PDA

View Full Version : If you caught a co-worker sleeping on the job...

Bugeater
07-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Would you tell your boss about it? Even if the guy was on thin ice already and would most likely get fired for it which would result in an increased workload (temporarily) for you?

I don't know, I'm torn about this. I sure didn't miss this kind of bs the seven years I worked on my own, I hate working with dumb****s.

Ari Chi3fs
07-17-2006, 10:27 PM
hahah... we caught a coworker sleeping a couple weeks ago. Cell phone cameras are a great invention.

cdcox
07-17-2006, 10:29 PM
I'd put flour in his mouth. When he woke up, this funny white puff would come out of his mouth. This would be much more fun to watch than him coming to work with an AK-47, after he'd been canned. IMO.

Bwana
07-17-2006, 10:29 PM
No, unless the guy was a worthless dickweed.

Moooo
07-17-2006, 10:31 PM

Totally. And even if he is, you have super leverage, especially if you have evidence.

Moooo

Bwana
07-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Totally. And even if he is, you have super leverage, especially if you have evidence.

Moooo

No doubt, a video camera would be a like a one pound piece of gold in a setting like that. :evil:

Bugeater
Well that's kind of the problem here, the guy is worthless 50% of the time. But the 50% of the time he actually accomplishes something, it means less I have to worry about.

KcMizzou
No, unless the guy was a worthless dickweed.Exactly.

It'd have to be pretty extreme for me to do it. I wouldn't want to be a rat. But, if he was a worthless douchebag, and I was constantly having to pick up his slack, I'd be pretty tempted.

58-4ever
07-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Well that's kind of the problem here, the guy is worthless 50% of the time. But the 50% of the time he actually accomplishes something, it means less I have to worry about.

I say do whatever makes your job easier. I'm all in favor of that.

noa
07-17-2006, 10:36 PM
I definitely would not turn the person in. My boss recently caught this girl in my office sleeping, and he fired her and refused to give her a good reference for her next job (obviously), which really hurts her prospects for quality employment. I wouldn't want to be responsible for doing that to someone. As long as the person gets their work done, I don't think falling asleep one time is something you should get fired for.

Moooo
On a side note, when did the Gaz option become the JBucc option?

The winds of change are blowing here at CP.

Moooo

Bugeater

Moooo
I'm sure my boss would take my word for it, and if he didn't I could show him what he got done in the four hours he was clocked in which was basically nothing. I'm guessing he was sleeping for a least a couple hours if not more.

KcMizzou
Well that's kind of the problem here, the guy is worthless 50% of the time. But the 50% of the time he actually accomplishes something, it means less I have to worry about.In that case, no, I wouldn't.

Moooo
07-17-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm sure my boss would take my word for it, and if he didn't I could show him what he got done in the four hours he was clocked in which was basically nothing. I'm guessing he was sleeping for a least a couple hours if not more.

WOW, that's a lot.

I fell asleep standing up at my job once for 2 minutes and my coworker told. My boss didn't care, she just muttered something about it and went on.

But a few HOURS??? Dang.

Moooo

Bugeater
07-17-2006, 10:38 PM
On a side note, when did the Gaz option become the JBucc option?

The winds of change are blowing here at CP.

Moooo
I barely know who Gaz is. :)

Bwana
07-17-2006, 10:38 PM

Is what he did causing you direct harm, EG, taking money from your pocket, of causing you to pick up his slack?

Bugeater
07-17-2006, 10:39 PM
WOW, that's a lot.

I fell asleep standing up at my job once for 2 minutes and my coworker told. My boss didn't care, she just muttered something about it and went on.

But a few HOURS??? Dang.

Moooo
I know. That's pretty hard to overlook.

KcMizzou
07-17-2006, 10:42 PM
I know. That's pretty hard to overlook.If he's lazy enough to take that kind of risk, he'll hang himself eventually. I'd just stay out of it.

Moooo
07-17-2006, 10:43 PM
If he's lazy enough to take that kind of risk, he'll hang himself eventually. I'd just stay out of it.

I second this advice. I believe in karma, though.

Unless he starts personally infringing on you and making you look bad personally, let it run its course.

Moooo

wutamess
07-17-2006, 10:46 PM
Are you threatening to become a work place snitch?

You're completely worthless if so.
Everyone needs a break and if he fell asleep and not harmed anyone or anything in the process why in the hell would you take it upon yourself to become the productivity report for the company?

Why is it people really take their job too seriously? It's a place to work. you don't owe the company anything and the company owes you nothing. Do your job... do your best to get a promotion and stfd & stfu about others and their affairs.

Give someone enough rope and they'll eventually hang themself.

~Contemplating Rat!

Bugeater
07-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Is what he did causing you direct harm, EG, taking money from your pocket, of causing you to pick up his slack?
Not really, it just might look bad for us as a team because he did very little for the time he was clocked in. The only progress on the job today was what I did.

listopencil
07-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Go buy one of those trucker alarm clocks. Next time he falls asleep set it off near him. Or scream a few inches from his ear. What's he going to do, tell on you?

Bwana
07-17-2006, 10:49 PM
If he's lazy enough to take that kind of risk, he'll hang himself eventually. I'd just stay out of it.

From the limited information that has been given, I would have to agree.

Exception: If they dude works at something like a biocem lab and Biffs taking a nap could endanger his life or something of that nature.

KcMiz is right, if the guy is that big of a douche bag, the giant foot of (UN)employment fate WILL walk up behind Biff and kick him in the ass.

Demonpenz
07-17-2006, 10:50 PM
i remember one time someone saying you better not let the boss catch you sleeping and i was like whats the difference between me sleeping and you doing jack shit but sitting there. atleast i am being productive and catching up on sleep not just sitting there.

58-4ever
07-17-2006, 10:50 PM
I'm in 9th right now in a 2000 dollar poker tournament. 22 players left.

Bwana
07-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Not really, it just might look bad for us as a team because he did very little for the time he was clocked in. The only progress on the job today was what I did.

In that case if it were me, I would take the guy out for a beer with the rest of the team and together explain to him that you understand that "shit happens" but by catching ZZZZZZZZZZZ's, he is letting the rest of the team down. 50/1 says that's the last time he does it. Problem solved.

Bugeater
07-17-2006, 10:54 PM
That's the way I've been leaning, like I said he's on thin ice as it is, him getting fired is inevitable.

Bugeater
07-17-2006, 10:57 PM
In that case if it were me, I would take the guy out for a beer with the rest of the team and together explain to him that you understand that "shit happens" but by catching ZZZZZZZZZZZ's, he is letting the rest of the team down. 50/1 says that's the last time he does it. Problem solved.
The team is just him & I on this particular job.

Bugeater
07-17-2006, 10:57 PM
I'm in 9th right now in a 2000 dollar poker tournament. 22 players left.
Maybe you'll get lucky and a few of them will fall asleep.

greg63
07-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Probably; as a Security Officer sleeping on the job is kind of a big deal.

Psyko Tek
07-17-2006, 11:01 PM
when i worked night shift, we would gather as many people around as possible and find the biggest loudest thing we could drop near him, or her, and laugh at the reaction
repeat offenders where rare, and if it happened often the boss got rid of them

Bwana
07-17-2006, 11:02 PM
The team is just him & I on this particular job.

ROFL

Ouch, small team. Hmmmm? In that case, I would just let it slide and let the chips of life fall on his head. The boss will figure out the dude is a sloth when his lack of production comes to a head. I still may consider having a talk with the guy if he is worth a damn, if not, don't worry about it. The hand of fate will rise up and bitch slap him out the door.

luv
07-17-2006, 11:46 PM
Seeing as how I'm an assistant supervisor, I would have to fire anyone I caught sleeping.

Dunit35
07-17-2006, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't rat. I sleep at my job every now and then. Of course it's a fast food job and I don't care about the job anyways.

SLAG
07-18-2006, 12:07 AM
I slept all through training a couple of jobs back.... they would call on me to answer a question in the middle of my sleep...

i would pop up ... everyone would laugh... and i would answer the question correctly... i would then go back to sleep

I worked there for a year but i had to move on

greg63
07-18-2006, 04:41 AM
Seeing as how I'm an assistant supervisor, I would have to fire anyone I caught sleeping.

Man; I sometimes wished I could. :D

Braincase
07-18-2006, 05:22 AM
I put in a double yesterday, teaching until 4, starting a night class at 6. All the managerswere in a meeting, but there was a nice sofa just outside the room where they were having the meeting.

Grabbed the mp3 player, dialed in Dokken's "Beast from the East" double live album, and took a nice snooze for about an hour.

Saulbadguy
07-18-2006, 05:58 AM
Snap a picture.

King_Chief_Fan
07-18-2006, 06:11 AM
Would you tell your boss about it? Even if the guy was on thin ice already and would most likely get fired for it which would result in an increased workload (temporarily) for you?

I don't know, I'm torn about this. I sure didn't miss this kind of bs the seven years I worked on my own, I hate working with dumb****s.

it would be my job to fire anyone caught sleeping.........but, I would see if there are problems or issues that have spilled over into the work place first.

stumppy
07-18-2006, 06:28 AM
Don't worry about no skinny mules.

