PDA

View Full Version : Interesting (sort of) article for Big XII basketball fans.

Saulbadguy
07-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Barry Collier, coach of NU basketball, wants to be the AD at Butler?

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060726/SPORTS06/607260420/1004/SPORTS

Collier a finalist for Butler job
Former Bulldogs basketball coach 1 of 3 in running to become athletic director

By Jeff Rabjohns
jeff.rabjohns@indystar.com
Former Butler men's basketball coach Barry Collier is one of three finalists for the university's athletic director position, the chairman of the search committee confirmed Tuesday.

Collier, set to enter his seventh season as the men's basketball coach at Nebraska, spent 11 years as the coach at Butler, leading the resurgence of the men's basketball program.
The formal interviews with the three candidates are scheduled to begin today, multiple people with knowledge of the situation said. Mike Watson, an associate athletic director at Miami (Ohio), is scheduled to interview today. Ralph Reiff, the director of St. Vincent Sports Medicine, is scheduled to interview Thursday, and Collier is scheduled to interview Friday.
"We had 70 applicants, and we think the field was very strong, so it was not particularly easy to get down to this group," said the search committee chair, Dr. Joseph Kirsch, an associate provost, chemistry professor and faculty athletic representative.
"We think this group is very good. The next three days will be very important in determining who gets the position."
Collier has been under fire recently at Nebraska after six years with no NCAA Tournament appearances. He's 89-91 with two NIT trips and a best finish of sixth in the Big 12, in 2005-06.
Speculation about his future was rampant in March when Nebraska announced he would remain at least one more year.
Collier is entering the third year of a four-year contract with a salary of $633,818, four to five times what an athletic director at a mid-major typically earns.
At Nebraska, Collier also gets the use of two cars and a $50,000 allowance for his $725,000 home on a golf course, according to the Omaha World-Herald.
Collier played two seasons at Butler (1974-76) and returned as the Bulldogs' coach in 1989. He took over a program that had been above .500 only five times in the 19 years since legendary Tony Hinkle retired in 1970 and led the Bulldogs to three NCAA Tournaments and three NITs.
Collier, 196-132 at Butler, is behind only Hinkle in coaching victories. Collier, who does not have athletic administration experience, is scheduled to be inducted into the Butler athletic Hall of Fame this weekend.
Reiff previously was the director of sports medicine at Butler. A nationally known figure in his field, he was the manager of athlete care for the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta and has worked with the NBA, USA Basketball and USA Track & Field.
Watson did not immediately return calls, but his voice mail message said he would be out of the office Tuesday and today.
Reiff could not be reached for comment. Collier declined comment through a Nebraska athletic department spokesman.
Kirsch said there was not a front-runner.
"We want to get a good person," said Kirsch, a 1964 Butler graduate. "That's the right thing to do. Doing it quickly isn't as important."
Butler has been searching for an athletic director since John Parry announced his resignation May 10. In another athletic matter, Butler announced Tuesday senior associate athletic director Carol Reep has resigned to take a position with the NCAA.

Call Star reporter Jeff Rabjohns at (317) 444-6183.

Copyright 2006 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved

Saulbadguy
07-26-2006, 02:49 PM
First, Spinelli (their best Assistant and head recruiter) leaves NU for Wichita State, and now Collier wants to leave for a much lower paying job?

No wonder the "best fans in college football" could give a shit less about their schools basketball program.

Baconeater
07-26-2006, 03:00 PM
I'd tell him to not let the door hit him on his ass on the way out, but it's not like we are going to get anyone who's any better to come here.

Saulbadguy
07-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Nebraska coach Barry Collier is leaving to return to Butler as the athletic director.

Collier, who interviewed for the position on Friday and will be inducted into the school's Hall of Fame today, is out as the Cornhuskers head coach, according to sources close to the situation.
The 52-year-old Collier played at Butler and went to a trio of NCAA tournaments in 11 seasons as the school's head coach from 1989-2000, when he compiled a 196-132 record.

Collier led Nebraska to 19 wins, the most since 1998, and the Cornhuskers made the postseason two of the past three years, but he still didn't have a vote of confidence from the higher-ups as he was in the third year of a four-year deal and hadn't received an extension. Collier was 89-91 in six seasons in Lincoln.

Some of the names expected to be in the mix to replace Collier include former Nebraska assistant Scott Spinelli, who is now the top assistant at Wichita State and has brought in most of the top players in the program (returnees Jamel White and Aleks Maric and talented incoming freshman Roburt Sallie and Ryan Anderson). Wyoming coach Steve McClain should get a serious look he graduated from Chadron State College in Nebraska, won a national title at Hutchinson Community College and has won a pair of conference crowns at Wyoming.

Kent State's Jim Christian has ties to Nebraska AD Steve Pederson and will likely go after the opening. Nevada's Mark Fox could also be in the mix, but he's got a talented team coming back led by All-American candidate Nick Fazekas. Wichita State head coach Mark Turgeon is a long shot, but he hails from Nebraska. Another possibility is UCLA assistant Kerry Keating.

Former Utah head man Rick Majerus and Creighton coach Dana Altman may also be mentioned, but sources have told FOXSports.com that neither is interested.

CoMoChief
07-29-2006, 11:52 AM
Thats really weird. There must have been some riff between him and some FO guys or something to make him want to do that.

Coach
07-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Thats really weird. There must have been some riff between him and some FO guys or something to make him want to do that.

That's what I think as well. He's a solid coach, having to deal with a very brutal Big XII conference.

Saulbadguy
07-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Do you think it could be NU doesn't give a shit about basketball? No support.

HemiEd
07-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Spinelli is a prospect for the job? That would be a pretty short tenure at WSU!

Saulbadguy
07-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Spinelli is a prospect for the job? That would be a pretty short tenure at WSU!
I doubt it.

HemiEd
07-29-2006, 12:39 PM
I doubt it.

You would know better than I, hope you are right.

Coach
07-29-2006, 12:50 PM

Naw, I don't think they ever cared, despite getting 19 wins, which i think is a solid record despite being in a brutal Big 12 conf.

Of course, with Nebraska's AD Pederson, I doubt he cares about anything. Heh heh.

CoMoChief
07-29-2006, 01:47 PM

That may be true but I didnt even know Butler had an athletic dept. j/k but I think you catch my drift here. With the logic you're using, you can say that about any school that is nationally prominent in one area of athletics like Duke or KU basketball. No one really gives a shit about their football programs.

alanm
07-29-2006, 01:50 PM
I doubt it.
Spinelli would be back in a heartbeat if they offered him the job. The only reason he left was because he figured he'd be looking for work after this coming season.

Saulbadguy
07-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Spinelli would be back in a heartbeat if they offered him the job. The only reason he left was because he figured he'd be looking for work after this coming season.
:rolleyes: