PDA

View Full Version : Beer Thread: I feel dirty...

Herzig
07-18-2006, 12:46 PM
In Memphis yesterday, I tried a Denver microbrew called Flying Dog In Heat Wheat that was quite good. In fact, I liked it as well as my standard Boulevard Wheat. I just can't seem to stomach the fact that it's made in Denver. This is almost as bad as KC Masterpiece sauce being made in Oakland, CA.

http://www.flyingdogales.com/beer-in-heat.asp

Saulbadguy
07-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Meh. I wasn't that impressed with it.

If you like a beer of the "flying" variety, try Flying Monkey out of Olathe.

Herzig
07-18-2006, 12:49 PM

Do you like Boulevard Wheat?

Saulbadguy
07-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Do you like Boulevard Wheat?
It's ok. I usually only order up a Wheat on days like these (****ing hot).

sedated
07-18-2006, 12:51 PM

very good beer.

Herzig
07-18-2006, 12:56 PM

I'll have to try it. Is it wheat beer? What places in KC carry it?

Variety is the spice of life...I've never understood people like my cousin who only drinks Miller Lite. What appeals to some may not appeal to others.

Radar Chief
07-18-2006, 12:58 PM
It's ok. I usually only order up a Wheat on days like these (****ing hot).

That’s the best time for’em. My favorite Boulevard is their Pale Ale, but even that doesn’t beat a Wheat on a muggy summer day.

sedated
07-18-2006, 01:00 PM
I'll have to try it. Is it wheat beer? What places in KC carry it?

Variety is the spice of life...I've never understood people like my cousin who only drinks Miller Lite. What appeals to some may not appeal to others.

any place with a decent on tap selection should have it.

I had some at Fox and Hound in OPKS not too long ago.

Old Chicago would Im sure.

Fish
07-18-2006, 01:01 PM
any place with a decent on tap selection should have it.

I had some at Fox and Hound in OPKS not too long ago.

Old Chicago would Im sure.

Yup....

I think the Peanut down at that end of town has it on tap too.....

Bwana
07-18-2006, 01:04 PM
At least it wasn't Coors Light. Not only would you feel great guilt, but we would have to take up a collection to buy you a dress. :)

Dartgod
07-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Meh. I wasn't that impressed with it.I've had it and I wasn't all that impressed either. It wasn't bad, but I didn't think it was as good as Boulevard Wheat. I also drank their Pale Ale and thought it tasted like crap.

If you want a really good wheat beer, try 312 Urban Wheat made by Goose Island Brewery out of Chicago. I haven't seen it in stores, but I did sample some at Paddy O'Quigley's at 119th and Roe. It's pretty damn tasty.

:toast:

JimNasium
07-18-2006, 01:23 PM
I've had it and I wasn't all that impressed either. It wasn't bad, but I didn't think it was as good as Boulevard Wheat. I also drank their Pale Ale and thought it tasted like crap.

If you want a really good wheat beer, try 312 Urban Wheat made by Goose Island Brewery out of Chicago. I haven't seen it in stores, but I did sample some at Paddy O'Quigley's at 119th and Roe. It's pretty damn tasty.

:toast:
I've got a blackberry wheat in primary right now. Have you brewed anything lately? It's hard to get motivated when it's this damn hot.

Dartgod
07-18-2006, 01:29 PM
I've got a blackberry wheat in primary right now. Have you brewed anything lately? It's hard to get motivated when it's this damn hot.
No, I have one bottle left of the pale ale I did a couple of months ago and nothing ready to go at all. I got some $$$ for my birthday and I think I'll pick up a Bully! Porter clone kit from the local brew shop. I might be able to start it next weekend...maybe.

StcChief
07-18-2006, 01:32 PM
Like Wheat. Try Schalfly (I know you would feel dirty too, brewed in STL) Good Wheat.

O'Fallon (MO) Wheat is also very good.

For German...

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category15.html

Schneider Weisse Original (unusual in its amber color), Paulaner Hefe-Weizen, Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse
(Spaten) are good.

