PDA

View Full Version : Does Zakk Wylde have the most wicked pinch harmonic on the face of the Earth?

htismaqe
07-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Don't really like the catalog of work he did with Ozzy, but Jesus Christ, that harmonic is evil. Has anyone ever heard someone who could do it better?

|Zach|
07-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Zakk, as you know...travels on a train of white horses...

http://www.aquateencentral.com/epguide/images/screenshots/spiritjourney/full/spiritjourney04.jpg

http://www.aquateencentral.com/epguide/images/screenshots/spiritjourney/full/spiritjourney07.jpg

htismaqe
07-19-2006, 09:49 AM
ROFL

chagrin
07-19-2006, 10:09 AM
I don't like Zack Wylde, he's overrated.
just kidding, heads up!

ZepSinger
07-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Don't really like the catalog of work he did with Ozzy, but Jesus Christ, that harmonic is evil. Has anyone ever heard someone who could do it better?

Man, I'm with ya. Everytime he does that, I just grit my teeth and grin. AWESOME!!! :rockon:

alpha_omega
07-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Great sound!!!!!!!!

Reaper16
07-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Yeah, but he uses it more than Carlos Mencia uses his "deh-deh-duh" comedic device.

Munson
07-19-2006, 01:11 PM
George Lynch does some pretty good pinch harmonics. They're not as evil sounding, but they have more of an 80's flavor to them.

htismaqe
07-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Yeah, but he uses it more than Carlos Mencia uses his "deh-deh-duh" comedic device.

ROFL

Nightwish
07-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Don't really like the catalog of work he did with Ozzy, but Jesus Christ, that harmonic is evil. Has anyone ever heard someone who could do it better?George Lynch. Of course, I'm a little biased, being that Zakk Wylde is a putz.

htismaqe
07-19-2006, 01:59 PM
George Lynch. Of course, I'm a little biased, being that Zakk Wylde is a putz.

If we were talking about musical styles or whatever, I'd pick Lynch too.

But his pinch harmonic is nowhere near what Wylde's is...

ZepSinger
07-19-2006, 02:49 PM

I've heard that Lynch has all but abandoned the guitar and has gotten into bodybuilding. A friend of mine saw him playing at a guitar clinic a couple of years ago and said he was embarrassingly rusty... :shake:

Brock
07-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Viv Campbell used to do it a lot, until he acquired Alex Lifeson's Disease.

Reaper16
07-19-2006, 03:11 PM
Moving from Dio to Def Leppard will do that to ya'.

htismaqe
07-19-2006, 03:12 PM
I've heard that Lynch has all but abandoned the guitar and has gotten into bodybuilding. A friend of mine saw him playing at a guitar clinic a couple of years ago and said he was embarrassingly rusty... :shake:

Doesn't surprise me, the guy was basically 100% fingers.

I remember hearing him talk about learning scales on the plane when he was auditioning to replace Randy Rhoads with Ozzy. Even into the heyday of Dokken, he COULDN'T READ MUSIC.

htismaqe
07-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Moving from Dio to Def Leppard will do that to ya'.

Come on, he made a pitstop between Dio and Def Leppard...

With WHITESNAKE. ROFL

ZepSinger
07-19-2006, 03:14 PM

Speaking of Alex- I was flipping thru the channels in HD late last night when I came across Rush live. Awesome, but man, they are definately aging. Alex has the Friar Tuck thing happening at the crown of his head...

OK, I admit it- I do NOT know what Alex Lifeson's Disease is. Help a brother out...

Z

Brock
07-19-2006, 03:19 PM
OK, I admit it- I do NOT know what Alex Lifeson's Disease is. Help a brother out...

Z

It's where you have a guitarist who can flat out shred.....but chooses not to.

DaneMcCloud
07-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Doesn't surprise me, the guy was basically 100% fingers.

I remember hearing him talk about learning scales on the plane when he was auditioning to replace Randy Rhoads with Ozzy. Even into the heyday of Dokken, he COULDN'T READ MUSIC.

Most accomplished "Rock Stars" can't read music. It's about feel, not reading notes of music that someone else wrote.

There are several famous movie score composers who can't write either. They just use the "Score" function in their DAW to give to a conductor, who then will conduct the orchestra.

DaneMcCloud
07-19-2006, 03:24 PM

Z-

That's not quite true. While Geore WAS into bodybuilding, he's definitely leaned back out again. A friend had tickets for Lynch Mob at the Key Club in 2003 so went to check it out. George was freakin' George. He was badass. Robert Mason sounded great as well, but the backing band, especially the drummer was lame.

Braincase
07-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Most accomplished "Rock Stars" can't read music. It's about feel, not reading notes of music that someone else wrote.

There are several famous movie score composers who can't write either. They just use the "Score" function in their DAW to give to a conductor, who then will conduct the orchestra.

There's hope for me yet... where's that Reason manual? Gotta rewire into ProTools........ :hmmm:

ChiefFripp
07-19-2006, 05:54 PM
I prefer John Christ.

DaneMcCloud
07-19-2006, 06:36 PM
There's hope for me yet... where's that Reason manual? Gotta rewire into ProTools........ :hmmm:

You bought a Pro Tools rig? Digi 002 or the like?

DaneMcCloud
07-19-2006, 07:39 PM

That's because Zakk quadruple tracks his parts. Lynch is usually mono, but sometimes he'll cut 2 tracks panned right and left. Zakk plays his parts 4 times and they're all hard panned. That's why it's so huge sounding.

ZepSinger
07-20-2006, 06:11 AM
You bought a Pro Tools rig? Digi 002 or the like?

I just installed Adobe Audition- awesome. Now if I'd ever get time to lay down some tracks...
:(

htismaqe
07-20-2006, 09:01 AM

Lot's of "rock stars" can't read music.

There's PRECIOUS FEW of the "80's guitar heroes", of which Lynch is one, that can't read music. Hell, most of them are classically or jazz-trained with degrees...

htismaqe
07-20-2006, 09:02 AM
That's because Zakk quadruple tracks his parts. Lynch is usually mono, but sometimes he'll cut 2 tracks panned right and left. Zakk plays his parts 4 times and they're all hard panned. That's why it's so huge sounding.

That certainly makes his guitar sound bigger, but I'm not sure it enhances the wickedness of his pinch harmonic. I've heard him do it live, and it's just evil...

DaneMcCloud
07-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Lot's of "rock stars" can't read music.

There's PRECIOUS FEW of the "80's guitar heroes", of which Lynch is one, that can't read music. Hell, most of them are classically or jazz-trained with degrees...

Which players are you referring to here? Yngwie certainly wasn't trained with a degree. Vai went to Berkeley but dropped out. Van Halen certainly didn't go to school, nor did Gary Moore, Zakk, Jake, Gillis/Watson, etc. I don't know to whom you're referring.

My experience has been that guitarists or bassists that have been "trained" (i.e. Berkeley, MI, etc.) can play well technically but have absolutely NO feel. They can usually whip off an Yngwie riff but can't understand where to play in a Stones song. I refer to these people as Secretaries - they can "type" the notes but can't understand or write them.

That being said, I love trained drummers, especially Berkeley guys like Brian Tichy. It's just so easy for them to come in and rock.

DaneMcCloud
07-20-2006, 11:10 AM
That certainly makes his guitar sound bigger, but I'm not sure it enhances the wickedness of his pinch harmonic. I've heard him do it live, and it's just evil...

Ah, you're referring to his wide vibrato in conjunction with the pinch. It definitely makes him recognizable. Too bad the rest of his playing is just as forgettable as his PH's are memorable.

KCWolfman
07-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Zach has a solo release on PS2's Guitar Hero.

We bought the game 2 weeks ago and have played it non-stop since.

KCWolfman
07-20-2006, 08:29 PM
That being said, I love trained drummers, especially Berkeley guys like Brian Tichy. It's just so easy for them to come in and rock.

Q: What do you call someone who hangs around musicians and follows the band from city to city in hopes to spend time with them?

A: A drummer.

|Zach|
07-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Zach has a solo release on PS2's Guitar Hero.

We bought the game 2 weeks ago and have played it non-stop since.
GH rocks....

headsnap
07-20-2006, 09:18 PM
I've got a pretty wicked pinch harmonic, unfortunately that's ALL I got!! :banghead:

HC_Chief
07-20-2006, 10:07 PM
Ah, you're referring to his wide vibrato in conjunction with the pinch.

Check out the "solos" on Slayer's "Reign in Blood" LP... that is textbook harmonic tremlo action. I mastered the art back in the mid 80s ;) It is incredibly simple.

htismaqe
07-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Which players are you referring to here? Yngwie certainly wasn't trained with a degree. Vai went to Berkeley but dropped out. Van Halen certainly didn't go to school, nor did Gary Moore, Zakk, Jake, Gillis/Watson, etc. I don't know to whom you're referring.

My experience has been that guitarists or bassists that have been "trained" (i.e. Berkeley, MI, etc.) can play well technically but have absolutely NO feel. They can usually whip off an Yngwie riff but can't understand where to play in a Stones song. I refer to these people as Secretaries - they can "type" the notes but can't understand or write them.

Tony McAlpine, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai (like you said, he dropped out, but he's trained nevertheless), Marty Friedman, Kirk Hammett, Dave Mustaine (his degree isn't in music), and on and on.

And no, the majority don't have advanced degrees but virtually all of them can read music, which certainly makes Lynch even more special. Everything he did was done by ear.

And yes, I agree with you about technique vs. feel. Drives me nuts - the first time I heard Malmsteen cover "Spanish Castle Magic" I just about ****ing puked.

htismaqe
07-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Ah, you're referring to his wide vibrato in conjunction with the pinch. It definitely makes him recognizable. Too bad the rest of his playing is just as forgettable as his PH's are memorable.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. And I agree.

DaneMcCloud
07-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Trained (meaning guitar lessons) and school (meaning Berkeley, Musician's Institute or University Degree) are completely different. It's one thing to take guitar lessons and learn from someone like Satriani (like Vai, Hemmet and several others) or Randy Rhoads (though Joe Holmes was his only "known" student I can think of, and I don't particulary care for Joe's playing) than studying, going through a 4 year course in orchestration, theory, composition, etc.

It's absolutely mandatory for an orchestral player to been trained and have an excellent ability to sight read because they're required to play music composed by someone else, many times, hundreds of years ago.

Most of the players you listed SOUND like they're been highly schooled, especially Tony McAlpine (who I think is lame). Trust me, Warren DeMartini, Jake E. Lee and most of the 80's Strip guys couldn't sight read, nor would they need the ability to sight read. Lynch is definitely not the exception.

htismaqe
07-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Trained (meaning guitar lessons) and school (meaning Berkeley, Musician's Institute or University Degree) are completely different. It's one thing to take guitar lessons and learn from someone like Satriani (like Vai, Hemmet and several others) or Randy Rhoads (though Joe Holmes was his only "known" student I can think of, and I don't particulary care for Joe's playing) than studying, going through a 4 year course in orchestration, theory, composition, etc.

It's absolutely mandatory for an orchestral player to been trained and have an excellent ability to sight read because they're required to play music composed by someone else, many times, hundreds of years ago.

Most of the players you listed SOUND like they're been highly schooled, especially Tony McAlpine (who I think is lame). Trust me, Warren DeMartini, Jake E. Lee and most of the 80's Strip guys couldn't sight read, nor would they need the ability to sight read. Lynch is definitely not the exception.

For somebody that's supposedly an "insider" you sure don't do much research.

Jake E. Lee and Tony MacAlpine are both classically trained in the piano.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_E._Lee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_MacAlpine

Joe Satriani is a trained jazz guitarist and pianist, and while Steve Vai and Kirk Hammett neither one possess a degree, they both studied under Satriani.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satriani

headsnap
07-22-2006, 10:24 PM
And yes, I agree with you about technique vs. feel. Drives me nuts - the first time I heard Malmsteen cover "Spanish Castle Magic" I just about ****ing puked.

now I just puked!!!!

thanks... :cuss: