PDA

View Full Version : Fullback Situation

Robo-Chachi
07-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Hey all, I was wondering if you could help inform me on this. Are we going into the season with Ronnie Cruz as our fullback? Is it likely we will pick up a vet FB after cuts start getting made? With so much emphasis being placed on our running game I am uneasy about Ronnie Cruz being LJ's lead blocker. We've been spoiled with good FB play for a long time. I'm worried about the position this season.

mac58
07-24-2006, 10:01 AM
I think they are planning on LJ being LJ's lead blocker. . .

StcChief
07-24-2006, 10:07 AM
This maybe another unexpected issue....
I hope not and Herm/Solari know Cruz can get it done.

Dunn as lead from blocking TE...

Or LJ can be a run them over guy with OUT a lead.

HemiEd
07-24-2006, 10:15 AM
I have a feeling they are going to start using our secret weapon, Kris Wilson.

Fish
07-24-2006, 10:36 AM
For some reason I don't think FB is going to be as much of an issue as people think. I think the team will miss TRich more in the locker room than they will on the field.....

NJ Chief Fan
07-24-2006, 10:37 AM
robert holcombe

KCTitus
07-24-2006, 10:53 AM
For some reason I don't think FB is going to be as much of an issue as people think. I think the team will miss TRich more in the locker room than they will on the field.....

WTF?

Iowanian
07-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Holcombe is done and not on the roster.

FB is Cruz at #1 going into camp....Slaughter from Auburn has a shot, and blocked for a couple of successful backs.

Skini
07-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Tony Richardson can't be replaced, he was a leader and one hell of a player. However someone told me of a stat, and I have no backup on this, but only 300-400 of LJ's yards last season came when T-Rich was on the field, most of his yards came when we ran him from single back?

Tatertot13
07-24-2006, 11:15 AM
They could always use more two tight end formations to assist with blocking if the FB situation gets sketchy. I think Cruz will do fine though.

stevieray
07-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Cruz is going to light people up.

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 11:21 AM
They already use the 2TE formation alot. They'll continue to do it.

I hate to say it, but when it comes to straight up run blocking:

Dunn > TRich

Iowanian
07-24-2006, 11:23 AM
"Oh crap, Kimble Anders is done....how in the hell is this RFA named Richardson going to hold his jock?"

Sound familiar?

I think Cruz will do alright.

KCTitus
07-24-2006, 11:27 AM
"Oh crap, Kimble Anders is done....how in the hell is this RFA named Richardson going to hold his jock?"

Sound familiar?

Not really...in the 90's KC was silly with FB's. KA, TRich and Donnell The Playmaker Bennett were both KC's FB's and RB's after Allen retired and Greg Hill was named 'Real Deal'.

ck_IN
07-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Two words: Omar Easy

MGRS13
07-24-2006, 12:24 PM
I miss T-Rich but I'm willing to give Cruz a chance, hell have you seen that guy hes built like a brick house.

Spicy McHaggis
07-24-2006, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't be suprised to see Cruz actually get a few carries this season, especially if the backup situation remains sketchy.

Mr. Laz
07-24-2006, 12:28 PM
short yardage is the key area of worry imo

1. with LJ we used more single back sets anyway
2. Trich wasn't that good of a receiver anyway
3. Pass protection - i think LJ learned his lesson
4. Passing game - Kris Wilson???
5. short yardage - ????

i wonder if we might use a Olineman at FB for short yardage? Surely we have enough offensive guards to find one that can do that job.

Dunit35
07-24-2006, 12:53 PM
When I saw Cruz at that mini-camp I came away very impressed with his effort. He was sprinting all over the field. Atleast he goes hard all day.

tk13
07-24-2006, 12:58 PM
I want to see Cruz get it. I think he'll earn the job... people are going to be surprised. I doubt he'll be able to get out and block sweeps as well as T-Rich did, but going straight ahead with LJ, I think he can do it. He was destroying people last preseason, Vermeil even made a sarcastic comment once about how he told Cruz he's gonna be driving a much nicer car in a few years. Something like that, I forget the exact quote. There's a reason we kept him on the roster. The first time Cruz obliterates somebody this whole board is gonna go nuts and jump on his bandwagon though.

