PDA

View Full Version : HalfLife Portals, awesome

ChiefsLV
07-18-2006, 11:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4jnl0hRB9I

First the gravity gun, now this. Can't wait...

Leeeeeeroooooooooooooooy Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaankins!!!

Guru
10-08-2007, 10:36 PM
PC or 360? I am thinking that the new release might be too much for my PC since HL2 pushed it to its limit anyway.

I hate the idea of paying $30 JUST for Ep 2 with Portal on PC. yet I own all of the HL games on PC and even have HL2 on XBOX. The idea of purchasing them all again seems stupid.

ChiefsLV
10-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Heh, was kinda shocked to see this thread drug up from over a year ago. Yeah I'm running an older PC too, P4 2.2Ghz. I'll try it on PC first though. My PC ran the original game and episode one just fine.

Guru
10-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Heh, was kinda shocked to see this thread drug up from over a year ago. Yeah I'm running an older PC too, P4 2.2Ghz. I'll try it on PC first though. My PC ran the original game and episode one just fine.
Any idea why they are charging $30 for Ep 2 when Ep 1 was only $20?

meStevo
10-08-2007, 11:54 PM
To encourage you to buy the Orange Box, all of the games for $50 ($45 if you pre-order).

Guru
10-08-2007, 11:56 PM
To encourage you to buy the Orange Box, all of the games for $50 ($45 if you pre-order).
Yeah, I want to pay for all those games again. yeah

meStevo
10-09-2007, 12:24 AM
As a result of the preorder ive been playing TF2 for a month, it's a ton of fun, worth more than the $30 they're charging for it. That + Ep2 is > the cost of Orange box, and they make it so that you can gift the other games you may already have to people as well.

Hard for it not to be a good deal, and for those wanting only Ep2, it's available... though for a price.

Guru
10-09-2007, 12:42 AM
As a result of the preorder ive been playing TF2 for a month, it's a ton of fun, worth more than the $30 they're charging for it. That + Ep2 is > the cost of Orange box, and they make it so that you can gift the other games you may already have to people as well.

Hard for it not to be a good deal, and for those wanting only Ep2, it's available... though for a price.
And that price is......

JBucc
10-09-2007, 02:41 AM
I saw a preview of that a while ago on 'gamespot. Loked to bet a bi complicated for me. I mgith be the Orange box when my 360 gets fixed though. I had the orignal half-life for PS2.

meStevo
10-09-2007, 12:53 PM
And that price is......

Thought it was $30 per your post... I never looked at it cause I pre-ordered Orange Box for $44.95

Per steam:

$29.95 Half-Life 2
$19.95 Half-Life 2: Episode One
$29.95 Half-Life 2: Episode Two
$19.95 Portal
$29.95 Team Fortress 2

129.75 total.

49.95 as of tomorrow, can pre-order now for 44.95 and play the unreleased items at midnight, HL2 (and HL2:Lost Coas), Ep1, TF2 can all be played once downloaded.

Also I think they're going to abandon the episodes after this, someone was quoted a little bit ago saying they were going to rethink the approach after Episode 2.

ChiefsLV
10-09-2007, 07:29 PM
I just signed up for Gamefly last night. So I'll likely be playing it on 360 down the road unless I somehow manage to get it on PC ;)

I'm not a big fan of shooters on consoles though, so we'll see how it goes.

Valiant
10-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I want to pay for all those games again. yeah

If you have a buddy that wants it, go to Circuit buy it, get the numbers for the codes on the game.. Return it for another copy because it will not install.. Split the cost...

Guru
10-09-2007, 09:47 PM
If you have a buddy that wants it, go to Circuit buy it, get the numbers for the codes on the game.. Return it for another copy because it will not install.. Split the cost...
I would have to imagine that they have a way of keeping track of that by now.

