PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Car question

badgirl
07-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Ok, I have wanted a muscle car for quiet sometime and I have saved enough finally to consider purchasing one. Do you guys think this is a good deal?

1971 Dodge Challenger T/A convertible, v8, Shaker, 426 Hemi, Indy Heads, TT1 Exhaust,4 speed pistol grip, Dana 60 rear, Big Bars, Disc Brakes Front, 10,000 dollars obo.

Is 10,000 a good price for this car?

or here is another one I am considering in my price range, I'd like to know the deal I should go with.

1965 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible, exceptionally rare muscle car in excellent condition with new paint, restored interior and 350 engine with only 10,000 miles.$8,500.

Which one should I go with??

DJJasonp
07-26-2006, 11:34 PM
tough decision.....

Always been a fan of the Impala SS though (especially convertible).....

burt
07-26-2006, 11:35 PM
Ok, I have wanted a muscle car for quiet sometime and I have saved enough finally to consider purchasing one. Do you guys think this is a good deal?

1971 Dodge Challenger T/A, v8, Shaker, 426 Hemi, Indy Heads, TT1 Exhaust,4 speed pistol grip, Dana 60 rear, Big Bars, Disc Brakes Front, 10,000 dollars obo.

or here is another one I am considering in my price range, I'd like to know the deal I should go with.

1965 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible, exceptionally rare muscle car in excellent condition with new paint, restored interior and 350 engine with only 10,000 miles.$8,500.

Impala SS Convertible.....

Miles
07-26-2006, 11:38 PM
You should get some good responses out of this place. Wonder which one HemiEd would pick...

I don't really know that much about them but how are they both restoration wise? Are there a lot of modern mods or replacements that make them that much off stock?

Also this will be your weekend car right?

badgirl
07-26-2006, 11:39 PM
You should get some good responses out of this place. Wonder which one HemiEd would pick...

I don't really know that much about them but how are they both restoration wise? Are there a lot of modern mods or replacements that make them that much off stock?

Also this will be your weekend car right?
correct, I won't be driving it everyday.

From the ads it sounds if they both already have been restored at least partially.

Luzap
07-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Badgirl,

I am a huge fan of Challengers...

I'm curious though: 426 Hemi? I remember the 440 Hemis and the 383 Hemis (as well as Magnums) ~ are you sure it's a 426?

Luz
i'd be curious to know if they made a 426...

Miles
07-26-2006, 11:47 PM
correct, I won't be driving it everyday.

From the ads it sounds if they both already have been restored at least partially.

Both are pretty damn nice muscle car models. I am definitly more partial to the Challenger and it wouldnt have the issues associated with owning a 40 yr old drop top.

The restoration/condition is the big key and I dont really know why I am responding since I don't exactly know shit about owning them but I am somehow drawn to car threads.

badgirl
07-26-2006, 11:52 PM
Badgirl,

I'm curious though: 426 Hemi? I remember the 440 Hemis and the 383 Hemis (as well as Magnums) ~ are you sure it's a 426?

Luz
The ad says 426 Hemi.

burt
07-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Both are pretty damn nice muscle car models. I am definitly more partial to the Challenger and it wouldnt have the issues associated with owning a 40 yr old drop top.

The restoration/condition is the big key and I dont really know why I am responding since I don't exactly know shit about owning them but I am somehow drawn to car threads.

In a good restoration there wouldn't be any issues associated with owning a 40 yr old drop top.

badgirl
07-26-2006, 11:55 PM

From the pics the Challenger looks great,

The Challenger as well as the Impala are both convertibles by the way

Miles
07-26-2006, 11:56 PM
In a good restoration there wouldn't be any issues associated with owning a 40 yr old drop top.

Good point. One of the few I can think of that I have actually ridden in a decent amout of times was an old Cutlass. Though it had a pretty expensive and complete restoration job done.

I may be wrong in assuming this but it seems like it takes a decent amount to make them right?

Halfcan
07-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Buy a Honda Accord-they will hold there value better. Those others are too old-lol

badgirl
07-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Buy a Honda Accord-they will hold there value better. Those others are too old-lol
ROFL ROFL

burt
07-27-2006, 12:01 AM
Good point. One of the few I can think of that I have actually ridden in a decent amout of times was an old Cutlass. Though it had a pretty expensive and complete restoration job done.

I may be wrong in assuming this but it seems like it takes a decent amount to make them right?

She's in the right price neighborhood for a decent restoration...not show quality, but I don't think that's what she is looking for.

burt
07-27-2006, 12:02 AM

You are wrong on many levels.....

badgirl
07-27-2006, 12:02 AM

The impala says it has new paint and the interior has been restored already, I don't know if the top has been restored, but I'd think since they have put that much restoration into it that the top should be in good condition also. Just my guess though.

stevieray
07-27-2006, 12:03 AM

In forty years that Accord will be extinct, let alone pull 10k.

burt
07-27-2006, 12:04 AM
The impala says it has new paint and the interior has been restored already, I don't know if the top has been restored, but I'd think since they have put that much restoration into it that the top should be in good condition also. Just my guess though.

Nothin' like actually looking at them....

stevieray
07-27-2006, 12:06 AM
Seriously though, I'd go with the car that is most original.

Especially if this is an investment.

badgirl
07-27-2006, 12:08 AM
Nothin' like actually looking at them....
Well they are both in FL., different parts of FL. I am in Alabama not too far from Pensacola, I would like to look at them personally, but I would like to figure which I would want the most and go look at it first.

burt
07-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Well they are both in FL., different parts of FL. I am in Alabama not too far from Pensacola, I would like to look at them personally, but I would like to figure which I would want the most and go look at it first.

Good call...I love Mobile, BTW.....

badgirl
07-27-2006, 12:11 AM
Good call...I love Mobile, BTW.....
I'm actually south of Mobile in a small town called Theodore, Mobile isn't far at all though

Miles
07-27-2006, 12:13 AM
In forty years that Accord will be extinct, let alone pull 10k.

What you dont think there will be someone in forty years that will want to relive the rice burner race scene? ;)

Hell even then the accord is a poor choice.

burt
07-27-2006, 12:13 AM
I'm actually south of Mobile in a small town called Theodore, about 20 min south of Mobile.

Awesome area...we have vacationed at Gulf Shores...

Halfcan
07-27-2006, 12:14 AM
I got an 85 Grand Marquise I will sell ya for $200 bucks. It runs great and has one almost new tire that I just replaced.

Halfcan
07-27-2006, 12:14 AM
Is Theodore next to Cleaver?

badgirl
07-27-2006, 12:15 AM
I could be in Gulf Shores in about an hour, but my favorite place to go to the beach is Dauphin Island, which is only 30 min from here. Its a 4 mile wide and 10 mile long island. It probably isn't a good place to vacation since it has a private beach, but its a good place to go hang out.

badgirl
07-27-2006, 12:16 AM
I got an 85 Grand Marquise I will sell ya for $200 bucks. It runs great and has one almost new tire that I just replaced.
Do you deliver at that price ROFL

Miles
07-27-2006, 12:16 AM

Gulf Shores is a good time. Pretty nice beaches compaired to what I was used for the Gulf.

burt
07-27-2006, 12:17 AM
I could be in Gulf Shores in about an hour, but my favorite place to go to the beach is Dauphin Island, which is only 30 min from here. Its a 4 mile wide and 10 mile long island. It probably isn't a good place to vacation since it has a private beach, but its a good place to go hang out.

We wanted to go there, but ran out of time....I have Destin penciled in for the future.

Miles
07-27-2006, 12:17 AM

The tow truck costs would be far too much.

badgirl
07-27-2006, 12:19 AM
We wanted to go there, but ran out of time....I have Destin penciled in for the future.
Destin is very beautiful, the whitest sand you'll ever see, the water is so clear you can see the bottom, thats why its known as emerald coast. I know you'll love it.

badgirl
07-27-2006, 12:20 AM
The tow truck costs would be far too much.
Well hey I tried.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 12:33 AM

1971 Dodge Challenger T/A convertible, v8, Shaker, 426 Hemi, Indy Heads, TT1 Exhaust,4 speed pistol grip, Dana 60 rear, Big Bars, Disc Brakes Front, 10,000 dollars obo.

These's cars can't be original with that sort of pricing. That first car is easily 100,000 cherry.

As far as the Chev, I don't know too much about them, but I'd assume a 65 Impala droptop would be more than that, not to mention I don't think they had 350s yet (think they only still made 327s). I know the Corvette didn't have 350s yet.

My pick would be the Challenger, but if you're planning to do more restoration, be prepared to shell out the big bucks. EVERYTHING to restore old Mopar is pricey. As far as the Impala, itmight be the same sort of stuff, but that engine will be easily 3 times cheaper to repair, modify, etc...

Moooo

badgirl
07-27-2006, 12:37 AM
These's cars can't be original with that sort of pricing. That first car is easily 100,000 cherry.

As far as the Chev, I don't know too much about them, but I'd assume a 65 Impala droptop would be more than that, not to mention I don't think they had 350s yet (think they only still made 327s)

Moooo
I quoted what the ad said, and because compared to some of the other cars similar to these are also in the book, but at a much higher price is what inspired me to talk to you guys about them. I agree the price is very low compared to the other ones.

Miles
07-27-2006, 12:40 AM

I think you are grossly overstating that price.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 12:49 AM
I think you are grossly overstating that price.

I guarantee you I'm not. I saw a 1970 Plymouth Superbird Hemi go for 175,000. Anything with a Hemi in it originally is Automatically 30,000.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/1/3/83392313.htm
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/1/0/83389610.htm
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/4/3/77572343.htm
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/0/6/82248606.htm
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/9/2/81768492.htm (this one is fake)
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/9/0/84862990.htm (this is an example of how much this stuff costs nowadays)

Moooo

badgirl
07-27-2006, 12:51 AM
The 350 engine only has 10,000 miles on it so I it evidentally isn't the engine that came in the car.

Miles
07-27-2006, 12:54 AM
I guarantee you I'm not. I saw a 1970 Plymouth Superbird Hemi go for 175,000. Anything with a Hemi in it originally is Automatically 30,000.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/1/3/83392313.htm
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/4/3/77572343.htm
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/0/6/82248606.htm
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/9/2/81768492.htm (this one is fake)
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/9/0/84862990.htm (this is an example of how much this stuff costs nowadays)

Moooo

I would have guessed around 35-40k for a nice fullly restored Challenger. Are those ones you listed ultra rare ones? As in only a handfull of them around? Have to say I am suprised at how much they are.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 12:55 AM
The 350 engine only has 10,000 miles on it so I it evidentally isn't the engine that came in the car.

Yeah, plus I really think CHevy only had a 327 in that year. I could have sworn the 350 wasn't until 67. But I could be very very wrong...

Nonetheless the parts will be cheaper, probably also non-driveline components as well.

Whatever you do, make sure you're getting what you pay for.

Moooo

badgirl
07-27-2006, 12:58 AM
Yeah, plus I really think CHevy only had a 327 in that year. I could have sworn the 350 wasn't until 67. But I could be very very wrong...

Nonetheless the parts will be cheaper, probably also non-driveline components as well.

Whatever you do, make sure you're getting what you pay for.

