PDA

View Full Version : Protein Question

ferrarispider95
07-17-2006, 02:54 AM
When you are trying to build muscle mass; how do you eat 1 gram for every lb of your bodyweight?

I weigh 200 lbs and almost find it impossible to get 200 grams of protein everyday. Can you eat any less on that days that you don't workout, or should I always aim for 200?

Here are some items that I have been eating
Low-fat cottage cheese - 13 grams per serving
String Cheese - 9 grams per stick
Arbys Ham Melt - 14 grams (6 grams fat)
Protein shake - 17 grams
Grilled Chicken
Oatmeal 4 grams

Also any other ideas on some good food that is simple to make or buy. I am trying to stick to low fat, high protein, so I can limit the fat I gain while bulking. Also any supplement I should be taking? I am taking vitamins and drinking lots of water. thanks

mcan
07-17-2006, 03:04 AM
When you are trying to build muscle mass; how do you eat 1 gram for every lb of your bodyweight?

I weigh 200 lbs and almost find it impossible to get 200 grams of protein everyday. Can you eat any less on that days that you don't workout, or should I always aim for 200?

Here are some items that I have been eating
Low-fat cottage cheese - 13 grams per serving
String Cheese - 9 grams per stick
Arbys Ham Melt - 14 grams (6 grams fat)
Protein shake - 17 grams
Grilled Chicken
Oatmeal 4 grams

Also any other ideas on some good food that is simple to make or buy. I am trying to stick to low fat, high protein, so I can limit the fat I gain while bulking. Also any supplement I should be taking? I am taking vitamins and drinking lots of water. thanks

There aren't a whole lot of high protein/low fat foods out there. What you have is pretty good though, and those are staples of a bodybuilder's diet. When you're bulking, many hardcore bodybuilders will go on a "see food" diet. They obviously eat ANYTHING and EVERYTHING they can get ahold of.

One gram per pound isn't necessary, but it HELPS. In fact, there are a lot of guys who would consider that minimum. But talk to any dietician and they will say that FAR exceeds the amount needed for protein resynthesis. Then, they will go on and on about the need for carbs in a diet plan... This flies right in the face of what has worked for decades for the guys in the gym, but... Whatever...

You want ideas for how to eat when you're trying to get bigger? Here's the motherload:

http://www.t-nation.com/articleCategory.jsp?category=diet&pageNo=1

Be forewarned. There is a lot of product peddeling (that's how they keep the site up) but the information is free and from a variety of well respected authors who give straight information.

Kerberos
07-17-2006, 04:11 AM
I gained over 20lbs of muscle just eating Tuna, Rice, Chicken Breast and Salads along with taking the suplement Met-RX when it first came out in the early 90's.

There are allot of places making full nutritional supplements like Met-RX now and they have all your body needs to grow added to a good protien diet.

But Fish is one of the BEST low fat protien sources you can find. If you can stand the smell JackMackrel is a great source of protien.

Ultra Peanut
07-17-2006, 04:18 AM
Turkey is yummy.

At least, that's my expert opinion on the matter.

CrazyHorse
07-17-2006, 04:26 AM
Another good rule of thumb is to eat your protien intake within an hour after your workout. It's at this time when your body is looking for fuel. If you feed it protien at this time is will likely absorb it at a higher rate.

If I am not mistaken, eggs are THE best source of protien.. I eat 8 egg whites with 2 yolks scrambled every morning. Each egg has approx. 6 grams of protien. Multiply that times 8 eggs and you have 48 grams of protien. Then I have 6 ounces of lean ham which is approx 28 grams of protien. This alone is worth 76 grams of protien.

8 eggs sounds like alot. But when you remove 6 yolks it's not that much. By removing the yolks you remove all the bad stuff. But you also remove all the good stuff (flavor). It takes getting used to. But it's like getting used to 2% milk. After awhile it doesn't bother you.

Kerberos
07-17-2006, 04:34 AM
Another good rule of thumb is to eat your protien intake within an hour after your workout. It's at this time when your body is looking for fuel. If you feed it protien at this time is will likely absorb it at a higher rate.

If I am not mistaken, eggs are THE best source of protien.. I eat 8 egg whites with 2 yolks scrambled every morning. Each egg has approx. 6 grams of protien. Multiply that times 8 eggs and you have 48 grams of protien. Then I have 6 ounces of lean ham which is approx 28 grams of protien. This alone is worth 76 grams of protien.

8 eggs sounds like alot. But when you remove 6 yolks it's not that much. By removing the yolks you remove all the bad stuff. But you also remove all the good stuff (flavor). It takes getting used to. But it's like getting used to 2% milk. After awhile it doesn't bother you.