Guru
10-10-2007, 03:08 PM
So? How is it?

icepick64
10-11-2007, 10:24 AM
WOW, portal is freaking awesome. I really enjoy puzzle games, I like to see how fast I can solve each one although so far they are all fairly easy. The orange box is just a great deal.

TrickyNicky
10-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Portal is short, but so damn sweet. It is quite a nifty little game. Sick gameplay and hilarious comedy. It doesn't get any better.

Guru
10-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Now if they would just lower the damn price for the individual downloads. I already have HL2 and Ep1. If I want Ep2 and Portal, I still have to pay friggin $50 to buy them seperately. What a load of crap to the customers that have been with Steam for 5 years.

Guru
10-12-2007, 05:10 PM
They are really setting up a screwy precedent here. So what? When they put out Episode 3 everyone will have to re-buy everything again for the same price as the game itself.

I have heard Ep 2 is only about an hour or so longer than Ep 1 also. yet it is worth 10 bucks more. Ep 1 was overpriced also.

Now I have to debate on whether to wait for Ep 3 to get Ep 2 for a decent price.

I suppose, if there is someone out there willing to purchase the extra copies of HL2 and Ep1 and TF2 then I could justify the expense as I already have HL2 Ep1 and could care less about TF2.

TrickyNicky
10-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Just head to someone's place who bought it and play through it. Shouldn't take but 2 hours and some change.

Guru
10-12-2007, 07:43 PM
I don't know anyone in Topeka that purchased it. based on that statement though, 2 hours? And they want $20 for it? damn!

I think I will just wait until Ep3 comes out

KcMizzou
10-12-2007, 08:22 PM
I don't know anyone in Topeka that purchased it. based on that statement though, 2 hours? And they want $20 for it? damn!

I think I will just wait until Ep3 comes outI pay close to $20 for 2 hour movies all the time. :shrug:

Guru
10-12-2007, 08:50 PM
I pay close to $20 for 2 hour movies all the time. :shrug:

I won't even look at $20 movies. I get them on release week for $13.99 or wait for them to go to the bargain bins.

I expect more for my dollar out of a game though. I would like to see more 20 hour games made.

Fishpicker
10-12-2007, 08:51 PM

I think I will just wait until Ep3 comes out

I bought the orange box and I still dont have any interest in playing Portals. there's no sense in getting all worked up over a game like that. 2 hours is a joke. If a game only lasts 2 hours, it had better be some pretty intense, psychotropic gameplay.

TrickyNicky
10-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Episode 2 is only 5 hours long, so altogether you're not paying for a whole lot of single-player time.

Guru
10-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Episode 2 is only 5 hours long, so altogether you're not paying for a whole lot of single-player time.
Yeah, I am getting the impression that Valve/Steam is really pushing the price for the multiplayer games. The games I could really care less about. Drives me nuts when I hear from people in gaming forums "oh it is worth it for TF2 alone." Yeah, if you like multiplayer.

When you think about it, they are really figuring out ways to gouge the customer with this episodic content. Sell the 1st ep for $20, second ep for $30 and probably the 3rd ep for at least 30. 80 bucks for a PC game that would normally cost you $50 or less based on gameplay time.

Bowser
10-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Portal is a ton of fun. Hopefully, this was just a feeler type of game, so they can gage interest and make a longer, more complex version.

Bowser
10-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Man, Level 18 on Portal is a bitch. Anyone else make it that far?

Ultra Peanut
10-15-2007, 12:22 AM
I bought the orange box and I still dont have any interest in playing Portals. there's no sense in getting all worked up over a game like that. 2 hours is a joke. If a game only lasts 2 hours, it had better be some pretty intense, psychotropic gameplay.Jesus. Just play it.

Demonpenz
10-15-2007, 12:36 AM
i remember the first half light and counterstrike it was awesome. Sometimes I wish I played more video games, but when it comes down to it i would rather go to a bar drink and see live bands. I only get so many hours off a week I like to spend those actually getting out of the house.

Guru
10-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Somebody has hacked the PC version already...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gKg3TUPQ8Sg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gKg3TUPQ8Sg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Third Eye
10-19-2007, 06:21 AM
Man, Level 18 on Portal is a bitch. Anyone else make it that far?
If you are still stuck, let me know.

"The cake is a lie"

RedDread
10-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Portal is a ton of fun. Hopefully, this was just a feeler type of game, so they can gage interest and make a longer, more complex version.

Based on the allusions and hints that Aperture Science Labs was in direct competition with Black Mesa for government contracts sets this not only in the Half-Life universe, but before the combine's invasion of earth. This means they may tie the portal gun into future versions of Half-Life.

RedDread
10-19-2007, 05:36 PM
oh and also here's the song from the end credits if anyone wants it:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P56QRZ2I

Don't worry, I don't think it contains any spoilers, but I'll check again.

(edit) Okay, maybe some spoilers...

Third Eye
10-19-2007, 08:37 PM
oh and also here's the song from the end credits if anyone wants it:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P56QRZ2I

Don't worry, I don't think it contains any spoilers, but I'll check again.

(edit) Okay, maybe some spoilers...
Hey, right on! I was going to look for that myself, since you can't just go to the credits in the game.

Ultra Peanut
10-20-2007, 06:24 AM
The song itself is a spoiler, really. And awesome.

God, I love this game.

RedDread
10-27-2007, 03:35 AM
Now that I've beat Episode 2:

***SPOILER WARNING***

What in the **** is aboard that ship in the Arctic? You can see the Aperture Science logo on the video board and they mentioned that it vanished. I wonder if the Portal Gun will actually be included in EP3 or if you'll just have to destroy it. Or better yet, destroy the rest of GlaDOS... I'm hoping a lot of shit gets answered in Episode 3 and they don't leave a bunch of cliffhangers. Eli getting killed before telling you more about the G-man was bad enough.

Bowser
10-27-2007, 05:52 PM
If you are still stuck, let me know.

"The cake is a lie"

OK, I haven't tried it for a bit, but I've gotten the turrets knocked down and the energy ball tosser thing disabled. I am having trouble figuring out how to get to the top level across the chasm to flip the switch.

Bowser
10-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Based on the allusions and hints that Aperture Science Labs was in direct competition with Black Mesa for government contracts sets this not only in the Half-Life universe, but before the combine's invasion of earth. This means they may tie the portal gun into future versions of Half-Life.

Man, I hope. Half Life and Portal combined = :drool:

KC Jones
10-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Still haven't tried Portal. I only just finished HL2 and have started episode 1. haven't had this much fun playing a single player shooter in a long time.

Bowser
10-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Still haven't tried Portal. I only just finished HL2 and have started episode 1. haven't had this much fun playing a single player shooter in a long time.

How far have you made it? I'm stuck in the parking garage in Episode 1.

KC Jones
10-29-2007, 07:06 AM
How far have you made it? I'm stuck in the parking garage in Episode 1.

I've made it to Barney and gotten a crowbar from him, on our way to the trains.

The parking garage with ant lions? There's a car on each level to plug all 3 holes.

Bowser
11-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Well, I've finished Portal, Episode 1, and I'm about halfway through Episode 2. So far, I've enjoyed the Orange Box way more than Halo, although Halo is still a great game. After this, I'll dive back into Bioshock.

Guru
11-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Finally found a bargain on the 360 version.

Portal's final level is a real pain in the ass but it kicks serious ass.

I hope they incorporate this into the Half Life series somehow.

Bowser
11-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Finally found a bargain on the 360 version.

Portal's final level is a real pain in the ass but it kicks serious ass.

I hope they incorporate this into the Half Life series somehow.

TEH SPOILER

Near the end of Half Life Episode 2, there is a reference to Appature Science. Apparently, they had a vessel of some sort that holds their research, and it's either hidden or in the Combine's hands. It looks like HL Ep. 3 might have some type of mission to go after the Appature Science technology. I really hope so.

