PDA

View Full Version : Luke Hochevar and Scott Boras have got to be on drugs

alnorth
07-16-2006, 11:17 AM
From today's Star:

It’s day 40 and counting for the stalled negotiations between the Royals and top draft pick Luke Hochevar, a right-hander represented by Scott Boras.

And while scouting director Deric Ladnier continues to characterize the talks as cordial, he acknowledges Hochevar is on the verge of throwing away a second professional season.

“If he doesn’t get out and pitch,” Ladnier said, “that becomes undeniable at some point. I don’t know what that date is, but there’s no getting around that.”

The minor-league seasons conclude roughly around Labor Day, which leaves about seven weeks, but Hochevar is likely to require a conditioning period once he signs before entering active duty.

Hochevar, 22, re-entered this year’s draft after failing to reach agreement last year with the Dodgers. He made four starts for the Fort Worth Cats, an independent-league team, before the Royals selected him June 6 with the first overall pick.

Ladnier said the two sides “haven’t talked for a while.” He also said the club has not received a formal response from Boras to a revised offer tendered more than two weeks ago.

Attempts to reach Boras were unsuccessful.

Ladnier declined to comment on growing speculation within the industry suggesting the Royals are holding firm to their financial offer but are willing to sign Hochevar to a major-league contract.

Club officials previously confirmed their offer to be in excess of $4 million, which is more than Boras and Hochevar sought last year from the Dodgers. It would also be the highest bonus given this season to a first-round pick with 26 of the 30 selections already under contract.

Right-hander Greg Reynolds, the second overall pick, received $3.25 million from Colorado.

Hochevar's gamble to sit a year already paid off, the Royals are giving him a pretty damned good offer at 4+ Million AND a major-league contract. What the hell else do they want? The Royals have all the leverage, because if he sits another year, he'd be lucky to get 1 million next year.

Forget the Royals, NO team, from the Yankees to the Devil Rays, should be offering more than what the Royals have offered now. Glass has apparently ponied up the necessary cash to sign a kid who has never proven anything in the minors yet, but unfortunately we drafted an idiot.

Bowser
07-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Boras doesn't want his clients in KC. Too "low profile" for his tastes.

58-4ever
07-16-2006, 11:21 AM
It seems as if his agent is an idiot also. I always knew Boras was an ass to deal with, but now he's messing with this kid's future for a what is seemingly a small amount of money.

KChiefs1
07-16-2006, 11:21 AM
I still don't understand why the Royals would draft a Boras client.

Bowser
07-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Here's a list of Boras' clients. Big names and big teams abound.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clients_of_Scott_Boras

Mr. Laz
07-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Royals should of had an agreement BEFORE drafting him.

a benefit of having the first pick .... they were just too stupid to take advantage of it.

Cochise
07-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Royals should of had an agreement BEFORE drafting him.

a benefit of having the first pick .... they were just too stupid to take advantage of it.

Why would Boras have ever agreed to that?

Mr. Laz
07-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Why would Boras have ever agreed to that?
because if he didn't the Royals draft someone else first .... someone who they can get an agreement with and Hochevar loses money by dropping in the draft.

Frazod
07-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Boras doesn't want his clients in KC. Too "low profile" for his tastes.

Yep. In Boras' perfect world, there would only be teams in New York and Los Angeles, and they'd all be his clients. None of the rest of us matter.

I hope he dies of something slowly and painfully, starting soon. :#

banyon
07-16-2006, 11:35 AM
I think Dayton Moore can still get this done.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2006, 11:35 AM
At this point I don't mind the royals playing hardball with borass!! That guy is seriously going to **** up Hochevors career if we dont sign him and he sits another year. I would hate to waste a 1st pick but they are doing the right thing IMO with this punkass borass. Hochevar will be lucky to get anyone willing to take him next year.

Braincase
07-16-2006, 11:46 AM
I still don't understand why the Royals would draft a Boras client.

Put Boras in a fake terrorist bomb vest and paratroop his ass onto an Israeli checkpoint.

FringeNC
07-16-2006, 12:40 PM
You have to blame the Royals on this. You don't draft a guy like that without a contract in place.

Halfcan
07-16-2006, 01:50 PM
You have to blame the Royals on this. You don't draft a guy like that without a contract in place.

Or at least be in the same ballpark. Boreass wants ARod type money for a kid that really has not proven anything. It was a typical stupid wasted pick for the Royals, who continue to show why they are the worst managed team in the league.

Halfcan
07-16-2006, 01:52 PM
I would start dropping the offer by $750,000 every week until this moron signs. Who would draft him a third time-its pretty obvious the kid is all about money. He looks to cash in before he blows his arm out from not pitching for so long.

Mecca
07-16-2006, 03:20 PM
I would start dropping the offer by $750,000 every week until this moron signs. Who would draft him a third time-its pretty obvious the kid is all about money. He looks to cash in before he blows his arm out from not pitching for so long.

That won't work.......Scott Boras has already had 1 guy not sign for like 4 years and now he's an average pitcher in independant league baseball. He's not going to just change his stance. If the kid doesn't sign and never becomes anything it's no skin off Boras back, however if the Royals don't sign the 1st overall pick they become even more of a running national joke than they were before.

The Royals have alot more to lose just in public perception than Boras does......he knows that.

Halfcan
07-16-2006, 03:28 PM
That won't work.......Scott Boras has already had 1 guy not sign for like 4 years and now he's an average pitcher in independant league baseball. He's not going to just change his stance. If the kid doesn't sign and never becomes anything it's no skin off Boras back, however if the Royals don't sign the 1st overall pick they become even more of a running national joke than they were before.

The Royals have alot more to lose just in public perception than Boras does......he knows that.