Hey man you eat raw egg whites? Before I started using the Met-RX years ago I would eat like 8-12 raw egg whites in the morning. Great protien but man does the human body have a hard time digesting it.

Gas was so F******* foul I had few friends that refused to ride in the car with me.

CrazyHorse
07-17-2006, 05:08 AM
Hey man you eat raw egg whites? Before I started using the Met-RX years ago I would eat like 8-12 raw egg whites in the morning. Great protien but man does the human body have a hard time digesting it.

Gas was so F******* foul I had few friends that refused to ride in the car with me.

No raw egg whites for me.

I am not sure what the difference would be. But from what I understand, the body absorbs no other source of protien as well as egg protien.

Now some of those protien candy bars can make for some bad car experiences.

Cave Johnson
07-17-2006, 08:38 AM
You're probably already doing this, but a good protein shake in addition to high protein foods works wonders. My routine is 1 Optimum Nutrition Whey shake in the morning (half milk, half water) and 1 after workouts or in the evening on off days. I'm in the 170-175 range, so you'd probably need at least 3 a day.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-17-2006, 08:45 AM
... suplement Met-RX when it first came out in the early 90's. ...

My name is Willy, Willy Beaman.
I keep the ladies, Cravin.
And all my fans, They're screamin.
You can't defeat me, Your dreamin

ferrarispider95
07-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the advice, looks like I need to put down some eggs in the morning. That would be a huge jump start for the day.

I always take down a protein shake or copious amounts of protein right after I work out.

The main problem I have is that I don't eat a whole lot in the summer. I am 6'5" and have been the same body weight all through college to now. It is hard for me to gain weight and also hard for me to lose it.

Thanks

Rausch
07-17-2006, 10:36 AM
I've been eating a lot of baked fish. It's loaded with protein and doesn't feel like you're squeezing off a V2 rocket after 2-3 weeks on the new diet.

Oh, and eat a $#itload of fiber...

StcChief
07-17-2006, 11:39 AM
My name is Willy, Willy Beaman.
I keep the ladies, Cravin.
And all my fans, They're screamin.
You can't defeat me, Your dreamin

greate quote from 'On Any Given Sunday'

el borracho
07-17-2006, 11:53 AM
#1: get advice from someone with your body style who has accomplished what you wish to accomplish. There are tons of comprehensive books available on bodybuilding. I've gotten a lot of use from Schwarzenegger's "New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding."

#2: Keep record of what you are doing and the effect it has on your body and modify your diet and workout to fit you. You can't just workout harder- you have to workout smarter. Three to five weeks should be long enough to figure out if your diet and/ or training are taking you the direction you want.

#3: What worked for me: I gained almost 30 pounds in 1 1/2 years with acceptable (to me) fat gain; went from 190 lbs. to almost 220; gaining only two inches in the waist, from 32 to 34. I did this by alternating protein shakes with real meals, eating about every 3 hours, 5 or 6 times a day (5 or 6 times including the protein shakes). You will gain fat along with your new muscle but you can do it intelligently and drop the fat later. At my heaviest no one ever called me fat but, again, you have to pay attention to your body. At one point I did feel I was getting too puffy so I changed my diet slightly; started using 2% milk in the shakes instead of whole milk and made my meals just a bit smaller, still eating 5 or 6 times a day.

#4: You have to be consistent in three things- exercise, diet and rest. Your body will not grow the way you want it to if you are not lifting smart, eating smart and resting well. Again, you have to workout smarter- not harder.

#5: You have to be persistent. Your body has a set weight that it maintains naturally. It takes time to change that.

#6: I really can't stress enough how important it is to be smart, consistent and persistent. Without these things you will see very little gain.

Best of luck to you!

sedated
07-17-2006, 12:04 PM
tuna has a lot of protein withour much fat.

a small can has about 35 grams.

almonds do too, from what I hear.

mac58
07-17-2006, 12:07 PM
have a bunch of egg whites in ther morn. . .turkey, chicken, fish. . .ect. . .and whey protien shakes. . .have 2 shakes a day of a high whey protien shake. . and one shot of sustanon

ferrarispider95
07-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the advice, one more question. How do you seperate the egg yolk out, I just tried it and was having very little luck. Is there some trick or something.

BTW, I lift 3 times a week, different muscles each day, and try to get aerobic exerices 5 x a week.

Doing 1 warmup set for each exercise, then 3 sets at 6 -8 reps of the heaviest I can lift. I have been able increasing the weight in every exercise, and it is coming easy right now. (1.5 months)

JimNasium
07-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the advice, one more question. How do you seperate the egg yolk out, I just tried it and was having very little luck. Is there some trick or something.

BTW, I lift 3 times a week, different muscles each day, and try to get aerobic exerices 5 x a week.

Doing 1 warmup set for each exercise, then 3 sets at 6 -8 reps of the heaviest I can lift. I have been able increasing the weight in every exercise, and it is coming easy right now. (1.5 months)
http://www.ehow.com/how_2640_separate-egg-whites.html

sedated
07-17-2006, 12:11 PM
How do you seperate the egg yolk out, I just tried it and was having very little luck. Is there some trick or something.

you can buy a utensil that will separate them.

but it's easier to do it in the shell (as JimNasium's post explains)

pretty much just break the shell into equal parts, and pour the yolk back and forth, dripping the white into a bowl beneath.

KCTitus
07-17-2006, 12:12 PM
If you ever tire of the protein shake, I found a great change of pace called Nectar. I use the lemon iced tea version and mixes very easily with 8-12 oz of water and tastes exactly like tea.

I usually do 2 of those after working out for ~50g protein.

Turkey/Chicken/Eggs/Rice are the diet staples.

el borracho
07-17-2006, 12:27 PM
A couple more things:

1: You probably don't want to do so much aerobic exercise while trying to gain weight. Aerobic exercise burns a lot of calories.

2: You might think about changing your protein shake to one that has between 40 and 50 grams of protein (which is about the limit your body can process at one time). Three of those a day = 120-150 grams of protein which is almost your goal right there.

3: Do yourself a favor and cut Arbys and all other fast food out of your diet.

CupidStunt
07-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Isn't pasta just as good, if not better, than rice?

Guess it depends on the type of each, but the pasta I'm eating right now is higher per 100g in protein than the rice I have.

chief2000
07-17-2006, 01:04 PM
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&client=firefox-a&q=protein+supplements+muscle+growth&btnG=Search

Kerberos
07-17-2006, 01:52 PM
#1: get advice from someone with your body style who has accomplished what you wish to accomplish. There are tons of comprehensive books available on bodybuilding. I've gotten a lot of use from Schwarzenegger's "New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding."!

Great book. Used allot of Arnolds lifts and different styles of motion to get maximum range out of each muscle you work out. :thumb:

workout smarter- not harder

Very well said. I can't say it any better than this. You gotta have rest for muscles to repair themselves. BUT you have to SHOCK your muscles in a big way to get them to break down and start repair on building as well. I used to go in two week cycles doing 3 sets of 10 for 10 days and then go to 5 sets of 5 for 10 days and then do all out BLASTS of as much as I could lift for as many reps I could get for one week or as many days as it took to get every body part done in each set class. (Wanna blast your thighs? Try 10 sets of 10 with 225) :D

I used to lift for 30-45 minutes a day 3-5 days a week depending on my schedule. You don't need over an hour in the gym to get results, as long as that the time you put in is HARD and vigorous. Maybe an hour and a half a week of cardio to keep in shape by riding mountain bike 30 minutes 3 days a week as hard as I could stand to ride it.

Elborracho is correct ... Lifting smart is NOT staying in the gym for 3 hours trying to wear yourself out. You can do that by lifting HARD and efficiently for 30 minutes and leave knowing you just shocked the shit out of your muscles.

chief2000
07-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Yogurt and water mixed with a little salt.

Great drink. Protein.

htismaqe
07-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Yogurt and water mixed with a little salt.

Great drink. Protein.

Yogurt, even fat-free yogurt, is loaded with sugar and yields about half the protein of an egg.

htismaqe
07-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Isn't pasta just as good, if not better, than rice?

Guess it depends on the type of each, but the pasta I'm eating right now is higher per 100g in protein than the rice I have.

Depends on whether or not it's whole grain.

Bleached and processed pasta is really pretty much just empty calories.

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 02:35 PM
I think Denise said she was on some super high protein diet. Had something to do with camels if I recall correctly. You might ask her about it.

ROYC75
07-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Ask GoChiefs, from the sounds of it he gets alot of protein shakes .......... :shrug:

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 03:47 PM
I think Denise said she was on some super high protein diet. Had something to do with camels if I recall correctly. You might ask her about it.

Something about super fresh protein that's good for your complexion too.

htismaqe
07-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Ask GoChiefs, from the sounds of it he gets alot of protein shakes .......... :shrug:

They only do you good if you drink them.

ROYC75
07-17-2006, 03:54 PM
They only do you good if you drink them.

I asked him if he slurped them, he yes but sometimes they are injected in him.

htismaqe
07-17-2006, 03:58 PM
I asked him if he slurped them, he yes but sometimes they are injected in him.

That's what I figured.

Protein enemas have no nutritional value.

jiveturkey
07-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Yogurt, even fat-free yogurt, is loaded with sugar and yields about half the protein of an egg.Which sucks. High fructose corn syrup is usually the 2nd or 3rd ingredient.

I've had to move it to the dessert category and replace it with old fashion oat meal in the morning.