PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Kennison prepared to hold out, may leave camp

Pages : [1] 2 3

tk13
07-27-2006, 02:12 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/15131057.htm

New deal wanted
Chiefs’ Kennison unhappy with contract and indicates he may leave camp if he can’t get raise or his release.

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Halfway through a six-year contract he signed in 2003, the Chiefs’ Eddie Kennison might have been able to live with the terms of the deal scheduled to pay him $2.1 million this season.

But offseason research by his agent, John Hamilton, showed Kennison to have the 45th-highest 2006 salary among the NFL’s 64 starting wide receivers. One of Kennison’s closest peers in terms of age and recent performance, Dallas’ Terry Glenn, recently received a lucrative contract extension.

Closer to home, the Chiefs just signed free-agent cornerback Ty Law to a five-year, $30 million deal.

Suddenly, Kennison’s contract isn’t as attractive, and this week he decided to do something about it.

Kennison said he would report to training camp with the Chiefs in time for the first practice Friday at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls. But he also indicated he might leave camp at some point if the Chiefs don’t either give him a new contract with a raise or release him.

“I will cross that bridge when I get to it,” Kennison said. “I will go to camp and work as hard as I’ve been working. I won’t have any bitter or sour attitudes in camp. …

“But when I signed my last contract with the Chiefs, I think we all know that if I hadn’t performed to expectations, I wouldn’t be here anymore. Well, I played beyond those expectations. Now it’s time for them to step up and compensate me for my performance compared to the guys in my peer group.

“I would hope the Chiefs would put me on waivers if they don’t want to step to the plate.”

The loss of Kennison would be a huge blow to the Chiefs. Kennison, who had more than 1,000 receiving yards in each of the last two seasons, is their only established wide receiver.

Samie Parker, the other starter, has shown promise — but between injuries and inconsistencies he hasn’t put together a full season. The other receivers are Dante Hall, whose value to the Chiefs has been as a kick-returner, and a collection of unproven younger players.

Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson did not respond to a request to answer questions on Kennison’s situation.

Kennison, who joined the Chiefs in 2001, is quietly becoming one of the franchise’s all-time receiving leaders. He ranks in the top 10 in virtually every major career receiving category. Only Kennison and Carlos Carson have put together back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons.

Kennison received about $6.6 million, including a signing bonus of $3.2 million, in the first three years of his current contract.

“The problem is that when Eddie signed that contract, the Chiefs had already paid Johnnie Morton to be their No. 1 receiver,” Hamilton said. “Eddie’s contract was not set up for him to be the No. 1 guy. It was set up for him to be the No. 2 guy. That deal is OK but not great with respect to a No. 2 receiver, but not a No. 1 receiver.”

Morton, a big-money free-agent addition in 2002, flopped and was released last year. Meanwhile, Kennison not only outplayed Morton, but his contract figures are being blown away in the current market.

For example, two players with inferior statistics to Kennison recently received exorbitant free-agent contracts. New England’s David Givens signed with Tennessee for $15.3 million over the next three seasons while Pittsburgh’s Antwaan Randle El signed with Washington for $11.2 million over the next two.

Kennison’s current contract calls for him to receive about $4.8 million over the next two seasons and $8.2 million over the next three. Kennison last season had more catches (68), yards (1,102) and touchdowns (five) than either Givens or Randle El.

“We can’t ignore what the marketplace has done,” Hamilton said.

The Chiefs might be hesitant to give big money to a 33-year-old wide receiver. If that’s their stance, it’s understandable. Kennison is at an age when players at his position tend to lose their skills rapidly.

“That is what they’ve told me is their concern,” Hamilton said. “But there are ways to give them some protection in case Eddie’s production falls way off.”

The Chiefs’ signing of the 32-year-old Law added to Kennison’s frustration

“I know Ty Law,” he said. “He’s a friend, and I’m excited he’s here. But, yeah, it’s a source of frustration. When you’ve been a part of an organization for some time, I think those guys in that organization need to be taken care of first.”

Kennison and Hamilton first contacted the Chiefs in the spring. Talks have been ongoing but fruitless.

Kennison initially thought about not reporting for camp. After discussions with his wife, Shimika, and Hamilton, Kennison decided against it.

His decision to report doesn’t necessarily mean he’s in it for the long haul.

“I have a responsibility to this organization and the 53 guys I dress with, so it came up quickly that I was not going to miss camp,” Kennison said. “I’m not a selfish, flashy kind of guy. I just want the world to know what’s going on with my situation.

“I love being a Kansas City Chief. I want to be here for the rest of my career. The Chiefs have not said they won’t take care of me. Carl has indicated to my agent they are willing to do something. We just need to get to a point where both parties are happy. Obviously, we’re not to that point yet, and I don’t think we’re even close.”

Guru
07-27-2006, 02:13 AM
Damnit Eddie!!!! Wait until the start of training camp to pull this crap.

Mecca
07-27-2006, 02:15 AM
He's 33..........I just love this we make moves to prepare to go for it and Eddie Kennison of all people could **** it up. I guess that's what we get for not addressing the WR position at all for several years. He holds leverage.......even though paying a 33 year old WR very much money would be pretty stupid.

SNR
07-27-2006, 02:16 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but this is total news to me.

Donks fans will be here any moment now to say things like "We told you so" and shit

Guru
So much for a quiet start to TC. Carl gets to have his hard core drama now.

OnTheWarpath58

Yep. And at a position we're already thin at. Guess the silver lining is that the young guys will get more reps.

Yippie.

Why couldn't this have been Sims?

SNR
07-27-2006, 02:18 AM
Kennison knows it's him and a bunch of young guys. It's smart of him to do the hold out now.

Selfish? Very. Assholish? Extremely. Smart? Yes.

Miles
07-27-2006, 02:18 AM
Really hope this doesn't become a problem but I had the impression we signed him under market for his current contract. He really is our only WR that has proven shit and he is getting to be that age where there are not exactly more big contracts in his future.

Mecca
07-27-2006, 02:19 AM
For his little part about "Randle El and Givens make more money while being less productive". Let's take a couple things into account. Both those WR's played on teams where they weren't 1's, they got that money because they are young players entering their primes.

Kennison may have been more productive but those 2 have upside he no longer has. He's much older and by NFL standards is no longer an ascending player. Doesn't he realize once you're past 30 in the NFL you don't get paid anymore unless you are an elite player?

Moooo
07-27-2006, 02:19 AM
He's worth 3. He's our starting WR, and has 2 back to back 1000 yard seasons.

Moooo

Mecca
07-27-2006, 02:20 AM
He's worth 3. He's our starting WR, and has 2 back to back 1000 yard seasons.

Moooo

He's also a 33 year old WR.......odds are he's done in 2-3 years.

OnTheWarpath58
07-27-2006, 02:21 AM
Kennison knows it's him and a bunch of young guys. It's smart of him to do the hold out now.

Selfish? Very. Assholish? Extremely. Smart? Yes.

Agreed.

But if he thinks he's gonna get the money Richie Rich paid Randle El, he's gonna be very disappointed..........

Moooo
07-27-2006, 02:21 AM
He's also a 33 year old WR.......odds are he's done in 2-3 years.

Then front load the contract. He's still worth 3 to us this year.

Moooo

Mecca
07-27-2006, 02:24 AM
Then front load the contract. He's still worth 3 to us this year.

Moooo

I think we're pretty much on the cap now after the Law deal so front loading the contract won't work......

58-4ever
07-27-2006, 02:26 AM
It is shitty for him to pull this now.

Law's new contract must have gotten under his skin a bit.

philfree
IMO Eddie deserves a raise. He's earned it and when was the last time we a WR who had over a 1000 yards recieving for two years in a row. We should be able to do this and maybe even save cap room this year. Actually I would expect that. This shouldn't be a problem.......I hope this isn't a problem.

PhilFree:arrow:

The Dude Abides
Damn right! Thats messed up, possibly worst timing of all, besides Sept 9 I guess.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 02:27 AM
I think we're pretty much on the cap now after the Law deal so front loading the contract won't work......

I highly doubt he will be asking for anything he knows he can't get. I could be wrong (sports players are a-holes like that), but I'm sure he knows he can get something.

At this point, he has us by the balls. So I suggest we give him 3.

Moooo

greg63
07-27-2006, 02:29 AM

Yeah; this is just perfect!!!!!!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

tk13
07-27-2006, 02:29 AM
Haha yeah... you knew things were going too well this offseason. Something had to go wrong. Smart move though, he's got Carl by the pants. If he's not there and somebody else doesn't step up, our offense is going to be neutered. Tony G will be getting mugged even worse and everybody will be stuffing the box to hold LJ down.

Sad part is that I betcha a million dollars he would've NEVER done this to Dick Vermeil. Not in a million years.

SoCalBronco
07-27-2006, 02:30 AM
shocking.

Mecca
07-27-2006, 02:30 AM
IMO Eddie deserves a raise. He's earned it and when was the last time we a WR who had over a 1000 yards recieving for two years in a row. We should be able to do this and maybe even save cap room this year. Actually I would expect that. This shouldn't be a problem.......I hope this isn't a problem.

I don't particulary know how enthusiastic Lamar is going to be to flip some more bonus money out there in what is usually the "down year" of signing players. When you look at it logically paying a 33 year old WR very much money isn't a very sound thing to do......

We're gonna end up in cap hell if we keep having to pay guys who have 2 years left like this.

philfree
07-27-2006, 02:31 AM
Kennison and Hamilton first contacted the Chiefs in the spring. Talks have been ongoing but fruitless.

I don't think Eddie waited to do this at the end.

Guru
07-27-2006, 02:32 AM
Sad part is that I betcha a million dollars he would've NEVER done this to Dick Vermeil. Not in a million years.

Exactly my thoughts. :cuss:

luv
07-27-2006, 02:33 AM
I don't particulary know how enthusiastic Lamar is going to be to flip some more bonus money out there in what is usually the "down year" of signing players. When you look at it logically paying a 33 year old WR very much money isn't a very sound thing to do......

We're gonna end up in cap hell if we keep having to pay guys who have 2 years left like this.
Is NOT giving it to him going to be a sound thing to do, though?

alanm
I understand his point of view. And agree to some extent. He's had two good years in a row and has played better than anyone expected him to. And Carl usually takes care of his guys when they earn it. Eddie's feeling slighted and underapreciated. But why drag it out in public? :shake: That was the worst f*cking thing to do. I'm reasonably certain his agent had a small portion to do with it. :cuss:

I swear if they don't watch their step their going to entering the realm of scum sucking lawyers. :)

Halfcan
Chiefs won't give him a dime more-he signed a contract-live with it or leave.

philfree
07-27-2006, 02:34 AM

I'm not to disagree with waht you say but we should be able to get this done.. We'd better get it done.

HIChief
07-27-2006, 02:35 AM
I would take issue with Kennison's statement that he's lived up to and exceeded expectations. It's a SIX YEAR CONTRACT for crying out loud! How does he figure two years in he's exceeded expectations? He hasn't even met them. Let him walk!

Guru
07-27-2006, 02:35 AM
Chiefs won't give him a dime more-he signed a contract-live with it or leave.

Unfortunately, that doesn't fly anymore.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 02:36 AM

Maybe he's afraid the new offense will not cater to him, and make him look worse. If he signs now while his stock is high, it makes the most sense.

Moooo

Mecca
07-27-2006, 02:36 AM
Is NOT giving it to him going to be a sound thing to do, though?

This is why we should have addressed the damn WR position in the last 5 years......but no we still have people who think we don't need WR's.

Guru
07-27-2006, 02:38 AM
This is why we should have addressed the damn WR position in the last 5 years......but no we still have people who think we don't need WR's.

I knew that was going to come up. IT is completely accurate too.

Miles
07-27-2006, 02:40 AM

We could always bring back Richard Smith...

Halfcan
07-27-2006, 02:40 AM
Unfortunately, that doesn't fly anymore.

Eddie is still getting a nice chunk of change. Everyone wants more money, several players took pay cuts. How many TD's did EK have last year??

No soup for you Eddie.

philfree
07-27-2006, 02:41 AM
I knew that was going to come up. IT is completely accurate too.

I guess you'd have clarify address. We have drafted some WRs ovrer that span of time but so far none of them have worked out.

alanm
07-27-2006, 02:42 AM
I would take issue with Kennison's statement that he's lived up to and exceeded expectations. It's a SIX YEAR CONTRACT for crying out loud! How does he figure two years in he's exceeded expectations? He hasn't even met them. Let him walk!
Priest had the same issue a couple of years ago. And Carl ponied up for him. Maybe Carl should throw him half a million raise and incentive bonuses. Say he hits 1000 yrds again and oh...15 TD's he gets another million and a half or so. :thumb:

Guru
Eddie is still getting a nice chunk of change. Everyone wants more money, several players took pay cuts. How many TD's did EK have last year??

No soup for you Eddie.

I don't disagree with you at all. Just seems that logic never seems to win these battles.

Halfcan
Fast Freddie is available-lol

Letting Bo go to the Pack is looking really stoopid right now.

luv
07-27-2006, 02:43 AM

No soup for you Eddie.
So players should get raises solely dependent upon how many TD's they get?

Miles
How many TD's did EK have last year??

No soup for you Eddie.

Most receiving TDs on the team last year.

Guru

Lets get Spiderman. :shake:

Mecca

No soup for you Eddie.

So you are comfortable with paying Kennison his current contract to sit at home while starting Samie Parker and um Craphonso Thorpe?

I think the only reason Kennison is showing up to camp is the league upped the daily fines from 5 grand a day to 14 grand a day......

Mecca
07-27-2006, 02:45 AM
Priest had the same issue a couple of years ago. And Carl ponied up for him. Maybe Carl should throw him half a million raise and incentive bonuses. Say he hits 1000 yrds again and oh...15 TD's he gets another million and a half or so. :thumb:

I don't think that's a good comparison though.....We were paying Holmes like a backup and he was playing like a top 2 RB in the league. Kennison isn't exactly making chump change for what he produces on the field.

Miles
07-27-2006, 02:45 AM

Yep he was an outstanding talent. How many TDs has he had since 02?

Mecca
07-27-2006, 02:48 AM

We haven't had legit WR's on this team in years. It has nothing to do with who we let go it has to do with not making any movies to get any damn players at that position in here that can actually do something.

The Dude Abides
07-27-2006, 02:48 AM
Lets get Spiderman. :shake:
I forgot all about him! Wasnt that Andre Rison? Hey, who was it that was called Mighty Mouse? Im thinking he was a CB.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 02:49 AM
I guarantee you this will get resolved in time. Obviously Carl has orders that everything needs to flow this offseason, especially if Hali is signed before training camp.

Moooo

Mecca
07-27-2006, 02:49 AM
I just wonder if everyone is going to talk about what a great guy Kennison is and how he really turned his life around now......

luv
07-27-2006, 02:50 AM
I guarantee you this will get resolved in time. Obviously Carl has orders that everything needs to flow this offseason, especially if Hali is signed before training camp.

Moooo
Okay. Time for me to learn again. What position does Hali play?

And I won't even go into what I don't understand about the salary cap.

Guru
07-27-2006, 02:51 AM
I forgot all about him! Wasnt that Andre Rison? Hey, who was it that was called Mighty Mouse? Im thinking he was a CB.

Mcmillan?

Moooo
07-27-2006, 02:52 AM
Okay. Time for me to learn again. What position does Hali play?

And I won't even go into what I don't understand about the salary cap.

He's a defensive end. OUr first round draft pick. Rumor has it they're getting ready to sign him, and if that's the case we'll go into the first day of training camp fairly problem free.

Moooo

philfree
07-27-2006, 02:53 AM
I just wonder if everyone is going to talk about what a great guy Kennison is and how he really turned his life around now......

I will! He's earned a new deal to finish out his career and he fits our O perfectly. I also thought I read that he was looking really good in the OTAs. We need to get Hali signed and the focus on Eddie. We need Eddie.

PhilFree:arrrow:

Miles
07-27-2006, 02:54 AM

I bet he is still thinking about that security guard he talked down to five years ago. Glad he has changed his criminal ways.

The Dude Abides
07-27-2006, 02:55 AM
He's a defensive end. OUr first round draft pick. Rumor has it they're getting ready to sign him, and if that's the case we'll go into the first day of training camp fairly problem free.

Moooo
Except for Fast Eddie screaming "Show me the money!" :hmmm:

alanm
I don't think that's a good comparison though.....We were paying Holmes like a backup and he was playing like a top 2 RB in the league. Kennison isn't exactly making chump change for what he produces on the field.
Eddie wants a raise, that's all. Maybe Carl should throw him a bone and make him happy. But with lots of incentives. All I'm saying is if he felt like he was being slighted some how why not just go in to Carl and talk about it. Chances are Carl would have probably done so. No, hes got to go public with it. Now hes probably pissed Carl off.
Bad move on Eddies part.

Mecca
My only problem with paying him very much money is he's an older player who's likely to start declining. If he was 25-27 and was ascending and was in this position my view would be alot different.

luv
07-27-2006, 02:56 AM

Moooo
You know, it would really suck to be drafted, then not make the team. What happens to those that don't - they become FA's?

And that's actually what I liked about the preseason game I went to last year. I got to see a lot of players that I wouldn't have gotten to see during the regular season.

The Dude Abides
07-27-2006, 02:58 AM
I miss Boerigter. Tall, fast white guys with good hands dont knock on the door of Arrowhead very often

alanm
07-27-2006, 03:03 AM
You know, it would really suck to be drafted, then not make the team. What happens to those that don't - they become FA's?

They wake up the next day and realize they have just entered the "Real" world. And get up and go look for a job. ROFL

Mecca
07-27-2006, 03:04 AM

And that's actually what I liked about the preseason game I went to last year. I got to see a lot of players that I wouldn't have gotten to see during the regular season.

Yea you become a FA if you get cut. Of course if you are picked in the first 3 rounds you are basically guarenteed a roster spot.

luv
07-27-2006, 03:05 AM
They wake up the next day and realize they have just entered the "Real" world. And get up and go look for a job. ROFL
So someone else couldn't come along and offer them a chance?

alanm
07-27-2006, 03:05 AM
I miss Boerigter. Tall, fast white guys with good hands dont knock on the door of Arrowhead very often
Well, there was Rob Thomas and Sean La Chappell. ROFL

alanm
07-27-2006, 03:08 AM
So someone else couldn't come along and offer them a chance?
Yes they can. But only I'd guess 2% of rookies ever get picked up by another team. If you've played in the league for a few years your chances are almost certain you're claimed by another team.

el borracho
Exactly what expectations does Eddie think he has surpassed? He is not an elite WR and he never will be. Either honor your contract or eat a dick, Eddie.

Jim Jones

Personally, a night hasn't gone by that I haven't shed a tear about the release of Mr. Boerigter.

What do you consider a legit WR? Kennison fits pretty well in this offense and has had two straight very productive seasons. Is he going to be Chad Johnson or Terrell Owens? No, but he's still a pretty damn good WR.

The Dude Abides
07-27-2006, 03:09 AM
You know who I also wished we still had? Scott Fujita. I'll never forget him chasing down a punt returner from behind. Awesome! I hope he does well in Dallas

Jim Jones
07-27-2006, 03:10 AM
Fujita is in New Orleans now, I believe. Bill Parcells didn't know what to do with all that talent.