I think Boreazz will fold. The Royals could never be a bigger joke than they are now. They are are already getting slammed for picking the kid in the first place. If you let a pitcher that really has not done much in the last year-rape you for 5 mil signing bonus-what will happen next year when we pick number 1. You are setting a bad precedent.

Give Boreazz a call and tell that pr#ck to shove it up his azz.

Halfcan
07-16-2006, 03:29 PM
Bottom line, this will go down as one of the Royals worst picks ever!

Sure-Oz
07-16-2006, 03:33 PM
We have had many bad 1st round picks, this won't be any different. Hochalugy needs to say "hey 4 mill is better than nothing" at this point, cuz he wont get shit after this year.

Ari Chi3fs
07-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Hochevar was selected by Los Angeles Dodgers in 39th Round (1171st overall) of the 2002 MLB amateur entry draft, but did not sign. The Dodgers would select Hochevar again, this time in the 1st Round (40th overall) of the 2005 MLB amateur entry draft. After heated, disparate negotiations between the Dodgers, Hochevar and his agent, Scott Boras, Hochevar suddenly switched agents, accepted a $2.98 million signing bonus from scouting director Logan White, then returned to Boras the next day and reneged on the deal. Several months of lukewarm talks continued with Hochevar pitching in an independent league, but amidst much bitterness, the two sides never came close to reaching a new agreement.

He re-entered the draft again in 2006 and was selected first overall by the Kansas City Royals to the dismay of many fans who felt he should not be rewarded for his repeated post-draft holdouts and controversies, and others who felt he simply was not the best pitcher available. He is presently in negotiations with the Royals, and has not yet signed.

Halfcan
07-16-2006, 03:38 PM
We have had many bad 1st round picks, this won't be any different. Hochalugy needs to say "hey 4 mill is better than nothing" at this point, cuz he wont get shit after this year.

There were some pretty good pitchers we passed up to draft a kid that does not even want to play. He wants to cash his 5 million dollar check and retire after a few games in the minors. If he really wanted to play baseball he would already have a year in the minors under his belt.

This is why the Royals suck so bad. They are an embarrassment to the city.

Ari Chi3fs
07-16-2006, 03:38 PM
3rd time he has done this shit...

Halfcan
07-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Hochevar was selected by Los Angeles Dodgers in 39th Round (1171st overall) of the 2002 MLB amateur entry draft, but did not sign. The Dodgers would select Hochevar again, this time in the 1st Round (40th overall) of the 2005 MLB amateur entry draft. After heated, disparate negotiations between the Dodgers, Hochevar and his agent, Scott Boras, Hochevar suddenly switched agents, accepted a $2.98 million signing bonus from scouting director Logan White, then returned to Boras the next day and reneged on the deal. Several months of lukewarm talks continued with Hochevar pitching in an independent league, but amidst much bitterness, the two sides never came close to reaching a new agreement.

He re-entered the draft again in 2006 and was selected first overall by the Kansas City Royals to the dismay of many fans who felt he should not be rewarded for his repeated post-draft holdouts and controversies, and others who felt he simply was not the best pitcher available. He is presently in negotiations with the Royals, and has not yet signed.

Other teams at the draft had to be laughing outloud at this dumbassery. ROFL So this was the third time?? What a joke.

Stoopid Royals! :cuss:

chief2000
07-16-2006, 04:05 PM
The owners need a rookie salary cap.

I heard that they don't even have it on the table.

Stupid. The whole concept of the draft is to HELP teams.

Mecca
07-16-2006, 04:13 PM
The players union runs baseball.......they'll never get any kind of cap passed for anything.

tk13
07-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Royals hold all the leverage here. I wouldn't be too worried about it yet, we came closer to losing Gordon last year. They're waiting on Andrew Miller, I'm pretty sure. I don't think he's agreed on a contract with the Tigers. Boras is waiting to see if Detroit gives him a bunch of money outside the slotting range, which is very possible. The Red Sox had a deal with him to give him a ton of money if he slid that far down the board, but the Tigers stepped in and messed that up.

And knowing Boras, I wouldn't be so sure he didn't have an agreement in place with us then backed out. I really don't like the idea of giving the guy a major league contract, but of course Boras is going to bleed that turnip dry.

Moooo
07-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Here's a list of Boras' clients. Big names and big teams abound.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clients_of_Scott_Boras

Where is Rick Ankiel nowadays? I know no one else will care, but I've actually talked to him a few times at my old job. He was a really nice guy.

Plus, IMO it was just weird what happend to him.

Moooo

tk13
07-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Where is Rick Ankiel nowadays? I know no one else will care, but I've actually talked to him a few times at my old job. He was a really nice guy.

Plus, IMO it was just weird what happend to him.

Moooo
Last year he decided to give up pitching and become an OF. He was a pretty good hitting pitcher. He actually worked his way up to AA I do believe... but I think he's been hurt all year this year, I'm not totally sure, you could probably look it up. The mental pressure just ate him up. He had actually come back and found his control again and made it back to the Cards bullpen, but I guess he'd just had enough stress over pitching.

Moooo
07-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Last year he decided to give up pitching and become an OF. He was a pretty good hitting pitcher. He actually worked his way up to AA I do believe... but I think he's been hurt all year this year, I'm not totally sure, you could probably look it up. The mental pressure just ate him up. He had actually come back and found his control again and made it back to the Cards bullpen, but I guess he'd just had enough stress over pitching.

I was talking to him and he was talking about he plays RF now. He offered me tickets to the Cards game (I'm in Springfield), but I already had some. They lost, but he jacked out 2 homers. I was impressed.

That's why I was curious. I was seeing a pretty good hitter in him. He seems like a good athlete all the way around.

Moooo