Just load the damn waggon.

Saulbadguy
07-18-2006, 06:32 AM
Probably; as a Security Officer sleeping on the job is kind of a big deal.
I thought sleeping on the job was SOP for Security Officers.

stevieray
07-18-2006, 06:34 AM
I'g find a boom box and crank up AC/DC right by his ear.

Fire Me Boy!
07-18-2006, 07:07 AM
I didn't tell my boss when I caught my coworker masturbating at my desk... I don't think you should tell your boss about your coworker sleeping.

Bwana
07-18-2006, 07:09 AM
I didn't tell my boss when I caught my coworker masturbating at my desk... I don't think you should tell your boss about your coworker sleeping.

ROFL

That was a classic story, I forgot about that one. Are you still working with "Mr. Hand?"

Fire Me Boy!
07-18-2006, 07:12 AM
ROFL

That was a classic story, I forgot about that one. Are you still working with "Mr. Hand?"
Nope. Shortly after that, I got a different job in the same company. Then, about six months later I got a different job at a different company. No more dandruff knees.

j/k with the last comment... I might have thrown up if that happened.

greg63
07-18-2006, 07:34 AM
I thought sleeping on the job was SOP for Security Officers.

ROFLROFL

It is for some.

jidar
07-18-2006, 08:12 AM
No, but then again I'm not one of those pricks who has to go around sticking their nose in other peoples business.

Chiefnj
07-18-2006, 08:18 AM
You could rat him out and do 100% of the workload as opposed to the present 60-70%, plus carry all the responsibility and take all the blame if something goes wrong all for the same pay, or keep your mouth shut and mind your own business. You've never taken a shortcut at work, right? Was never a few minutes late from lunch, posted on the Planet, etc.? Be on your way Ned Flanders.

Bugeater
07-18-2006, 08:40 AM
No, but then again I'm not one of those pricks who has to go around sticking their nose in other peoples business.
I think when I'm outside in the 95 degree heat working and this jackass is inside napping in the A/C getting paid the same amount of money as me does make it my business.

I have to say I'm shocked at some of these responses. I can understand those who say to keep my mouth shut, but I can't believe some are actually trying to justify this guy's actions.

ck_IN
07-18-2006, 08:45 AM
I wouldn't say anything. If this guy is that close already and he's catnapping then it's just a matter of time before he gets nailed on his own. No sense for you to get involved.

burt
07-18-2006, 08:47 AM
I caught one of my guys , dozing off yesterday. Our AC was out...it was very hot...I yelled boo....then told him to walk it off. He got mean...so I told him he wakes up grumpy..... Later I told him that it happens to eveyone sometimes....Shit happens. He wan't really ASLEEP just dozing off....

Bugeater
07-18-2006, 08:50 AM
I caught one of my guys , dozing off yesterday. Our AC was out...it was very hot...I yelled boo....then told him to walk it off. He got mean...so I told him he wakes up grumpy..... Later I told him that it happens to eveyone sometimes....Shit happens. He wan't really ASLEEP just dozing off....
I wasn't present the whole time and was outside for the rest, but as I stated earlier by the amount of work he got done I have to think it was more than a catnap or dozing off, he had to be sleeping for the better part of the four hours he was clocked in.

Cochise
07-18-2006, 08:52 AM
At the place where I work there is an kid who falls asleep almost every day. Someone did point this out to the boss, who didn't really do anything, he just thought it was a mix of funny and pathetic. Eventually someone brought in a video camera and taped this over the course of several days. Funny stuff.

Accidentally dozing off if you are really tired is one thing, intentionally sleeping just to pass the time is something else.

MOhillbilly
07-18-2006, 08:55 AM
i once had a boss who did massive amounts of speed and to come down he would eat pills and smoke dope(in the office) then pass out about 11-3.
contractors would come in to do buis. and solidify bids,he was such a dick id just send them right on in.

he didnt care for that.

Chiefnj
07-18-2006, 08:59 AM
I think when I'm outside in the 95 degree heat working and this jackass is inside napping in the A/C getting paid the same amount of money as me does make it my business.

Not only is the guy more well rested than you, he's apparently smarter than you.

morphius
07-18-2006, 09:02 AM
I'd drop a large book right behind him and laugh my ass off when he fell out of his chair. Damn, its been a long time since I have had to do that to someone.

Bugeater
07-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Not only is the guy more well rested than you, he's apparently smarter than you.
Now that's hard to argue with, but if he was actually smarter than me he wouldn't be living in a boarding house and driving a POS car at the age of 50.

Iowanian
07-18-2006, 09:10 AM
Is someone, posting on chiefsplanet from work really going to have the balls to snitch on someone for sleeping?

I say, stay out of it. If the person is worthless, he'll hang himself soon enough.

I caught saw a coworker dose off the other day and walked up behind them and gave a loud "Get to WORK!".....just to eff with them.

Slap his desk with a book, bang a trashcan.....draw a pencil thin marker moustache on him.......

I worry about getting my work done and let everyone else be responsible for their own. When it affects me, I bring it up with them, and not their sup unless I can't make progress....and I've never had to do that.

Lzen
07-18-2006, 09:12 AM
What kind of work do you do that one guy is inside in the AC while the other is outside in the heat?

If my coworker wasn't pulling his fair share of the workload, it would wear on me and eventually I would have to say something. I don't care if you're screwing off when there is no work. That's all fine. But if I'm having to do more just to cover your ass, that shit ain't right. And who cares if you have to do more when he gets fired. In the long run, it will be better because they'll hire someone who does his/her work.

wutamess
07-18-2006, 09:13 AM
Now that's hard to argue with, but if he was actually smarter than me he wouldn't be living in a boarding house and driving a POS car at the age of 50.

Yeah... you're so much better than him just because you have more materialistic things... :rolleyes:

Never judge a book by it's cover.
The guy could be rich or have more going for himself than you think.

Besides... don't hate on him because he slept while your dumbass was outside working in 95 degree temps. It's your dumbass fault you didn't wake him up to come and help you out. Now you want an excuse to play victim when all you had to do was wake him up in the first place.

Now if he declined to help after waking up, then that's another story but to kick someone in the nutts when they're down goeas against man rule #1.

Bugeater
07-18-2006, 09:15 AM
I'd drop a large book right behind him and laugh my ass off when he fell out of his chair. Damn, its been a long time since I have had to do that to someone.
Eh, he was already on the floor.

I suppose I should give the whole story here. I have part-time job renovating old houses. He arrived at the house a few hours earlier than me, and when I got there I wanted to get going on some stuff outside, so I only went in a couple times to grab a few things and never saw him. I assumed he was upstairs or in the basement. It wasn't until an hour or so later that I found him laying on the floor in one of the bedrooms snoozing away. I didn't know how to react in such a situation so I just let him be and went back to work, which was probably my biggest mistake.

Bugeater
07-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Is someone, posting on chiefsplanet from work really going to have the balls to snitch on someone for sleeping?

I say, stay out of it. If the person is worthless, he'll hang himself soon enough.

I caught saw a coworker dose off the other day and walked up behind them and gave a loud "Get to WORK!".....just to eff with them.

Slap his desk with a book, bang a trashcan.....draw a pencil thin marker moustache on him.......

I worry about getting my work done and let everyone else be responsible for their own. When it affects me, I bring it up with them, and not their sup unless I can't make progress....and I've never had to do that.
I don't have the ability to post on CP at work, I just stopped home for a few minutes to pick up my son. On my own time, of course.

Bugeater
07-18-2006, 09:22 AM
Yeah... you're so much better than him just because you have more materialistic things... :rolleyes:

Never judge a book by it's cover.
The guy could be rich or have more going for himself than you think.

Besides... don't hate on him because he slept while your dumbass was outside working in 95 degree temps. It's your dumbass fault you didn't wake him up to come and help you out. Now you want an excuse to play victim when all you had to do was wake him up in the first place.

Now if he declined to help after waking up, then that's another story but to kick someone in the nutts when they're down goeas against man rule #1.
The dude was down on his luck when my boss hired him, he actually bought him the POS car because he felt bad for him. That's another thing that irritates me about the situation, my boss cut him a break and now he's ripping the guy off.

Iowanian
07-18-2006, 09:34 AM
I get more work done goofing off than the average person where I work.

That said....I've had a day here or there where I was tired from a baby crying all night, or having been sick and drained, or on medication.....that have caused me to doze off a time or two.

I think the thing to do is just talk to the guy about it, and explain to him that its important to both of you that he continue to improve as an employee and carry his load on your project.

There is a difference between dozing off at your desk by accident, and flat out taking a nap. I'd probably be irritated in that case.....and in the case of construction work......I'd drop the civility a little and tell the guy to get his ass up and xyz.

wutamess
07-18-2006, 09:37 AM
The dude was down on his luck when my boss hired him, he actually bought him the POS car because he felt bad for him. That's another thing that irritates me about the situation, my boss cut him a break and now he's ripping the guy off.

On a side note.... are you in the K.C. area?

You're not getting it... IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Let it be. No matter how you change the story/ describe it to your benefit, it's not going to work out your way.

Predarat
07-18-2006, 10:06 AM
You should turn him in get him fired, but then give all his contact info and a good reference to Primerica.

Mr. Laz
07-18-2006, 10:09 AM
i wouldn't rat on him unless he specifically did something to me to deserve it.

if he's gunning for me, then free game

if he's not messing with me then i don't mess with him.

stevieray
07-18-2006, 11:40 AM

You're not getting it... IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Let it be. No matter how you change the story/ describe it to your benefit, it's not going to work out your way.

so, it's none of our business either?

luv
07-18-2006, 11:45 AM

I think it's his business whenever he knows that the company is getting ripped off. He gets paid to work. Why would you sit there and let him get paid to sleep?

If you're so tired that you have to sleep at work, either get to bed earlier at home or call in sick to get some sleep.

greg63
07-18-2006, 11:48 AM
I think it's his business whenever he knows that the company is getting ripped off. He gets paid to work. Why would you sit there and let him get paid to sleep?

If you're so tired that you have to sleep at work, either get to bed earlier at home or call in sick to get some sleep.

Yep!

Saulbadguy
07-18-2006, 12:08 PM
On a side note, I wish I could get a cot or something in my cube. A 20 minute powernap in the middle of the day does wonders.

wutamess
07-18-2006, 12:16 PM

1. He's not a manager.
2. If he doesn't say anything to the guy why in the hell should he say something to the hirer.
3. "He gets paid to work" is so true. He doesn't get paid to be the company productivity report.

He should just say something to the guy if the guy doesn't do anything about it THEN he COULD say something to the boss. Other than that... Take care of HIS BUSINESS and everything will work itself out down the road & he'll eventually get what he's wanting anyways.

luv
07-18-2006, 12:30 PM
1. He's not a manager.
2. If he doesn't say anything to the guy why in the hell should he say something to the hirer.
3. "He gets paid to work" is so true. He doesn't get paid to be the company productivity report.

He should just say something to the guy if the guy doesn't do anything about it THEN he COULD say something to the boss. Other than that... Take care of HIS BUSINESS and everything will work itself out down the road & he'll eventually get what he's wanting anyways.
Where I work, the incentive plan they are coming up with is based on how the company does as a whole. If someone next to me is sleeping, they are costing me money. I will not carry a freeloader.

wutamess
07-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Where I work

He's not where you work.
He's rehabbing homes and getting paid by one guy that's considered his boss for a specific job(s).

Completely different situation.

If the co-worker was interfering with his $ in anyway I would still tell the co-worker first and then take it to the next step. You don't just snitch.

Bugeater
07-18-2006, 02:07 PM

Only if you consider Omaha to be in the KC area. :) Why do you ask?

Anyway, you're probably right in the fact that it's not going to do me any good to tell, and I'm not planning to at this point. There's still a little part of me that feels like I'm obligated to do so though. In one of your earlier posts you mentioned something about taking your job too seriously, and I probably do. I've never worked well with others.

PastorMikH
07-18-2006, 02:52 PM
A coworker sleeping on the job opens the door to endless possibilities. It can lead to a lot of laughs with the rest of the coworkers as you each try to out-do each other's summer camp pranks on the sleeper. Or it can go down a much darker path - pictures used as blackmail to get him/her to do you work assignments and so on.

Don't look at it as having to pick up their slack, look at the situation for the possibilities it presents.

wutamess
07-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Only if you consider Omaha to be in the KC area. :) Why do you ask?

Anyway, you're probably right in the fact that it's not going to do me any good to tell, and I'm not planning to at this point. There's still a little part of me that feels like I'm obligated to do so though. In one of your earlier posts you mentioned something about taking your job too seriously, and I probably do. I've never worked well with others.

As I've accused you... I've pointed the finger and have 3 pointing back at me... I took this posts too serious and did some name calling I shouldn't have.

For that, I apologize.

Taking your job seriously is a good & a bad thing. You have to learn to out things into perspective. You pay to work & both of you are getting something in return.... you're there to do one sepcific thing so might as well do that and take your happy ass home.

If I was his boss I'd want to know but it's not your place to tell me that. The boss needs to check in on the progress and make pop-corn calls etc. I'm currently starting my business to do what you're boss is doing and just completed my first house. I made surprise visits and daily calls to my contractors to see what type of progress was being met.

once again... Sorry.

stumppy
07-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Like I said in an earlier post:

Don't worry about no skinny mules
Just load the wagon.

Just do your job and let the boss deal with his own poor judgement.