Mecca
07-27-2006, 03:13 AM
Personally, a night hasn't gone by that I haven't shed a tear about the release of Mr. Boerigter.

What do you consider a legit WR? Kennison fits pretty well in this offense and has had two straight very productive seasons. Is he going to be Chad Johnson or Terrell Owens? No, but he's still a pretty damn good WR.

Like I said if he was 25-27 and asking for a new contract I'd have no problem with it. To me the biggest factor with him is age. How many productive years does he really have left? Not many WR's are productive once they start reaching ages like 35.

The Dude Abides
07-27-2006, 03:15 AM
Yeah, I guess you are right, he is in New Orleans. And yes he did have some talent. I would have liked to see him and Jared Allen pass rushing with Law and Sertain covering

Mecca
07-27-2006, 03:20 AM
Yeah, I guess you are right, he is in New Orleans. And yes he did have some talent. I would have liked to see him and Jared Allen pass rushing with Law and Sertain covering

The LB's we have now are better than Scott Fujita......that's why he was expendable.

el borracho
07-27-2006, 03:24 AM
Scott Fujita?!!!

Oh, boo-hoo! I'll guess we'll just have to try and get along with that Johnson fellow.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 03:27 AM
The LB's we have now are better than Scott Fujita......that's why he was expendable.

Although I'm not the most knowledgeable on the sport, I loved Fujita. He made tackles, and was fast. Not a playmaker, but an awesome support who didn't ask for a lot of bank.

He seemed like a solid team player.

Moooo

The Dude Abides
07-27-2006, 03:31 AM
Scott Fujita?!!!

Oh, boo-hoo! I'll guess we'll just have to try and get along with that Johnson fellow.
Very true, very true.

RINGLEADER
give him a bonus and give him minimum deals for a couple years...he gets his raise and frees up some cap space going forward. if he wants $15 mil, however, I don't see him ever being happy anywhere cuz I doubt anyone will give him major coin based on his age.

Too bad the league is so adverse to truly performance-oriented contracts.

Mecca
I never thought Fujita was all that good to be honest. He stood out because at the time he was on the defense our defense was devoid of any talent at all.

As far as being fast I'll never forget the game when Drew Brees scrambled and ran by him on the corner.....

Moooo
07-27-2006, 03:37 AM
I never thought Fujita was all that good to be honest. He stood out because at the time he was on the defense our defense was devoid of any talent at all.

This doesn't make sense. If he stood out on that D, and some of the same players are still here, wouldn't tmat make him at least average?

Moooo

Mecca
07-27-2006, 03:40 AM
This doesn't make sense. If he stood out on that D, and some of the same players are still here, wouldn't tmat make him at least average?

Moooo

Those players shouldn't be here either.......Who are the worst players on our current defense? The ones that haven't been replaced from the 2003 defense........Eric Hicks, the DT's, Greg Wesley.

BigRock
07-27-2006, 03:41 AM
Exactly what expectations does Eddie think he has surpassed?
He probably thinks he's surpassed the expectations that a team has for a guy when they pay him to be the #2 WR behind Johnnie Morton. And he's right. Eddie's been getting #2 money as the most reliable WR the team has seen in years, while Johnnie "#1" Morton did the worm a few times and dropped balls that were thrown right at his hands in the playoffs.

Eddie not only outperformed Morton, he made him expendable. He's more than earned the money. There's not a person alive who wouldn't be upset if they went into work one day and their boss said "Hey, you know the guy who makes more money than you, even though you do better work? Well, we're getting rid of him and giving you his job. But don't think you're getting a raise."

They should have taken care of Eddie after they cut Morton. Give him some money, Carl.

Miles
07-27-2006, 03:43 AM

Moooo

He is good depth and can be servicable on a team that can hide a medicore starting LB due to other strengths.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 03:47 AM
Those players shouldn't be here either.......Who are the worst players on our current defense? The ones that haven't been replaced from the 2003 defense........Eric Hicks, the DT's, Greg Wesley.

I don't agree with this all the way. I think those players you listed still serve a purpose on a D. Just cause you're not the best player doesn't mean you don't have aplace on the D. As a matter of fact a lot of times those average guys do better complimenting a great player, rather than having two all-stars.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm definitely not saying you're wrong (I can easily see where you're coming from), but my kind, optimistic heart thinks there's a place for these guys on a D, just as much as there is the all star.

But then again, I think Hicks takes the blame for all the problems of the D-Line. Except for when Allen is in, there's no one player who pulls everything together, and since he used to be that guy, and isn't anymore, he gets the blame. I don't think he's very good anymore, but I think he's still starting material as long as he's surrounded with sufficient talent on the line, something KC has been void of the last few years (Allen isn't enough).

Moooo

Moooo
07-27-2006, 03:48 AM
He is good depth and can be servicable on a team that can hide a medicore starting LB due to other strengths.

Thank you :)

Strangely enough, those are my favorite players. Those guys who get looked over by the all-stars.

I'd go as far to say he would be a solid starter, though I didn't follow him last year at all.

Moooo

Miles
07-27-2006, 03:49 AM
With not that much looking around it seems that Kennison is only the second WR in Chiefs history to have back to back 1000yd seasons. The only other I can find is Carlos Carson, who is also a former LSU player.

jAZ
07-27-2006, 03:52 AM
But offseason research by his agent, John Hamilton, showed Kennison to have the 45th-highest 2006 salary among the NFL’s 64 starting wide receivers.

“I will cross that bridge when I get to it,” Kennison said. “I will go to camp and work as hard as I’ve been working. I won’t have any bitter or sour attitudes in camp. …

“But when I signed my last contract with the Chiefs, I think we all know that if I hadn’t performed to expectations, I wouldn’t be here anymore. Well, I played beyond those expectations. Now it’s time for them to step up and compensate me for my performance compared to the guys in my peer group.

“I have a responsibility to this organization and the 53 guys I dress with, so it came up quickly that I was not going to miss camp,” Kennison said. “I’m not a selfish, flashy kind of guy. I just want the world to know what’s going on with my situation.

“I love being a Kansas City Chief. I want to be here for the rest of my career. The Chiefs have not said they won’t take care of me. Carl has indicated to my agent they are willing to do something.
Burried through-out the flashy, melo-dramatic article is a considerate, thoughtful, honest and quite justified case for deserving and requiring a better deal.

The way he's chosen to try to handle this demands respect, IMO. Kudos to Eddie for trying to take care of his business, but doing it in a respectful and team-first sort of way.

tk13
With not that much looking around it seems that Kennison is only the second WR in Chiefs history to have back to back 1000yd seasons. The only other I can find is Carlos Carson, who is also a former LSU player.
Yeah, it says that in the article. :)

He's probably farther up the record books in a lot more areas than people would expect.

The Dude Abides
Thank you :)

Strangely enough, those are my favorite players. Those guys who get looked over by the all-stars.

I'd go as far to say he would be a solid starter, though I didn't follow him last year at all.

Moooo
Im not sure, but I think he actually sacked Trent when we played in Dallas. That sucked. :cuss:

KCChiefsMan
well some of the youngsters may get there chance to shine....or Tony G will catch 150 passes

Mecca
07-27-2006, 03:59 AM
I don't agree with this all the way. I think those players you listed still serve a purpose on a D. Just cause you're not the best player doesn't mean you don't have aplace on the D. As a matter of fact a lot of times those average guys do better complimenting a great player, rather than having two all-stars.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm definitely not saying you're wrong (I can easily see where you're coming from), but my kind, optimistic heart thinks there's a place for these guys on a D, just as much as there is the all star.

But then again, I think Hicks takes the blame for all the problems of the D-Line. Except for when Allen is in, there's no one player who pulls everything together, and since he used to be that guy, and isn't anymore, he gets the blame. I don't think he's very good anymore, but I think he's still starting material as long as he's surrounded with sufficient talent on the line, something KC has been void of the last few years (Allen isn't enough).

Moooo

Eric Hicks gets piled on because he doesn't produce then has outbursts about how players on the defense are "his friends". Eric Hicks has a loser attitude.......no one handles 1-3 better than him.

Miles
07-27-2006, 04:00 AM
Yeah, it says that in the article. :)

He's probably farther up the record books in a lot more areas than people would expect.

Glad my efforts were not wasted.

el borracho
07-27-2006, 04:00 AM
#1 receiver on our team doesn't mean much. Eddie would be the #3 receiver on a lot of teams.

Plus, I don't see that Eddie's job description changed following Morton's release. He was supposed to catch footballs and score touchdowns then and he is supposed to catch footballs and score touchdowns now. What is the difference?

I guess it is possible that some other team would pay him more than he is making now but, really, how much more? How much do you think Eddie Kennison is worth?

Eddie wants to complain that Ty Law gets more money than him? Try making the Pro Bowl, Eddie. Then ask for more money.

tk13
07-27-2006, 04:02 AM
Actually I remember we had this discussion a few months ago and I brought up a couple surprising stats regarding Kennison. I'm sure these numbers are pretty close to accurate using the stats on NFL.com... feel free to prove me wrong.

Most 100 yard receiving games, Chiefs history:

19 Otis Taylor
18 Carlos Carson
15 Tony Gonzalez
14 Eddie Kennison
12 Chris Burford, Derrick Alexander

40+ yard receiving plays, last 5 years (2001-05):

Terrell Owens 28
Randy Moss 26
Chad Johnson 23
Eddie Kennison 21
Marvin Harrison 20
Torry Holt 19
Plaxico Burress 17

Those are the top guys in that 40+ statistic necessarily, just some of the "big name" WR's and their big plays.

Mecca
07-27-2006, 04:04 AM
I'm not really sure how the "in Chiefs history" stuff relates because well. This team has probably gone the longest of any franchise in the league without a true star player at the WR position.

