PDA

View Full Version : WTH ? Tommy Morrison cured from HIV positive ?

ROYC75
07-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Does he has some miracle cure ? He is claiming he is no longer HIV positive and wants to fight Mike Tyson.

Just saw this on ATH and PTI ...........

BTW, what has happened to Tony K , anybody know ? Usually they tell ya if he is on vacation or something like that.

Frazod
07-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Oh shit. I smell the plot for Rocky VII. :doh!:

jiveturkey
07-19-2006, 03:57 PM
I heard that if you have sex with Magic Johnson you're cured.

I don't know if it's true or not.

jiveturkey
07-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Oh shit. I smell the plot for Rocky VII. :doh!:Unfortunately that's what man sex between Tommy Morrison and Magic Johnson smells like...

Shit

BigRock
07-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Tony's always gone around this time of year for vacations and whatever. I think Wilbon usually leaves soon, too. That's how we get PTIs with Dan Lebetard or Jay Marrioti hosting with Whitlock.

jidar
07-19-2006, 04:00 PM
It's been possible for people to almost be "cured" for quite a long while now provided you can afford it.
There are tons of drugs you can take that will help to reduce the amount of HIV you have in your system, and some people who do this manage to get to the point that a test doesn't even find any still in your blood.

That said I recall that the article said the people weren't precisely cured because even though it was not reliably detectable it was probably still there somehwhere and could come back after being off the drugs for awhile.

beavis
07-19-2006, 04:06 PM
I heard that if you have sex with Magic Johnson you're cured.

I don't know if it's true or not.
Don't you mean Chuck Norris?

Rain Man
07-19-2006, 04:07 PM
I suspect that the only thing that he's been cured of is intelligence.

penguinz
07-19-2006, 04:51 PM
I suspect that the only thing that he's been cured of is intelligence.
You can not be cured from something you never had.

Halfcan
07-19-2006, 10:33 PM
For sale: One pair of Boxing gloves signed by Tommy. Any offers?

Bowser
07-19-2006, 10:35 PM
For sale: One pair of Boxing gloves signed by Tommy. Any offers?

I'll give you a half eaten ham sammich. And I want those gloves hermetically sealed, too.

Kerberos
07-20-2006, 05:17 AM
I'll give you a half eaten ham sammich. And I want those gloves hermetically sealed, too.

I up the bid to a whole uneaten ham sammich and he can just hand the gloves over to me hanging on a stick.

:D

ROYC75
07-20-2006, 09:00 AM
If he is magically cured, he still will not find anybody that will box him.......

Just not going to happen.

cookster50
07-20-2006, 10:51 AM
I heard he never really had HIV, there was a false positive on one test and all other tests were clean.

Brock
07-20-2006, 10:52 AM
It was beaten out of him in his last fight.

ROYC75
07-20-2006, 10:57 AM
I heard he never really had HIV, there was a false positive on one test and all other tests were clean.

If that was the case, why the 10 year absent from boxing ? He had a chance to make alot of money until this showed up.

KingPriest2
07-20-2006, 11:14 AM
HIV conspiracy or not, Morrison's a fighter
July 19, 2006
By Mike Freeman
CBS SportsLine.com National Columnist

In the mind of Tommy Morrison it is all so clear. There is no fog mucking up his memories, no misfiring of neurons causing him to forget. The recollections of how he became the first known high profile professional boxer to test positive for the virus that causes AIDS are crystalline and thick with substance.

There are some who will read this and think Morrison is anything but clearheaded about those dark days, however. They will believe he has been knocked in the cranium one too many times after seeing his words about conspiracies and plots and false positives. Morrison seems like a levelheaded man, an intelligent man and, possibly, a terrifically misguided man who has been sucked into the gaseous anomalies that are crackpot claims and Internet-generated nonsense that the AIDS crisis is mostly a government-induced hoax.

Morrison was knocked out of boxing in '96 after being diagnosed with HIV. (Getty Images)
Morrison was told before a tuneup fight in Nevada 10 years ago that he had tested positive for the HIV virus, changing his world and altering the boxing landscape forever. It had happened. One of theirs, one of the big-name fighters, had been caught in the AIDS snare like a handful of other athletes such as Magic Johnson and Arthur Ashe.

Now, incredibly, Morrison blames that positive result on the nefarious forces of the sport's underworld. Or is it the United States government? Or was it the supplement he was taking? He has floated between these and other theories with the greatest of ease. The one he seems to cling to the most is that the test result was a lie, a devious set up, a monstrous piece of trickery.

"I do not believe I am HIV positive," Morrison said in a telephone interview. "It was a false positive. I know it was. It has been 10 years that I have allegedly had HIV."

"I never believed" that he had the virus, Morrison later added. "I've never had so much as a symptom."

When asked to elaborate about why he believed it was a false positive, Morrison said it was possible he was set up by a rival promoter, who rigged the blood test to show he was HIV positive when he was not.

Do you think Tommy Morrison was set up?
No: He needs to face the facts
Yes: Never underestimate boxing's dark side

"That question has crossed my mind," he said. "There was some pretty shady stuff going on then."

There are always shadows and evil-doers in boxing, and there always will be. Corruption is in the sport's DNA and it is a place where despicable rogues, scams and con artists rule. But a faked HIV test result? Even for boxing that would be extreme, yet that is something Morrison, one of the most intriguing heavyweight fighters of the last 5-10 years, is claiming.

Morrison has made other strange statements, including how at least a portion of the HIV crisis might be a government-induced conspiracy where a great many people are duped by false positives. He also spoke of how the supplements he was taking at the time could have triggered a false positive as well. He explains his expulsion from boxing by serving up plots and schemes almost a la carte.

"Since I was forced into retirement," Morrison said, "two other boxers were forced into retirement for the same reason."

Other fighters have tested positive for the HIV virus, but none nearly as famous as Morrison and none, at least publicly, have claimed their results might have been some frightening plot against them.

There are only two possibilities when it comes to Morrison. He is either understandably denying the painful fact that he has contracted a terminal illness, or he is the victim of a monstrous scheme that would put every other boxing scandal to distinct shame and supermarket tabloids on red alert.

The likelihood is that Morrison did contract the virus and there is no false positive. There must be a part of him that knows this. When speaking to Morrison, a fighter I have long admired for his hard punches and courage in the ring, he vacillates between the two opposites, using language that seems to acknowledge he is HIV positive, and verbiage that conversely says he does not have it.

In one breath, he talks about lacking any symptoms, and uses phrases like false positives. In another, he says there is no known case of HIV transmission from athlete to athlete, and how that fact should allow him to fight again, how his viral levels are almost non-existent and how if his license is not reinstated, he might sue to get it back.

Morrison, HIV positive or not, is in fact planning to fight two or three times, maybe more, by the end of the year.

The Tale of Tommy remains one of the more remarkable and underreported sports stories in years because Morrison gives us a rare glimpse into the still uncommon world of athletes and HIV. His story is a graphic cautionary tale about a man who once partied like the horniest of rock stars, the pimpest of pimp daddy's, perhaps blowing a promising career in the process. He went from the top of the world to his current skid and is valiantly trying to get his career back while fighting a devastating disease.

You have to understand the boxing scene circa 1996, what Morrison's world and the sport were like then, to fully grasp how big a story he is, even now, fight-less for a decade, mostly away from the spotlight.

He had starred in one of the 819 Rocky movies, used his unique skin color in a mostly black and Latino sport as a blunt and powerful marketing instrument and possessed charm and good looks. Even though the heavyweight division would soon undergo a seismic collapse, ending the era of the sexy heavyweight and transforming the division into the uninteresting mess it is now, Morrison was a significant player and draw. George Foreman has lost to only five men and Morrison is one of them. On two occasions Morrison held a share of the heavyweight title.

Morrison lost a championship bout to Lennox Lewis in 1996, but nevertheless signed a three-fight deal with Don King that was supposed to lead to a Morrison-Mike Tyson showdown. That deal, says Morrison, was to pay him $38 million. Then came the positive test, which Morrison estimates cost him, over the past decade, some $100 million total in potential fight revenues.

"That's a nice chunk of change, huh?" he said.

Morrison says he found out about the test result in a hotel suite in Las Vegas just a few hours before he was scheduled to fight Arthur Weathers. Morrison was placed on indefinite medical suspension by the state. Other commissions and states followed with similar restrictions. He was effectively done as a fighter.

"It was a weird, dark time for me," he explained.

It was not long before Morrison's life took a steep downward spiral, one that included jail time for drug charges and HIV-related discrimination, in which fellow gym members canceled their memberships once his HIV news became public. Close friends abandoned him because of his illness.

Morrison's disbelief turned into Internet research, looking into claims that AIDS is a U.S. government-spurned falsehood.

The danger Morrison and other HIV positive athletes may present in various competitions is hotly debated, but if other boxers do not care about fighting him, then why shouldn't he be allowed to earn a living the only way he knows how? Imagine the strong anti-discrimination statement it would make if Morrison could step into the ring again.

He deserves that chance even if, for the moment, Morrison packs more conspiracy theories than punches.

cookster50
07-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Hmm, wouldn't you, I don't know, get retested? If he really doesn't/didn't have HIV, then why hasn't he published results of a retest?

KingPriest2
07-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Hmm, wouldn't you, I don't know, get retested? If he really doesn't/didn't have HIV, then why hasn't he published results of a retest?

He has they can't detect it.

greg63
07-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Oh shit. I smell the plot for Rocky VII. :doh!:

It was beaten out of him in his last fight.

ROFLROFL

KingPriest2
07-20-2006, 11:32 AM

Benny Henderson Jr.: You tested positive for HIV in 1996 and retired from the sport. What was your first thought when you were told you were a carrier of the virus?

Tommy Morrison: For some reason it didnít surprise me, I knew I was in a sport where it could be transmitted. I fought a guy in 1989 that died of AIDS and I found out about that about six months after I fought him. I went back and watched the fight and he bled all over me.

BH: You founded the KO AIDS Foundation, can you give us insight on the foundation and what you hope to accomplish with it?

TM: The foundation is still around but I just never was able to do a lot with it, I just need to get behind it and breathe some life into it and all that will come when I get on my feet. CL Jones will be helping me, and you, you are helping out. I was talking with BK the last few days about this website and I could sell all kinds of stuff on there. I might market my own clothing line or something, the doors open I can do that and take advantage of it.

BH: Well hey, will you do me a favor if you get your own clothing line Tommy?

TM: You bet.

BH: Make sure your clothing line fits fat people.

TM: [Laughs] Make sure it fits fats people, you got it.

BH: How has living with the disease changed your life and what is your outlook towards the future with the disease?

TM: Ah, it hasnít changed my life at all. The only thing that has changed is that I have to take time out to take my medicine everyday. Thatís really the only change but it has never kept me from doing what I have done before.

BH: So your outlook is good?

TM: Yeah, shoot yeah man. I just live life, everyday I am thankful for.

BH: You were on the Trinity Broadcast Network just recently and you stated to Carmen that the HIV virus isnít detectable. Is that common for people with the virus for it not to show up after his it already been detected?

TM: Well they canít find it in my system, they still say I have it and Iím still HIV positive but it is undetectable. But they tell me it is still in my system so basically I am like Magic Johnson. It is like cancer being in remission

Sure-Oz
07-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Tommy "the machine" Gunn!!!!

Halfcan
07-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Tommy is a very cool dude. I have met him on numerous occasions. When I got the gloves signed before the Razor Ruddock fight, we hung out for about an hour. He is a very down to earth person, but also felt like he was invinceable.

Last time I saw him, he had lost a lot of weight and was drunk off his azz, with a chick on each arm-as usual.

He would have beat Tyson then and would still beat his punk ass now.