PDA

View Full Version : Planeteer songwriters??

ZepSinger
07-20-2006, 02:24 PM
I just got to wondering today- how many of you are songwriters?

As for me- I've written and/or co-written 7 albums' worth of material from metal to pop to new age. My strength probably lies mainly in power pop composition. Back in '91, a couple of my tunes caught the interest of the guy who produced Motley, Cheap Trick, and Twisted Sister. We did a showcase at the Whisky in LA for him, but alas, it was not to be.

As soon as I get the time (3 little girls tend to be awfully high-maintenance), I plan on writing, recording, and shopping an album's worth of Christian rock. I'll write and do the demos in my home studio, then take the project up to the 24 track analog studio in Iowa that I've worked in for 20 years, and do it right.

As always, your chances of getting signed are about as good as winning the lottery; but just writing and recording your own stuff is immensely satisfying all on it's own, deal or not.

I know alot of the musicians here must compose. Let's hear about it!

Z

htismaqe
07-20-2006, 02:47 PM
I've written dozens of songs. If I could ever find a bassist, I'd be writing dozens more.

Lzen
07-25-2006, 09:21 AM
I've written lots of songs on the guitar. I tried my hand at writing lyrics years ago. I wasn't real great at that, though. One tune I wrote when I was in a band ended up getting to #3 on garageband.com. It was kinda poppy sounding, though. But I was still proud of that tune. :)

mcan
07-25-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm in my first song writing process seriously. Don't have anything complete yet, but I have a bunch of unfinished tunes, and melodies. In a week, I set up my studio (waiting for the roommate to move out of that room) and I'll be laying it down.

I plan to have an album of about a dozen songs or so completed by the end of the year.

It'll be blues/classic rock/jazzy/folk influence... Think Steely Dan meets Crosby Stills and Nash with the occaisional Clapton or Keb Mo-ish track.

At least thats the idea. But some of my stuff sounds very Elliot Smith or early Beatles. I'm not sure which direction it's going because non of it is finished, and every time I play some of these things, they sound a bit different. But, its the first time I've gotten serious about writing.