16 specific exceptions, each followed by the RSMO reference. The above does NOT apply to you if:

# You're a POST-certified Missouri law enforcement officer (571.030.2 (1)), or
# You're in charge of a jail or prison (571.030.2 (2)), or
# You're in the military and here on duty (571.030.2 (3)), or
# You're a judge (571.030.2 (4)), or
# You're a legal process server (571.030.2 (5)), or
# You're a probation or parole officer (571.030.2 (6)-(7)), or
# You're the bodyguard for a rich guy from St. Louis (571.030.2 (8)), or
# You're a coroner or medical examiner (571.030.2 (9)), or
# You're only carrying a nonfunctional gun (571.030.3), or
# Your gun is unloaded and no ammo is present (571.030.3), or
# Your gun is inaccessible to you (571.030.3), or
# You're at least 21 and carrying a concealed firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle (571.030.3), or
# You're legally hunting at the moment and openly carrying another gun or bow (571.030.3), or
# You're at home or on other property you legally control (571.030.3), or
# You're traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through Missouri (571.030.3), or
# You hold a valid CCW permit from Missouri or any other state or political subdivision (571.030.4).

luv
07-15-2006, 11:44 PM
pic of car...
I think an alarm and a cell phone would work. Why do you you need to carry a gun? If you shoot someone for breaking into your car, wouldn't you get into trouble? The alarm will sound, you can call the cops. If they get away with anything, then I'm sure you're fully insured.

Moooo
07-15-2006, 11:51 PM
What the hell is a Legal Process Server?

Nice to know a Judge can be packing heat, too... I'll remember that.

Moooo

BWillie
07-16-2006, 12:29 AM
Why do you want a gun anyway? Why not go even further, maybe like a flame throwing. I mean the whole premise behind a flame thrower was some guy sitting around thinking to himself. "Man, I wanna light that dude on fire. But I wanna sit here from afar to do it". But seriously, just get a taser or something. It does the job and you won't go to jail when you accidently blow some guys head off when he taps on your shoulder.

Halfcan
07-16-2006, 12:31 AM

Yep, they are called-Gun Permits.

Halfcan
07-16-2006, 12:33 AM
pic of car...

Now it makes sense, you are going to rob a Quick Trip to fill up that american gas guzzler-lol

wutamess
07-16-2006, 07:29 AM
Yep, they are called-Gun Permits.

Wrong... You don't have to have a permit to have a gun. You have to have a permit to purchase a gun and carry it on your person.

Hog Farmer
07-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Everyone should carry a gun. There will be at least one day in your life that you will need it.