Third Eye
11-18-2007, 11:27 PM
OK, I haven't tried it for a bit, but I've gotten the turrets knocked down and the energy ball tosser thing disabled. I am having trouble figuring out how to get to the top level across the chasm to flip the switch.
Sorry I never saw this.

Bowser
11-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Sorry I never saw this.

No worries. It wasn't hard when I stopped and took a look.

For me, Level 18 was a bit harder than 19.

Guru
11-20-2007, 03:47 AM
Portal the flash game.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/404612

Bowser
11-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Anyone finished Episode 2 yet?

Guru
11-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Anyone finished Episode 2 yet?
Almost there. Taking out the crawlers tonight and I should be done.

Bowser
11-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Almost there. Taking out the crawlers tonight and I should be done.

Are you to the forest part with the Striders?

Guru
11-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Are you to the forest part with the Striders?

Yep. Took out 3 before going to bed last night.

Bowser
11-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Yep. Took out 3 before going to bed last night.

Sounds like you're right about where I am. I had to pull away from the TV before my head popped.

Guru
11-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Sounds like you're right about where I am. I had to pull away from the TV before my head popped.
What has been surprising to me is how easy the acheivments are in Halflife over portal. If you beat the game, you will get just about all of them.

Bowser
11-25-2007, 10:44 AM
What has been surprising to me is how easy the acheivments are in Halflife over portal. If you beat the game, you will get just about all of them.

Yeah, you pick them up when you're not expecting to, or are easier than expected. Although for me, I missed quite a few.

Looks like I'll have to go back and play HL2 just to see how many of THOSE achievements I can unlock (I already finished the game twice on my old XBOX).

Any word on when Episode 3 will be available? I did a quick search, but couldn't find much (Valve needs to update their site. It's been a few months since anything new has made it there).

Guru
11-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Yeah, you pick them up when you're not expecting to, or are easier than expected. Although for me, I missed quite a few.

Looks like I'll have to go back and play HL2 just to see how many of THOSE achievements I can unlock (I already finished the game twice on my old XBOX).

Any word on when Episode 3 will be available? I did a quick search, but couldn't find much (Valve needs to update their site. It's been a few months since anything new has made it there).

Based on how long it took 2 to get out, I would expect it to be Srping 09

Bowser
11-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Based on how long it took 2 to get out, I would expect it to be Srping 09

Bah! That sucks!

Well, after that football game, I'm ready to go blow shit up.

Third Eye
11-25-2007, 09:35 PM
You obviously haven't done the one with the damn gnome. OK, it isn't really hard but amazingly annoying.

Guru
11-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Damnit!!! I am out of ammo to fight the hunters with and the last two striders keep getting past me. Any help?

KC Jones
11-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Damnit!!! I am out of ammo to fight the hunters with and the last two striders keep getting past me. Any help?

1) Keep them from destroying the buildings, as the buildings will re-supply you (they keep spawning goodies)

2) Run over the hunters in your car (they go boom)

ChiefsLV
11-25-2007, 10:42 PM
1) Keep them from destroying the buildings, as the buildings will re-supply you (they keep spawning goodies)

Yeah that was my strategy. I pretty much gave up on trying to get out and shoot the hunters and just decided to mow em all down with the car. Then I got out of my car, grabbed the bomb of the back of it and launched it at the strider walkin away from me. The last part was intense, but got er done

Guru
11-25-2007, 10:43 PM

I keep going to the buildings but there is never anything there,

I can't seem to time the car hits when there are two hunters per strider. They dive out of the way. When I use turbo I miss for some reason. Driving me nuts.

ARGH

Bowser
11-26-2007, 11:37 AM
OK, I've gotten as far as to when all the Striders blitz you at once. Too many Hunters in there to get out and chuck the Magnussen Device.

Had to walk away from the game before I threw my controller through the new LCD. Gah.