View Full Version : Royals trying to acquire Ryan Shealy

Marco Polo
07-27-2006, 07:18 AM
The Denver Post is reporting that the Royals have offered Jeremy Affeldt for the power first baseman.

I would LOVE if KC got him. He could be our cornerstone 1B. Go get him DM!

cmh6476
07-27-2006, 07:23 AM
then we'd have a clusterfock at the corner IF positions with him, Teahen, Gordon and Huber.

As long as dayton's got a plan i guess...

DiaperBoy27
07-27-2006, 07:34 AM
then we'd have a clusterfock at the corner IF positions with him, Teahen, Gordon and Huber.

Huber is in the outfield now.

if Teahan's hitting continues, he could move to 1st to make way for Gordon, or vice versa.

Marco Polo
07-27-2006, 08:30 AM
If the Royals can't get Shealy, I'm all for Teahan moving to first. I don't know the exact stats but he seems to have a lot of errors.

BTAU
07-27-2006, 08:42 AM
I'm not that familiar with Ryan Shealy. Do you have a scouting report on him?

Fish
07-27-2006, 08:57 AM
What's up with Ken Harvey's rehab?? Anybody know?

NLU Tailgater
07-27-2006, 09:00 AM
Harvey's just never been the same since he was hit in the back with a relay throw. One of my all-time favorite Royals memories.

CoMoChief
07-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Harvey's just never been the same since he was hit in the back with a relay throw. One of my all-time favorite Royals memories.

MY favorite Ken Harvey memory was when he hit that game winning HR at home (I forget the team we were playing) but IIRC it was either the bottom of the 9th or in extra innings. I think it was buck night or something to where the "K" was rocking that night. That was such a great atmosphere to watch a game and I can only imagine what it would be like if we had a playoff game there.

Demonpenz
07-27-2006, 09:13 AM
MY favorite Ken Harvey memory was when he hit that game winning HR at home (I forget the team we were playing) but IIRC it was either the bottom of the 9th or in extra innings. I think it was buck night or something to where the "K" was rocking that night. That was such a great atmosphere to watch a game and I can only imagine what it would be like if we had a playoff game there.

i was at that game for some reason they threw him a 0-2 slider they started turning out the lights for fireworks when he rounded 3rd base

DJay23
07-27-2006, 09:13 AM
As I recall, a lot of Royals fans on here said most of the 2003 season the K was rockin.

DJay23
07-27-2006, 09:14 AM

The beautiful thing is that being in the AL one of them can DH.

Sully
07-27-2006, 09:17 AM

It was Detroit.
He was down 0-2, and both strikes were questionable (very, in my opinion).

bkkcoh
07-27-2006, 09:42 AM
http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_434626.jpg

Rockies Link (http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=434626)

sedated
07-27-2006, 09:44 AM
my favorite harvey moment was when he got trapped behind the tarp.

and he had a cool swing.

JBucc
07-27-2006, 09:46 AM
my favorite harvey moment was when he got trapped behind the tarp.

and he had a cool swing.It was always fun to watch all the goofy plays he made at first.

jiveturkey
07-27-2006, 09:49 AM

Rockies Link (http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=434626)
That's a big sum bitch.

58-4ever
07-27-2006, 09:49 AM

2 home runs in 99 ABs. Quite the slugger. :shake:

KCGridironBeast
07-27-2006, 09:57 AM
I am a diehard Rockies fan (yes, a few of us exist...) and I can tell you that Shealy would be a very nice pickup for you. Personally, I wish we would trade Todd Helton and let Shealy start, seeing as Helton is struggling, but I'm afraid it might be too late for anyone to want to take on Helton's contract. Still, Shealy is a big guy that can hit for both average and power while not striking out a ton like most big hitters. As for the guy that ridiculed his 2 HR in 91 ABs last season, it was his MAJOR LEAGUE DEBUT, so cut the guy a little slack if he didn't start dominating right away. What you should be focusing on from those 99 AB is the fact that he got 30 hits, good for a .330 average. As he gets used to Major League pitching, he homers will come.

As a Rockies fan living in Kansas City, I'm torn over this deal because I want to see KC get a good first baseman of the future, yet the names being mentioned as going to the Rockies in a deal are less than inspiring...

Marco Polo
07-27-2006, 10:04 AM
CBS Sportsline's take:
Ryan Shealy, Colorado Rockies: We've got the makings of a Ryan Howard/Jim Thome situation in newly pitcher-friendly Colorado. The difference: first base incumbent Todd Helton's contract is so wacko insane -– it includes trade bonuses, escalator clauses for escalator mishaps, etc. -– that the Rockies have little choice but to deal Shealy, the cheap younger dude with savant power. If I'm a going-nowhere franchise like the Royals or Orioles -- and I'm not, as witnessed by my not-entirely-displeasing personal odor -- I do whatever it takes to get him: backflips, eight-way deals in which I add salary, extortion, you name it.

WilliamTheIrish
07-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Do it Dayton.

Eleazar
07-27-2006, 10:32 AM
What's up with Ken Harvey's rehab?? Anybody know?

Yeah, he's still a career minor leaguer.

WilliamTheIrish
07-27-2006, 10:34 AM
My favorite memory of Ken Harvey is watching his fat ass grow larger than the hole in his swing.

Talk about a Hamlin-esque flash in the pan.

Eleazar
07-27-2006, 10:44 AM
My favorite memory of Ken Harvey is watching his fat ass grow larger than the hole in his swing.

Talk about a Hamlin-esque flash in the pan.

What's worse is that he, like Guiel, despite being worthless were fan favorites. One of those affected by the genious idea of playing someone with a batting average 50-100 points lower than someone else because they looked like they were trying harder.

I'm sure if I were carrying around 250lbs I would have to try hard to get to first base too.

DiaperBoy27
07-27-2006, 10:45 AM
I thought affeldt would become a bad-ass as soon as we trade him...but in Colorado? not so much

chiefqueen
07-27-2006, 10:48 AM
I thought we were going to throw Berrora in the deal.

Marco Polo
07-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Colorado is pitcher friendly now. Affeldt could succeed there.

ChiefsFire
07-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Colorado is pitcher friendly now. Affeldt could succeed there.
did they move the walls back and lower the altitude?

chiefqueen
07-27-2006, 11:02 AM
did they move the walls back and lower the altitude?

They reportedly do something with the balls.

Eleazar
07-27-2006, 11:16 AM

If you mean storing the balls in a humidor, they've been doing that for 5 years or so now.

ChiefsFire
07-27-2006, 11:21 AM

only in Colorado or everyplace?

58-4ever
07-27-2006, 11:23 AM
I am a diehard Rockies fan

Sorry about THAT.

Sure-Oz
07-27-2006, 11:35 AM
I hope Colorado is stupid enough to take Affeldt for Shealy....hell throw in Berroa! I would love to get Shealy and add to our "problem" at 1b, 3b etc...the guy is a possible Hafner in the making that plays pretty good defense at 1b and not just a DH type. Helton is the ONLY reason he wasn't called up sooner.

DiaperBoy27
07-27-2006, 11:36 AM
I thought we were going to throw Berrora in the deal.

I'd rather throw him out of an airplane

WilliamTheIrish
07-27-2006, 11:42 AM
I'd rather throw him out of an airplane

Tough to do.

A plane door is the one thing Berroa would hold onto.

tk13
07-27-2006, 12:19 PM
I agree Dayton should keep pushing for Shealy, that would be a good trade. It would create a logjam but we can worry about that later. There aren't too many prospects like him out on the open market. We definitely would have the best young group of hitters in baseball.

FringeNC
07-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Attempting to acquire Shealy suggests that Moore is not going to move Teahen or Gordon to 1st...

If we get Shealy, Teahen will probably be traded. He should fetch a good amount of talent.

Eleazar
07-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Attempting to acquire Shealy suggests that Moore is not going to move Teahen or Gordon to 1st...

If we get Shealy, Teahen will probably be traded. He should fetch a good amount of talent.

Doubtful. Gordon would end up being moved to the outfield.

Marco Polo
07-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Does Gordon or Teahan have any OF experience?

tk13
07-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Does Gordon or Teahan have any OF experience?
Not that I know of. I think Huber could be the odd man out.

Although really, it's also possible we just make Gathright a 4th OF/defensive replacement that plays a lot.

Pitt Gorilla
07-27-2006, 12:47 PM

If we get Shealy, Teahen will probably be traded. He should fetch a good amount of talent.I don't think we trade Teahen.

Sure-Oz
07-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Why couldn't Shealy just be a DH?

Hammock Parties
07-27-2006, 01:21 PM
As I recall, a lot of Royals fans on here said most of the 2003 season the K was rockin.

I was at the game against the Mariners when Beltran robbed a homerun, that place was just about as loud as arrowhead stadium. We had a perfect view of the catch also, watch kick ass. I want baseball to be like that all of the time man, its so much fun to watch when fans are going crazy.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2006, 01:22 PM

Gordon is a good defender, Id suggest moving him to shortstop to get Angel's ass out of here.

Jim Jones
07-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Why couldn't Shealy just be a DH?

Shealy would certainly be DH. I usually say defense at 1B doesn't matter, but Shealy's defense is atrocious. That's one of the many reason s that he's 27 and still hasn't gotten his "big break" in MLB.

DJay23
07-27-2006, 02:17 PM
I was at the game against the Mariners when Beltran robbed a homerun, that place was just about as loud as arrowhead stadium. We had a perfect view of the catch also, watch kick ass. I want baseball to be like that all of the time man, its so much fun to watch when fans are going crazy.
Ironically I was watching that game at my dad's house....in Pennsylvania (my dad buys MLB Extra Innings to watch Royals games, now THAT is a die hard fan). I loved the 03 season. It got me loving baseball again.