PDA

View Full Version : 'South Park' reopening that 'Closet'

Fried Meat Ball!
07-17-2006, 01:00 PM
This may be a repeat, but there was some comments about another episode (and Family Guy) that made me laugh (last paragraph)...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2006-07-13-south-park_x.htm

'South Park' reopening that 'Closet'

PASADENA, Calif. The South Park boys are putting Tom Cruise back in the closet.

"Trapped in the Closet," a November episode mocking Cruise and Scientology, was scheduled to repeat in March but was pulled at the last minute. In response, Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker threatened to sever their ties with Comedy Central and Viacom.

Apparently all is forgiven: The Emmy-nominated episode will repeat Wednesday, and Parker and Stone are laying out plans for a new seven-episode Park run starting Oct. 4. Would they really have quit? "I don't know if we would have totally not worked on South Park ever again," Stone told TV writers at their semiannual gathering. "But we have a couple of movies with Viacom, and it's tough to go work for people you think may be holding one of your episodes hostage. But that's sort of water under the bridge now."

To be fair, official word from Comedy Central is that Closet was not pulled, it just didn't make it into the repeat rotation. Stone and Parker say they believe Viacom yanked the episode under pressure from Cruise, star of the company's Mission: Impossible franchise. "We can't think of any other reason," Parker says. Cruise has denied it.

This was not the only controversy to strike Park this season, or even the one they care about most. As a comment on the riots over the Danish cartoon caricatures of Mohammed, they did a two-part April episode, "Cartoon Wars," that used the Islamic prophet's image. Comedy Central forced them to obscure it.

What's odd, Stone says, is that they did an episode in 2001 that portrayed Mohammed as a superhero who can turn himself into a beaver. It's out on DVD and runs in syndication, he says, "and no one even notices. ... We watched a new taboo being created out of nothing, and we all sat by."

Still, there was one upside to "Cartoon Wars": The spoof also attacked Fox's Family Guy, which was shown as being written by manatees that use floating balls to make random combinations of jokes and topics. "The day that episode aired," Parker says, "we got flowers from The Simpsons. We got calls from King of the Hill saying we were doing God's work."

hypersensitiveZO6
07-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Trapped in Closet

http://www.piczo.com/allaboutsouthpark?g=3970152&cr=3

Cartoon Wars

1 http://www.piczo.com/allaboutsouthpark?g=10693420&cr=3

2 http://www.piczo.com/allaboutsouthpark?g=10746402&cr=3

hypersensitiveZO6
07-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Every knows South Park makes fun of every religion, and scientology is just one of them. Tom is being a prick.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-17-2006, 01:28 PM
This is what I laughed at... even though I love Family Guy.

"The day that episode aired," Parker says, "we got flowers from The Simpsons. We got calls from King of the Hill saying we were doing God's work."

Pitt Gorilla
07-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Family Guy>>>South Park.

chagrin
07-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Family Guy>>>South Park.

no doubt, dude

furthermore, isn't it about time matt and trey come out of the closet already as well? I still think they're a couple of girls, whining about attention, almost as bad as Liza Minelli and Elton John those two

htismaqe
07-17-2006, 02:57 PM
Family Guy>>>South Park.

They never should have brought it back. It's dumb beyond dumb now.

Baby Lee
07-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Family Guy>>>South Park.
Have you seen the Cartoon Wars episodes?
I like both shows, and SP actually does a pretty even-handed job of encapsulating the differences between the shows.

The version of TFG they do as a spoof is funny as a spoof, and still somehow funny as typical TFG fare.

Then Kenny and Cartman have the meta-argument about the differing styles.

Cartman: "When I do a bit, it isn't just a mishmash of pop culture references drawn from thin air. My bits are organic and push the narrative forward Gawddammmit!!"

Kenny: "Whatever dude. TFG is pretty funny, and sometimes you just want to laugh."

Radar Chief
07-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Have you seen the Cartoon Wars episodes?
I like both shows, and SP actually does a pretty even-handed job of encapsulating the differences between the shows.

The version of TFG they do as a spoof is funny as a spoof, and still somehow funny as typical TFG fare.

Then Kenny and Cartman have the meta-argument about the differing styles.

Cartman: "When I do a bit, it isn't just a mishmash of pop culture references drawn from thin air. My bits are organic and push the narrative forward Gawddammmit!!"

Kenny: "Whatever dude. TFG is pretty funny, and sometimes you just want to laugh."

I think you mean Kyle, not Kenny. Otherwise yea, spot on. :thumb:

Baby Lee
07-17-2006, 03:04 PM
I think you mean Kyle, not Kenny. Otherwise yea, spot on. :thumb:
This is just like the time when I got that job cooking omlettes for Weezie Jefferson!!!

chagrin
07-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Season 4 may not have been as consistently good as the previous 3, but there were more good episodes than bad episodes, new shows are coming in September.

Spicy McHaggis
07-17-2006, 03:36 PM
They never should have brought it back. It's dumb beyond dumb now.

Family Guy is/was great... but it's not even the best animated show to be canceled by Fox.

HerculesRockefell
07-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Family Guy>>>South Park.

Family Guy has gotten less and less funny since it was brought back.

htismaqe
07-17-2006, 03:41 PM

Yup.

sedated
07-17-2006, 03:42 PM
no mention of American Dad?

Spicy McHaggis
07-17-2006, 03:46 PM

They ruined Stewie. The evil, megalomaniacal baby who is obsessed with matricide thing was hilarious and now they've just gone effeminate with him.

Rudy lost the toss
07-17-2006, 04:49 PM
This is just like the time when I got that job cooking omlettes for Weezie Jefferson!!!
you think that's bad... remember the time I won a date to Mexico with Gary Coleman...