Miles
07-27-2006, 04:05 AM
Im not sure, but I think he actually sacked Trent when we played in Dallas. That sucked. :cuss:

I was at that game but luckily I drank enough that I can easily forget Fujita's plays.

philfree
07-27-2006, 04:06 AM
Like I said if he was 25-27 and asking for a new contract I'd have no problem with it. To me the biggest factor with him is age. How many productive years does he really have left? Not many WR's are productive once they start reaching ages like 35.

That's a good question. Seems to me though Eddie has aged like wine and gotten better over time. For an old guys he always seems to get wide open in crucial situations. He's caught more then one game winner since he's been a Chief and he knows this offense like the back of his hand. Green will never have a WR he has better report with either. Eddie is really important to our O. All that said IMO Eddie can have two more years of solid play. He's kinda of a late bloomer and he takes care of himself so he might even have a little more then that.

How long has Rod Smith played?

Mecca
07-27-2006, 04:08 AM
Rod Smith is 35, but he's an exception to the rule not the rule. There are very few WR's who are productive in the NFL at that age.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 04:09 AM
Rod Smith is 35, but he's an exception to the rule not the rule. There are very few WR's who are productive in the NFL at that age.

I think he's trying to say Eddie may be an exception too.

You gotta admit, there aren't very many WRs whose best years are at the age of 32 and 33 (or 31 and 32, whatever it may be)

Moooo

tk13
07-27-2006, 04:14 AM
I'm not really sure how the "in Chiefs history" stuff relates because well. This team has probably gone the longest of any franchise in the league without a true star player at the WR position.
You're probably right... which if you make that argument, is probably even more leverage for Eddie. We need him worse than anybody else because we haven't developed a good WR in forever.

Mecca
07-27-2006, 04:15 AM

You gotta admit, there aren't very many WRs whose best years are at the age of 32 and 33 (or 31 and 32, whatever it may be)

Moooo

You also notice the Broncos have attempted to get another WR, because of his age. Drafting Lelie, trading for Walker. Now the Lelie thing didn't work out all that well but atleast they addressed the position that's more than we've done at the spot.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 04:17 AM
You also notice the Broncos have attempted to get another WR, because of his age. Drafting Lelie, trading for Walker. Now the Lelie thing didn't work out all that well but atleast they addressed the position that's more than we've done at the spot.

Right. I'm not disagreeing with you. I think a team would have to be high to investin an aging WR. But I also think he's worth 3 this year. Even if the contract was exactly the same, and this year alone he got an extra mil, we should do it (If that's all he wants, which it could very well not be).

Moooo

philfree
07-27-2006, 04:18 AM

Moooo

You got it! He doesn't seem to take alot of hard hits if my memory is correct so IMO we need to pay him enough to keep him. He's very savy and he and Green are a good QB-WR combo. Besides I like him alot because he's had real life issues and overcome some adversity to get to where he's at. Injury free he'll have another 1000 yard season for the Chiefs if he things work out. That's pretty hard to let go of.

The Dude Abides
07-27-2006, 04:21 AM
It almost seems that we pick up recievers as an afterthought. Take notice, Carl, we're on to you

Mecca
07-27-2006, 04:26 AM
It almost seems that we pick up recievers as an afterthought. Take notice, Carl, we're on to you

Really top level WR's are very expensive and most of them get drafted really high. The only number 1 WR's I can think of that weren't really high picks are um Chad Johnson, Steve Smith and Terrell Owens. Rod Smith wasn't but he isn't elite anymore.

If you look at the stars that come into this league the Andre Johnsons, Torry Holts these guys are top 5 picks and well we never draft top 5. There are a couple in next years draft but we'll never sniff them. I think it's a combo of we're never a bad enough team to get a high enough pick to sniff the true studs out of college and not wanting to pay what it takes to get one of those guys in FA.

tk13
07-27-2006, 04:28 AM
Well the ways we've tried to address WR have failed miserably. Sylvester Morris, Snoop Minnis both got hurt. So did Boerigter... he was having a very nice preseason playing with the first team when he blew his knee out. Plus we spent good money on Morton, who was one of the best FA WR's out there. That didn't quite work out. Now we're trying to turn Parker into something.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 04:31 AM
Really top level WR's are very expensive and most of them get drafted really high. The only number 1 WR's I can think of that weren't really high picks are um Chad Johnson, Steve Smith and Terrell Owens. Rod Smith wasn't but he isn't elite anymore.

If you look at the stars that come into this league the Andre Johnsons, Torry Holts these guys are top 5 picks and well we never draft top 5. There are a couple in next years draft but we'll never sniff them. I think it's a combo of we're never a bad enough team to get a high enough pick to sniff the true studs out of college and not wanting to pay what it takes to get one of those guys in FA.

Randy Moss fell to 21st, and Harrison was 19th. I don't know if they count, though. You're still using a first rounder.

Moooo

Mecca
07-27-2006, 04:33 AM
Well the ways we've tried to address WR have failed miserably. Sylvester Morris, Snoop Minnis both got hurt. So did Boerigter... he was having a very nice preseason playing with the first team when he blew his knee out. Plus we spent good money on Morton, who was one of the best FA WR's out there. That didn't quite work out. Now we're trying to turn Parker into something.

Morris was drafted whe Cunningham was the coach so that's been what 6-7 years now. When Minnis was drafted he was a 3rd rounder that had no size I don't think anyone could have ever expected him to be more than a 3 or 4. Boerigter is trying to pluck a guy from Canada and see if you can find something there, it's a decent try.

Morton is the only time I ever thought they really tried to address the position when we were an offensive minded team. That one bombed he wasn't the right kind of WR to play here simple as that.

I just personally don't think they've been very serious about finding anything at WR. They're all 2nd day draft picks.....it's really sad too when you look at the talent that comes into the league every year at that position.

Mecca
07-27-2006, 04:35 AM
Randy Moss fell to 21st, and Harrison was 19th. I don't know if they count, though. You're still using a first rounder.

Moooo

Moss fell because of character concerns, everyone knew the guy was a top 5 talent. He had a positive marijuana test bad background and all sorts of issues. Him dropping had 0 to do with his ability.

tk13
07-27-2006, 04:37 AM
I don't know, you're right in that a lot of good WR's are first day picks, but there are a ton of bombs in the first round too. Peter Warrick, Freddie Mitchell, Travis Taylor, David Terrell, Rod Gardner, Ashley Lelie, Charles Rogers. That's not including Roy Williams and Mike Williams who have been outshined by guys like Scotty Vines in Detroit so far. There have been some massive and costly bombs there.

Mecca
07-27-2006, 04:39 AM
I don't know, you're right in that a lot of good WR's are first day picks, but there are a ton of bombs in the first round too. Peter Warrick, Freddie Mitchell, Travis Taylor, David Terrell, Rod Gardner, Ashley Lelie, Charles Rogers. There have been some massive and costly bombs there.

You hit and you miss, but the Chiefs haven't even tried to address the position. The last time we took a WR on the first day of the draft was 6 years ago.........

Moooo
07-27-2006, 04:41 AM

If you think about it, no one from that Fla State team's O really panned out that I can think of. Weinke and Minnis sure didn't, and if I'm not mistaken wasn't Peter Warrick on the other side of Minnis?

Moooo

Mecca
07-27-2006, 04:47 AM
If you think about it, no one from that Fla State team's O really panned out that I can think of. Weinke and Minnis sure didn't, and if I'm not mistaken wasn't Peter Warrick on the other side of Minnis?

Moooo

Walter Jones may have been on that team.....don't quote me on that though. Minnis didn't really get much play time till Warrick was gone actually. The team that went to the National Title game didn't have Warrick on it.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 04:50 AM
Walter Jones may have been on that team.....don't quote me on that though. Minnis didn't really get much play time till Warrick was gone actually. The team that went to the National Title game didn't have Warrick on it.

I didn't like College Football back then, so I don't know either.

Moooo

philfree
07-27-2006, 04:53 AM
You hit and you miss, but the Chiefs haven't even tried to address the position. The last time we took a WR on the first day of the draft was 6 years ago.........

And there our 22 positions to a starting line-up. I don't think we've ignored WR as much as we've focused on other positions and there was that year we drafted LJ. We might have missed a prospect but we've needed D for the last 5 years. We've tried to find gems or went the FA route. So far it's hard to argue the results of our offense and although Holmes was the catalyst our O didn't really catch fire till we brought Kennison on board. Kennison has been huge for the Chiefs.

Mecca
07-27-2006, 05:03 AM
And there our 22 positions to a starting line-up. I don't think we've ignored WR as much as we've focused on other positions and there was that year we drafted LJ. We might have missed a prospect but we've needed D for the last 5 years. We've tried to find gems or went the FA route. So far it's hard to argue the results of our offense and although Holmes was the catalyst our O didn't really catch fire till we brought Kennison on board. Kennison has been huge for the Chiefs.

Because we totally kicked ass when we took.......Junior Siavii, Kris Wilson and Keyaron Fox. Hell we could have traded all 3 of those picks and got Mike Clayton and you can't tell me he wouldn't mean more to this team than all 3 of those guys combined.

CupidStunt
07-27-2006, 05:16 AM
Just restructure so that we pay him a couple mil in the form of a roster bonus.

Simply not worth the trouble in our last opportunity to compete for a Championship, and he's earned it. No complex signing bonuses, no massive base salary raises; just a nice, $2M bonus.

Guru
07-27-2006, 05:20 AM
You got it! He doesn't seem to take alot of hard hits if my memory is correct so IMO we need to pay him enough to keep him. He's very savy and he and Green are a good QB-WR combo. Besides I like him alot because he's had real life issues and overcome some adversity to get to where he's at. Injury free he'll have another 1000 yard season for the Chiefs if he things work out. That's pretty hard to let go of.

Maybe this is his Jerry Mcquire moment. ROFL

"Show me the money!"

BigRock
07-27-2006, 05:47 AM
#1 receiver on our team doesn't mean much. Eddie would be the #3 receiver on a lot of teams.

#1 receiver on our team means everything. He's not on another team, he's on this one and he's a big part of what the offense does. And he's the #1 WR by far, the others aren't even close to him at this point.

Plus, I don't see that Eddie's job description changed following Morton's release. He was supposed to catch footballs and score touchdowns then and he is supposed to catch footballs and score touchdowns now. What is the difference?

The difference is that Eddie went from the team thinking he'd be #2 to Morton to actually becoming the no doubt, unquestioned go-to #1 WR with a second year player in Sammie Parker being a distant #2. That meant any number of changes in terms of what the team expected from him, the amount of plays they ran with him in mind, the pressure that was on him, the responsibility. Lots of things have changed since Eddie signed that contract, except for his paycheck.

I guess it is possible that some other team would pay him more than he is making now but, really, how much more? How much do you think Eddie Kennison is worth?

I have no idea what he'd be worth to some other team. The article pointed out that Terry Glenn is right there with Eddie in terms of age and production, and Glenn just got a nice new deal (I think 5 yr, $20 million). But Eddie's worth a whole lot to this team and they should make sure he gets taken care of.

Eddie wants to complain that Ty Law gets more money than him? Try making the Pro Bowl, Eddie. Then ask for more money.

Eddie didn't say he wanted more money than Ty Law. He said he thought the team should take care of it's own guys first. And they should have in Eddie's case.

ChiefButthurt
07-27-2006, 05:50 AM
Yeah...they'll show him the money and he'll start dropping balls. He's not far from the next Johnny Morton.

Make his "bonus" part of an incentive package. Cry baby athletes.

Guru
07-27-2006, 05:51 AM
All things considered, we have a huge dropoff from Eddie to our other options. At this point, I think Lamar has no choice but to upgrade his contract. I just hope this doesn't get ugly and his agent gets too greedy.

Just make this work and make it go away. They have more important things to concentrate on. Like getting to our first Superbowl in 37 years.

CupidStunt
07-27-2006, 06:05 AM
Eddie would be the #3 receiver on a lot of teams.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

List 'em. You'd struggle to find 7 or 8 teams, which is not even a quarter of the NFL.

Arizona, St. Louis (maybe), Dallas (maybe)....

I'd only buy that if you were to include teams like Oakland which are just overhyped. For example, he WOULD start over Jerry "no 1000-yard seasons" Porter.

BigRock
07-27-2006, 06:07 AM
The part that gets me the most, aside from the fact that they should have done this a year ago, is that Eddie's apparently been trying since the spring to get this done. His agent is even volunteering some kind of incentive based deal, where it won't hurt the team if Eddie's production declines. And Eddie's saying how much he loves being here and that he's not coming to camp with a bad attitude, unlike so many others we know of in the league.

And Carl isn't making any comment. Eddie is a good guy, the team needs him, he's earned better than a #2 WR paycheck, and Carl has had months to deal with this situation. Why let it get to this point? :banghead:

splatbass
07-27-2006, 06:16 AM
The part that gets me the most, aside from the fact that they should have done this a year ago, is that Eddie's apparently been trying since the spring to get this done. His agent is even volunteering some kind of incentive based deal, where it won't hurt the team if Eddie's production declines. And Eddie's saying how much he loves being here and that he's not coming to camp with a bad attitude, unlike so many others we know of in the league.

And Carl isn't making any comment. Eddie is a good guy, the team needs him, he's earned better than a #2 WR paycheck, and Carl has had months to deal with this situation. Why let it get to this point? :banghead:

Maybe Carl wanted to wait until Law and Hali were signed to see how much money he has to spend.

the Talking Can
07-27-2006, 06:16 AM
super

adios Mr. Kennison....

the Talking Can
07-27-2006, 06:31 AM
what Eddie deserves is irrelevant...

we have X mount of $$$ under the cap, and some estimate of this number going forward 2,3,4 years...according to CP, after signing the rookies, Gonzo is next in line for a contract...after that, next year, we have to worry about LJ/Allen/Mitchell....IF there is some floating around the edges of those contracts, I could see CP giving Eddie a couple of mil...

if not, if our cash is earmarked for those contracts, then Eddie won't get shit and he can decide if he wants to spend the rest of his ageing career sitting on the bench...

CupidStunt
07-27-2006, 06:42 AM
Sad as it may be, we aren't making the playoffs without Kennison.

Yeah, he might only be a "good" receiver, but he's the only one of those we have. And, yeah, we've had success without great receivers. But we haven't had success with the kind of receivers we'd be fielding sans Eddie K.

Coach
07-27-2006, 06:55 AM
:shake:

Unbelievable.

jspchief
07-27-2006, 06:57 AM
He deserves a pay raise. He's paid like the 45th best WR in the league, and he's clearly better than that. It sounds like up until this point he's gone about it in a respectable manner too.

The question is, how much is he asking for? If they've been at it since spring and are far enough away that holdout has entered the conversation, I have to believe he's asking for more than just an extra 1 million.

He was underpaid as a 31 and 32 year old WR, I can't hardly blame him for wanting to be overpaid at 33 to make up for it. At the same time, I can't blame the team for not wanting to do it.

This really sucks. Odds are, this is going to f*ck us this year, or if we pay him it will f*ck us down the road. Best case scenario is he gets a raise and continues to play at this level at the age of 35-36, which is pretty unlikely.

Bwana
07-27-2006, 07:05 AM
[QUOTE=BigRock
Eddie didn't say he wanted more money than Ty Law. He said he thought the team should take care of it's own guys first. And they should have in Eddie's case. [/QUOTE]

Perhaps, but to wait until seconds before the start of training camp for his demands, was a low test BS move on his part. :shake: I just lost a lot of respect for him over this. If Eddie wanted a raise, this should have been something that was addressed long before now. That being said, I hope they work something out soon and this thing doesn't drag out to the point where the regular season is about ready to start and when he does come back, the timing is off between him and Trent.We really need to trade or draft for a WR in the off season.

King_Chief_Fan
07-27-2006, 07:07 AM
Sad as it may be, we aren't making the playoffs without Kennison.

Yeah, he might only be a "good" receiver, but he's the only one of those we have. And, yeah, we've had success without great receivers. But we haven't had success with the kind of receivers we'd be fielding sans Eddie K.

Boo fricking hoo. I haven't read all 126 posts about the reactions to the greedy bastard, but we should hold pat. All of a sudden, I feel like making a deal with Oakland for Porter, or maybe wtih Denver for Lelie.

SOB had all year long to start this crap.

jspchief
07-27-2006, 07:10 AM
Perhaps, but to wait until seconds before the start of training camp for his demands, was a low test BS move on his part. :shake: I just lost a lot of respect for him over this. If Eddie wanted a raise, this should have been something that was addressed long before now. That being said, I hope they work something out soon and this thing doesn't drag out to the point where the regular season is about ready to start and when he does come back, the timing is off between him and Trent.

We really need to trade or draft for a WR in the off season.Read the article. They've been in talks with the Chiefs all off-season. He didn't just spring it on them.

My guess is the signing of Law is what brought it public. They've been at it behind closed doors all spring. Whatever excuse Carl would have been giving his agent probably went away the day they went out and signed an old CB to a big contract.

the Talking Can
07-27-2006, 07:15 AM
CP should have known that signing a probowl CB with Superbowl rings to improve our terrible defense would upset Eddie.

I hope we tear Law's contract up just to make Eddie happy.

jspchief
07-27-2006, 07:17 AM
CP should have known that signing a probowl CB with Superbowl rings to improve our terrible defense would upset Eddie.

I hope we tear Law's contract up just to make Eddie happy.The problem is, Carl isn't going to just come out and say "you suck too much to get a raise".

He was probably saying things about cap space and age. The signing of Law makes those excuses ring false.

Bwana
07-27-2006, 07:17 AM
Read the article. They've been in talks with the Chiefs all off-season. He didn't just spring it on them.

My guess is the signing of Law is what brought it public. They've been at it behind closed doors all spring. Whatever excuse Carl would have been giving his agent probably went away the day they went out and signed an old CB to a big contract.

If all that is true, I'm surprised that Carl didn't pick up Walker or some other WR to twist Eddies nads into signing, the same kind of move he pulled on Priest with Johnson. All that being said, I hope they can come to terms FAST and get this BS resolved before it causes major field and locker room issues.

the Talking Can
07-27-2006, 07:22 AM
The problem is, Carl isn't going to just come out and say "you suck too much to get a raise".

He was probably saying things about cap space and age. The signing of Law makes those excuses ring false.

yeah, I understand....Kennison's performance, in the abstract, merits a raise....but, in the real world, the Chiefs have other plans for their limited dollars...tough shit, that's life...threats are his only leverage now, I'm pretty sure CP will call that bluff....

personally, I don't want Eddie getting a god damn dime if it jepordizes us signing Tony/LJ/Allen...

tomahawk kid
07-27-2006, 07:39 AM
He's totally got the Chiefs over a barrel though.

It's not like you can go out and pick up another EK and move on.

As other's have mentioned, it's totally gonna f#ck with the Gonzalez / Allen negotiations.

Mile High Mania
07-27-2006, 07:40 AM
Eddie finally produces at the level of a strong #2 receiver and he wants more coin... priceless. Enjoy!

He's getting pretty decent money for what his role asks of him on this team. EK has finally put two good seasons together and the market is good for asking for more cash... so, I see why he's asking for a raise.

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| 1996 (http://www.profootballreference.com/years/1996.htm) stl (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/ram1996.htm) | 15 (http://www.profootballreference.com/games/KennEd00.htm#1996) | 0 0 0.0 0 | 54 924 17.1 9 |
| 1997 (http://www.profootballreference.com/years/1997.htm) stl (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/ram1997.htm) | 14 (http://www.profootballreference.com/games/KennEd00.htm#1997) | 3 13 4.3 0 | 25 404 16.2 0 |
| 1998 (http://www.profootballreference.com/years/1998.htm) stl (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/ram1998.htm) | 16 (http://www.profootballreference.com/games/KennEd00.htm#1998) | 2 9 4.5 0 | 17 234 13.8 1 |
| 1999 (http://www.profootballreference.com/years/1999.htm) nor (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/nor1999.htm) | 16 (http://www.profootballreference.com/games/KennEd00.htm#1999) | 3 20 6.7 0 | 61 835 13.7 4 |
| 2000 (http://www.profootballreference.com/years/2000.htm) chi (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/chi2000.htm) | 16 (http://www.profootballreference.com/games/KennEd00.htm#2000) | 3 72 24.0 0 | 55 549 10.0 2 |
| 2001 (http://www.profootballreference.com/years/2001.htm) den (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/den2001.htm) | 8 (http://www.profootballreference.com/games/KennEd00.htm#2001) | 3 9 3.0 0 | 15 169 11.3 1 |
| 2001 (http://www.profootballreference.com/years/2001.htm) kan (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/kan2001.htm) | 5 (http://www.profootballreference.com/games/KennEd00.htm#2001) | 2 13 6.5 0 | 16 322 20.1 0 |
| 2002 (http://www.profootballreference.com/years/2002.htm) kan (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/kan2002.htm) | 16 (http://www.profootballreference.com/games/KennEd00.htm#2002) | 7 58 8.3 0 | 53 906 17.1 2 |
| 2003 (http://www.profootballreference.com/years/2003.htm) kan (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/kan2003.htm) | 16 (http://www.profootballreference.com/games/KennEd00.htm#2003) | 2 9 4.5 0 | 56 853 15.2 5 |
| 2004 (http://www.profootballreference.com/years/2004.htm) kan (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/kan2004.htm) | 14 (http://www.profootballreference.com/games/KennEd00.htm#2004) | 2 15 7.5 0 | 62 1086 17.5 8 |
| 2005 (http://www.profootballreference.com/years/2005.htm) kan (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/kan2005.htm) | 16 (http://www.profootballreference.com/games/KennEd00.htm#2005) | 7 43 6.1 0 | 68 1102 16.2 5 |

Saulbadguy
07-27-2006, 07:43 AM
Give him his money.

DaKCMan AP
07-27-2006, 07:49 AM
I'm not going to overreact about this. It sounds as if they've been having talks all offseason and Eddie decided to go public with it. Just like TonyG did. Just like Priest did. He's going to camp, he said he'll work hard and that he wont have an attitude.

I'll get worked up if/when he leaves camp. Until then, it's just a negotiating ploy.

dirk digler
07-27-2006, 08:08 AM
I'm not going to overreact about this. It sounds as if they've been having talks all offseason and Eddie decided to go public with it. Just like TonyG did. Just like Priest did. He's going to camp, he said he'll work hard and that he wont have an attitude.

I'll get worked up if/when he leaves camp. Until then, it's just a negotiating ploy.

Yep I agree totally. Though if the Chiefs just would have signed TO and then Eddie couldn't complain about being paid like a #2. :)

Chiefnj
07-27-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think Eddie has much leverage on the Chiefs at all.

He's scheduled to make 4.8 million with KC over the next two years. Do people really think there are other NFL clubs that are going to pay a 33 year old receiver more than 5 million dollars? Teams learned long ago that tying up money in older players leads to more problems than good.

Sorry Eddie, but if your agent designed your contract to be based on being the #2 receiver and you are now the #1 receiver, you should have put in some clauses to bump up your pay or void the contract.

Life isn't always fair, but be grateful the Chiefs gave you a chance when other teams wouldn't sniff you after quitting the Broncos. If he's unwilling to play KC should give the young guys a chance. The Chiefs are going to have to develop their own talent sooner or later.

DaWolf
07-27-2006, 08:16 AM
Carl set the precedent by redoing Priest's contract so can't really blame Eddie, especially since this is his last real contract...

cmh6476
07-27-2006, 08:17 AM
trade him for jerry porter.

John_Wayne
07-27-2006, 08:28 AM
It sucks for the Chiefs salary cap, but I agree with Kennison. He deserves a new contract.

King_Chief_Fan
07-27-2006, 08:31 AM
The Chiefs are going to have to develop their own talent sooner or later.

I agree with your comments.
If we take a look at last years stats for Kennison and Parker:

Kennison had a 16.2 yards per catch average with 5 touchdowns.
Caught 68 passes

Parker had 14.6 yards per catch average with 3 touchdowns.
Caught 36 passes

The look fairly even.......I know that is not the entire picture, but, how do we develop Parker and others and tell Kennison to STFD and STFU?

BigRedChief
07-27-2006, 08:35 AM
Should he honor his contract that he signed? Sure but thats not the way the NFL works. If the player underperforms in the NFL they are forced to take a pay cut or lose the whole paycheck.

33 year old wide recievers don't get long term contracts without protection from a drop off in their production. but his agent already said publically that they would be willing to do something like that so King Carl will make sure the Chiefs are protected from a major unproductive cap hit.

He's not flashy? ROFL have you guys ever seen him in person? The dude dresses for success.

BigRedChief
07-27-2006, 08:38 AM
It sucks for the Chiefs salary cap, but I agree with Kennison. He deserves a new contract.

This is Tony G's last year he deserves one also.

And the big kahuna......LJ doesn't he deserve a new deal?

Brock
07-27-2006, 08:40 AM
This is Tony G's last year he deserves one also.

And the big kahuna......LJ doesn't he deserve a new deal?

Sure. Next year.

Iowanian
07-27-2006, 08:41 AM

Not unless Dan Snyder and their new cood decide to let him go.

Kennison is being an asswipe. He was pretty happy to sign that 6 year contract, accept that signing bonus 2 seasons ago. I doubt he'd be willing to give any money back if he has a shitty season either.

Never trade in the division.........but Joey Porter wants out.

I think Kawika Mitchell, Allen and Gonzalez probably have priority.

Tuckdaddy
07-27-2006, 08:51 AM
I realize that Law and Eddie are the same age but Law is going to the HOF someday and has 3 rings.

Do we have a choice? He's been a really good player for us and at this point there's no replacement for him.

Carl had better find a way to make him happy or we will be hurting but I have a feeling carl will get pissed a cut his ass.

Wile_E_Coyote
07-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Eddie is a #1 WR in the top 5 Offense for the last 3-4 years getting paid the 45th highest salary. But it is not just that. Go to any other teams BB, listen to ESPN. The Chiefs WRs are trash. It's also about some respect. Eddie deserves better than being refered to as trash

ROYC75
07-27-2006, 09:00 AM
The guy has produced, he has tried to get a new contract, he has waited, just like other Chiefs & NFL players before..........It's just business.

Either pay or don't pay.

IMHO, we need him and he has us bent over.

Mr. Kotter
07-27-2006, 09:02 AM
He deserves a bump in pay, out of respect. As long as he's reasonable, pay the man.

BigChiefFan
07-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Just when you thought all was well, then Kennison starts thinking he's king shit. Ride the pine.

King_Chief_Fan
07-27-2006, 09:04 AM
I realize that Law and Eddie are the same age but Law is going to the HOF someday and has 3 rings.

Do we have a choice? He's been a really good player for us and at this point there's no replacement for him.

Carl had better find a way to make him happy or we will be hurting but I have a feeling carl will get pissed a cut his ass.
Kennison should be reminded that the Chiefs were about the only team willing to give him any kind of shot when he pulled his Houdini act on Dungver. Uncle Dick took him in and cared for him.

I personally think his salary is about right for a 1000 yard 5 td season receiver. This team does not need to feel shameful about EK's current compensation.

Chiefnj
07-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Eddie is a #1 WR in the top 5 Offense for the last 3-4 years getting paid the 45th highest salary. But it is not just that. Go to any other teams BB, listen to ESPN. The Chiefs WRs are trash. It's also about some respect. Eddie deserves better than being refered to as trash

Meh. He's made 6.6 million the last three years, I think he can handle being called trash.

All I know is that if CP caves in, if I'm Jared Allen or LJ's agent I'm holding out. Allen got paid like a 5th rounder and is playing like a first round DE without much help at all from the rest of the line. He never even got a decent signing bonus.

Wile_E_Coyote
07-27-2006, 09:06 AM
before Eddie showed up this offense sucked ass. Priest didn't shine until Kennison took some pressure off him & Gonzo

Demonpenz
07-27-2006, 09:12 AM
good go drop all the 3rd down balls somewhere else

KCTitus
07-27-2006, 09:16 AM
before Eddie showed up this offense sucked ass. Priest didn't shine until Kennison took some pressure off him & Gonzo

ROFL

cdcox
07-27-2006, 09:24 AM
1. Gonzo is the #1 passing target in this offense and is getting paid for it.

2. The Cheifs never tear up old contracts and write new ones. They only extend contracts. Kennison's contract already goes through his 36th year. We could extend it through his 38th year or whatever, but whatever bonus we pay him now will come due a lot sooner than that. Meaning a good size cap hit the year his skills no longer allow him to play.

3. As others have mentioned, there was really no way for Carl to do anything sooner with the possilbility of signing Law hanging out there.

4. I'd probably try to fimd a way to get him another $1M to $1.5 M of guaranteed money, then tell him to take it or sit. He's not in the best barganing position either. He's got a chance to earn nearly $5M over the next two seasons. He sits this season out, he doesn't get paid. He'll never get that money back.

htismaqe
07-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Let him walk.

Sammie Parker and the rest of our scrubs aren't great, but they aren't a huge dropoff from Eddie Kennison either.

htismaqe
07-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Maybe we could trade him for Ashley Lelie. ROFL

Stinger
07-27-2006, 09:30 AM
The Chargers need to get themselves an unhappy receiver or else they're going to feel left out. Everyone else in the division has one.

Valiant
07-27-2006, 09:32 AM
People put too much merit in 1000 yard seasons... He is average at best, he can miss camp take the fines and then not get paid for missing the season..

Seriously 1000 yard season is roughly 60 yards per game... Not

Rain Man
07-27-2006, 09:35 AM
I hope they cure Eddie of his brainworms before camp starts.

John_Wayne
07-27-2006, 09:37 AM
I don't think this is a big deal. Law is signed, sealed and delivered. The contracts for Hali and Croyle will be done soon. Once their contracts are on the books, the Chiefs can turn to extending and rewriting contracts for Kennison, Gonzalez and others. They'll give Kennison a pat on the back and some assurances that the'll get a deal done with him during the season. Then, he'll back down and play football. In my view, this will only be a mini story for two or three days. It'll go away after Hali and Croyle are signed.

By the way, other than Gonzo and Kennison, what other vets are deserving of a new contract extension in the very near future?

ROYC75
07-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Maybe we could trade him for Ashley Lelie. ROFL

I would rather Denver take EK, Ashley to Oakland and Porter to us.

But that's just me..........

gcbroncos
07-27-2006, 09:44 AM

Donks fans will be here any moment now to say things like "We told you so" and shit

we told you so

HemiEd
07-27-2006, 09:46 AM
We do not need EK, we have Crap!

Rain Man
07-27-2006, 09:47 AM
we told you so

I wasn't expecting that.

Rain Man
07-27-2006, 09:49 AM
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Halfway through a six-year contract he signed in 2003, the Chiefs’ Eddie Kennison might have been able to live with the terms of the deal scheduled to pay him $2.1 million this season.

But offseason research by his agent, John Hamilton, showed Kennison to have the 45th-highest 2006 salary among the NFL’s 64 starting wide receivers. One of Kennison’s closest peers in terms of age and recent performance, Dallas’ Terry Glenn, recently received a lucrative contract extension.

The agent did his job, which was to stir up trouble and make Kennison unhappy, in hopes that the agent can then get more money by having Eddie risk his career.

jspchief
07-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Eddie finally produces at the level of a strong #2 receiver and he wants more coin... priceless. Enjoy!

Strong #2? Give me a break. He was top 15 in yards last year. That's producing better than half of the #1s in the league.

The only statistical category Kennison doesn't measure up is TDs, and that's only because we use other weapons in the red zone.

He's an average #1 being paid like an avergage #2

StcChief
07-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Carl has had time. My guess he will get a 1-2 year deal with incentives and decent money

htismaqe
07-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Carl has had time. My guess he will get a 1-2 year deal with incentives and decent money

Carl has had plenty of time. Sure, go ahead and blame Carl.

I wonder what this place would have said if Kennison got a contract extension in April and Carl said "sorry, no Ty Law, we gave Eddie his money."

ROFL

This place kills me.

the Talking Can
07-27-2006, 09:57 AM
He's got a chance to earn nearly $5M over the next two seasons. He sits this season out, he doesn't get paid. He'll never get that money back.

bingo...which is why he has no leverage

he can play and get paid, or sit out and rot and not earn a dime...the Chiefs aren't going to release him...

maybe CP will throw him a mill or two to shut him up, but I wouldn't bet on it...

and as I said before, it's more important to be able to sign Gonzo/LJ/Allen and maybe Mitchell long term...Kennison can have some scraps if it doesn't affect those players...

the Talking Can
07-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Carl has had plenty of time. Sure, go ahead and blame Carl.

I wonder what this place would have said if Kennison got a contract extension in April and Carl said "sorry, no Ty Law, we gave Eddie his money."

ROFL

This place kills me.

I know what I would have said: "Dammit Carl!!" :cuss:

Molitoth
07-27-2006, 10:02 AM
I have met expectations on my car payment, I think they need to restructure my contract so that it benefits my pocket book, those asshole bankers!

Deal with it Kennison you crybaby!!

stevieray
07-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Greed.

Two mill for six months of work isn't enough?

Sully
07-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Anyone heard from Brett Perriman lately?

gcbroncos
07-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Just when you thought all was well, then Kennison starts thinking he's king shit. Ride the pine.

this is fabulous......

an eddie kennison bashing thread on the chiefsplanet.....

finally a thread away from the mane i can feel right at home on....

Sully
07-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Greed.

Two mill for six months of work isn't enough?

:rolleyes: :shake:

stevieray
07-27-2006, 10:09 AM

:rolleyes:

JBucc
07-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Ty Law is three times the reciever Kennison ever was. We don't need this punk.

Rain Man
07-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Anyone heard from Brett Perriman lately?

Get real. He was a bust. I'm thinking more along the lines of Webster Slaughter.

Saulbadguy
07-27-2006, 10:13 AM

dtebbe
07-27-2006, 10:13 AM
I know what I would have said: "Dammit Carl!!" :cuss:

See, I told you guys it wouldn't take long.... :)

DT

stevieray
07-27-2006, 10:15 AM

tomahawk kid
07-27-2006, 10:17 AM

ROFL

htismaqe
07-27-2006, 10:18 AM

:hail:

chagrin
07-27-2006, 10:21 AM
:hail:

:shrug:

JBucc
07-27-2006, 10:23 AM
:shrug:
:Pinky:

Saulbadguy
07-27-2006, 10:25 AM
:Pinky:
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=1772&dateline=1145972763

StcChief
07-27-2006, 10:27 AM
:louder:

Baby Lee
07-27-2006, 10:29 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=1772&dateline=1145972763
OK, a Dirty Sanchez smilie I can take. If a Cleveland Steamer or Jelly Donut smilie shows up, though. . . ROFL ROFL

donkhater
07-27-2006, 10:32 AM
this is fabulous......

an eddie kennison bashing thread on the chiefsplanet.....

finally a thread away from the mane i can feel right at home on....
Yep, FIVE YEARS later, and the Bronco fans are finally validated. I bet you were getting nervous.

Demonpenz
07-27-2006, 10:36 AM
:clap:

BIG_DADDY
07-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Yep, FIVE YEARS later, and the Bronco fans are finally validated. I bet you were getting nervous.

ROFL

jspchief
07-27-2006, 10:45 AM
People put too much merit in 1000 yard seasons... He is average at best, he can miss camp take the fines and then not get paid for missing the season..

Seriously 1000 yard season is roughly 60 yards per game... NotThat explains why there were less than 20 1k yard receivers out of the 125+ WRs in the league last year.

Clearly they're a dime a dozen. :rolleyes:

Especially on this team.

jspchief
07-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Yep, FIVE YEARS later, and the Bronco fans are finally validated. I bet you were getting nervous.Validated by him outperforming his contract.

stevieray
07-27-2006, 10:53 AM

If Lamar deems his worth to be more than 2.1 mill., then I have no problem with it, but I don't think players should determine what they get paid.

Zman
07-27-2006, 10:56 AM
He signed the contract when no one else wanted him now he needs to honor it. Who else is going to sign him If he holds out see you later

gcbroncos
07-27-2006, 11:01 AM

5 years later is better than never!

patience is virtue my son....

hypersensitiveZO6
07-27-2006, 11:01 AM
It's obvious Kennison still has some bronco in him.

Horrible bastards give players viruses. :cuss:

Brock
07-27-2006, 11:02 AM
5 years later is better than never!

patience is virtue my son....

Especially when you are waiting for Jake Plummer to morph into Joe Montana.

gcbroncos
07-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Especially when you are waiting for Jake Plummer to morph into Joe Montana.

well.....he's moving in the right direction

is he not?

StcChief
07-27-2006, 11:05 AM
If Lamar deems his worth to be more than 2.1 mill., then I have no problem with it, but I don't think players should determine what they get paid.

Agents run the numbers with other receivers in the league getting paid at the time.

Agents want another contract to get paid again.

Still think the Chiefs will do a contract with 1-2 years as a number the # comensarate salary ~3m maybe very incentive laden.

the Talking Can
07-27-2006, 11:09 AM
if Kennison was so sure of his talent he wouldn't have signed a 6 year deal for "#2 money" to begin with...I just can't work up any sympathy for the guy even though he has played well for us...

Woodrow Call
07-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Let him walk.

Sammie Parker and the rest of our scrubs aren't great, but they aren't a huge dropoff from Eddie Kennison either.

I agree.

IMO Parker is on the verge of being the Chiefs best receiver anyway, Thorpe has 1st rd talent and has looked good at OTAs, and Webb looks the part from the little I have seen him. I say let Kennison sit.

stevieray
07-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Agents run the numbers with other receivers in the league getting paid at the time.

Agents want another contract to get paid again.

Still think the Chiefs will do a contract with 1-2 years as a number the # comensarate salary ~3m maybe very incentive laden.

I agree with the incentive laden contract, I don't agree with paying a player for something he might do.

How much money is going to Priest this year, and we don't even know if he can play...

hypersensitiveZO6
07-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Eddie Kennison deserves this but....

1. He's not the youngest of our players

2. Right now he knows we can't afford to restructure his contract

3. The team needs all the money for signing Draft Picks

4. He knows this team has huge potential this season. Why is he even considering leaving?

King_Chief_Fan
07-27-2006, 11:15 AM

is he not?

yes he is...........he is getting closer to unemployment

Baby Lee
07-27-2006, 11:16 AM

is he not?
In the sense that, as time progresses, he's that much closer to being a retired NFL quarterback.