Moooo
See thats the problem I don't have a man to go with me to make sure I don't get screwed when I go, and I dont really know that much about them I'm the kind that would go "oH that is pretty and it runs!!!" I'll take it", My brother in law recently had surgery on his back and can't go for a long trip, so I guess I will hope for the best and I am leaning toward the Challenger.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 01:01 AM
I would have guessed around 30-40k for a nice fullly restored Challenger. Are those ones you listed ultra rare ones? As in only a handfull of them around? Have to say I am suprised at how much they are.

All big block Mopar is rare. In 1970 there were 4, (yes, FOUR) 426 Hemi 4speed Cudas in a droptop. One of them was on that show Nash Bridges (Don Johnson actuall owns it), and I believe its valued at upper 6 digits.

In the last 15 years the muscle car market had done nothing short of EXPLODED.

If I was the OP, I'd find a more common, less-muscley model and go with a small block.

This is what I want. Not saying this is what the OP should get, but I thought I'd just do a one post hijack.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/4/3/79587643.htm
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/0/3/84762703.htm or this one ideally...

Moooo

Moooo
07-27-2006, 01:05 AM
See thats the problem I don't have a man to go with me to make sure I don't get screwed when I go, and I dont really know that much about them I'm the kind that would go "oH that is pretty and it runs!!!" I'll take it", My brother in law recently had surgery on his back and can't go for a long trip, so I guess I will hope for the best and I am leaning toward the Challenger.

I wish I would help you out. You might want to wait a half a year, itwould be well worth it to make sure you're gonna get something you enjoy and also will keep for a long time.

You may very well find out a Hemi is way too much for you (I think it would be for me). Those things have a listed 425 horses and a lot of them are actually dynoed (tested) at over 500 at the engine. You may like one with a 318, which would be a lot cheaper and a lot more functional.

Moooo

Miles
07-27-2006, 01:08 AM
All big block Mopar is rare. In 1970 there were 4, (yes, FOUR) 426 Hemi 4speed Cudas in a droptop. One of them was on that show Nash Bridges (Don Johnson actuall owns it), and I believe its valued at upper 6 digits.

In the last 15 years the muscle car market had done nothing short of EXPLODED.

If I was the OP, I'd find a more common, less-muscley model and go with a small block.

This is what I want. Not saying this is what the OP should get, but I thought I'd just do a one post hijack.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/4/3/79587643.htm
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/0/3/84762703.htm or this one ideally...
Moooo

Interesting, I would have never guessed some of those were that rare. I always love checking out old muscle cars when I see them but my knowledge of them is pretty limited even though I am a big sports car type. I mostly follow more modern stuff.

badgirl
07-27-2006, 01:09 AM
I wish I would help you out. You might want to wait a half a year, itwould be well worth it to make sure you're gonna get something you enjoy and also will keep for a long time.

You may very well find out a Hemi is way too much for you (I think it would be for me). Those things have a listed 425 horses and a lot of them are actually dynoed (tested) at over 500 at the engine. You may like one with a 318, which would be a lot cheaper and a lot more functional.

Moooo
Yea that would be a lot of horsepower, but I did a model of a Challenger Convertible about 5 years ago and since then I have loved the bodystyle of the Challenger, I wouldn't be driving it everyday. I may wait like you suggested until I can get someone who knows something about what I am getting to go with me.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 01:12 AM
Interesting, I would have never guessed some of those were that rare. I always love checking out old muscle cars when I see them but my knowledge of them is pretty limited even though I am a big sports car type. I mostly follow more modern stuff.

Yep. They're antiques now.

And with the people wanting to relive their childhood getting older, and wealthier, they'll only go farther and farther up.

Moooo

Moooo
07-27-2006, 01:13 AM
Yea that would be a lot of horsepower, but I did a model of a Challenger Convertible about 5 years ago and since then I have loved the bodystyle of the Challenger, I wouldn't be driving it everyday. I may wait like you suggested until I can get someone who knows something about what I am getting to go with me.

Look at Plymouth Barracudas too. I don't know if you knew that, but they're VERY similar, and the 70 and 71s in bother are fairly similar (I think sheetmetal is exactly the same).

Moooo

Miles
07-27-2006, 01:15 AM

With a purchase like that it would be worth the wait. I research the hell out cars when I am looking and its not nearly as complicated as buying something like a classic.

Halfcan
07-27-2006, 01:17 AM

I always deliver the goods, especially to a Bad Girl!

badgirl
07-27-2006, 01:21 AM
With a purchase like that it would be worth the wait. I research the hell out cars when I am looking and its not nearly as complicated as buying something like a classic.
I'm afraid if I pass up the challenger at this price it will surely be gone quick if its the real deal, but on the other hand I am afraid to buy something that isn't worth the money. I am better to wait I am sure something else will come along when I can get someone to go with me.

Good advice and info guys, thanks.

Good Night, time for me to go to bed, not that I can sleep, but I am going to read and hope for sleep anyway. :)

PastorMikH
07-27-2006, 06:38 AM
Badgirl,

Luz

426 was THE Hemi. And yes, Dodge did make them. If I remember correctly, Richard Petty used to race with one until it was banned because the fords and chevys couldn't keep up with it. It was probably the baddest motor Dodge ever built.

HemiEd, you have any more info?

Al Bundy
07-27-2006, 06:39 AM
Personally, I would go for the Impala SS.

Brock
07-27-2006, 07:02 AM
I'd be very suspicious about the price on that Challenger.

HemiEd
07-27-2006, 07:08 AM

1) They did not make a 71 TA, 70 only. They were all 340 6pak.
2) They did not make a TA convertible
3) The Hemi alone would be worth around 13k
4) Any Challenger convertible is worth at least double the price you state.
4) The Shaker hood and parts are worth about half the asking price for the car.

HemiEd
07-27-2006, 07:24 AM
Badgirl,

Luz

383s and 440s were both wedges, the RB motor. The second Generation Hemi that was released for racing in 64 and the 66-72 Street Hemi was a 426.

Radar Chief
07-27-2006, 07:28 AM
1) They did not make a 71 TA, 70 only. They were all 340 6pak.
2) They did not make a TA convertible
3) The Hemi alone would be worth around 13k
4) Any Challenger convertible is worth at least double the price you state.
4) The Shaker hood and parts are worth about half the asking price for the car.

Did any ofem ever come with a Dana 60 rear?
The way shes described it, it sounds like a weekend bracket racer.

HemiEd
07-27-2006, 07:32 AM
Did any ofem ever come with a Dana 60 rear?
The way shes described it, it sounds like a weekend bracket racer.

All of the 4sp 426/440 cars did standard. You could also order the "Super Trak Pak" option that included the Dana 60. I had a 440/4spd 69 GTX that came with it. They only had two gear ratio options with the Dana 60. 3:54 and 4:10

Radar Chief
07-27-2006, 07:50 AM
All of the 4sp 426/440 cars did standard. You could also order the "Super Trak Pak" option that included the Dana 60. I had a 440/4spd 69 GTX that came with it. They only had two gear ratio options with the Dana 60. 3:54 and 4:10

Thanks HemiEd. :thumb:
Cheby just used 10 bolts most of their muscle cars, thats all my uncles Chevelle has even though it came with the 396 BB. :shake:

HemiEd
07-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks HemiEd. :thumb:
Cheby just used 10 bolts most of their muscle cars, thats all my uncles Chevelle has even though it came with the 396 BB. :shake:

Anytime Radar, my head is full of this junk. When did the 12 bolt Chevy Rear End appear? Pretty strong unit, lighter than the Ford 9 inch and much lighter than the Dana 60.
Strange has made a Chevy 12 bolt "pumpkin" out of aluminum that will fit in the 9 inch ford housing.

Baby Lee
07-27-2006, 08:06 AM
Anytime Radar, my head is full of this junk. When did the 12 bolt Chevy Rear End appear? Pretty strong unit, lighter than the Ford 9 inch and much lighter than the Dana 60.
Strange has made a Chevy 12 bolt "pumpkin" out of aluminum that will fit in the 9 inch ford housing.
My dad's 69 Nova SS has the LT1 and the 12 bolt rear, both OEM.

HemiEd
07-27-2006, 08:08 AM
My dad's 69 Nova SS has the LT1 and the 12 bolt rear, both OEM.

Sounds like a nice car. 4 speed?

Baby Lee
07-27-2006, 08:10 AM
Sounds like a nice car. 4 speed?
Automatic. Forgot to add, the 12 bolt is Posi-track as well.

Nice car, but he still grins ruefully thinking about the loaded 69 Z-28 next to it on the lot for $500 more.

Also, "re: sounds like a nice car" - don't want to overstate the condition, as the engine is blueprinted, but still sits on the engine stand. The fenders hood and bumpers are in the attic, the rally rims are stored awaiting new rubber. Basically, it's a resto in waiting, probably when he retires.

Radar Chief
07-27-2006, 08:15 AM

Not sure when it was introduced, so I did a quick search and found this side by side comparison of a 12 bolt vs. 9.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/0304_nine/

Personal opinion, but between the two Id stick with the 9. Just for reference though, I dont care much for most Corporate Axles, cept the 14 bolt. The Big 14 bolt is a monster axle with more torque handling capability than even a Dana 60.

HemiEd
07-27-2006, 08:19 AM

Nice car, but he still grins ruefully thinking about the loaded 69 Z-28 next to it on the lot for $500 more.

Also, "re: sounds like a nice car" - don't want to overstate the condition, as the engine is blueprinted, but still sits on the engine stand. The fenders hood and bumpers are in the attic, the rally rims are stored awaiting new rubber. Basically, it's a resto in waiting, probably when he retires.

I heard there are now more 69 z 28s than they ever made. Lots of clones out there. A lot of us have regrets about these cars now that the values are absurd. I sold my 68 Hemi RR for 56k in 2003, a very similar car, but not as nice or well documented sold for 165k this last year.

Radar Chief
07-27-2006, 08:19 AM

That sounds like a lot of fun to me. :thumb:

Fish
07-27-2006, 08:24 AM

It sounds like you might have left out a 0 on the price on this one. No way in hell this deal is for real. No f'n way in hell.

And from what I can tell, you know nothing about classic cars and just want one because it looks cool... Going into this type of thing with no experience, a gleam in your eye, and a handful of cash is a bad bad idea. A 40 yr old muscle car needs constant maintenance to keep it in great working condition. It's not like a damn Ford Taurus that you change the oil every so often and be good to go. There is a reason that most great classic muscle cars are owned by mechanics or car lovers who are very familiar with the inner workings of the big block engines. If you don't know anything about them or how they work, you have no business owning one.

It's your money, so feel free to pick out the purtiest one... But I've seen this situation happen before, and the common outcome is it ends up parked in the garage for the next 5 yrs because the inexperienced owner can't keep it running....

Just my $0.02.....

Demonpenz
07-27-2006, 08:24 AM
69 mustang mach 1.

Soupnazi
07-27-2006, 08:26 AM
For $10 grand, there's no way that's an original 426 hemi car. Indy cylinder heads didn't come original on a 426 either. If it actually is a 426, it's a crate motor that has after market Indy heads on it.

Not necessarily a bad thing, just don't buy it thinking it's an original build 426 hemi.

HemiEd
Not sure when it was introduced, so I did a quick search and found this side by side comparison of a 12 bolt vs. 9.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/0304_nine/

Personal opinion, but between the two Id stick with the 9. Just for reference though, I dont care much for most Corporate Axles, cept the 14 bolt. The Big 14 bolt is a monster axle with more torque handling capability than even a Dana 60.

I like the "drop out" third members myself. 8 3/4 mopar and 9 inch. I used to have a Dana 60 in my drag car, lots of weight but strong.

Fish
69 mustang mach 1.

.....ohhh wow....

Demonpenz
07-27-2006, 08:27 AM
One muscle car that there seems to be plenty of and I think would be the easiest to maintain would be a late 60's camero with your standard 350 small block. Plenty of them still rolling around. The rearest i think being the z/28 of them. I still see those camero's at the drag strip and at car shows. I always think of that camero in "Better off dead" Hideaway headlights with bo diddly playing

Baby Lee
07-27-2006, 08:40 AM
One muscle car that there seems to be plenty of and I think would be the easiest to maintain would be a late 60's camero with your standard 350 small block. Plenty of them still rolling around. The rearest i think being the z/28 of them. I still see those camero's at the drag strip and at car shows. I always think of that camero in "Better off dead" Hideaway headlights with bo diddly playing
ROFL - even got the camerohead spelling right!!

StcChief
07-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Only in FL car should rust free. Depending on distance to
the ocean the Salt mix in the water/air can be factor.
It is in California. Folks close to beach cover their cars
or garage them.

svuba
07-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Does anybody know why the challangers on Ebay that look decent range in price from $26,000 to $225,000?

$10,000 seems to be very cheap, unless I am looking at the wrong thing:

ebay (http://motors.search.ebay.com/challenger_Cars-Trucks_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300QQsacatZ6001)eBay challangers (http://motors.search.ebay.com/challenger_Cars-Trucks_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300QQsacatZ6001)

Here is a nice one for $50,000, not a convertible or a Hemi though:

SUBLIME (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Dodge-Challenger-T-A_W0QQitemZ200011155692QQihZ010QQcategoryZ6198QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Moooo
07-27-2006, 12:32 PM
383s and 440s were both wedges, the RB motor. The second Generation Hemi that was released for racing in 64 and the 66-72 Street Hemi was a 426.

There was also a 392 Hemi, but that was super old school, and you wouldn't find it in any sort of muscle car.

Moooo

Frosty
07-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Personally, I think badgirl ought to just take that 10 grand and put it down on a new Mustang. Classic muscle cars are high maintenance and you can easily get screwed buying one, if you don't know what to look for.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Personally, I think badgirl ought to just take that 10 grand and put it down on a new Mustang. Classic muscle cars are high maintenance and you can easily get screwed buying one, if you don't know what to look for.

I'd actually go along with this. They're much more refined, come with a warranty, are fast, and are still very cool looking.

But, they're no vintage muscle car...

Moooo

Edited to add, Dodge is coming out with a new challenger that looks a LOT like the ones she likes.

burt
07-27-2006, 01:13 PM
I'd actually go along with this. They're much more refined, come with a warranty, are fast, and are still very cool looking.

But, they're no vintage muscle car...

Moooo

Edited to add, Dodge is coming out with a new challenger that looks a LOT like the ones she likes.

Let's rememeber, she is looking for a weekend driver. So she buys a clone...so what...it's not an investment opportunity for her. I will say it may be a clon...the numbers won't match, but if it is a decent restoration....runs fair...she should be okay...SHE'S LOOKING FOR A WEEK END RUNNER......

Moooo
07-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Let's rememeber, she is looking for a weekend driver. So she buys a clone...so what...it's not an investment opportunity for her. I will say it may be a clon...the numbers won't match, but if it is a decent restoration....runs fair...she should be okay...SHE'S LOOKING FOR A WEEK END RUNNER......

Then she doesn't need a vehicle with well over 400 horsepower.

Like I said about 30+ posts ago, she needs to get one with a 318, or better yet, go with a Chevy, something that is cheaper so she can get something quality without sacrificing fun. I'm not a Chevy guy, but Mopar is worth its weight in gold cause its so rare.

Moooo

Rain Man
07-27-2006, 01:39 PM
69 mustang mach 1.

Oh yeah. If you can't buy a Boss Mustang, a Mach I will work just fine.

I drove a 1972 Mach I for a while, and though that body style was much less popular, I really liked that car. Great instrument panel.

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/images/carpics/STL/3450/3450.jpg

Radar Chief
07-27-2006, 01:41 PM

Agreed, but lets also remember that shes implied a complete lack of any mechanical know how. As such, Id think the Hemi with aftermarket heads, exhaust, and Id assume cam, carb, intake and headers, probably isnt the best choice for someone that wants a rig they can just jump in, have fun and look good don it.
Of the two she mentioned, the Impala with the comparatively stock SBC power plant is probably the better choice from a maintenance stand point.

Baby Lee
07-27-2006, 01:43 PM
If it's the sound of a muscle car you want, Pontiac put a bundle into tuning the new GTO's exhaust note to mirror the classic.

REDHOTGTO
07-27-2006, 03:06 PM
first off 426 hemi is correct, 440 hemi is not a engine. buy the dodge, the motor alone is worth more than the asking price! no matter the condition buy the dodge. if it is a correct motor for the car all the better but i doubt it for anywhere close to that price.
second, if you dont want it let me know where it is i will buy it,ok?

hope this helps

HemiEd
07-27-2006, 03:30 PM
first off 426 hemi is correct, 440 hemi is not a engine. buy the dodge, the motor alone is worth more than the asking price! no matter the condition buy the dodge. if it is a correct motor for the car all the better but i doubt it for anywhere close to that price.
second, if you dont want it let me know where it is i will buy it,ok?

hope this helps

I would love to see a link to the add and check it out myself. The outragous prices have brought a lot of crooks into the hobby lately.
I just read in one of my recent Mopar Muscle Car mags about a pretty ugly incident. The low price for this Challenger, clone or not, makes me suspicous of a similar scam.
A noted collector had seen an add for a Hemi Cuda at only $25,000. He called and made the trip to get the car with his trailer in tow. The add had said cash only. Well it turned out to be a mugging, set up to steal the cash and no car existed.
The car that Bad Girl is talking about has close to a $80k in just parts, too good to be true.

HemiEd
07-27-2006, 03:37 PM
There was also a 392 Hemi, but that was super old school, and you wouldn't find it in any sort of muscle car.

Moooo

That is why I said second generation, the original 1951 v8 from Chrysler was a Hemi. It started out very small, 221 I think, and grew to 392 by 1957. 1958 was the last year for the first gen Hemi (distributor in the rear). The 426 second Generation hemi evolved from the RB motor with the distributor in the front. The only differences in a 426 Hemi block and the 413/426/440 blocks are the motor mounts, side bolt mains and a row of bosses above the cyls to accept another row of head bolts for the larger heads.

burt
07-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Then she doesn't need a vehicle with well over 400 horsepower.

Like I said about 30+ posts ago, she needs to get one with a 318, or better yet, go with a Chevy, something that is cheaper so she can get something quality without sacrificing fun. I'm not a Chevy guy, but Mopar is worth its weight in gold cause its so rare.

Moooo

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=144366&page=1&pp=15 :)

Moooo
07-27-2006, 04:04 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=144366&page=1&pp=15 :)

Its just a link to the thread... ?

Moooo

burt
07-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Its just a link to the thread... ?

Moooo

Here....

Today, 12:35 AM
Post #3

Dale Mercer
aka warpaintrides
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by badgirl

1971 Dodge Challenger T/A, v8, Shaker, 426 Hemi, Indy Heads, TT1 Exhaust,4 speed pistol grip, Dana 60 rear, Big Bars, Disc Brakes Front, 10,000 dollars obo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moooo
07-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Here....

Today, 12:35 AM
Post #3

Dale Mercer
aka warpaintrides
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgirl

I'm not following your point... Both of these cars will cost way too much to keep up with. She'd be better off getting something with less power (and an engine that actually came in the car in the first place, original or not). Get a 318, 289/302, or 327/350 (In a car it came in).

Or, a slant 6 would be ideal for her. Those 225s are bulletproof. My friend tried blow his up (don't ask why), and gave up after having the gas floored for 5 minutes.

Moooo

Dave Lane
07-27-2006, 04:29 PM

Got to like a Challenger ragtop with a 426 hemi. $10k seems cheap if original

Dave

badgirl
07-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Got to like a Challenger ragtop with a 426 hemi. $10k seems cheap if original

Dave
Well I called the guy today and he informed me the Challenger is original, but they misprinted the price....it is in fact 100,000 not 10,000 so I guess that decides for me. The impala looks a whole lot better all of a sudden.

HemiEd
07-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Well I called the guy today and he informed me the Challenger is original, but they misprinted the price....it is in fact 100,000 not 10,000 so I guess that decides for me. The impala looks a whole lot better all of a sudden.

I call Bullshit. I repeat, they did not make a 71 TA, or a TA Convertible. All 70 (the only year of the TA) TAs came with a 340 6pak small block.

Here is some information on the Trans Am Challenger. http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=2321

Rain Man
07-27-2006, 08:04 PM
C'mon, splurge a little. Go with the $100k car.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 08:13 PM
I call Bullshit. I repeat, they did not make a 71 TA, or a TA Convertible. All 70 (the only year of the TA) TAs came with a 340 6pak small block.

Here is some information on the Trans Am Challenger. http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=2321

Those 340s were wicked, though. That's my kind of car, well over 300 horses out of a small block.

You're gonna laugh, but I always wanted a Dart GTS with a 340. Weird, yet classic, powerful and cool (IMO).

Moooo

burt
07-27-2006, 08:19 PM
Those 340s were wicked, though. That's my kind of car, well over 300 horses out of a small block.

You're gonna laugh, but I always wanted a Dart GTS with a 340. Weird, yet classic, powerful and cool (IMO).

Moooo

Rep, I am with you.....

HemiEd
07-27-2006, 08:25 PM

Moooo

I am not going to laugh, I love 340s. The 340 was very efficient performance, only made it 5 years. I have two of them right now. They are for my 68 Barracuda . One is pretty stock and the one in the car right now is stroked (.200) and bored. H Beam rods, 500 gram Wiseco pistons, Roller rockers etc etc. :D

Moooo
07-27-2006, 08:30 PM
I am not going to laugh, I love 340s. The 340 was very efficient performance, only made it 5 years. I have two of them right now. They are for my 68 Barracuda . One is pretty stock and the one in the car right now is stroked (.200) and bored. H Beam rods, 500 gram Wiseco pistons, Roller rockers etc etc. :D

Cool. I'm more of a classic car guy than a muscle car guy, but I can appreciate a tricked out engine, as long as the original or something close to it is in storage :)

I guess that's why I like the Polara also... I'm weird like that. If I could have one car from the late 60s early 70s with no value associated it would be a 66 Fairlane... And I'd only want a 289 (I'm a small-block nut).

Moooo

burt
07-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Cool. I'm more of a classic car guy than a muscle car guy, but I can appreciate a tricked out engine, as long as the original or something close to it is in storage :)

I guess that's why I like the Polara also... I'm weird like that. If I could have one car from the late 60s early 70s with no value associated it would be a 66 Fairlane... And I'd only want a 289 (I'm a small-block nut).

Moooo

I had a Polara...can't remember the year. 440 Police Interceptor, with a push button transmission. It got me into lots of trouble.

HemiEd
07-27-2006, 08:42 PM

Moooo

Small blocks in small cars (by yesterdays standards, they are big now) have always been a lot of fun. Your choice the A-Body Dart with the 340 is a good one.
My Grandmother bought a 66 Fairlane new with a 289, ran pretty good.

HemiEd
07-27-2006, 08:45 PM
I had a Polara...can't remember the year. 440 Police Interceptor, with a push button transmission. It got me into lots of trouble.

That was a very rare Polara, Push buttons stopped after 64 and the 440 was introduced in 67. :eek:

Moooo
07-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Small blocks in small cars (by yesterdays standards, they are big now) have always been a lot of fun. Your choice the A-Body Dart with the 340 is a good one.
My Grandmother bought a 66 Fairlane new with a 289, ran pretty good.

I'll assume the Grandma thing isn't a slam, at least it didn't sound like it was supposed to be one.

I just look for beauty in places most people don't bother looking. I owned a rusty (all surface rust, no cancer) 289 fourdoor. And unfortunately, at 16 I didn't have the money to do what I wanted to with it. So I vowed I would get another one when I can do something with it, except this time with a floor standard (instead of a 3 on the tree), and a 2door. I don't even want the 390 GT, just a 289 again. And I want it to be seafoam green again (yeah, I know).

As far as Mopar, I'd take a Duster 340 also... Though I doubt its a 340, like the one the guy in your avatar drives (except cleaner, lol).

Moooo

HemiEd
07-27-2006, 08:52 PM
I'll assume the Grandma thing isn't a slam, at least it didn't sound like it was supposed to be one.

I just look for beauty in places most people don't bother looking. I owned a rusty (all surface rust, no cancer) 289 fourdoor. And unfortunately, at 16 I didn't have the money to do what I wanted to with it. So I vowed I would get another one when I can do something with it, except this time with a floor standard (instead of a 3 on the tree), and a 2door. I don't even want the 390 GT, just a 289 again. And I want it to be seafoam green again (yeah, I know).

As far as Mopar, I'd take a Duster 340 also... Though I doubt its a 340, like the one the guy in your avatar drives (except cleaner, lol).

Moooo

No slam intended at all. It was my only personal experience with a 66/289 Fairlane. Hers was green as well, kind of a light metallic green.
I did have a 340 Panther Pink 70 Duster for a while, wish I had it back.

badgirl
07-27-2006, 09:17 PM

Well I didn't confirm if it was in fact the 71 as listed, if they listed the price wrong they may have possibly listed the year wrong. When I heard 100 grand I didn't have much else to say.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Well I didn't confirm if it was in fact the 71 as listed, if they listed the price wrong the may have possibly also listed the year wrong. When I heard 100 grand I didn't have much else to say.

LOL, that'd shy me off too... For that I'd get a Porsche and the women that come with it.

Really, I have no bearing telling you what to do, but the vehicles you are going after are so high demand, you might run into problems finding one in solid condition for 10k. If you do, I'll shut up, but if I was in your shoes I'd look around at A WHOLE BUNCH of classic cars of all shapes and sizes, and then see if something that isn't as hot of a commodity can be found real cherry for the same price.

For example, and this is not a reccomendation but my personal choice, I have always been a fan of a Datsun 1600/2000 roadster, of which you can easily find a nice one for 6k. Once again, I'm not saying you should get that, but at the same time, perhaps looking around you might find a different car that isn't so untouchable.

If you don't want advice, tell me to shut up.

Moooo

Logical
07-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Badgirl,

Luz
i'd be curious to know if they made a 426...Yup Luz they did. You can Google it using

Challenger 426 Hemi

badgirl
07-27-2006, 09:30 PM
LOL, that'd shy me off too... For that I'd get a Porsche and the women that come with it.

Really, I have no bearing telling you what to do, but the vehicles you are going after are so high demand, you might run into problems finding one in solid condition for 10k. If you do, I'll shut up, but if I was in your shoes I'd look around at A WHOLE BUNCH of classic cars of all shapes and sizes, and then see if something that isn't as hot of a commodity can be found real cherry for the same price.

For example, and this is not a reccomendation but my personal choice, I have always been a fan of a Datsun 1600/2000 roadster, of which you can easily find a nice one for 6k. Once again, I'm not saying you should get that, but at the same time, perhaps looking around you might find a different car that isn't so untouchable.

If you don't want advice, tell me to shut up.

Moooo
I'm a woman who knows if I like something, but buying a muscle car isn't something I am too educated on, so I appreciate your advice and info throughout the posts. I think I will hold off and look around more and it will give me more time to have more money to put with what I have to buy the right one. I'll let you guys know when I found it and what it is and I'll even post a pic when the day comes and get your opinions. Well I'll actually get your advice before I buy it and after I buy it.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm a woman who knows if I like something, but buying a muscle car isn't something I am too educated on, so I appreciate your advice and info throughout the posts. I think I will hold off and look around more and it will give me more time to have more money to put with what I have to buy the right one. I'll let you guys know when I found it and what it is and I'll even post a pic when the day comes and get your opinions. Well I'll actually get your advice before I buy it and after I buy it.

If you're not into looks, one of those 225 Barracudas would be right up your alley. A LOT cheaper than some T/A or Hemi will be.

Moooo

badgirl
07-27-2006, 09:37 PM
If you're not into looks, one of those 225 Barracudas would be right up your alley. A LOT cheaper than some T/A or Hemi will be.

Moooo
Thats the problem I am into looks and originality, and speed, gotta find the one with all of these qualities.

But price has to be right. I know, just keeeeeeep on looking right?

Moooo
07-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Thats the problem I am into looks and originality, and speed, gotta find the one with all of these qualities.

But price has to be right. I know, just keeeeeeep on looking right?

Yep. Speed costs... a lot.

But that's not to say its not out there. I'm a strong believer theres a right car for everyone.

If originality is a key, you might wanna check about that 350 in the Impala. I'd swear that year they had 327s instead. I could be wrong.

Moooo

badgirl
07-27-2006, 09:47 PM

But that's not to say its not out there. I'm a strong believer theres a right car for everyone.

If originality is a key, you might wanna check about that 350 in the Impala. I'd swear that year they had 327s instead. I could be wrong.

Moooo
As wrong as the other ad was I wouldn't be surprised if that one isn't also wrong, I couldn't get ahold of the guy about the Impala, but I left a message earlier and he didn't call me back, it may already be gone.

Hydrae
07-27-2006, 09:55 PM

Moooo

It has been many years since I hung out with my gear head friends but I believe you are correct on the engine size.

We were much more into the Mopars but Ed has taken care of that with much more knowledge that I could have brought to the table. But even without looking it up I could have agreed with him about the TA only being a 340. That was part of the concept of the car, they had to produce a certain number for it to be a "stock" car in certain racing circles and the TransAm series was always about small, high revving engines. A big block would not have worked in that situation, they are too heavy and take too long to accelerate coming out of the corners.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 09:58 PM
It has been many years since I hung out with my gear head friends but I believe you are correct on the engine size.

We were much more into the Mopars but Ed has taken care of that with much more knowledge that I could have brought to the table. But even without looking it up I could have agreed with him about the TA only being a 340. That was part of the concept of the car, they had to produce a certain number for it to be a "stock" car in certain racing circles and the TransAm series was always about small, high revving engines. A big block would not have worked in that situation, they are too heavy and take too long to accelerate coming out of the corners.

This was the same principle behind the Z-28 302. Those are some wicked engines...

Moooo

Manila-Chief
07-27-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm actually south of Mobile in a small town called Theodore, Mobile isn't far at all though

You are back in Bama? Last I heard you were selling cars up in N.E. Tenn. That is why I clicked on this thread.

I think we are scheduled to be down in Washington County for a mission conference next year???? I'd love to be in the Mobile area but ... must live close enough for my wife to take care of her mother ... and of course grandkids. :-) Enjoy South Bama

badgirl
07-27-2006, 11:12 PM
You are back in Bama? Last I heard you were selling cars up in N.E. Tenn. That is why I clicked on this thread.

I think we are scheduled to be down in Washington County for a mission conference next year???? I'd love to be in the Mobile area but ... must live close enough for my wife to take care of her mother ... and of course grandkids. :-) Enjoy South Bama
I hadn't lived in TN for 8 years when I went back and I realized I should have never tried to move home, it was a waste of time. I hated it there and it reminded me of why I left to start with.

Although I made some good money in car sales, I have went back into the medical field.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 11:14 PM
I hadn't lived in TN for 8 years when I went back and I realized I should have never tried to move home, it was a waste of time. I hated it there and it reminded me of why I left to start with.

So are you near Gulf Shores? My ex-boss' parents lived in some huge house there. They moved back to MO whenever the hurricane happened

badgirl
07-27-2006, 11:14 PM
So are you near Gulf Shores? My ex-boss' parents lived in some huge house there. They moved back to MO whenever the hurricane happened
I live about 45 min from gulf shores.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 11:15 PM
I live about 45 min from gulf shores.

Cool... That's a nice place.

Moooo

badgirl
07-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Cool... That's a nice place.

Moooo
Very nice, I went to Key West last november and I actually like the beaches of the gulf as much or more than the beaches on the east coast or even the Keys, although they were beautiful. In a couple of hours you can be in Pensecola Beach, Orange Beach, Ft. Walton Beach, Destin, Gulf Shores, or Dauphin Island. They are all very nice and within a resonable drive from me.

Al Bundy
07-28-2006, 06:33 AM

Moooo

I have looked all over, and the 2 engines I keep coming up with for the Impala's from that year are either the 396 or the 409. I don't ever see any 327's listed with those cars.
Ended ebay auction listing (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-Impala-SS-396-325hp-Numbers-matching_W0QQitemZ170008028844QQihZ007QQcategoryZ6169QQcmdZViewItem)

HemiEd
07-28-2006, 06:40 AM
I have looked all over, and the 2 engines I keep coming up with for the Impala's from that year are either the 396 or the 409. I don't ever see any 327's listed with those cars.
Ended ebay auction listing (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-Impala-SS-396-325hp-Numbers-matching_W0QQitemZ170008028844QQihZ007QQcategoryZ6169QQcmdZViewItem)

They had 327s, very common. The 396 replaced the 409, both are Big Blocks. 64 was last year for the 409 IIRC and 396 started in 65, but we are talking Chevies, so there are probably some details I have missed.

Al Bundy
07-28-2006, 06:54 AM
They had 327s, very common. The 396 replaced the 409, both are Big Blocks. 64 was last year for the 409 IIRC and 396 started in 65, but we are talking Chevies, so there are probably some details I have missed.

Hmm are you sure about that?
Another link (http://www.superchevy-web.com/features/0208sc_1965_impala_ss/)

Al Bundy
07-28-2006, 06:57 AM
This one shows that the 327 was an option but not the only option on those SS'.
Other Engines (http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/chevrolet-impala/chevrolet-impala-history-1.shtml)

HemiEd
07-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Hmm are you sure about that?
Another link (http://www.superchevy-web.com/features/0208sc_1965_impala_ss/)

Which part? the small block or big block? 65 was the year they introduced the 396, I know that for sure. Was it the exclusive big block, no since they were phasing out the 409. As I said, we are talking Chevies. There were actually a few 396 Chevelles in 65. I pumped gas in a lot of new 65 Impalas with 327s and 396s.