Dartgod
07-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Like Wheat. Try Schalfly (I know you would feel dirty too, brewed in STL) Good Wheat.

I haven't had their wheat, but I tried a sixer of their seasonal Oktoberfest brew once. It was pretty good.

chagrin
07-18-2006, 01:41 PM
I am not a fan, their wheat ale sucks

DaKCMan AP
07-18-2006, 01:42 PM
I am a fan of Hoegaarden.

gblowfish
07-18-2006, 03:15 PM

O'Fallon (MO) Wheat is also very good.

For German...

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category15.html

Schneider Weisse Original (unusual in its amber color), Paulaner Hefe-Weizen, Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse
(Spaten) are good.
I agree with this post 100%. Schlafly makes great beers, I don't like their wheat beer as much as Boulevard's wheat (I think it's the best) but their Pale Ale kicks ass. It's excellent.

It's amazing that people in St. Louis still remember how to make actual beer, considering who rules the roost there.

Saulbadguy
07-18-2006, 03:17 PM
I am a fan of Hoegaarden.
Hoe Garden?

Moooo
07-18-2006, 03:19 PM
There's a big brewery in Fort Collins, which is close enough (CSU country).

They make a beer called Fat Tire which rocks. Their name is something Belgium. I could look it up, but I'm lazy, and the only thing that matters is Fat Tire.

Moooo

Saulbadguy
07-18-2006, 03:22 PM

They make a beer called Fat Tire which rocks. Their name is something Belgium. I could look it up, but I'm lazy, and the only thing that matters is Fat Tire.

Moooo
New Belgium.

Fat Tire, Sunshine Wheat, 1554, Blue Paddle ..all great beers, IMO.

JimNasium
07-18-2006, 03:23 PM

Moooo
It's called New Belgium and IMO Fat Tire is the worst of their beers.

big nasty kcnut
07-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Boulevard Wheat do they sell it in texas cause i may need to make a beer run.

StcChief
07-18-2006, 03:26 PM

Moooo New Belgium Brewery
http://www.newbelgium.com/

Looks like they have a summer seasonal 'Skinny Dip'
Anybody try it?

With this heat. that sounds good.

I guess a Blue Moon after work....instead. :)

ChiefFan31
07-18-2006, 03:32 PM

Good question. From what I hear they dont reach out that far from KC.

Hopefully I am wrong. I miss some Boulevard Wheat :drool:

crispystl420
07-18-2006, 03:34 PM

How complicated is it to brew beer? I have always wanted to try it but everytime my firends attempt it(which is only about 2-3 times)it tastes like crap. Is it expensive compared to buying canned beer? Could any recommend me a start-up kit? Any input would be great thanks.

StcChief
07-18-2006, 03:35 PM

No decent Wheat Beer in Texas ??

Everything is bigger/better there
:rolleyes:

Herzig
07-18-2006, 03:38 PM

If you don't want to go all the way to KC, you can get it all over the place in Fayetteville, AR.

SLAG
07-18-2006, 03:42 PM
the 'Skinny Dip'Is their low carb beer also when talking wheats don't forget the shiner hefewizen and btw blue moon white sucks

SLAG
07-18-2006, 03:45 PM

shiner is from shiner texas

Jilly
07-18-2006, 03:45 PM

Shiner - best beer in Texas

Went to Portland, Oregon last year...had an amber ale at the Yellow Labrodor. Best beer I have ever had. Amazing.

Moooo
07-18-2006, 03:46 PM
the 'Skinny Dip'Is their low carb beer also when talking wheats don't forget the shiner hefewizen and btw blue moon white sucks

Boulevard wheat > Blue moon

Moooo

ChiefFan31
07-18-2006, 03:50 PM
I substitute Widmer - Hefeweisen. Its a pretty good ass wheat beer.

Not sure if they are just out here in Cali...

sedated
07-18-2006, 03:52 PM
I prefer Red Tick beer.

Bold, refreshing, and something I can't put my finger on.

cdcox
07-18-2006, 03:58 PM
I'll give the Flying Dog wheat a try soon based on your recommendation, Herzig. We have it here, but I never tried it because: 1) didn't know anything about it and 2) its from Denver. If its decent, that might be enough to over come being made in Denver, as long as its not football season.

No Blvd available here. The wheat is good, but I love their pale ale. Brought a 12-pack back with me when I was in KC earlier this month.

big nasty kcnut
07-18-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm not from texas everything i drink or team i support is from kansas or kansas city. i have a few exception but most are kansas.

Bwana
07-18-2006, 04:32 PM
I substitute Widmer - Hefeweisen. Its a pretty good ass wheat beer.

Not sure if they are just out here in Cali...

Widmer is damn good beer, I drink it all the time up here as well.

Miles
07-18-2006, 04:38 PM
Flying Dog is a solid brewery but not one of the better ones up here. Old Scratch Amber is probably my favorite they make.

Bob Dole
07-18-2006, 04:57 PM

Bob Dole used to have to order Boulevard Wheat special at a liquor store in Texarkana, AR (Bowie County TX is dry). They finally started carrying it regularly.

The Bennigan's here has it on tap, and Bob Dole hears rumor that there's another bar locally that's on the verge of becoming Chiefs-fan friendly and may carry Boulevard as part of a specialty beer rotation.

Herzig
07-18-2006, 05:03 PM
I'll give the Flying Dog wheat a try soon based on your recommendation, Herzig. We have it here, but I never tried it because: 1) didn't know anything about it and 2) its from Denver. If its decent, that might be enough to over come being made in Denver, as long as its not football season.

No Blvd available here. The wheat is good, but I love their pale ale. Brought a 12-pack back with me when I was in KC earlier this month.

Great...if you don't like it, ship the rest to me in Arkansas. Personally, I prefer all wheat beers with a slice of lemon.

DaKCMan AP
07-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Hoe Garden?

http://www.inbev.com/brands/2__3__0__globalspecialtybrands.cfm

Phobia
07-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Shiner - best beer in Texas

Not a chance. St. Arnold Christmas Ale is by far my favorite beer of all time. They're the Boulevard of Houston. They make a pretty decent brown ale too.

Phobia
07-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Bob Dole used to have to order Boulevard Wheat special at a liquor store in Texarkana, AR (Bowie County TX is dry). They finally started carrying it regularly.

The Bennigan's here has it on tap, and Bob Dole hears rumor that there's another bar locally that's on the verge of becoming Chiefs-fan friendly and may carry Boulevard as part of a specialty beer rotation.

They're just trying to draw in your beer budget.

Spicy McHaggis
07-18-2006, 05:57 PM
If you want a really good wheat beer, try 312 Urban Wheat made by Goose Island Brewery out of Chicago.

I'm a fan of Goose Island too. I think Boule is better but Goose Island is definately worth the try. I had a few of their seasonal brew last weekend and it was tasty as well.

Spicy McHaggis
07-18-2006, 05:58 PM
I prefer Red Tick beer.

Bold, refreshing, and something I can't put my finger on.

Needs more dog.

Bob Dole
07-18-2006, 06:00 PM
They're just trying to draw in your beer budget.

Sorta kinda maybe that's it. ;)

NewChief
07-18-2006, 06:36 PM

I don't think Skinny Dip is really a low carb beer. At least it's very, very potent for a low carb beer if it is. It's not bad, but it's a ripoff of another Ft. Collins brewery's beer: O'Dell's Bobby. Most Ft. Collins locals prefer O'Dells to New Belgium, though New Belgium makes a great beer and is an absolutely awesome company (ethically).

If you want to try O'Dells, most Old Chicagos carry their 90 Schilling, which is one of their more popular beers. I know the Old C's in Overland Park carries it at least.

Miles
07-18-2006, 06:44 PM
I don't think Skinny Dip is really a low carb beer. At least it's very, very potent for a low carb beer if it is. It's not bad, but it's a ripoff of another Ft. Collins brewery's beer: O'Dell's Bobby. Most Ft. Collins locals prefer O'Dells to New Belgium, though New Belgium makes a great beer and is an absolutely awesome company (ethically).

If you want to try O'Dells, most Old Chicagos carry their 90 Schilling, which is one of their more popular beers. I know the Old C's in Overland Park carries it at least.

Most of my friends here in Denver prefer O'Dells over New Belgium as well. 5 Barrel is some really good stuff and I definitly enjoy it more than than Fat Tire.

Phobia
07-18-2006, 08:16 PM
I've toured both O'Dells and New Belgium. I decided I like them both.

JimNasium
07-18-2006, 08:30 PM
How complicated is it to brew beer? I have always wanted to try it but everytime my firends attempt it(which is only about 2-3 times)it tastes like crap. Is it expensive compared to buying canned beer? Could any recommend me a start-up kit? Any input would be great thanks.
You can make it as easy or as complicated as you want. I wouldn't recommend it as a way to save money. For starters read the basics here (www.howtobrew.com) and find a good home brew supply shop and visit with the owner.

cdcox
07-18-2006, 08:37 PM
Great...if you don't like it, ship the rest to me in Arkansas. Personally, I prefer all wheat beers with a slice of lemon.

I'm not at all a fan of lemon in my wheat beer. But I'll give it a try despite your preverse preferences.

NewChief
07-18-2006, 09:08 PM
I've toured both O'Dells and New Belgium. I decided I like them both.

That's sort of how I feel. So many beers, so little time. Or, I have enough love of beer in me to spread to all of the beers of the world. Or something else along those lines.

New Belgium's operation is truly awesome, though. They're such a cool company. From the wind power to the free bike for employees, they do some creative, out-of-the-box stuff as a company.

O'Dell is great as well, I'd just like to see them get a little more love outside of Colorado, because New Belgium has made it. Would be cool to see another Fort Collins brewery make it, too.

SLAG
07-18-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm not at all a fan of lemon in my wheat beer. But I'll give it a try despite your preverse preferences.

There is not much better than a Blvd with 2 Lemons-

Rausch
07-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Killians is just too good.

And it's red.

As well as tasting great and very filling.

SLAG
07-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Killians is just too good.

And it's red.

As well as tasting great and very filling.

Killians is Coors

nuff said

Rausch
07-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Killians is Coors

Not even close.

I hope you sit on your balls in a hurry to $#it...

SLAG
07-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Not even close.

I hope you sit on your balls in a hurry to $#it...

Killian's Irish Red is a traditional lager with an Irish heritage, based on the Killian family's recipe created for the Killian's brewery in Enniscorthy, Ireland in 1864. Coors acquired the rights to brew and market the product in America and Killian's was introduced to the U.S. in 1981.

Rausch
07-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Killian's Irish Red is a traditional lager with an Irish heritage, based on the Killian family's recipe created for the Killian's brewery in Enniscorthy, Ireland in 1864. Coors acquired the rights to brew and market the product in America and Killian's was introduced to the U.S. in 1981.

Yeah, had no idea. At all.

I figured the IRA made it.

Oh, and remind me why Arrowhead sells that vile piss in their stadium?

Because they do. They push those tall boys about every 50 feet...

SLAG
07-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah, had no idea. At all.

I figured the IRA made it.

Oh, and remind me why Arrowhead sells that vile piss in their stadium?

Because they do. They push those tall boys about every 50 feet...

its sad really - they ought to have All Boulvard Flavors the Same Price and thats all there is - Dont Support STL dont Support CO keep all the money in the local econo-

Miles
07-18-2006, 10:18 PM
This thread made me thirsty so I just picked up some Odell's double pilsner.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2006/0627/20060627_075433_FD28_beer.jpg

Nzoner
07-18-2006, 10:27 PM
You can make it as easy or as complicated as you want. I wouldn't recommend it as a way to save money. For starters read the basics here (www.howtobrew.com) and find a good home brew supply shop and visit with the owner.

Listen to this man,I've sampled his beer.

Rausch
07-18-2006, 10:28 PM
This thread made me thirsty so I just picked up some Odell's double pilsner.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2006/0627/20060627_075433_FD28_beer.jpg

There's something very 1800's-snake-oil-salesman about that bottle.

Ehhhh..........Pass.

Dartgod
07-18-2006, 10:42 PM

Most of my friends here in Denver prefer O'Dells over New Belgium as well. 5 Barrel is some really good stuff and I definitly enjoy it more than than Fat Tire.
I've had both of these O'Dell brews and agree that they are very tasty.

StcChief
07-19-2006, 05:16 AM
Widmer is damn good beer, I drink it all the time up here as well.

Widmer is good even though A-B is getting involved looks like more on dist side. Hopefully won't be messing with recipe. Also Goose Island in downtown Chicago.

Their Honker Ale is good.

http://www.realbeer.com/news/articles/news-002945.php

Dartgod
07-19-2006, 06:32 AM
I'm a fan of Goose Island too. I think Boule is better but Goose Island is definately worth the try. I had a few of their seasonal brew last weekend and it was tasty as well.
Is this the Summertime Kölsch? We had several of those as well when we were in Chicago recently. Another very good brew from Goose Island.

Saulbadguy
07-19-2006, 06:36 AM
I've had both of these O'Dell brews and agree that they are very tasty.
Yea..Odell 90 shilling is one of my favorites. The cuthroat porter is good too.

Dartgod
07-19-2006, 06:40 AM
Yea..Odell 90 shilling is one of my favorites. The cuthroat porter is good too.
I've really taken a liking to porters lately and plan to make my next home brew a porter. I'll have to see if I can find that one at Lukas Liquors.

Saulbadguy
07-19-2006, 06:40 AM
I've really taken a liking to porters lately and plan to make my next home brew a porter. I'll have to see if I can find that one at Lukas Liquors.
Usually I don't care for them all that much. They have a "sour" aftertaste I find displeasing.

NewChief
07-19-2006, 07:16 AM
Is this the Summertime Kölsch? We had several of those as well when we were in Chicago recently. Another very good brew from Goose Island.

BTW, the Odell Bobby that I'm always raving about is a Kolsch. If you get a changce to wrangle one down, do so, though one probably won't be enough as it's an easy drinking beer that really goes down well six at a time. It's pretty hard to get in our area, because it's a seasonal.

JimNasium
07-19-2006, 08:20 AM
There's a great recipe over at Brew Your Own's website for Bridgeport Porter. I highly recommend it.

Dartgod
07-19-2006, 08:24 AM
There's a great recipe over at Brew Your Own's website for Bridgeport Porter. I highly recommend it.Extract?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found it.

Dartgod
07-19-2006, 08:37 AM
There's a great recipe over at Brew Your Own's website for Bridgeport Porter. I highly recommend it.OK, I have the recipe and think I will give this a shot. One question however.

The recipe calls for 6.6 lbs. Telford’s amber malt extract syrup, but my homebrew shop does not carry it. They have Briess Sparkling Amber Malt Extract and Muntons Plain Amber Malt Extract. Will either of these substitute well and is one better than the other? The Muntons is a couple of dollars more for 3.3 pounds if it makes any difference.

EDIT: Sonofabitch, looks like they don't carry the Magnum hops the recipe calls for either. I may just order the ingrediants online. Is there a supplier that you recommend?

Jilly
07-19-2006, 08:40 AM
Not a chance. St. Arnold Christmas Ale is by far my favorite beer of all time. They're the Boulevard of Houston. They make a pretty decent brown ale too.

is it only out at Christmas?....I'll have to have it next time I'm down there or tell a friend to bring it when she comes up next. But I have to say....it would be hard to beat Shiner.

JimNasium
07-19-2006, 08:48 AM
OK, I have the recipe and think I will give this a shot. One question however.

The recipe calls for 6.6 lbs. Telford’s amber malt extract syrup, but my homebrew shop does not carry it. They have Briess Sparkling Amber Malt Extract and Muntons Plain Amber Malt Extract. Will either of these substitute well and is one better than the other? The Muntons is a couple of dollars more for 3.3 pounds if it makes any difference.

EDIT: Sonofabitch, looks like they don't carry the Magnum hops the recipe calls for either. I may just order the ingrediants online. Is there a supplier that you recommend?
I would recommend going with DME instead of the liquid extract and truth be told extract is extract so I wouldn't worry about brand names. I always deal with the Home Brewery out of Ozark (www.homebrewery.com) but isn't Bacchus and Barleycorn in your neighborhood?

StcChief
07-19-2006, 08:53 AM
is it only out at Christmas?....I'll have to have it next time I'm down there or tell a friend to bring it when she comes up next. But I have to say....it would be hard to beat Shiner.

the Shiner Bock / Hefeweisen is good and reasonably priced (~$5 6 pack) here as well. Priced the same as BLVD....

Schlafly is more...taking lesson from AB. The most expensive place to by AB products is STL....

Miles
07-19-2006, 08:55 AM

Yeah its usually out sometime in late fall.

Not a huge Shiner fan myself. Its better than the usual domestics if you are at are a bar but nothing special.

Jilly
07-19-2006, 08:57 AM
We should form some sort of beer tasting situation based on the interest here.

Dartgod
07-19-2006, 09:05 AM
I would recommend going with DME instead of the liquid extract and truth be told extract is extract so I wouldn't worry about brand names. I always deal with the Home Brewery out of Ozark (www.homebrewery.com (http://www.homebrewery.com)) but isn't Bacchus and Barleycorn in your neighborhood?
So instead of 6.6 lbs of LME, just use the same amount of DME? The recipe calls for 6.6 lbs of LME and 1.0 lb of DME, so should I just use 7.6 lbs total?

Yes, Bacchus and Barleycorn is in Shawnee. I've never been there, there's a brew shop in Lee's Summit that is closer to me. I guess I'll take a drive over and check them out.

JimNasium
07-19-2006, 09:31 AM
So instead of 6.6 lbs of LME, just use the same amount of DME? The recipe calls for 6.6 lbs of LME and 1.0 lb of DME, so should I just use 7.6 lbs total?

Yes, Bacchus and Barleycorn is in Shawnee. I've never been there, there's a brew shop in Lee's Summit that is closer to me. I guess I'll take a drive over and check them out.
It's not a straight pound for pound conversion and I don't have Beersmith on this computer. They should be able to do the conversion for you at the shop or someone over at brewboard will know.

JimNasium
07-19-2006, 09:32 AM

Oh, and one last thing, they make an amber DME that you might consider for this beer.

Dartgod
07-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Oh, and one last thing, they make an amber DME that you might consider for this beer.
Who is they? Is that just a generic they? I had already figured that I would replace amber LME with amber DME if thats what you mean.

OK, one more question, I hate to be a pain.

For specialty grains, they list chocolate malt and roasted black barley. No problem on the chocolate, I've found that. But the roasted black barley I don't find. I see roasted barley (unmalted). is this the same thing?

JimNasium
07-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Who is they? Is that just a generic they? I had already figured that I would replace amber LME with amber DME if thats what you mean.

OK, one more question, I hate to be a pain.

For specialty grains, they list chocolate malt and roasted black barley. No problem on the chocolate, I've found that. But the roasted black barley I don't find. I see roasted barley (unmalted). is this the same thing?
Yes, they being the generic term. As far as the roasted barley goes I'd have to defer to the experts on that one as I'm unsure. I wish I had a copy of Beersmith on this machine. :(

Dartgod
07-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Yes, they being the generic term. As far as the roasted barley goes I'd have to defer to the experts on that one as I'm unsure. I wish I had a copy of Beersmith on this machine. :(
Thanks for the info. Obviously I've never brewed anything outside of what came in the recipe kit. I am looking forward to doing it this way so I can get a better undersatnding of what ingredients do what as far as flovor and coloring. Pretty soon (well, maybe not that soon) I'll be making my own recipes. :thumb:

Spicy McHaggis
07-19-2006, 03:13 PM

Indeed it is, I'm heading back to Chicago in 2 weekends and looking forward to more of the same.