EDIT: great minds K_C_F. :thumb:

the Talking Can
07-27-2006, 11:17 AM

is he not?

which obviously explains drafting Cutler...

Plummber will remembered only for giving you the most embarrassing and one-sided playoff loses in league history...

Chiefs Pantalones
07-27-2006, 11:18 AM
I just logged on this morning. Is this article a joke by one of the BB members? Come on, it has to be a joke, right? Kennison is one of the most inconsistent WRs we've had. His numbers look ok, but truth is, in crucial situations, he doesn't step up. I can't believe he's wanting to get a raise, he's not even in the top 10 in good WRs this league has, IMO. He wouldn't be starting on most teams. Him wanting to hold out is laughable. The whole ordeal is laughable.

htismaqe
07-27-2006, 11:19 AM

4. He knows this team has huge potential this season. Why is he even considering leaving?

Rookie contracts are already accounted for.

Sully
07-27-2006, 11:19 AM
My disagreement with Kennison is in his using Law as a reason to be upset.
If I have a jar of peanut butter on my shelf, then it's there. i don't need to go buy more.
However, if I need some jelly, I may have to get in the car, drive to the store, stand in line...etc to get it. That's far more effort than I would exert for the peanut butter, but I don't think it really says much about the relative value of the peanut butter to the jelly.

So to bring the rambling home... of course the Chiefs had to pay more to get a Law, or any free agent. But already having Kennison signed in addition to paying that extra money has no bearing ont heir relative value.

Anyone actually follow that?

Mr. Laz
07-27-2006, 11:21 AM
heh ... he's with saunders in washington

hypersensitiveZO6
Rookie contracts are already accounted for.
Roughly how much do you think is left in the cap?

I thought Tony G, etc were on the #1 list anyway.

Sully
Kennison is one of the most inconsistent WRs we've had. His numbers look ok, but truth is, in crucial situations, he doesn't step up.

I couldn't disagree more with these statements.

Baby Lee
07-27-2006, 11:22 AM
I'll be honest with ya, I miss 90% of what you're saying because I'm chuckling at my Mind's Eye Theater having your posts read in Pappa McKenzie's voice.

HEED!!!

Sully
07-27-2006, 11:24 AM
I'll be honest with ya, I miss 90% of what you're saying because I'm chuckling at my Mind's Eye Theater having your posts read in Pappa McKenzie's voice.

HEED!!!

We have a piper down!!
I repeat, a piper is down!!!

Chiefs Pantalones
Why is Ty Law being mentioned by Kennison anyway? Sure, they play different positions, but they shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as far as impact players go. Ty has been to pro bowls, IIRC, Eddie hasn't. STFU Kennison, you're not as good as the numbers say you've been.

Chiefnj

1. Eddie is well aware of his age and knows this is his last opportunity to attempt to get some more money.

2. Do you really know how much money is available? Base salary can always be converted to a signing bonus, which frees up money short term.

3. Htis answered this already.

4. Every team in the NFL has potential. It's a business and he's trying to look after himself.

Woodrow Call
07-27-2006, 11:27 AM
This doesn't surprise me much. Didn't Kennison get upset when the Chiefs were looking at T.O.?

htismaqe
07-27-2006, 11:27 AM
My disagreement with Kennison is in his using Law as a reason to be upset.
If I have a jar of peanut butter on my shelf, then it's there. i don't need to go buy more.
However, if I need some jelly, I may have to get in the car, drive to the store, stand in line...etc to get it. That's far more effort than I would exert for the peanut butter, but I don't think it really says much about the relative value of the peanut butter to the jelly.

So to bring the rambling home... of course the Chiefs had to pay more to get a Law, or any free agent. But already having Kennison signed in addition to paying that extra money has no bearing ont heir relative value.

I followed it. It's actually not that bad of an analogy.

Mr. Laz
07-27-2006, 11:28 AM
trade Kennison for Jerry porter

:fire:

SNR
07-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Time to break out Kris Wilson!

Uhh.. I mean... time to break out Operation Eagle...

hypersensitiveZO6
07-27-2006, 11:29 AM
1. Eddie is well aware of his age and knows this is his last opportunity to attempt to get some more money.

2. Do you really know how much money is available? Base salary can always be converted to a signing bonus, which frees up money short term.

3. Htis answered this already.

4. Every team in the NFL has potential. It's a business and he's trying to look after himself.

You win, but it pisses me off if this was brought on by the Ty Law signing.

Demonpenz
07-27-2006, 11:30 AM

sorry i wasn't even reading what anyone said. I just decided the post a smiley face since everyone else did

Der Flöprer
07-27-2006, 11:31 AM
I just logged on this morning. Is this article a joke by one of the BB members? Come on, it has to be a joke, right? Kennison is one of the most inconsistent WRs we've had. His numbers look ok, but truth is, in crucial situations, he doesn't step up. I can't believe he's wanting to get a raise, he's not even in the top 10 in good WRs this league has, IMO. He wouldn't be starting on most teams. Him wanting to hold out is laughable. The whole ordeal is laughable.

I took a lot of shit for saying something similar to this on another thread. Of course I was a lot more outlandish with my comments.

hypersensitiveZO6

Shhh!.......damnit

Don't talk about the secret weapon.

htismaqe
trade Kennison for Jerry porter

:fire:

Works for me. :clap:

Der Flöprer
07-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Works for me. :clap:

How about Lelie for Kennison? ROFL

Sully

You just lost the team 2 games.

Thanks.

Chiefnj
The only thing Eddie said about Law was that he found it frustrating that CP didn't take care of existing players first:

"But, yeah, it’s a source of frustration. When you’ve been a part of an organization for some time, I think those guys in that organization need to be taken care of first."

Unfortunately for Kennison the existing players haven't been able to get the job done and outside help was needed to get them over their current suckage hump. I guess Eddie would have been happier getting a raise and having Lenny Walls start.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-27-2006, 11:33 AM
I couldn't disagree more with these statements.

Eddie Kennison...

HOORAY MEDIOCRE WRS!!!

http://derekstubbs.com/wp/images/redstripe.jpg

Der Flöprer
07-27-2006, 11:34 AM
The only thing Eddie said about Law was that he found it frustrating that CP didn't take care of existing players first:

"But, yeah, it’s a source of frustration. When you’ve been a part of an organization for some time, I think those guys in that organization need to be taken care of first."

Unfortunately for Kennison the existing players haven't been able to get the job done and outside help was needed to get them over their current suckage hump. I guess Eddie would have been happier getting a raise and having Lenny Walls start.

Eddie Kennison does not have nearly the passion for this team that most of the members of this board too. It's a business for him, it's entertainment for us. Super Bowls are nice, but I think it's just fluff talk from most of these guys. They learned it like they do on the movie "Bull Durham"

htismaqe
07-27-2006, 11:34 AM

Yep.

I don't care if the guy wants a raise. He's played better than his contract, it's true.

But to INSISTING that his raise is more important than the rest of team? Fug him, let him walk.

Garcia Bronco
07-27-2006, 11:35 AM

This has nothing to do with the fact that he quit on us the night before a game. He's 33...he's got leverage....and he's got 3-4 years left in him...maybe.

htismaqe
07-27-2006, 11:36 AM

I already tried that joke.

Poser.

Der Flöprer
07-27-2006, 11:39 AM
I already tried that joke.

Poser.

That's what I get for not reading the other 200 posts on this thread. I get called a poser by some dude on the internet. I'll have to invest the time next time. :p

Mr. Laz
07-27-2006, 11:40 AM
repost!!

Chiefs Pantalones
07-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Ok, so he's getting paid like a good #3 WR. So lets give him a raise to where he's paid like a mediocre #2 WR and leave this all behind us...ROFL

Chiefs Pantalones
07-27-2006, 11:46 AM
What if he gets his "raise" and disappears this season on the field? That wouldn't surprise me, especially with his history...

FringeNC
07-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Without reading through all 240 replies, I have a question. How much would Eddie Kennison be able to get on the open market? I don't mind giving Kennison a little bonus paycheck for performances that have exceeded expectations, but how much, really, could he hope to get if he was released? The market for 33-year old WRs with questionable pasts may not be what Eddie imagines it to be....

htismaqe
07-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Without reading through all 240 replies, I have a question. How much would Eddie Kennison be able to get on the open market? I don't mind giving Kennison a little bonus paycheck for performances that have exceeded expectations, but how much, really, could he hope to get if he was released? The market for 33-year old WRs with questionable pasts may not be what Eddie imagines it to be....

EGG-ZACKLY.

jlscorpio
07-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Let the Sammie Parker/Crap Thorpe/Jeff Webb era begin

Chiefnj
07-27-2006, 11:57 AM
The only team that I can envision paying him more than the 4.8 that he is scheduled to make in KC over the next two years would be Washington so he could be reunited with Saunders. But then again, Washington isn't in desperate need of a receiver and Eddie wouldn't be the #1 guy.

Is Cleveland desperate? Jax doesn't like to pay older players - they've been burned. Nobody else stand out in terms of need or money availability.

Mr. Laz
07-27-2006, 12:00 PM
i imagine they take a hard stance about money for kennison.

then if he doesn't play they can blame that for the offensive drop instead of Herman Edwards and losing Saunders.

MahiMike
07-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Anyone still think my idea of playing Ty Law at WR is stoopid?

Brock
07-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Anyone still think my idea of playing Ty Law at WR is stoopid?

Uh, to say the least.

htismaqe
07-27-2006, 12:07 PM
i imagine they take a hard stance about money for kennison.

then if he doesn't play they can blame that for the offensive drop instead of Herman Edwards and losing Saunders.

ROFL

Gotta have that scapegoat.

Hell, we're gonna suck even with Kennison. Jesus lives in Washington now. :thumb: