PDA

View Full Version : Report: Porter being actively shopped by Raiders

Marco Polo
07-26-2006, 10:12 AM
The Raiders have reportedly been actively shopping Jerry Porter, who is in search of a trade.
Speculation began this weekend when ex-Raider Lincoln Kennedy told a Bay Area radio station Porter wanted out of Oakland. Porter, who has allegedly clashed with Hall of Fame coaches Fred Belitnikoff and Art Shell this offseason in heated shouting matches, told a newspaper Tuesday he's informed the team he wants to be dealt. Oakland would take a large cap hit if Porter was traded or cut. Jul. 26 - 12:06 pm et
Source: ProFootballTalk.com (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

Saulbadguy
07-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Awesome.

WilliamTheIrish
07-26-2006, 10:14 AM
I doubt Porter is going anywhere. Besides, he's a perfect Raider.

Biggest underachiever in the division. Okay, him and Lelie are 1 and 1(a)

Dartgod
07-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Where do they get that he is "being actively shopped" out of that? All I see is that Porter wants to be traded and Kennedy verified it. :shrug:

WilliamTheIrish
07-26-2006, 10:15 AM
PFT?

I've been scammed.

morphius
07-26-2006, 10:17 AM
Anyone wanting out of the orginization isn't much of a shocker.

ChiefsfaninPA
07-26-2006, 10:25 AM
I can't wait until some rookie pulls an Elway or Manning and refuse to play in that hell hole and for the pathetic organization. Don't get me wrong, Porter fits the mold to be there but they have drafted some good players over the years whose careers were screwed because they played there.

jspchief
07-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Porter could be the most over-rated WR in the league.

Every year we hear about how he's finally going to live up to his potential.

jlscorpio
07-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Trade Huard for Huff now

StcChief
07-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Joy in Faiderland... LOL

ChiefFan31
07-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Trade Huard for Huff now

Shit..Huard, Wesley, Hicks, and Bartee.

It aint EVER going happen, but one can still dream and drool.

Pollard at SS
Huff at FS
with Law and Surtain at the corners :drool: :drool:

Ari Chi3fs
07-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Porter is a monster who hasnt been in a good system yet, and has had to learn 4 systems in X amount of years. Give this guy a solid system he can grab onto for 3-4 years and watch him excel.

Now, Lelie is a dumbass... he has been in same system for a few years... and he doesnt do it well. At least Porter has that issue to consider whereas Lelie, you do not.

Porter threads instead of Law threads now!!

Get it done Carl!!

Dammit Carl!!! :cuss: tm

Hog Farmer
07-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Raiders = Royals

Mr. Laz
07-26-2006, 11:22 AM
PFT?

I've been scammed.
just reported on espn too

i guess porter is no longer a starter in practice either

Pitt Gorilla
07-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Raiders = RoyalsIf ever there was a reason for neg rep, this would be it.

el borracho
07-26-2006, 11:28 AM
On the good side it's trouble for the Raidurrs.

On the bad side it's one more primadonna athlete dictating what teams do. There really should be some kind of league-wide policy which discourages this kind of crap. If I were a Raidurr fan I would be pissed.

Mr. Laz
07-26-2006, 11:33 AM
On the good side it's trouble for the Raidurrs.

On the bad side it's one more primadonna athlete dictating what teams do. There really should be some kind of league-wide policy which discourages this kind of crap. If I were a Raidurr fan I would be pissed.
actually the latest CBA actually allows this stuff to happen MORE ... not less. :mad:

i wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that Porter is doing this because in his mind it makes him more like a premiere wide receiver(owens,Moss etc)

get a new contract ..... immediately cause trouble to try and get yourself cut or traded so you can get another new contract with another new signing bonus. rinse,repeat

Porter is a wannabe .... this might be just another wannabe maneuver.

beavis
07-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Raiders = Royals
OMG it's almost training camp no Royals!

WilliamTheIrish
07-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Porter is a monster who hasnt been in a good system yet, and has had to learn 4 systems in X amount of years. Give this guy a solid system he can grab onto for 3-4 years and watch him excel.

Now, Lelie is a dumbass... he has been in same system for a few years... and he doesnt do it well. At least Porter has that issue to consider whereas Lelie, you do not.

Porter threads instead of Law threads now!!

Get it done Carl!!

Dammit Carl!!! :cuss: tm

I disagree. For years we've heard all the hype. He's another Michael Rix. Granted he's had his share of bad luck. (I think he had appendicitis one year right as training camp started.)

Tons of talent. All the athletic gifts that a guy could want. But it just hasn't translated to the field. .

KcKing
07-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Porter told the newspaper that his agent told him that the Raiders have asked for two No. 1 picks in return for him in any deal. "Why ... would you ask for a No. 1 for me, or ask for two No. 1s for me, when I wasn't even a No. 1?," he told the newspaper.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2530265

^^Nobody's giving up 2 Number 1's for Porter... He ain't goin anywhere...

Mecca
07-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Porter wants out because Art Shell is being a flaming ass.....that's basically what NFL live reported.

Things like this....

"That's not gonna be. Not under me, and 99.9 percent of the players here feel that way. They want direction. We're going to give them direction. And I'm not going to back down off of that.

"A couple of the inmates have been trying to run the doggone culture around here. They've been running the program. And that's not gonna be anymore. I'm the head coach. I'm the guy in charge."

Then Jerry Porter in the offseason told them he was going to train in Florida where he lives and their WR coach asked him why...and he told him he needed his batteries recharged. Then he said he needed some time away cause he wasn't sure about all the changes the Raiders made....

Then Art Shell jumped in and said "who the **** do you think you are?" Yea I don't think Porter is going to play there, and from the sounds of it Shell is going to do real well getting players to play for him with this attitude.

BIG_DADDY
07-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Porter wants out because Art Shell is being a flaming ass.....that's basically what NFL live reported.

Things like this....

"That's not gonna be. Not under me, and 99.9 percent of the players here feel that way. They want direction. We're going to give them direction. And I'm not going to back down off of that.

"A couple of the inmates have been trying to run the doggone culture around here. They've been running the program. And that's not gonna be anymore. I'm the head coach. I'm the guy in charge."

Then Jerry Porter in the offseason told them he was going to train in Florida where he lives and their WR coach asked him why...and he told him he needed his batteries recharged. Then he said he needed some time away cause he wasn't sure about all the changes the Raiders made....

Then Art Shell jumped in and said "who the **** do you think you are?" Yea I don't think Porter is going to play there, and from the sounds of it Shell is going to do real well getting players to play for him with this attitude.

He's right about one thing, the inmates have been running the asylum in Oakland.

Cochise
07-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Raiders = Royals

Rep for u!

Guess which color.

Mecca
07-26-2006, 02:58 PM
He's right about one thing, the inmates have been running the asylum in Oakland.

It's one thing to jump on a guy for trying to run the team..........it's another to do it because he wants to train in Florida.

Fish
07-26-2006, 03:00 PM

I don't know.... I'd consider Al Davis an inmate himself.........

morphius
07-26-2006, 03:19 PM
It's one thing to jump on a guy for trying to run the team..........it's another to do it because he wants to train in Florida.
A lot of players get heat for that, because the coaches want them there to teach them things. Especially when you are talking about a new staff and a completely different philosophy.

Of course I would say WTF to someone who said what he did as well, was he impressed with the way they were going before?

cmh6476
07-26-2006, 05:28 PM
the ship is sinking:

as per ESPN.com

Updated: July 26, 2006, 11:41 AM ET
Report: Raiders' Porter says he wants to be tradedESPN.com news services

Jerry Porter reportedly isn't on board with new Raiders coach Art Shell.

Jerry Porter
Wide Receiver
Oakland Raiders

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC
76 942 5 12.4 49 225

The wide receiver told The San Francisco Chronicle that he has asked the team to trade him.

"Yes. Absolutely. I've told them that," Porter told the newspaper. The 2000 second round pick has caught 239 passes in his six NFL seasons for 3,215 yards and has scored 24 touchdowns.

Porter told the newspaper that his agent told him that the Raiders have asked for two No. 1 picks in return for him in any deal. "Why ... would you ask for a No. 1 for me, or ask for two No. 1s for me, when I wasn't even a No. 1?," he told the newspaper.

Porter told the newspaper he had a run-in with Shell and receivers coach Fred Biletnikoff shortly after Shell was hired when he told them he wanted to work out in Florida instead of participating in the team's offseason conditioning program.

"Ever since then, [Shell] hasn't said anything to me, I haven't said anything to him," Porter told the Chronicle.

Shell didn't dispute Porter's version of events and emphasized to the newspaper that he is trying to change the culture of the Raiders, who are 13-35 the past three seasons.

"The culture is changing," Shell told the Chronicle, "and everybody has been on board and trying to get involved in the process of winning football games, and getting in here, working. You can't have inmates running the asylum.

Shell, who coached the Raiders previously from 1989-1994, had a 54-38 regular-season record his first time around, leading the Raiders to the AFC Championship Game following the 1990 season. The team has had only three winning seasons since Shell was fired -- one less than he had in five full seasons as coach.

WilliamTheIrish
07-26-2006, 05:33 PM
239 passes in his six NFL seasons for 3,215 yards and has scored 24 touchdowns.

These stats just scream out "two number one's" in trade.

Mecca
07-26-2006, 05:35 PM
A lot of players get heat for that, because the coaches want them there to teach them things. Especially when you are talking about a new staff and a completely different philosophy.

Of course I would say WTF to someone who said what he did as well, was he impressed with the way they were going before?

Well 2 things, Porters had that same WR coach his entire career that hasn't changed. And also he showed up to the Raiders camp 20lbs lighter looking like this.............
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/872/jerryqj0.jpg

I think a good coach would say "what are you concerned about, we can come to a common ground with this." Not "Who the **** do you think you are? Who do you think you're talking to?"

Mecca
07-26-2006, 05:36 PM
These stats just scream out "two number one's" in trade.

He didn't play much his first 3 seasons in the league, take that into account. He was saddled behind the old men that John Gruden loved in Rice and Brown.

I'd take Jerry Porter for like a 4th round pick. Hell he'd start for us but they'd never trade him here so that's out anyway.

WilliamTheIrish
07-26-2006, 05:43 PM
He didn't play much his first 3 seasons in the league, take that into account. He was saddled behind the old men that John Gruden loved in Rice and Brown.

I'd take Jerry Porter for like a 4th round pick. Hell he'd start for us but they'd never trade him here so that's out anyway.

A 4th? Absolutey maybe.

Year in and year out we hear the same talk about this guy. Well, it's year 7 of his career and he's done exactly squat. He's always been a physical freak.

Still it hasn't translated into anything but "If Porter could harness all that talent..."

Mecca
07-26-2006, 05:44 PM
He's also played with alot of bum QB's......I do think Porters overhyped but low 3rd or 4th round pick would be pretty good value for him. I'd rather have him than say Ashley Lelie who's a 1 trick pony.

ChiefsCountry
07-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Count on one thing if the dude is an ass or has a criminal record, Mecca wants him on the team.

Mecca
07-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Count on one thing if the dude is an ass or has a criminal record, Mecca wants him on the team.

ROFL......he does not have a criminal record. I consider WR one of this teams few extremely pressing needs that and DT so when someone comes available yes I think we should take a look.

Blackened
07-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Porter is a whinny little B!tch!!

arevaderchi c-sucker..

Porter was summoned into the new boss' office for a get-to-know-you meeting.

As Porter recalls it, the conclave -- with wide receivers coach Fred Biletnikoff present -- went something like this:

"They were asking me what I was going to do as far as the offseason program goes," said Porter, who apparently already was bristling at Shell's take-charge approach. "And I told them, 'I just bought a place in Florida, so I'm going to go down to Florida and work with a trainer.' "

Porter continued. "And this is Freddie B talking. He said, 'What's the matter, stud, you're not gonna stay here for the program?' And I'm saying, 'Nah, I've got to get away and charge my batteries.'

"And (Biletnikoff) says, 'Well, your battery's not charged?'

"And I'm like, 'No.' "

From here, as Porter remembers it, the dialogue grew more heated.

Biletnikoff: "Your batteries aren't already charged?"

Porter: "No, they're not."

Biletnikoff: "So, what's the problem?"

Porter: "Well, for one thing, I don't like the way things are going around here."

At that point, Porter recalls, the head coach intervened.

"And then Art chimes in, 'Who the f -- do you think you are?' " Porter recalled. "And then it starts from there. Art says, 'Who the ... do you think you're talking to?'

What an AZZCLOWN!!

http://www.raiders.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/FFBFDKJNKJLF/072506gallery21.jpg

Mecca
07-26-2006, 06:01 PM
That's all nice but if someone said to me "who the **** do you think you are? do you know who you're talking to? I don't think I'd have a very positive reaction either.......

See like I said before a good coach would have simply asked him what his concerns were. This is a situation that could have been easily avoided and resolved if Art Shell hadn't gone into his "who do you think you are!" speach.

WilliamTheIrish
07-26-2006, 06:05 PM
That's all nice but if someone said to me "who the **** do you think you are? do you know who you're talking to? I don't think I'd have a very positive reaction either.......

See like I said before a good coach would have simply asked him what his concerns were. This is a situation that could have been easily avoided and resolved if Art Shell hadn't gone into his "who do you think you are!" speach.

Seeing as how we're hearing from Porter's persecuted perspective, I have a feeling that it probably was a little different than the yarn spun by one Jerry Porter.
The two guys he was talking to are NFL legends who have a pedigree of wining and teamwork.

Porter? A pedigree of injury and unfulfilled potential.

Mecca
07-26-2006, 06:09 PM
If Jerry Porter wanted to be an ass he could have said "looks to me like I'm talking to a coach that hasn't coached since I was in high school."

Art Shell is trying to be a tough guy here and establish discipline but it's causing a major overblow to this sitaution.

Jim Jones
07-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Well 2 things, Porters had that same WR coach his entire career that hasn't changed. And also he showed up to the Raiders camp 20lbs lighter looking like this.............

I think a good coach would say "what are you concerned about, we can come to a common ground with this." Not "Who the **** do you think you are? Who do you think you're talking to?"

That pic could almost make me go gay.

Wait, nevermind.

58-4ever
07-26-2006, 06:55 PM
That pic could almost make me go gay.

Wait, nevermind.

First a Raiders fan and now this? ROFL

58-4ever
07-26-2006, 06:56 PM
I actually heard that Art Shell, Michael Strahan, and Lance Bass had a threesome.

Mecca
07-26-2006, 07:08 PM
I actually heard that Art Shell, Michael Strahan, and Lance Bass had a threesome.

EW..........does anyone else think Art Shell looks like Don King now?

hypersensitiveZO6
07-26-2006, 07:09 PM

:shake::shake::shake:

BigRock
07-26-2006, 07:27 PM

Any chump can wear one of those big gold title belts, but the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase belt? That's some old school hardware.

KCChiefsFan88
07-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Porter would be a good addition for the Chiefs and would more than likely win the starting WR spot opposite Kennison... too bad hell freezing over and Israel stopping their aggression against Lebanon and the Palestinians have a better chance of happening, than the Chiefs negotiating a trade with the Raiders.

Blackened
07-26-2006, 08:13 PM

thats hot....

Spicy McHaggis
07-26-2006, 10:48 PM
I've heard the Raiders asking price is 2 first rounders. Which makes me laugh. And laugh.

cdcox
07-26-2006, 11:31 PM

Train in Florida? That is a BS attitude. Next think you know he'll want to wear #5. What a head case.

SNR
07-26-2006, 11:58 PM
I remember when we were so lucky to have Sylvester Morris in the draft, because Porter sucked that much more than him.

Just sayin...

stevieray
07-26-2006, 11:59 PM

I see trouble in your future.

58-4ever
07-26-2006, 11:59 PM
I remember when we were so lucky to have Sylvester Morris in the draft, because Porter sucked that much more than him.

Just sayin...

That name should be banned from the Planet. Just like that kicker's name.

Frankie
07-27-2006, 12:30 PM
I've heard the Raiders asking price is 2 first rounders. Which makes me laugh. And laugh.
How's bout Porter for Kennison? :hmmm: