PDA

View Full Version : OK..I've made my house wireless...what do I need to protect me that I need to be

Mosbonian
07-16-2006, 07:50 PM
made aware of....

All you computer geeks......how about a little information.

I know I want probably want to protect my home computers...how do I do that?

mmaddog

SLAG
07-16-2006, 08:06 PM
if you are using a NAT router make sure you have the WEP security enabled at least... make sure its at 128 bit encryption.... also make sure the firewall is up and the DMZ ports closed...

after that you should be farily good to go... unless you work for al queda

DaFace
07-16-2006, 08:08 PM
The main thing is that you have turned on some level of security for your router. Typically people use a WEP key or WPA key that works like a password. Anytime you connect a new computer to your wireless network, you have to type in the password. Many wireless routers come out of the box with no security at all because it's the easiest to set up. If you don't do the security thing, your neighbors or anyone passing by could use your connection and (possibly) get into any shared files on your computer. So I guess the moral of this rambling story is to turn on the security settings. If you need help, let me know what type of router you're using and I'll see what I can do.

Aside from that, software firewalls are a must on all your computers. However, you probably already have this taken care of (WindowsXP has a basic firewall built in). If you didn't, you'd be getting all sorts of annoying messages from Windows.

Mosbonian
07-16-2006, 08:20 PM
The main thing is that you have turned on some level of security for your router. Typically people use a WEP key or WPA key that works like a password. Anytime you connect a new computer to your wireless network, you have to type in the password. Many wireless routers come out of the box with no security at all because it's the easiest to set up. If you don't do the security thing, your neighbors or anyone passing by could use your connection and (possibly) get into any shared files on your computer. So I guess the moral of this rambling story is to turn on the security settings. If you need help, let me know what type of router you're using and I'll see what I can do.

Aside from that, software firewalls are a must on all your computers. However, you probably already have this taken care of (WindowsXP has a basic firewall built in). If you didn't, you'd be getting all sorts of annoying messages from Windows.

I sent you an IM....

mmaddog

Mosbonian
07-16-2006, 08:21 PM
if you are using a NAT router make sure you have the WEP security enabled at least... make sure its at 128 bit encryption.... also make sure the firewall is up and the DMZ ports closed...

after that you should be farily good to go... unless you work for al queda

I'm not much of a threat....I don't even play with fireworks anymore. :)

mmaddog

Count Alex's Losses
07-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Aside from that, software firewalls are a must on all your computers.

:rolleyes:

DaFace
07-16-2006, 08:58 PM
:rolleyes:

Perhaps, but adware/spyware programs will obliterate a machine running XP Service Pack 1 before they updated the firewall. SP2's firewall seems to limit the damage at least a little.

htismaqe
07-16-2006, 09:34 PM
1. Change the default SSID on your wireless network. People just love logging into unsecured networks name
"linksys".

2. Turn SSID broadcast OFF. You configured your wireless access point, you KNOW the SSID. So why tell everybody around you what it is?

3. Turn on WEP/WPA. If you have WPA, use it. WEP is a little weak, but it's better than nothing. Also, use the highest level of encryption available - at least 128-bit.

4. Turn on MAC address security. Once a wireless adapter connects to your router, it will show up in the MAC address table. Go into your router settings and change the MAC address of your wireless computer to "allow". Then change the global default to "deny".

Mosbonian
07-16-2006, 11:50 PM
Thanks all.....luckily for me I had done most everything but the WEP/WPA change...

Thumbs up for the Planet denizens...

mmaddog