PDA

View Full Version : Overland Park 6th Best place to live.

sd4chiefs
07-17-2006, 02:15 PM
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2006/top100/

1 Fort Collins, CO 128,000
2 Naperville, IL 141,600
3 Sugar Land, TX 75,800
4 Columbia/Ellicott City, MD 159,200
5 Cary, NC 106,400
6 Overland Park, KS 164,800
7 Scottsdale, AZ 226,000
8 Boise, ID 193,200
9 Fairfield, CT 57,800
10 Eden Prairie, MN 60,600
11 Plano, TX 250,100
12 Eagan, MN 63,700
13 Olathe, KS 112,100
14 West Bloomfield , MI 65,000
15 Richardson, TX 99,200
16 Gilbert, AZ 178,100
17 Parsippany-Troy Hills, NJ 51,600
18 Santa Clarita, CA 172,500
19 Carrollton, TX 124,700
20 Henderson, NV 232,100
21 Bellevue, WA 117,100
22 Newton, MA 83,200
23 Sandy, UT 89,700
24 Westminster, CO 105,100
25 Ann Arbor, MI 113,300

Moooo
07-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Boise is the only one that is the main part of its town. The rest are linking cities to major metro areas or suburbs.

In most towns, for every Overland Park there's a KCK, for every Ann Arbor there's a Flint. Boise must be a pretty dang nice place!

Moooo

sedated
07-17-2006, 02:23 PM
nothin but clan members and mormons in Boise

bobbything
07-17-2006, 02:25 PM
That article lost all credibility when it listed Wichita, KS as one of the "10 Best Big Cities" to live in.

DaKCMan AP
07-17-2006, 02:27 PM
All of those places, save Scottsdale, suck.

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Who the **** makes these lists? There is no way those are the top.

Dartgod
07-17-2006, 02:31 PM
2 Naperville, IL 141,600

I bet they'd change this ranking if they knew Frazod lives there.

morphius
07-17-2006, 02:35 PM
People that don't care about the rights of Pit Bull owners :D

sd4chiefs
07-17-2006, 02:37 PM
That article lost all credibility when it listed Wichita, KS as one of the "10 Best Big Cities" to live in.

Wow. I just saw that. I hate it when I have to go there to visit my In-laws.

MOhillbilly
07-17-2006, 02:38 PM
nothin but clan members and mormons in Boise

do you mean Klan members? or is 'clan members' a eviler subset of the mormons?

chop
07-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Boise is the only one that is the main part of its town. The rest are linking cities to major metro areas or suburbs.

In most towns, for every Overland Park there's a KCK, for every Ann Arbor there's a Flint. Boise must be a pretty dang nice place!

Moooo

Hey now, I live in Flint. Flint isn't the most attractive place to live.

I just visited the parents, in Eudora Ks., and my kids told me that they could tell a big difference in the cleanliness of MI (Flint) vs. every other place we traveled through on the drive to Kansas.

Brock
07-17-2006, 02:40 PM
City stats Best places average

Bars
(within 15 miles) 563 204

pretty much says it all about Wichita.

CoMoChief
07-17-2006, 02:43 PM
My aunt lives in Naperville, IL and I think the city sucks.

tk13
07-17-2006, 02:43 PM
I think they designed this as the best places to live for people, not kitchen appliances.

HemiEd
07-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Hey Frazod lives in Naperville, he will be happy with that list. I think he is the only one in town that does not drive a Beemer.

HemiEd
07-17-2006, 02:49 PM

oops.

chief2000
07-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Olathe ! You is my bitches.
Haha.

jlscorpio
07-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Eden Prairie is nice...My mother in law lives there

jlscorpio
07-17-2006, 03:17 PM
and so does Prince...

jiveturkey
07-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Lenexa, KS blows Olathe and OP away. Olathe has turned into a giant Target parking lot with loads of useless shopping.

chief2000
07-17-2006, 03:21 PM
haha

Donger
07-17-2006, 03:26 PM
and so does Prince...

This guy?

Braincase
07-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Best place to live? Anyplace within driving distance of a Chiefs' Home Game!

sedated
07-17-2006, 03:41 PM
and so does Prince...

would you like some grapes?

Lonewolf Ed
07-17-2006, 03:46 PM
I do not know how Olathe made the list at all, let alone that highly ranked. They must have ranked east of I-35 and not the old part of town, the 66061 side. Not much goes into fixing potholes on my side of town, not compared to all the funds that get tossed over on the 66062 side. Just look at all the bail bonds huts on the 66061 side and count the fast food joints. I bet there are over 70 percent of Olathe's fast food places on the west side.

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 03:48 PM
People that don't care about the rights of Pit Bull owners :D
ROFL No doubt, who would want to live there? ROFL They have a weird set of parameters they set to come up wiht this shit. I remember some years back they named Fremont California in the top 5. Fremont sucks. No good restaurants, expensive and the cops are some of the biggest dickheads I have ever seen out here. I could on and on about WAY nicer places out here.

Moooo
07-17-2006, 03:49 PM
ROFL No doubt, who would want to live there? ROFL They have a weird set of parameters they set to come up wiht this shit. I remember some years back they named Fremont California in the top 5. Fremont sucks. No good restaurants, expensive and the cops are some of the biggest dickheads I have ever seen out here. I could on and on about WAY nicer places out here.

Van Nuys?

Moooo

Miles
07-17-2006, 03:59 PM
I guess if you use statistics to try and determine the best places to live you get a buch of crappy suburbs and small towns.

Moooo
07-17-2006, 04:01 PM
I guess if you use statistics to try and determine the best places to live you get a buch of crappy suburbs and small towns.

I'm sure most all of the cities chosen have little to no cultural diversity or anything of the sort.

That's why with all of these sort of things its good to see what they used as a factor to see if its what you deep important as well...

Moooo

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Van Nuys?

Moooo

There are WAY nicer places all over California but I was specifically talking about the bay area around Fremont. Going North anything from Marin on up is very nice. Here just across the bay Kings Mountain, San Mateo Highlands, San Carlos Hills and on and on. You almost have to search for areas that are not nicer. You go South the Santa Cruz mountains are pretty sweet as is Los Gatos. I don't even like Fremont at all. I lived there for 3 years and the only time I was there was to sleep.

PunkinDrublic
07-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Damn it man I grew up in Overland Park. There goes my street cred. :banghead:

Moooo
07-17-2006, 04:05 PM
There are WAY nicer places all over California but I was specifically talking about the bay area around Fremont. Going North anything from Marin on up is very nice. Here just across the bay Kings Mountain, San Mateo Highlands, San Carlos Hills and on and on. You almost have to search for areas that are not nicer. You go South the Santa Cruz mountains are pretty sweet as is Los Gatos. I don't even like Fremont at all. I lived there for 3 years and the only time I was there was to sleep.

So, you don't like the valley? :)

Sorry, I'm using my limited California knowledge...

Just out of curiosity, what is Bakersfield like? I hear the weather is great...

Moooo

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 04:18 PM
So, you don't like the valley? :)

Sorry, I'm using my limited California knowledge...

Just out of curiosity, what is Bakersfield like? I hear the weather is great...

Moooo

If you like hot it's alright. The cost of living there is a lot less than here.

The Hills are definately nicer. Better police coverage, not as many undesirables around and quiet. It's dead silent at my house at night. You just hear the friggen crickets. Fremont got it because the housing is a little cheaper there. Their building are all pretty new and it's clean. They have great schools and low crime. The low crime is because the cops are complete dickheads that harrass everyone though. There is soooooooooooo much more on this side of the bay though. The quality of easting establishments is like 1000x better. Our weather doesn't get overly hot in the summer. THe quality of people is much better too. On average they are much smarter over here which makes for better conversations although we do have that super liberal pussy ass type here for sure. Actually I enjoy messing with people like that. There is WAY more to do here in general.

Moooo
07-17-2006, 04:20 PM
If you like hot it's alright. The cost of living there is a lot less than here.

