PDA

View Full Version : HP Computer... Brother laser printer... hp color inkjet...

jAZ
07-16-2006, 10:04 PM
So we bought an HP desktop about 6 months ago. It came with a free HP color printer. We have a Brother all in one laser/fax/scanner/copier that we use as the default printer.

We have it set as default.

Every time we restart the HP computer, it resets the HP inkjet printer to be the default printer.

It really pisses me off. Any idea how to fix this "bug"? Google doesn't like this topic much.

SLAG
07-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Something like this might help...

lightens the load on your PC too

https://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail~dpno~422947.asp

DaFace
07-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Hmm...that's a weird one. I'd try a couple things, neither of which are likely to be quick fixes.

First, HP printers have a huge number of programs that run on startup, many of which you don't need. You might try using msconfig (Start: Run: msconfig) to disable all the HP printer crap just to try it out. If you restart and your Brother is still set to default, turn the HP stuff back on one at a time until you find the one that's causing the issue. If it's not vital (most HP crap isn't), just leave it turned off. If disabling all that stuff doesn't make a difference, I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer to see if that makes any difference.

The nice thing about msconfig is that nothing you change in there is permanent, so you don't have to worry about screwing anything up. If something's not working right, you just go back in, turn it back on, and restart.