PDA

View Full Version : Wanna see my kitchen?

Pages : 1 [2]

TinyEvel
11-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Another thing that might have happened, only if the previous fixture was hanging, and the new one is mounted close to or on the ceiling, the light is now going across the surface, magnifying surface defects, while the old one threw light more towards the ceiling hiding elevation changes.

Dartgod
11-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Its also possible that the NEW fixture is heavier or mounted different that is adding a load to the piece of drywall...OR....I know this is outragious, but maybe it was there the entire time, but the way the previous light lit your room, "hid" this the entire time, or this new light maginfies a pre-existing condition. Another thing that might have happened, only if the previous fixture was hanging, and the new one is mounted close to or on the ceiling, the light is now going across the surface, magnifying surface defects, while the old one threw light more towards the ceiling hiding elevation changes.
In case you missed it...
Okay, we're almost there. All we have left is:

3. Putting in the dining room chandelier.
But you both have a point. Since the lighting has changed in the room, what was possibly never noticed before sticks out like a sore thumb now.

Rain Man
11-08-2006, 12:40 PM
In case you missed it...

But you both have a point. Since the lighting has changed in the room, what was possibly never noticed before sticks out like a sore thumb now.

We've been musing over that, too. The other complicating factor is that we moved the door to the room, so we're seeing the ceiling from the north now, whereas we used to see it from the south. It may show up at this angle, but not at the other (though that seems odd).

It is conceivable that it's been there the whole time, but I'd be surprised. My wife notices things like that so well that she calls Encyclopedia Brown a slacker. I don't think it would have gone unnoticed for seven years.

I'm leaning toward dartgod's theory that the light fixture was supporting it to some extent, and it's now sagging since the light's not there. Even that seems a little odd, though, because I'd expect either a bowing in the middle or a total collapse, as opposed to the whole thing coming down a quarter-inch.

The ceiling is supported not by the joists, but by little metal studs that are hooked to joists. This was done to level out the ceiling. I keep wondering if that could have anything to do with it, but can't see any reason for it.

StcChief
11-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Sounds to me like the old like fixture was holding it up.

The ceiling outlet is NOT on a stud or hanger between studs? Heavier fixture cause the whole sheet to drop???? Wierd.

Put up a big ceiling Medallion?

Rain Man
11-08-2006, 12:50 PM
The ceiling outlet is NOT on a stud or hanger between studs? Heavier fixture cause the whole sheet to drop???? Wierd.

Put up a big ceiling Medallion?

The light fixture was indeed attached to a joist. The new one's not up yet, so we've just got a little bare light bulb in there now. The old fixture was glass and probably weighed 15 pounds.

TinyEvel
11-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Silly question... Have you stood on a chair and tried to push up on the ceiling in various parts of said sagging area to see if there's movement? That would tell you if the sag is new (note: do not try on parts of your spouse! Unless you look good with a black eye)

bronco610
11-09-2006, 01:57 AM
Okay, on the $455 to the granite co. just send the hilarious post you did on the conversations with the sales lady and the granite co. to sat night live or mad tv and charge them a couple thousand for the skit and you come out ahead. I worked for a company that sold granite counter tops and I cant tell you how many times this type of thing occurs and the salesperson charges the customer for their own screw up to save their commission.

ChiefButthurt
11-09-2006, 05:18 AM
Alright, already, cut out the chatter.....recent pics would be nice Mr. Rainman. Our expectations are elevated beyond what you anticipated when the thread was started. Comeon, pics, pics, pics, the suspense is difficult to take.

patteeu
11-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Alright, already, cut out the chatter.....recent pics would be nice Mr. Rainman. Our expectations are elevated beyond what you anticipated when the thread was started. Comeon, pics, pics, pics, the suspense is difficult to take.

Yes, yes. All these words are driving me crazy. We need pictures.

Rain Man
12-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Okay, it's done. Done, done, done. No more hammers, no more hooks. No more plumbers' dirty looks.

Pictures will be arriving soon.