The Hills are definately nicer. Better police coverage, not as many undesirables around and quiet. It's dead silent at my house at night. You just hear the friggen crickets. Fremont got it because the housing is a little cheaper there. Their building are all pretty new and it's clean. They have great schools and low crime. The low crime is because the cops are complete dickheads that harrass everyone though. There is soooooooooooo much more on this side of the bay though. The quality of easting establishments is like 1000x better. Our weather doesn't get overly hot in the summer. THe quality of people is much better too. On average they are much smarter over here which makes for better conversations although we do have that super liberal pussy ass type here for sure. Actually I enjoy messing with people like that. There is WAY more to do here in general.

I wouldn't make it a minute in California. I'm a non-materialistic minimalist who likes to talk to strangers. From what I hear and see that's all SoCal is (though I don't know anything about the bay)

How about Sacramento?

Moooo

Frazod
07-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Hey Frazod lives in Naperville, he will be happy with that list. I think he is the only one in town that does not drive a Beemer.

Some days it seems that way. As I live in a condo community near the border with Aurora, I'm basically in Naperville's answer to the ghetto. :D

Frazod
07-17-2006, 04:23 PM

Perhaps one of the criteria is a location that isn't destined to sink into the f#cking ocean. :)

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't make it a minute in California. I'm a non-materialistic minimalist who likes to talk to strangers. From what I hear and see that's all SoCal is (though I don't know anything about the bay)

How about Sacramento?

Moooo

Sac is hotter but I like it better than Bakersfield. It's prioce is more than Bakersfield. They have had a lot of technolgy migrate up there recently. You like beach communities?

CHENZ A!
07-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Lenexa, KS blows Olathe and OP away. Olathe has turned into a giant Target parking lot with loads of useless shopping.

the only accurate part of this statement is the first three words. Damn Lenexicans. :cuss:

Moooo
07-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Sac is hotter but I like it better than Bakersfield. It's prioce is more than Bakersfield. They have had a lot of technolgy migrate up there recently. You like beach communities?

I'm not a big water person... The beach would go wasted on me. I like places that are hot, cheap and safe, and fun.

Moooo

phisherman
07-17-2006, 04:30 PM
lees summit - #44

nice to know

bp

sedated
07-17-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm sure most all of the cities chosen have little to no cultural diversity or anything of the sort.

obviously you've never been to Overland park or Olathe.

got more mexicans than...well, Mexico.

my whole neighborhood looks like tortilla commercial

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Perhaps one of the criteria is a location that isn't destined to sink into the f#cking ocean. :)

There are a lot of things that suck about California but there are many that rule. Our weather ROCKS. I like Brazillian jiu-jitsu. There are like 6 Gracie's teaching out here in the bay area. I like MMA and now we are getting a bunch of that. The top Muay Thai team in the country is out of the city. From fishing to golf and hunting to professional sports.From fine dining and the wine country to Laguna Seca. There is tons of things to do out here. The one big drawback though is it is VERY expensive here.

Frazod
07-17-2006, 04:34 PM
There are a lot of things that suck about California but there are many that rule. Our weather ROCKS. I like Brazillian jiu-jitsu. There are like 6 Gracie's teaching out here in the bay area. I like MMA and now we are getting a bunch of that. The top Muay Thai team in the country is out of the city. From fishing to golf and hunting to professional sports.From fine dining and the wine country to Laguna Seca. There is tons of things to do out here. The one big drawback though is it is VERY expensive here.

I'm betting that after it sinks into the f#cking ocean, the positives will take a serious hit.

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm not a big water person... The beach would go wasted on me. I like places that are hot, cheap and safe, and fun.

Moooo

You want Sacramento. Probably not as cheap as you want but there is still a lot going on. I love the women there.

Moooo
07-17-2006, 04:36 PM

My dad worked at a place near Mt. Shasta and LOVED IT

I think it would go wasted on me, though...

Moooo

StcChief
07-17-2006, 04:36 PM

COL contributes to all that you said about why California....
Attractive to alot of people so that makes it more costly as well.

CA. Visit <> Live.

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm betting that after it sinks into the f#cking ocean, the positives will take a serious hit.

You can't live in fear. I'll bet people out here are more scared of your tornado's.

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 04:39 PM
My dad worked at a place near Mt. Shasta and LOVED IT

I think it would go wasted on me, though...

Moooo

I love mountains period. Shasta is awesome. Slow lifestyle.

