PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about attacking birds

Nzoner
07-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Sorry to interrupt all the Ty Law hoopla but I went outside a bit ago and I hear the mrs yelling from around the deck so I think wtf and go see what's going on.

There's like four birds swooping at her and so I go to her and begin to use a towel I had to slap at them.They retreated for a bit but as she had me go with her to water a couple of trees they start in again like a scene from a Hitchcock movie.

Had to be quite a hilarious sight for people driving by the mrs and I ducking so often and me waving a white towel in the air as if to say I surrender.

Anyhow,these birds are no bigger than sparrows and if it keeps up I'm going to have to get rid of them.Anyone know what they might be or ever had experience with this kind of thing?

LocoChiefsFan
07-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Barn swallows and a few other birds will ''swoop'' down at ya, but most of the time they are catching mosquitos and flys. Maybe that's what was going on.

mac58
07-23-2006, 07:37 PM
i think Ty Law will help us defeat the seahawks in oct. . .

OldTownChief
07-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Probably nest's with little ones in those trees she was watering.

Coach
07-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Get a gun. Heh.

ChiefFan31
07-23-2006, 07:44 PM

I second that

That would have to be about the only reason, being territorial or protecting young ones.

Nzoner
07-23-2006, 07:45 PM

No these trees are new not big enough,I did just finish reading a story on barn swallows though and that's what they are.I'm thinking they've built a nest up under a section of the deck.

ImAWalkingCorpse
07-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Time to knock the nest down and kill them.

chiefs4me
07-23-2006, 07:59 PM

omg...great post, rep for you!!!!!ROFL

Hammock Parties
07-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Two words: Twelve gauge.

cdcox
07-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Could have been a wounded bird in the area. Rainman told a story a couple weeks ago about a backyard experience with a wounded bird and his cats.

A couple days later I saw something similar leaving from work. There was a bird with a bad wing on the ground. Another bird was pecking at its wing, trying to fix it. A third bird was perched on the stair railing serving as a lookout. As I approached, the lookout tweeted and flew off, the medic and the downed bird hopped about 10 ft away. Once I got a safe distance away, the medic went back to work and the lookout resumed his position.

KcMizzou
07-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Could have been a wounded bird in the area. Rainman told a story a couple weeks ago about a backyard experience with a wounded bird and his cats.

Ah, yes. That was an epic battle. ROFL

Bwana
07-24-2006, 12:30 AM
It could have been worse. If this bird thing keeps up, invite Dick Cheney over for a beer, but stay in the house while he takes care of it! :p

Logical
07-24-2006, 03:24 AM
Two words: Twelve gauge.

One word: Overkill

HemiEd
07-24-2006, 04:19 AM
It could have been worse. If this bird thing keeps up, invite Dick Cheney over for a beer, but stay in the house while he takes care of it! :p

ROFL

greg63
07-24-2006, 05:10 AM
This happened to me once while I worked as a Case Manager at an Independent Living Center. I went into a person's home who had pet birds flying around loose in his house. There was bird poop everywhere; I was never gladder to leave a place.

Predarat
07-24-2006, 09:05 AM
Put out a bowl of antifreeze.

Saulbadguy
07-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Put out a bowl of antifreeze.
I'm surprised it took this long.

Jilly
07-24-2006, 09:17 AM
My dad and I just talked about this....were they swooping and pecking or just flying near? If they were just flying near, like someone said earlier, it's a distraction from a bird that might be hurt. If they are swooping and pecking at you - well, maybe they didn't like the way your wife looked at them.

My suggestion - get a dog. Dog's have a way of nabbing birds right out of the air.

Saulbadguy
07-24-2006, 09:18 AM
I heard rubber snakes work well.

Stinger
07-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Did it look like this?

http://free-stock-photos.com/bird/pictures/red-wing-blackbird-1.jpg

Red wing black birds very territorial and can be out right mean. Had one on the 18th green at course I used to play in a shrub. When the pin would be in the right spot we would send someone over who has never played there before and watch them scatter as the bird would swoop on them. :D

No matter if you played bad or not that made the round fun.

StcChief
07-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Let's not forget the

AZ Cardinals :rolleyes:

Baltimore Ravens :banghead:

Bwana
07-24-2006, 10:29 AM
Did it look like this?

http://free-stock-photos.com/bird/pictures/red-wing-blackbird-2.jpg

Red wing black birds very territorial and can be out right mean. Had one on the 18th green at course I used to play in a shrub. When the pin would be in the right spot we would send someone over who has never played there before and watch them scatter as the bird would swoop on them. :D

No matter if you played bad or not that made the round fun.

A red X? :hmmm:

Hehe, no those red wing black birds can get nasty. They like to hang out near a bass pond where I go fishing in the cattails. Last year one kept dive bombing me to the point were I was ready to go up to the truck and grab the shotgun. I managed to give it a good hard bitch slap with the end of my fishing rod which was enough to give it an attitude adjustment and it left me along for the rest of the day.