The new chandelier is installed, and it is amazing. I've damaged my corneas staring at it with the lights on.

bogie
12-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Okay, it's done. Done, done, done. No more hammers, no more hooks. No more plumbers' dirty looks.

The new chandelier is installed, and it is amazing. I've damaged my corneas staring at it with the lights on.

Just in time for Christmas. Nice job.

Rain Man
12-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Yeah, we overshot the original finish date of September 13th.

patteeu
12-15-2006, 10:26 PM

Even in the film age they had 1-hour development. What, on Earth, is taking SO LONG!!!! ;)

I hope you are thrilled with the way things have turned out. I'm sure you're thrilled that it's all finished now. Congrats!

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Okey-dokey. This isn't the full complement of pictures, but it's a good overview.

This is the new third-floor bedroom, facing the front of the house.
This used to be the old "map room."

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Here's the same room, but facing the opposite direction. You can see the new closets, for which we used bamboo curtains instead of closet doors, and you can also see one of the octagonal windows that overlooks the new third-floor balcony. You can also see my pants.

Lzen
12-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Here's the same room, but facing the opposite direction. You can see the new closets, for which we used bamboo curtains instead of closet doors, and you can also see one of the octagonal windows that overlooks the new third-floor balcony. You can also see my pants.

This post is useless without pics.

Phobia
12-20-2006, 01:42 PM
Just get to the kitchen. Nobody wants to see your bedroom.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Check out the awesome ceiling fan. I love this ceiling fan. It's very Sputnikish.

And by the way, my wife and I are the beautiful people in the baby pictures on the dresser.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Just get to the kitchen. Nobody wants to see your bedroom.

Man, if I had a dollar for every time I heard that sentence...

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Here's the view of the new balcony, kind of. The rails were the last part of the entire remodel.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Here's what the balcony looks like from the back alley. Those aren't my shoes.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Here's a better view. Note the apricot garage. That was actually my wife's idea.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Here's the third-floor bathroom, which we did in jetstream blue with white trim.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 01:55 PM
We got some amazing lights on the third floor. You can see a couple of them in the alcove in the very first picture, and they're also our stairwell lights. Here's what they look like when they're off.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 01:56 PM
But then when you turn them on....voila! They turn all the colors of the rainbow, in brilliant neon hues. This photo doesn't do them justice.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:00 PM
And now we go down to the second floor. Here's the stairwell. I gotta get that picture hung.

The stairwells on the back of the house are kind of cool, because they all do a 180 turn. From the basement to the first floor, first to second, and second to third, it's a pretty big run of stairs that makes you do three 360s.

JimNasium
12-20-2006, 02:01 PM
How do you get to the balcony? I can't remember how that third floor was laid out before.

Dartgod
12-20-2006, 02:01 PM
We got some amazing lights on the third floor. You can see a couple of them in the alcove in the very first picture, and they're also our stairwell lights. Here's what they look like when they're off.
I can see your reflection on the shade. Thank God you had clothes on.

JimNasium
12-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Do the windows in the first picture face the street?

cdcox
12-20-2006, 02:02 PM
And by the way, my wife and I are the beautiful people in the baby pictures on the dresser.

Wow, your picture looks like it was taken about 50 years ago. Your wife's looks more recent.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:04 PM
How do you get to the balcony? I can't remember how that third floor was laid out before.

When you went up the back steps, the old layout had the blue bathroom on the right, and then there was a closet and a wall to the left. The closet and wall are now gone, replaced by a glass door and two octagonal windows. It worked out very nice.

Rain Man
I can see your reflection on the shade. Thank God you had clothes on.

Man, what are the odds of that?

Rain Man
Do the windows in the first picture face the street?

Yup.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Wow, your picture looks like it was taken about 50 years ago. Your wife's looks more recent.

43! I'm 43! And a young and vital 43!

JimNasium
12-20-2006, 02:06 PM
When you went up the back steps, the old layout had the blue bathroom on the right, and then there was a closet and a wall to the left. The closet and wall are now gone, replaced by a glass door and two octagonal windows. It worked out very nice.
I see, so the doors to the balcony are at the top of the stairs. Very nice Kevin! When do we get to see the kitchen?

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:07 PM
The main room on the second floor is the new TV room, formerly the master bedroom. Here's the view facing west, toward the front of the house. (This room is actually on the back of the house.)

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:07 PM
I see, so the doors to the balcony are at the top of the stairs. Very nice Kevin! When do we get to see the kitchen?

Exactly.

I'm working my way down the stairs.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Here's a view the other way. This room was once two rooms, a bedroom and maid's quarters, so it's pretty good-sized.

ChiefButthurt
12-20-2006, 02:09 PM

Are your legs really that short? OR are your pants folded up? Sorry, I'll try to stay focused. More pics please.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:10 PM
At some point, we'll do the big-screen TV in this room, but I'm in no hurry at the moment.

Here's some art in the back of the room, a painting by a fun local artist and a symbolic representation of our cats leaping onto their cat tree.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Are your legs really that short? OR are your pants folded up? Sorry, I'll try to stay focused. More pics please.

I usually go with knickers.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Here's the main bathroom. I love this sink. Love it. The lights are reproduction antiques, and tub (not shown) is an actual antique that we bought for the house.

ChiefButthurt
Hot damn...I wonder if I'll get to 500 posts before January? When I signed up for the Chiefs Planet, I made myself promise that I wouldn't be a post whore. I'm starting to wonder now.

Dartgod
Here's a view the other way. This room was once two rooms, a bedroom and maid's quarters, so it's pretty good-sized.
You had a maid?

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:13 PM
You had a maid?

Someone had a maid. I have cats.

ChiefButthurt
12-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Here's the main bathroom. I love this sink. Love it. The lights are reproduction antiques, and tub (not shown) is an actual antique that we bought for the house.

Now we're talking. That's a nice bathroom. I like the built-in shelves and the elevated sink thingy.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Here's a peek into my home office, which isn't yet completely unpacked. Any time I go overseas, I put a photo from the trip up on that ring of photos near the ceiling. (In one case, I count Texas as a foreign country, though.) The walls are Stuart Gold, as befits my dignity.

cdcox
12-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Do you love the sink for its functionality or its appearance? I like the way those sinks look, but I didn't know if I'd like to use one like that.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Now we're talking. That's a nice bathroom. I like the built-in shelves and the elevated sink thingy.

The shelves and whole sink area were once parts of two closet, but the shelf area was an odd small walk-in closet with a door that opened in, so you couldn't put anything in it. We tore it out and put the sink back there, and after a lot of puzzling about what to do about the area next to the chimney, we discovered that shelves would work perfectly.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Do you love the sink for its functionality or its appearance? I like the way those sinks look, but I didn't know if I'd like to use one like that.

It's actually pretty nice to use, but the only problem is that you have to have a tall faucet to make it work. The faucet we bought is actually a kitchen faucet, and since it swivels, you can actually swivel it too far and start letting water flow directly onto the countertop. As adults, we don't really have a problem with that, but it could be a disaster with kids.

The sink is durable, too. We bought it about 7 years ago when it was one of the first of its kind on the market, and it looks just as good today as when we bought it.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:21 PM
This used to be our TV room, and is now our guest room. Color: adobe dust.

There's supposed to be a sleeper sofa in here, but it was delivered last Sunday and they couldn't fit it through the doorway. So it's empty at the moment.

Phobia
12-20-2006, 02:22 PM

Looks like that ceiling is all jacked up.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Here's the hallway that links all of the second-floor rooms. It's a key lime pie green, albeit a shade or two lighter. We just put in the track lights, which are quite cool in my opinion.

The photos are our ancestor wall. We started with our wedding photo in the middle of the wall and then started adding photos of direct ancestors in all directions. The longest unbroken string is six generations, from me to two of my great-great-great grandfathers.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Looks like that ceiling is all jacked up.

Dear lord, don't say anything to my wife or I'll have to move all that furniture out again.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Okay, and now down to the first floor. Here's the view if you look straight in from the front door. We had to take the staircase completely apart about 7 years ago to remove the paint from it. Every piece of wood on the first floor was painted other than the floor and the stair pads. We've brought it all back to wood.

We found the Egyptian guy at an antique store. We've named him Roy, the God of Commerce.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Uh-oh. The wife wants to shut down the office and go home. There's a blizzard here, and nothing's going on.

Thirty minute commute-through-the-blizzard break, and then I'll continue posting the rest of the first floor.

SPchief
12-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Its been 30 minutes. I wonder if Kevin is still alive?

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Okay, the blizzard break is over. Here's our living room as viewed from the front door.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 03:47 PM
And here's the living room viewed toward the front door (which is to the left). You can see in the upper left an unusual design feature: the room above the entryway is partially cantilevered. There's no support for the back corner of it. The structural engineer on one of the remodel projects found that quite interesting.

At one point in the house's history when stained-glass wasn't popular, someone actually drywalled over the stained-glass window at the foot of the stairs. We had to have new framing made for it.

I have a burnt-out light in the foyer. Darn it.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 03:49 PM
The front wall of the living room, just so people know that we do have a couch.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 03:53 PM
And now we head into the dining room. Here's the view from the living room. The new chandelier, which is quite bitchin', is seen. It's not really gold - it's a bright, bright white, but I've got the dimmer on in this picture to keep it from messing up the photo.

Donger
12-20-2006, 03:55 PM
And here's the living room viewed toward the front door (which is to the left). You can see in the upper left an unusual design feature: the room above the entryway is partially cantilevered. There's no support for the back corner of it. The structural engineer on one of the remodel projects found that quite interesting.

At one point in the house's history when stained-glass wasn't popular, someone actually drywalled over the stained-glass window at the foot of the stairs. We had to have new framing made for it.

I have a burnt-out light in the foyer. Darn it.

I've always wanted one of those little rooms under the stairs. Must be very convenient for storing runaways.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Here's another view with the light cranked up.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 03:56 PM
I've always wanted one of those little rooms under the stairs. Must be very convenient for storing runaways.

It's a good short-term solution. Long-term, I use the old photographic dark room in the basement.

Count Zarth
12-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Rain Man's house sort of reminds me of Myst.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Here's a closeup of the light. This thing was worth the wait. It's astounding.

Donger
12-20-2006, 03:58 PM
It's a good short-term solution. Long-term, I use the old photographic dark room in the basement.

Excellent! Does it have one of those sliding circular doors like some darkrooms? That would confuse them even more. That would help getting the gruel in, too.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Rain Man's house sort of reminds me of Myst.

Is that good or bad? I've never played it.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Excellent! Does it have one of those sliding circular doors like some darkrooms? That would confuse them even more. That would help getting the gruel in, too.

I wish.

Donger
12-20-2006, 04:00 PM
I wish.

And I deliver...

http://www.pnwx.com/Accessories/Darkroom/Doors/Revolving/?Sr=Go&gclid=CNDVru6SookCFRGASAodgGByMQ

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Our dining room is very long and narrow, so we've got a sitting area at one end, shown here.

It's too bad that I got some glare, because the picture over the fireplace is way cool. It's an 1880s hand-colored print of a renaissance-era court scene. We put an emphasis light in the ceiling, so if you shut off all the lights and then shine that one on the painting, it's awesome.

The sconce lights are original, but the cherubs beneath them were our addition. The one on the right has not yet been put up, because I had a nail problem.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 04:04 PM
If you're sitting in the dining room sitting area, you can now see into the kitchen. This archway didn't exist before the remodel. We closed off an existing door on the other side of the room and added this arch so we could put in the breakfast peninsula.

Please pardon the paint cans in the window, as we're still getting the final touchups done.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Our kitchen is actually not that large. We went with semi-custom cherry cabinets and granite countertops, the latter of which will be shown in an upcoming closeup.

Our big decision was whether to go with one level of upper cabinets or two, putting the display level at the top. I'm glad we put the extra level in.

Our appliances are relatively basic, because we couldn't justify a need for the fancy ones. We don't do a lot of really involved stuff in the kitchen.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Here's the kitchen from the other direction. The doorway on the left goes down to the basement, and the doorway on the right is the old maid's stairs going to the second floor.

We put a 32" HDTV up on the wall. The HD box is underneath it, and we're still missing a little cabinet for it to go in, so that part looks a little rough right now.

I can't remember the term for the paint, but it's a two-tone layered paint. It looks pretty good in person, but it doesn't photograph well at all.

SPchief
12-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Finally we get to see the kitchen.

Phobia
12-20-2006, 04:15 PM
I like what they did. It looks like some quality work. I hope it will bring you many, many years of enjoyment. I'll bet you're incredibly happy to have the construction over with.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 04:19 PM
The granite is cool, even if I did have to battle the forces of evil to get it. It's an exotic Brazilian variegated material, and it's got tons of color. Some parts of it include a translucent black quartz that's really cool - kind of three-dimensional.

DaFace
12-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Any pics of the infamous backsplashes?

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Here's a bigger view of the granite. The small picture doesn't quite do it justice.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Backsplashes coming up. We went with an irregular backsplash to give the kitchen that rugged Colorado look. If you look closely, you'll see a few spots on them that are almost perfectly round, and that's where the dynamite was inserted to get the granite quarried.

I also show the lights lit up on the display cabinets, and the itty-bitty chandeliers that hang over our breakfast bar.

Phobia
12-20-2006, 04:27 PM
That bubblegum machine really makes that granite pop. Nice.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Last but not least, we did a lot of landscaping as part of this project, too, adding a patio and doing a lot of xeriscaping. This photo shows part of the patio. That's my wife at the garage door.

We got the front yard plants installed, but weren't able to get the back yard plants installed in time, so the back yard is a little bare right now. Also, we have to completely tear down and replace a two-story deck on the back of the house, and haven't even got any bids on that yet. It'll probably end up being a Spring project, which is a bummer.

Behind the barbecue is The Rock of Lies and Deception.

Count Zarth
12-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Is that good or bad? I've never played it.

It's good. Myst is full of pretty architecture.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 04:32 PM
That bubblegum machine really makes that granite pop. Nice.

Sometimes it's the accessories that really finish the look, wouldn't you agree?

SPchief
12-20-2006, 04:36 PM

Where is it? I don't see it. WHERE IS THE GIANT BOULDER

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 04:40 PM
I like what they did. It looks like some quality work. I hope it will bring you many, many years of enjoyment. I'll bet you're incredibly happy to have the construction over with.

Thanks. We're very happy with it. The contractor was very quality-conscious, which is important since my wife has pretty discriminating tastes.

Overall, I would give the following grades:

A+ - Cabinetmakers. Did a great job, kept their promised price, and were flexible when we ran into a couple of design problems. It might go down to an A if we don't get that last little cabinet soon, but overall they were great.

A - Drywallers. This was the area that made us nervous, because the drywallers on our last big remodel were really, really bad. These guys were great - very neat and very high quality.

A- - General contractor. Would've been an A, except they ran way behind schedule and were very tardy in giving us pricing on change orders.

C - Electricians. Decent work, but they were very messy and made every hole slightly to big to cover without a drywall repair. The contractor handled that, though.

N/A - Plumbers - Work got done, and the general contractor handled all of it. I guess it was fine, but don't know.

D - HVAC/Sheet Metal guys - Got partway through the job and then left for a month. As a result, I think we may have ended up with a chemical stain on our brick, because they didn't get the outside gutter put up for months. This is bad.

D - Architect - I've told this story before. In the last weeks of the project, she corrected a problem with some materials she recommended without fighting us, so it brought her up from an F. Also, she recommended the general contractor and cabinet firm.

F - Never finished the job, and demanded final payment. We gave them all but $1,000 and told them we'd pay the rest when they finished it up. They kept demanding payment, and we finally hired someone else to finish the work, which cost us $1,400. (Actually, we decided not to do the whole thing, but that was the bid.) They kept sending us threatening letters, and even threatened to put a lien on the house. We finally informed them that they owed us $400 and demanded payment, and they stopped messing with us.

F - Granite company - I hope they rot in hell.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Where is it? I don't see it. WHERE IS THE GIANT BOULDER

:banghead:

See the landscaper grade.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Last but not least, here's the cat door. It's a double-door, and is very nice. I forgot to take a picture of the little tiny flight of stairs that leads up to it, because it's about five feet above the basement floor.

One of our cats loves it, and the other one can't seem to figure out how it works.

Above the door is the stuff that looks like a chemical stain. The contractor added the drain to the third-floor balcony, and then the sheet metal guys took almost three months to come and add the gutters, despite our constant reminding. Meanwhile, they did the waterproofing of the balcony, and my theory is that some of the chemicals went down the drain and stained the brick. We're really not very happy about it.

Phobia, what would you do in this situation as the contractor? I don't want to ask them to do some sort of bleach or anything else that could damage the brick, but it'd sure be nice to not have that stain.

The foreman's theory is that the brick just got soaked when water went down the drain, and he said that it would eventually dry out. However, it's been a month or more now since the gutter was installed and it's not any better.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Ta-daaaaaa! (Takes a bow.)

That's it. I'm very pleased and proud of how it's turned out.

Phobia
12-20-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm guessing a very light power wash will clean that brick. You can pick up a very cheap power washer for under $100 at any home improvement center or you can hire a reputable professional. It shouldn't cost too much since it's a fairly small area.

Bill Parcells
12-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Last but not least, we did a lot of landscaping as part of this project, too, adding a patio and doing a lot of xeriscaping. This photo shows part of the patio. That's my wife at the garage door.

We got the front yard plants installed, but weren't able to get the back yard plants installed in time, so the back yard is a little bare right now. Also, we have to completely tear down and replace a two-story deck on the back of the house, and haven't even got any bids on that yet. It'll probably end up being a Spring project, which is a bummer.

My company
http://www.growing-concern.com/

PM me if you ever want landscaping advice..I don't know about pricing out there in Colorado..but I do know specs..

chefsos
12-20-2006, 05:33 PM
My company
http://www.growing-concern.com/

PM me if you ever want landscaping advice..I don't know about pricing out there in Colorado..but I do know specs..
I don't know, but if I were him, I'd be more interested in your snow removal sevices right about now. Those plows ain't getting much done here in the east anyway...

rad
12-20-2006, 05:44 PM

Why you hatin' on the granite company?

Bill Parcells
12-20-2006, 05:46 PM
I don't know, but if I were him, I'd be more interested in your snow removal sevices right about now. Those plows ain't getting much done here in the east anyway...
Lets keep it that way....I only want snow after the super bowl is over;)

DaFace
12-20-2006, 06:09 PM

Why you hatin' on the granite company?

Read this thread starting with post #153.

rad
12-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Read this thread starting with post #153.

That's what I get for not reading back far enough.

Thanks.

Nice backsplashes, Rainman.

BucEyedPea
12-20-2006, 06:54 PM
I can't remember the term for the paint, but it's a two-tone layered paint. It looks pretty good in person, but it doesn't photograph well at all.
Would it be any of these:

Sponging on/Sponging off

Ragging on/Ragging off

Frottage

Colorwashing is three colors

Love the kitchen!!!

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Would it be any of these:

Sponging on/Sponging off

Ragging on/Ragging off

Frottage

Colorwashing is three colors

Love the kitchen!!!

Ragging, I think. I know that we painted it one solid color, and then my wife went back with a different color and kind of smeared it on with a rag.

And thanks. We like it.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 08:02 PM

That's what I get for not reading back far enough.

Thanks.

Nice backsplashes, Rainman.

We love the backsplashes, despite the problems. The house is now officially our Fortress of Solitude.

Count Zarth
12-20-2006, 08:10 PM
The house is now officially our Fortress of Solitude.

But, aren't there two of you? Also, does your house come with instructional crystals?

Phobia
12-20-2006, 08:13 PM
There are aren't there are two of them. If I understood correctly.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Fortress of Duality?

stevieray
12-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Ragging, I think. I know that we painted it one solid color, and then my wife went back with a different color and kind of smeared it on with a rag.

And thanks. We like it.

faux painting....and yes, I can confirm that these pictures of Kevins house are legitimate....even down to the old salmon tv room.

speaking of faux, your entry, living room and dining area is crying for a one color wash..

nice job though...congrats to you and the mr's...it's a great house.

Rain Man
12-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Faux! That's what my wife was calling it.

Oucho Cinco
12-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Yeah. I've obsessed over this all afternoon because I'm so ragingly angrily furiously annoyed, and there were four screwups. The first was not giving me complete pricing in the first place. The second was acting like they didn't screw up in the first place. The third was not correcting the order. The fourth was not acknowledging that they didn't correct the order. If they made a mistake and it costs me more, I can deal with that as long as I'm convinced that it was an honest mistake. The part that continues to chafe me is the fact that they still can't get the order right, and are still unapologetic about it.

Backcharge them for the time you spent attempting to correct their error. Be sure to make it more than the $445 that they want. Then after they refuse to make things right, find a lawyer and sue them for the total price of the granite and installation.

After the charge is placed on your credit card, dispute the charge as it is bogus.

wilas101
12-20-2006, 09:11 PM
The place looks great RM. Glad it worked out well.

ChiefButthurt
12-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Wow Rainman....very nice house and congrats on staying sane throughout the process. Thanks for sharing.

cdcox
12-21-2006, 10:59 AM
It all came out very nice. You guys do a good job of mixing the traditional with the eclectic. Makes for an interesting house. And yes, thanks for sharing. Would love to see before and after pics of any other remodels people are doing.

Fat Elvis
12-21-2006, 11:04 AM
At some point, we'll do the big-screen TV in this room, but I'm in no hurry at the moment.

Here's some art in the back of the room, a painting by a fun local artist and a symbolic representation of our cats leaping onto their cat tree.

Curtainrods from Target? We have some just like those in Antique Bronze from Target....

Rain Man
12-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the compliments, everyone. We're pleased with it, and as cdcox said, we're happy with how we managed to marry the tradition of the home with some other things that were a little more avant garde.

And yeah, Fat Elvis, I think most or all of the second-floor curtain rods are from Target. We liked their stuff better than the stuff we had seen at the curtain store, and it was about a third of the price.

I must say, though, that I'm a particularly big fan of the "curtain rod" on the third floor (Post 264 - barely visible). I don't know where the wife bought it, but it's essentially a wire with some chrome holders. The rings that hold the curtains clip onto the curtains, so it's easy to use and it looks really cool.

patteeu
12-22-2006, 09:46 AM
I really like what you did, Rain Man! Those multi-colored lights are way cool, but the kitchen is the best! Everything looks like it turned out real well.

stevieray
12-22-2006, 09:59 AM
It all came out very nice. You guys do a good job of mixing the traditional with the eclectic. Makes for an interesting house. And yes, thanks for sharing. Would love to see before and after pics of any other remodels people are doing.

yup, an old and new mix never goes out of style.

they also have a good and diverse collection of original artwork, which never hurts.

NewChief
12-22-2006, 10:04 AM

I've got a pretty massive DIY bathroom remodel going on at the moment. I took before pictures and process pics. The after probably won't be for another month or so. Once they're all done, I'll post them up. That is, if my wife doesn't kill me before I get finished.

Phobia
12-22-2006, 11:01 AM
I've got a pretty massive DIY bathroom remodel going on at the moment. I took before pictures and process pics. The after probably won't be for another month or so. Once they're all done, I'll post them up. That is, if my wife doesn't kill me before I get finished.

Since August I've been doing my entire house. Seriously. I've done 3 bathrooms and a minor remodel (more like an updating) on our small kitchen. I did a total overhaul of the big kitchen and the master bathroom. I'm 75% done with the big kitchen and I should have the master bathroom complete before the end of the year. You guys wouldn't believe the before and after pics on this house.

NewChief
12-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Since August I've been doing my entire house. Seriously. I've done 3 bathrooms and a minor remodel (more like an updating) on our small kitchen. I did a total overhaul of the big kitchen and the master bathroom. I'm 75% done with the big kitchen and I should have the master bathroom complete before the end of the year. You guys wouldn't believe the before and after pics on this house.

I just wish I had more time to work on it. Whenever I get a full, uninterrupted day to get stuff done, I get a lot done. Unfortunately, during the Fall, those days are few and far between. Thankfully I should have some days coming up after the New Years.

Anyway, the before and after on mine will be dramatic. The DURING pictures will be the most dramatic, though. Nothing like demolishing a whole bathroom, including ripping up the subfloor, to show dramatic change.

Rain Man
12-22-2006, 11:27 AM
I'd be interested in seeing any before and after pictures on either project.

NewChief
12-22-2006, 11:30 AM
I'd be interested in seeing any before and after pictures on either project.

I could put up some before and during pictures, but after seeing all the anticipation yours started and the resulting pressure, I'm going to hold off. My wife is enough pressure. The last thing I need right now is to wake up every morning for my morning coffee/Planet perusal and find my "home renovation" thread bumped yet again with people saying, "ANY PROGRESS YET?>!"

Rain Man
12-22-2006, 11:36 AM
I could put up some before and during pictures, but after seeing all the anticipation yours started and the resulting pressure, I'm going to hold off. My wife is enough pressure. The last thing I need right now is to wake up every morning for my morning coffee/Planet perusal and find my "home renovation" thread bumped yet again with people saying, "ANY PROGRESS YET?>!"

How are those 'before' pictures coming along? Any updates for us?

Phobia
12-22-2006, 11:46 AM
I just wish I had more time to work on it. Whenever I get a full, uninterrupted day to get stuff done, I get a lot done. Unfortunately, during the Fall, those days are few and far between. Thankfully I should have some days coming up after the New Years.

Anyway, the before and after on mine will be dramatic. The DURING pictures will be the most dramatic, though. Nothing like demolishing a whole bathroom, including ripping up the subfloor, to show dramatic change.

I have plenty of time, I sometimes have trouble getting motivated to do this stuff by my lonesome. I'm used to having guys working with me and kinda directing traffic. For my own home, I can't really afford the help so I've taken several months off to do it myself. Sometimes I'll get up and not get a whole lot done in a day - that gets pretty frustrating for everybody. I work a lot better on a team.

ptlyon
12-22-2006, 11:49 AM
I have plenty of time, I sometimes have trouble getting motivated to do this stuff by my lonesome. I'm used to having guys working with me and kinda directing traffic. For my own home, I can't really afford the help so I've taken several months off to do it myself. Sometimes I'll get up and not get a whole lot done in a day - that gets pretty frustrating for everybody. I work a lot better on a team.

"Phobia - get me some more coffee."

"Phobia - peel me a grape."

"Phobia - hit the ****ing grey thing in the middle."

patteeu
12-22-2006, 11:49 AM

LOL You'll never make it to Rain-Man-like internet legend status if you can't take the pressure from your fans. :p

NewChief
12-22-2006, 11:50 AM

I know that feeling as well. I also have a lot more confidence when I have someone there to just nod their head and say, "Yeah, that'll work." I usually know what needs to be done, and I have a good idea of how to do it, but sometimes it just helps to have someone else there to affirm it. Luckily, I have two brothers in construction that have helped out some. I also have a best friend who has a house, and we do swap days on our houses.

ptlyon
12-22-2006, 11:51 AM
I also have a best friend who has a house, and we do swap days on our houses.

Swingin Baby!

NewChief
12-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Swingin Baby!

Houses, not wives... though now that you mention it his is pretty hot :hmmm:

(just kidding, honey, if this is one of those days you're reading the Planet instead of working).