Moooo
07-17-2006, 04:40 PM
You can't live in fear. I'll bet people out here are more scared of your tornado's.

Tornadoes are fun!

JK... There are no "naders" out in California? How about thunderstorms?

I love mountains period. Shasta is awesome. Slow lifestyle.

Somehow I get the feeling its not as slow as Springfield...

Moooo

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Tornadoes are fun!

JK... There are no "naders" out in California? How about thunderstorms?

Moooo

The only real threat is earthquakes

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 04:42 PM
COL contributes to all that you said about why California....
Attractive to alot of people so that makes it more costly as well.

CA. Visit <> Live.

It's so expensive here in the bay area that women can't afford to be here unless they are with a man already for the most part. That's a big problem if you arrive here single. You end up spending a lot of weekends is SF just to meet somebody worth being with.

StcChief
07-17-2006, 04:42 PM

I'd be worried about Earthquakes considering the big fault....

Though New Madrid fault is 40 miles east....

Moooo
07-17-2006, 04:47 PM
I don't see how people like living in places like California, though. They're so fast-paced, and everyone is all urgent about everything.

Hell, KC is too fast-paced for me. And people don't talk to each other anymore. If you say something to someone in line at the store they ignore you like you're insane. They don't do that here in Springfield...

Moooo

HemiEd
07-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Some days it seems that way. As I live in a condo community near the border with Aurora, I'm basically in Naperville's answer to the ghetto. :D

Now you are being modest. I like the town, went to their annual "rib-fest" a few years ago. I drove in a go-kart race for charity right down town. What a lot of fun and the boss paid the contribution, all good.

58-4ever
07-17-2006, 04:48 PM
From what I hear, some of the best weed in the world comes from Fort Collins, CO. Maybe that was a factor in the rankings. :hmmm:

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 04:51 PM
I don't see how people like living in places like California, though. They're so fast-paced, and everyone is all urgent about everything.

Hell, KC is too fast-paced for me. And people don't talk to each other anymore. If you say something to someone in line at the store they ignore you like you're insane. They don't do that here in Springfield...

Moooo

You are right about the fast pace. I feel like everyone else is on quaaludes when I get out of here.

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 04:52 PM
From what I hear, some of the best weed in the world comes from Fort Collins, CO. Maybe that was a factor in the rankings. :hmmm:

Colorado is beautiful. Too bad it's dog killing country.

ImAWalkingCorpse
07-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Boise is a very nice place. I have been there several times to see the BSU Broncos play.

Frazod
07-17-2006, 05:13 PM

It isn't fear, it's a fact. Eventually, you WILL get hit by a major earthquake. I MIGHT get nuked by a tornado. A young couple settling in Naperville has a much better chance of not experiencing a major calamity than a young couple settling in [Pick a city], California.

Yes, you all have better weather and nicer fake boobs. I concede that point. But for the long haul, I'll stick with an area where vicious natural disasters are the exception, not the rule.

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 05:22 PM
It isn't fear, it's a fact. Eventually, you WILL get hit by a major earthquake. I MIGHT get nuked by a tornado. A young couple settling in Naperville has a much better chance of not experiencing a major calamity than a young couple settling in [Pick a city], California.

Yes, you all have better weather and nicer fake boobs. I concede that point. But for the long haul, I'll stick with an area where vicious natural disasters are the exception, not the rule.

Wanna live forever? :)

Frazod
07-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Wanna live forever? :)

F#ck no. ROFL

chiefs4me
07-17-2006, 05:27 PM
awesome, texas has 4 cities in the top 25!!!!!!!!

Donger
07-17-2006, 05:28 PM

Sorry, but Plano isn't part of Texas.

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 05:30 PM

Only steers and queers come from Texas and you don't much look like a steer so that kind of narrows it down. ROFL

I have always liked Texas when I have went. I would like to go to Austin sometime soon.

Moooo
07-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Only steers and queers come from Texas and you don't much look like a steer so that kind of narrows it down. ROFL

I have always liked Texas when I have went. I would like to go to Austin sometime soon.

Austin is by far the neatest place I've ever been...

But I'm not very well traveled.

Moooo

Donger
07-17-2006, 05:35 PM

As far as Texas goes (visiting anyway), Austin's okay. It doesn't really feel like Texas to me, except of course for the suicidal on and off-ramps.

morphius
07-17-2006, 05:40 PM

Moooo
Have you thought that people in KC are unsure how to react when you finish every thought with "moooo"?

Moooo
07-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Have you thought that people in KC are unsure how to react when you finish every thought with "moooo"?

I'll have to do some research into that...

I always thought KC was a Cowtown...

Moooo

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2006, 05:42 PM

ROFL

chiefs4me
07-17-2006, 07:29 PM

:banghead:

Count Alex's Losses
07-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Austin is ****ing horrible. I like North Texas.

Count Alex's Losses
07-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Hey! I used to live in Carrollton, Texas. Badass!

Moooo
07-17-2006, 07:40 PM

How is Austin horrible?

Moooo

VonneMarie
07-17-2006, 07:40 PM
F#ck OP. 4321

Count Alex's Losses
07-17-2006, 07:43 PM
How is Austin horrible?

Moooo

How is it not? I think it's a shithole.

Moooo
07-17-2006, 07:49 PM
How is it not? I think it's a shithole.

Its clean from what I've seen, good weather, great nightlife, the people are nice enough...

Moooo

Tactical Funky
07-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Lawrence beats OP by a fuggin' mile. :)

SLAG
07-17-2006, 08:14 PM
I wonder why Raytown didnt make the list :shrug: hehe

Moooo
07-17-2006, 08:21 PM
I wonder why Raytown didnt make the list :shrug: hehe

Does Raytown suck now?

I moved away from there in the very beginning of 93... I don't know what's happened since then.

I drove by my old house the other day, that's always weird to revisit your childhood home...

Moooo

Donger
07-17-2006, 09:11 PM
:banghead:

What? Did you stub a toe or something?

Donger
07-17-2006, 09:12 PM

I suspect already, but what do you find to be horrible about Austin?

Count Alex's Losses
07-17-2006, 09:25 PM
I suspect already, but what do you find to be horrible about Austin?

Hippies.

Donger
07-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Hippies.

That was my guess.

redbrian
07-17-2006, 09:40 PM
That was my guess.

Austin is the only town in Texas worth going to.

The music scene is one of the best to be found in the States.

As for the hippies, they are what makes hippie hollow such a scenic sight to behold, well them and the cute lil naked coeds from the local Universities.

CHENZ A!
07-17-2006, 10:22 PM
F#ck OP. 4321

4321 feelin's mutual baby

PunkinDrublic
07-18-2006, 03:38 PM

What makes you say that? Actually moving from Overland Park to Plano it's like I never moved at all except the unbearably dry heat in the summertime.

memyselfI
07-18-2006, 03:55 PM
And this was before the pitbull ban???? :hmmm:

Considering how much Kansas sucks...

OP is a great place to live!!! :clap: I guess Olathe made the list too. Shocking that Kansas has two cities on the list.

Moooo
07-18-2006, 04:09 PM
And this was before the pitbull ban???? :hmmm:

Considering how much Kansas sucks...

OP is a great place to live!!! :clap: I guess Olathe made the list too. Shocking that Kansas has two cities on the list.

Wichita made the "large city" list also.

No one answered me about Raytown... Is it going to hell!?!

I lived there a little less than 15 years ago, and I always thought it was nice. Of course, I was 9...

Moooo

memyselfI
07-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Wichita made the "large city" list also.

No one answered me about Raytown... Is it going to hell!?!

I lived there a little less than 15 years ago, and I always thought it was nice. Of course, I was 9...

Moooo

Let's say it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't...

wait, it's not really a nice place to visit.

Nevermind.

sedated
07-18-2006, 04:15 PM
Lawrence beats OP by a fuggin' mile. :)

Amen.

Lawrence can't be on the list, though.

they don't have cookie-cutter suburban houses and 2 million mini-vans with soccer ball stickers on the bumper

Moooo
07-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Let's say it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't...

wait, it's not really a nice place to visit.

Nevermind.

Dang... That sucks.

My grammy had a great house there with like a half an acre of land... I guess she sold at the right time, though.

Kinda sad to see your old stomping grounds turn to crap. Is all of it bad?

A reminiscing Moooo

DanT
07-18-2006, 04:51 PM
That site says that I live in the town with the 2nd-highest percentage of residents who hold advanced degrees:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2006/top25s/educated.html

Of course, the list is biased in favor of university towns.

BIG_DADDY
07-18-2006, 05:07 PM
That site says that I live in the town with the 2nd-highest percentage of residents who hold advanced degrees:

Of course, the list is biased in favor of university towns.

We are kind of blessed in that area. There are places I go to where I simply can't believe how stupid some of the people are there. Pops always gets on my case when I get fed up with it and gives me one of those "you don't have to be smart to be happy son" lines.

Donger
07-18-2006, 05:24 PM
What makes you say that? Actually moving from Overland Park to Plano it's like I never moved at all except the unbearably dry heat in the summertime.

You answered your own question.

Tactical Funky
07-18-2006, 07:25 PM

Of course, the list is biased in favor of university towns.Lawrence is on that list, too.

A few years ago I read that Lawrence had the second highest per capita ratio of Bachelor's degrees in the nation. Nothing shameful about being in the Top 20 in regards to post-graduate degrees, however. :)

NJ Chief Fan
07-18-2006, 08:10 PM
17 Parsippany-Troy Hills, NJ 51,600

this place sucks, i use to live 2 towns over from this place and thaught it was a very trashy area

DaneMcCloud
07-18-2006, 08:22 PM

Dude, I call MAJOR BS. Do you know how many people died in the last major earthquake in Northridge? 55! Every year in the midwest, whether it be Chicago, Texas, Kentucky, even Missouri, hundreds upon hundreds are killed by the heat, floods, lightning and tornados. Since I've been here in 1992, there's been ONE major catastrophe. ONE. And since the Northridge earthquake, building codes have increased 10 fold. I see houses going up now not with glue lam beams, but steel girders!

Since it's been more than 12 years since Northridge (and 17 since the last Bay Area shaker), I think it's far more the exception than the rule.

Donger
07-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Dude, I call MAJOR BS. Do you know how many people died in the last major earthquake in Northridge? 55! Every year in the midwest, whether it be Chicago, Texas, Kentucky, even Missouri, hundreds upon hundreds are killed by the heat, floods, lightning and tornados. Since I've been here in 1992, there's been ONE major catastrophe. ONE. And since the Northridge earthquake, building codes have increased 10 fold. I see houses going up now not with glue lam beams, but steel girders!

Since it's been more than 12 years since Northridge (and 17 since the last Bay Area shaker), I think it's far more the exception than the rule.

Steel girders, eh? Those will look really pretty after a 9.0+

DaneMcCloud
07-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Steel girders, eh? Those will look really pretty after a 9.0+

I do hope you're joking. SoCal isn't India. The engineers here go to extreme lengths to build houses and buildings that will withstand anything up to a 9.5. Many of the sky rises and even smaller buildings are on rollers. There were very few structures that collapsed after the Northridge 7.4 and all were found to be not up to code. As I stated earlier, the code has increased dramatically since then, so I think we're okay.

Donger
07-18-2006, 09:07 PM
I do hope you're joking. SoCal isn't India. The engineers here go to extreme lengths to build houses and buildings that will withstand anything up to a 9.5. Many of the sky rises and even smaller buildings are on rollers. There were very few structures that collapsed after the Northridge 7.4 and all were found to be not up to code. As I stated earlier, the code has increased dramatically since then, so I think we're okay.

Uh huh. Civil engineers are gods. Google "Tacoma Narrows Bridge" for an alternative POV.

DaneMcCloud
07-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Uh huh. Civil engineers are gods. Google "Tacoma Narrows Bridge" for an alternative POV.

Regardless of my thoughts on civil engineers, the fact remains that more people die in the midwest every year due to natural disasters than they do in the state of California. Every effort is being made to protect and safeguard against a catestrophic earthquake and so far, so good. I'm certainly not going to live my life in fear of an earthquake, anymore than someone in the midwest would live in fear of snowstorms, icestorms, floods and heatwaves.