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 01:04 PM
I can't wait to see Cruz in preseason...the people that have seen him practice all have good things to say...

Mecca
07-24-2006, 01:04 PM
I don't think this is a huge deal, the Chiefs run mostly singleback sets.

tk13
07-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Q: Is Ronnie Cruz ready to be a fullback?

VERMEIL: “Not yet, but he did an awfully good job last night if you watched the game closely. Did you watch him on special teams? As I told him he’s going to be able to afford something better than a Yukon.”

Pitt Gorilla
07-24-2006, 01:06 PM
I want to see Cruz get it. I think he'll earn the job... people are going to be surprised. I doubt he'll be able to get out and block sweeps as well as T-Rich did, but going straight ahead with LJ, I think he can do it. He was destroying people last preseason, Vermeil even made a sarcastic comment once about how he told Cruz he's gonna be driving a much nicer car in a few years. Something like that, I forget the exact quote. There's a reason we kept him on the roster. The first time Cruz obliterates somebody this whole board is gonna go nuts and jump on his bandwagon though.Exactly. Cruz's strength is straight-ahead power blocking. That just happens to match LJ's running style.

Fish
07-24-2006, 01:13 PM
When I saw Cruz at that mini-camp I came away very impressed with his effort. He was sprinting all over the field. Atleast he goes hard all day.

Yeah... I remember that. At first I had no clue who he was..... but he was outright ripped..... He was running well and looked very confident.

I think he'll do fine.

Dunit35
07-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Yeah... I remember that. At first I had no clue who he was..... but he was outright ripped..... He was running well and looked very confident.

I think he'll do fine.

yeah...he was one of the guys I wanted to watch that day. He was built and obviously wants this job more than anybody and isn't afraid to put out the effort to get it.

Fish
07-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Pretty good article about Cruz taking over the FB position from Rick Dean about a month ago..... I think he's approaching it with a good attitude....

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/061606/chi_cruz.shtml

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Now you guys have got me excited about Cruz.

Can't wait to see this guy with the 1st team in preseason...

Fish
07-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Now you guys have got me excited about Cruz.

Can't wait to see this guy with the 1st team in preseason...

Yup... I even heard Scanlon gave Cruz a "sup" nod in the locker room the other day......

KCTitus
07-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Yup... I even heard Scanlon gave Cruz a "sup" nod in the locker room the other day......

ROFL

Rooster
07-24-2006, 01:40 PM

That is freakin HUGE.. If Scanlon is on board so am I.

By the way, great article KC Fish.

KCTitus
07-24-2006, 01:44 PM
That is freakin HUGE.. If Scanlon is on board so am I.

True, but we mustn't forget Roy's breakdown of their preseason gamefilm on the guy. That's where they discovered Scanlon.

redsurfer11
07-24-2006, 04:47 PM
If Cruz doesn't work out. We can draft Brian Leonard from Rutgers next year.

Tribal Warfare
07-24-2006, 05:03 PM
If Cruz doesn't work out. We can draft Brian Leonard from Rutgers next year.

Leonard is a Kimble Anders clone, I'd grab him quicker than a stoner hiding his stash at a green party fundraiser

jlscorpio
07-24-2006, 06:17 PM
We don't need a big-time FB as much as we use Dunn in 2-TE sets. Cruz will be fine for what we will ask of him. I'll give you my report when I return from UWRF Aug 7.

suds79
07-24-2006, 06:34 PM
I loved watching T-Rich play but as sad as I was to see him go, I'm not too worried about who's playing FB.

Seriously. If you had to list all the offensive positions on the field from most important to least, FB would pretty much come in dead last. It's just not an impact position.