PDA

View Full Version : If you could have ONE player...

Moooo
07-27-2006, 03:01 AM
Okay, so I did this with the Royals, and now I'm doing it with the Chiefs. If you could have one player from any team to add to the current Roster, who would it be, and why?

Truthfully, I'm torn. My very first thought was a DT, someone to the likes of Kris Jenkins (I really think he'd bring the team together). But, he's injured a lot, and picking a DT when I have the whole LEAGUE to choose from seems kinda silly.

Then I thought offense. With Kennison getting older, and our WRs being fairly thin, I started wondering what someone like Chad Johnson would do. One things for sure, he'd really tighten up the hands on the team.

But with so many older OLs, a stud for a LT would be nice to have, but there isn't any real young LTs out there that stand out as being a franchise player, and I want someone to keep for 10 years...

But finally, I thought the QB is still the most important position in football, and that ours is getting older and although is very competent, will be retiring in the next few years. QB development is always a gamble, so I think the best person for our team is Carson Palmer. He's young, already a Pro Bowl caliber player, and will insure our backfield is nothing short of stellar for the next 8 years or so, and the QB spot for longer than that. I know he's injured, but if we got him he could spend the whole year recovering nicely.

I'll be the first to admit this could be very wrong. I'd still like to get a Tackle, but I can't think of any 25 or younger. If you can show me the error in my ways and in turn give me your opinion, I'd love to hear it.

Moooo

luv
07-27-2006, 03:17 AM
What about kickers? Are we still lacking there, or is Tynes satisfactory?

Mecca
07-27-2006, 03:18 AM
Julius Peppers, that is all.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 03:21 AM
What about kickers? Are we still lacking there, or is Tynes satisfactory?

He gets the job done. I personally wouldn't invest in someone who doesn't get to be on the field that much.

I think kickers are underrated personally, but the truth is the nature of their position doesn't allow them to be as much of an impact as someone who is in half the game.

But considering that Vinateri IMO is half the reason The Pats are 3 time champs instead of a 1 time champ with 2 other appearances, I wouldn't hold it against someone who valued the position that highly.

Moooo

CupidStunt
07-27-2006, 04:16 AM
Jamal Williams.

Tribal Warfare
07-27-2006, 04:29 AM
Brian Urlacher

CupidStunt
07-27-2006, 05:03 AM
Brian Urlacher

All due respect, but why would take a player -- as great as he is -- to replace a player that's pretty good?

My logic in taking Williams was that DT is one of, if not the, biggest weaknesses on the team, and taking the best in football is a smart move. Ed Reed, Osi Umenyiora and Torry Holt were also considerations.

Tribal Warfare
07-27-2006, 05:33 AM
All due respect, but why would take a player -- as great as he is -- to replace a player that's pretty good?

My logic in taking Williams was that DT is one of, if not the, biggest weaknesses on the team, and taking the best in football is a smart move. Ed Reed, Osi Umenyiora and Torry Holt were also considerations.
you just said it Kawika is pretty good but Urlacher is great, and the player is often compared to HOFers such as Butkus and Nitchke

CupidStunt
07-27-2006, 05:41 AM
Fairnuff.

Amnorix
07-27-2006, 05:46 AM
He gets the job done. I personally wouldn't invest in someone who doesn't get to be on the field that much.

I think kickers are underrated personally, but the truth is the nature of their position doesn't allow them to be as much of an impact as someone who is in half the game.

But considering that Vinateri IMO is half the reason The Pats are 3 time champs instead of a 1 time champ with 2 other appearances, I wouldn't hold it against someone who valued the position that highly.

Moooo

Jesus Christ. He's a KICKER. Not God. I'll give him the '01 season, as those were GREAT kicks. The other 2 SB seasons he did NOTHING remarkable. The game-winner against the Panthers was after he missed 2 not-too-difficult ones in the first half.

"Kicker half the reason". That Brady guy was the other half? What's left for the defense that stopped the Rams for most of the game? Who caught Brady's passes?

I love AV. He should never have to buy his own beer anywhere in New England for life. He should probably go to the NFL HOF. But he's not "half the reason".

Amnorix
07-27-2006, 05:47 AM
A Richard Seymour would do you well. Jenkins if he's healthy would be fine.

And I dunno if Urlacher is the best interior linebacker in the NFL, but I wouldn't argue with a top MLB either.

Interior, run-stopping defense is the right answer for you, and a "we won't lose" attitude / team leadership to come with it.

Amnorix
07-27-2006, 05:48 AM
Julius Peppers, that is all.

Not enough of a run-stopper, IMHO.

BucEyedPea
07-27-2006, 05:56 AM
"Kicker half the reason". That Brady guy was the other half?

Plus BB utilized AV in ways that made him great. Brady was capable of executing this to set AV up. BB also did not utilize AV for as many of those longs kicks in the past year. AV lost about 5 yards off his kicks. Buthe will always be Adam Vinatraitor to me now.

Amnorix
07-27-2006, 06:07 AM
Plus BB utilized AV in ways that made him great. Brady was capable of executing this to set AV up. BB also did not utilize AV for as many of those longs kicks in the past year. AV lost about 5 yards off his kicks. Buthe will always be Adam Vinatraitor to me now.

He had back trouble in '04, and lost some range over the last couple years. He's also 34.

I don't think he's a traitor, and won't hold this against him forever. I honestly don't think he's as critical to us now as he was in 2001. In '01, we had much less talent, and our margin of victory was very, very small in alot of games.

in '05, we had the biggest margin of victory in the NFL, I think, or second to the Colts. That makes a great kicker somewhat less important. Not unimportant, but less important.

DaKCMan AP
07-27-2006, 06:08 AM
I'd clone Rich Scanlon so that we could have the most gifted athlete, football player and folk hero in the universe x 2.

jspchief
07-27-2006, 06:13 AM
Julius Peppers, that is all.end of thread.

BucEyedPea
07-27-2006, 06:29 AM
He had back trouble in '04, and lost some range over the last couple years. He's also 34.

I know this but he he claimed his back problems were over with by last year anyhow.

I don't think he's a traitor, and won't hold this against him forever.
I don't like how the whole Colt's deal went down, he did not live up to his promise that he would allow the Pats to match whatever deal he got. That's what I'm referring to. I do think he wanted to stick it to management. That to me hurts the fans. I knew that you felt differently from earlier. T'is time to move on.

I honestly don't think he's as critical to us now as he was in 2001. In '01, we had much less talent, and our margin of victory was very, very small in alot of games.

I'd agree.
But this season there is less talent too( still seem thin at WR although I haven't kept up in past few months)...unless BB surprises us all which he does do...except he's got woman problems now and that does not bode well for concentration imo.

DaKCMan AP
07-27-2006, 06:32 AM
You guys have Deion Branch, Chad Jackson, Reche Caldwell and Troy Brown. That is not "thin" at WR.

Chad Jackson will be a stud. Too bad it's on the pats..

BucEyedPea
07-27-2006, 06:49 AM
You guys have Deion Branch, Chad Jackson, Reche Caldwell and Troy Brown. That is not "thin" at WR.

Chad Jackson will be a stud. Too bad it's on the pats..

Obviously I did not mean Branch.

I meant after him:

Chad Jackson - rookie
Troy Brown - old (35)
Rech Caldwell - decent pick-up but that's it

Hope you're right about Jackson but I don't rely on such talk until I see if he delivers.

Rudy lost the toss
07-27-2006, 06:56 AM
A Richard Seymour would do you well. Jenkins if he's healthy would be fine.

And I dunno if Urlacher is the best interior linebacker in the NFL, but I wouldn't argue with a top MLB either.

Interior, run-stopping defense is the right answer for you, and a "we won't lose" attitude / team leadership to come with it.
Seymour or Chester McGlockton would work. Gotta love those QB pressure stats ;)

Hound333
07-27-2006, 07:30 AM
I gotta go with Peppers or Freeney. Either of those two will make everyone else on our line a little better with the constant double or triple teams they will see.

chubychecker
07-27-2006, 08:07 AM
I agree with mooo that the QB position is most important and it is very up in the air after Trent leaves. However, I would go with a proven superbowl winner rather than a player coming off major surgery. Give me Brady, as much as I hate to admit it. He would give us a chance to win as long as he suited up.

On defense you can't go wrong with Freeney or peppers. IMO a great rush end can improve your D more than any other single position. Look what happened in Indy.

ck_IN
07-27-2006, 08:35 AM
If we're talking a 'win now' mindset then I'd go with Freeney or Osi from NYG. Either guy is a proven QB killer and if paired with Allen would make 5 or 7 step drops impossible.

If we're thinking longer term then I'd go with Big Ben. His arm is stronger then Brady, he can move a little better or at least he could, and I'll have to see Palmer perform before I'm comfortable with his injury.

Rain Man
07-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Who's the best defensive tackle in the game today, and who's under 30? Shaun Rogers, maybe? I'd take him this year.

If we're going long-term, I'll apologize to the haters, but give me Peyton Manning.

Chiefnj
07-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Who's the best defensive tackle in the game today, and who's under 30? Shaun Rogers, maybe? I'd take him this year.

Stroud or K. Williams?

Amnorix
07-27-2006, 09:15 AM
I don't like how the whole Colt's deal went down, he did not live up to his promise that he would allow the Pats to match whatever deal he got. That's what I'm referring to. I do think he wanted to stick it to management. That to me hurts the fans. I knew that you felt differently from earlier. T'is time to move on.

Pats snoozed, so they loosed (or something like that, anyway).

I'd agree.
But this season there is less talent too( still seem thin at WR although I haven't kept up in past few months)...unless BB surprises us all which he does do...except he's got woman problems now and that does not bode well for concentration imo.

Better at TE, less good at WR, but still reasonably solid, and upgraded at Offensive Line (assuming our injured come back) and RB (Maroney). I have no worries about our offensive production this year.

BB -- ridiculously focused. I'm not too worried about "woman problems" either.

jlscorpio
07-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Michael Huff

CupidStunt
07-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Not enough of a run-stopper, IMHO.

More of a myth than anything.

The statistics speak to the contrary.

BIG_DADDY
07-27-2006, 02:19 PM
I gotta go with Peppers or Freeney. Either of those two will make everyone else on our line a little better with the constant double or triple teams they will see.

Peppers

DiaperBoy27
07-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Marcus Stroud or Dwight Freeney (damn you, Carl)

MyChiefConcern
07-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Dwight Freeney, no question.

Mecca
07-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Dwight Freeney, no question.

Peppers>Freeney

Adept Havelock
07-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Shaun Rogers

Ari Chi3fs
07-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Jerry Porter.

penguinz
07-27-2006, 04:10 PM
I choose Ashley B. (http://www.chargers.com/charger_girls/ashley-b.htm) from the chargers.

Ari Chi3fs
07-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Shawn Merriman is gonna be an animal. Id like to have him on our team, and/or Peppers... but we need a WR.

SBK
07-27-2006, 04:56 PM
I'll go with Peppers, but I'll make note that Andre Johnson would be a good one too.

Surprised noboby here has voted for Jesus, I mean Reggie Bush.

banyon
07-27-2006, 05:04 PM
DeAngelo Hall or John Henderson

KCChiefsMan
07-28-2006, 01:18 AM
I would take Peppers first, then freeney, if EK holds out than I would want Larry Fitzgerald just because of the situation at WR.