PDA

View Full Version : SI AFC West Offseason Grades

Donger
07-26-2006, 10:52 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/07/26/offseason.grades.afc/2.html

FWIW.

DENVER BRONCOS

What Went Right: They traded for receiver Javon Walker. If his reconstructed ACL doesn't give him problems, the Broncos offense goes to another level. There's also talk that rookie defensive end Elvis Dumervil could be a sleeper. Defensive line coach Andre Patterson loves his quickness and the productivity that he had in college.

What Went Wrong: They trusted punter Todd Sauerbrun, who faces a four-game suspension for violating the league's policy on banned substances.

Grade: B+

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

What Went Right: Two words -- Ty Law. He makes them a Super Bowl contender. He'll make fellow cornerback Patrick Surtain better, give defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham more opportunities to blitz, and even help a pass rush that remains suspect.

What Went Wrong: They didn't find a reliable backup for quarterback Trent Green. If he goes down, Law can't get under center. Their wide receivers don't scare anybody, either.

Grade: B+

OAKLAND RAIDERS

What Went Right: They eventually hired a coach (Art Shell) after everybody without a connection to the place passed. They drafted a stud safety in Michael Huff. They moved Robert Gallery to left tackle, his natural position, after using him on the right side for the last two years.

What Went Wrong: Somebody explain to me why defensive coordinator Rob Ryan still has a job.

Grade: D+

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

What Went Right: They added depth at cornerback by drafting Antonio Cromartie in the first round. True, a knee injury sidelined him for most of 2005, but coach Marty Schottenheimer loves big corners (Cromartie is 6-foot-2, 207).

What Went Wrong: They picked Phillip Rivers over Drew Brees. The only way this works out for San Diego is if Brees becomes the next Chad Pennington. They also let the friction between Schottenheimer and general manager A.J. Smith go public. And as far as I can tell, they haven't realized that Keenan McCardell is entering his 15th year and they still don't have a dependable complement to him at receiver.

Grade: D

CoMoChief
07-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Last time I checked we drafted the best QB in the draft not named Young, Cutler, or Leinart. I think alot of us can agree that Huard needs to go and Coryle and Printers need to battle for the 2nd string because lets face it, if Trent Green goes down we are screwed anyways.

milkman
07-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Does SD's offseason moves really matter?

I mean, they were the best team ever to not make the playoffs, right?

StcChief
07-26-2006, 10:59 AM
What Went Wrong: They didn't find a reliable backup for quarterback Trent Green. If he goes down, Law can't get under center. Their wide receivers don't scare anybody, either.
The Same can be said for most/all organizations.

Huard is serviceable (Hand it to LJ) Throw short.

Dungver - Plummer ? Cutler?

Baby Lee
07-26-2006, 11:07 AM
OAKLAND RAIDERS

What Went Right: They eventually hired a coach (Art Shell) after everybody without a connection to the place passed. They drafted a stud safety in Michael Huff. They moved Robert Gallery to left tackle, his natural position, after using him on the right side for the last two years.

What Went Wrong: Somebody explain to me why defensive coordinator Rob Ryan still has a job.

Grade: D+
Man, when 'what went right' is on your PUP, thassa no good.

Idahored
07-26-2006, 11:16 AM
So what round was Denver's DE picked up in and he is a plus because he could be a sleeper. KC got their DE in the first round and he is no possible upgrade? Whatever.

Thig Lyfe
07-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Hali is a big potential upgrade, and between Croyle and Printers we have a QBOTF. And as nm_dbf said, anybody can hand it to LJ, and that's all we really need.

jidar
07-26-2006, 11:28 AM
this is ****ing stupid.

Obviously Ty Law is one thing that went right, but they don't even mention Tamba or Brodie?

Then when talking about what went wrong they focus on the backup qb and receivers when the d-line is the real weak point.

Brock
07-26-2006, 11:31 AM
The only way this works out for San Diego is if Brees becomes the next Chad Pennington.

Ha ha.

Rain Man
07-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Idahored has a good point, but at the same time I'm still livid and shaking with rage that the Broncos got Dumervil. I think he'll be trouble for us.

DaFace
07-26-2006, 12:07 PM
I think one-paragraph evaluations of a team should be banned from sports journalism. I've never read a single one that comes close to reality.