PDA

View Full Version : Cheating Donx lose appeal

Stinger
07-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Broncos punter Sauerbrun loses suspension appeal

DENVER -- Todd Sauerbrun says he's the victim of bad timing and his own foolishness.

The Denver Broncos' punter lost his appeal this week of his four-game suspension for using the banned dietary supplement ephedra in a misguided attempt to lose weight and gain gusto for his workouts.

"I told him that I was very disappointed in him," coach Mike Shanahan said Thursday as the Broncos gathered for training camp. "We took a chance on him. Of all the things, ephedra! What it does is make you lose weight. He's the only guy on the team which I don't care if he's fat. I don't care if he's 30 pounds overweight. All you've got to do is punt the ball. Kick it into the end zone."

Sauerbrun, who was fined by his previous employer, the Carolina Panthers, for eating too much, worries about his weight all the time.

Well, I care if I'm fat," said Sauerbrun, who packs 215 pounds on his beefy 5-foot-10 frame. "I always want to be in the best shape I can. ... And it kind of backfired on me."

The 12-year veteran said he knowingly took an over-the-counter weight loss product this summer that he strongly suspected contained ephedra, which the NFL banned after the death of Minnesota Vikings offensive tackle Korey Stringer during training camp in 2001. Players are randomly tested and can be suspended after the first violation.

"I wanted to be up for my workout," Sauerbrun said. "It's not steroids. Every one of you guys probably had it at one time or another. And all it does is wake you up, get you ready for your workout. I just wanted to be in the best shape I could when I got here, and that's what they're getting me for."

Sauerbrun said he knew the supplement would leave his system within 36 hours. Trouble is, a member of the league's anti-doping squad knocked on his door at 8 a.m. the next day for a urine sample and he knew he was busted.

"It was just a bad timing thing and a bad decision," Sauerbrun said.

And he said he didn't realize he'd be suspended for a first-time offense: "That's pretty harsh if you ask me. It's not steroids."

Sauerbrun said he suspects, however, that the league is keeping a closer eye on him after his name came up in the steroid scandal in South Carolina last year: "Absolutely, I'm sure it all stems back to that."

Dr. James Shortt was sentenced this month to one year and one day in prison after admitting he conspired to illegally prescribe anabolic steroids and human growth hormone to NFL players. Federal prosecutors have said they have audio-taped conversations between Shortt and Sauerbrun as well as other Panthers players.

By the time reports linked him to Shortt, Carolina was looking to trade Sauerbrun after a series of on- and off-field distractions, including a drunken driving arrest and fines for being overweight.

Sauerbrun's acquisition last season helped the Broncos turn field position in their favor -- he averaged nearly 44 yards a punt -- and he was quickly welcomed in the locker room.

He said he feels bad for letting down the team, which will have to face St. Louis, Kansas City, New England and Baltimore in September without him.

"It completely [stinks]," Sauerbrun said. "This is just not cool. I'm going to not be around my guys in the locker room and that's what I cherish most of all. We've got a great bunch of guys around here and I'm going to miss that month. Other than that, I'm pretty sick about it."

Sauerbrun, who also kicks off, is allowed to attend training camp and can punt in the preseason. But he won't be allowed around the team during his suspension, which will cost him $328,000 of his $1.395 million salary next season.

It could also cost him a shot at a lucrative extension with the Broncos after this season.

Vying for the starting job during Sauerbrun's suspension will be second-year pro Paul Ernster, who tore a ligament in his right (kicking) knee last September when he was on the Broncos' practice squad, and free agent Micah Knorr, who played for Denver from 2002-04 and re-signed with the team on Thursday.

Sauerbrun said he especially regrets letting down Shanahan, who gave him a fresh start last year.

"I'm disgusted about it," he said. "The only thing I can say is it will never happen again. My goal here is not for things like this to happen. I want to help these guys, not hurt them."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2531882 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2531882)

OnTheWarpath58
07-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Right, Todd.

And Barry Bonds thought "The Clear" was flaxseed oil.

Please.

:rolleyes:

cdcox
07-27-2006, 09:22 PM
So their players were juicing during their playoff victory? *

Donger
07-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Is this an Onion article?

Stinger
07-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Is this an Onion article?

Um no ... hence the link to ESPN at the end of the article :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2531882 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2531882)

Consistent1
07-27-2006, 09:46 PM
It is so dumb that ephedrine or ephedra is even any kind of an issue. What does suck is that it is getting so hard to buy the stuff without getting a bunch of shit like you are making meth or something. The Broncos don't "cheat" any more than the Chiefs, or any other team. I assume that most of you guys have some education, what is so hard to understand about this?

Donger
07-27-2006, 09:48 PM
It is so dumb that ephedrine or ephedra is even any kind of an issue. What does suck is that it is getting so hard to buy the stuff without getting a bunch of shit like you are making meth or something. The Broncos don't "cheat" any more than the Chiefs, or any other team. I assume that most of you guys have some education, what is so hard to understand about this?

You might want to duck at this point.

Fish
07-27-2006, 09:49 PM

cdcox
07-27-2006, 09:49 PM

Roid user and a donk fan, huh?

Consistent1
07-27-2006, 09:51 PM
You might want to duck at this point.

Why, because I know what I am talking about? All the drug shit is just an excuse. Just like I said in the Floyd Landis thread, the playing field is even.

SPchief
07-27-2006, 09:51 PM

Vasilene ring any bells?

How about they "circumvented" the salary cap.

You're right, ALL teams do this

Consistent1
07-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Roid user and a donk fan, huh?

I am not a Denver fan, but I do have first hand experience with steroids...no reason to lie about it, I don't have millions on the line like these guys do..

OnTheWarpath58
07-27-2006, 09:55 PM

Obviously you have zero education because you don't seem to understand.

a) As "dumb" as you seem to think it is, the NFL has rules.

b) Sauerbrun knowingly and admittedly broke the rule.

c) Got caught.

d) Serves his time. Whining all the way.

Don't think for a second that the instant the Warfield suspension was handed down last year, that someone over at the Mane didn't post something similar to this.

Guru
07-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Right, Todd.

And Barry Bonds thought "The Clear" was flaxseed oil.

Please.

:rolleyes:

What about "The Cream"? :hmmm:

Consistent1
07-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Obviously you have zero education because you don't seem to understand.

a) As "dumb" as you seem to think it is, the NFL has rules.

b) Sauerbrun knowingly and admittedly broke the rule.

c) Got caught.

d) Serves his time. Whining all the way.

Don't think for a second that the instant the Warfield suspension was handed down last year, that someone over at the Mane didn't post something similar to this.

Sure, but do you guys really think ephedrine really matters that much? There is so much money involved, glory, etc. Haven't you ever seen those surveys where they ask athletes if they would cut x amount of years off their life to win a gold medal, etc? The Chiefs "cheat" just like everybody else does, bottom line...

OnTheWarpath58
07-27-2006, 10:05 PM
What about "The Cream"? :hmmm:

Hold on....let me grab my copy of "Game of Shadows".....

Pain reliever.......

Guess it would've been too hard to swallow a couple of Advil......

Fish
07-27-2006, 10:06 PM
The Chiefs "cheat" just like everybody else does, bottom line...

Link?

Cause I'm pretty sure we can provide links to the Bronco's known violations....

Enter Evidence A (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20040917/ai_n11477595)

Gaz
07-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Sure, but do you guys really think ephedrine really matters that much? There is so much money involved, glory, etc. Haven't you ever seen those surveys where they ask athletes if they would cut x amount of years off their life to win a gold medal, etc? The Chiefs "cheat" just like everybody else does, bottom line...

Ah, the “everybody does it, therefore it is okay defense.”

Lame as can be.

xoxo~
Gaz
Knew it was only a matter of time before this dead horse made an appearance.

Garcia Bronco
07-27-2006, 10:09 PM
LOL at the title

Consistent1
07-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Ah, the “everybody does it, therefore it is okay defense.”

Lame as can be.

xoxo~
Gaz
Knew it was only a matter of time before this dead horse made an appearance.

Guys, you can shoot the messenger, but you have to be real about this. Denver is irritaiting in their own little way, but the whole damn league is doing the same thing. Is it o.k.? I don't know, not for me to decide....

Stinger
07-27-2006, 10:12 PM
LOL at the title

:D

Garcia Bronco
07-27-2006, 10:14 PM
I mean he broke the rules and got caught...he didn't eat the wrong sandwich by mistake

Rausch
07-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Ephedra can be dangerous. It's an herbal supplement and there's no idea how much of the active agent is in each pill. Plus each brand uses different amounts of the stuff.

Is ephedrine (expectorant, bronchial/asthma medication) illegal? I'm sure Bettis used that plenty over the years and you sure as $#it can't accuse him of trying to drop weight...

Fish
07-27-2006, 10:15 PM
the whole damn league is doing the same thing. Is it o.k.? I don't know, not for me to decide....

The whole damn league is not taking ephedra. They test players other than Denver punters for this shit too.

OnTheWarpath58
07-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Guys, you can shoot the messenger, but you have to be real about this. Denver is irritaiting in their own little way, but the whole damn league is doing the same thing. Is it o.k.? I don't know, not for me to decide....

Everyone does it?

So we should expect another 1500 suspensions tomorrow?

Tags is gonna be busy in his final weeks.......

Gaz
07-27-2006, 10:20 PM

It’s “not for you to decide,” yet you were confident enough to claim that the Chiefs were as dirty as the Broncos…

xoxo~
Gaz
Infers that a decision has already been reached.

Garcia Bronco
07-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Don't kid yourselves...there is nothing wrong with Ephedra....there is something wrong with abusing it...just like a lot of things ....just like that dummy lineman that took to much and didn't have the sense to drink enough water in the hot summer sun...I know that's harsh...but

"The kid who who eats too many marbles doesn't grow up to have kids of his own."

-Carlin

Rausch
07-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Don't kid yourselves...there is nothing wrong with Ephedra....there is something wrong with abusing it...

There was definitely a problem.

It would be like buying a beer but not knowing if it was 5.2% or 18%.

Now, if you're talking about Ephedrine I'd agree...

Fish
07-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Don't kid yourselves...there is nothing wrong with Ephedra....

.....except that it violates the NFL's banned substances policy....

Just sayin.....

OnTheWarpath58
07-27-2006, 10:30 PM

Just sayin.....

ROFL

Garcia Bronco
07-27-2006, 10:30 PM

Just sayin.....

Yep...and that's why he's gotten himself 4 weeks off

Consistent1
07-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Ephedra can be dangerous. It's an herbal supplement and there's no idea how much of the active agent is in each pill. Plus each brand uses different amounts of the stuff.

Is ephedrine (expectorant, bronchial/asthma medication) illegal? I'm sure Bettis used that plenty over the years and you sure as $#it can't accuse him of trying to drop weight...

There really isn't much difference between ephedrine HCL and ephedra when it comes down to it. They both work well, and really have little risk. There were a bunch of good ephedra supplements out there that were well regulated and consistent in nature. It is also legal at the present time to buy ephedra, because the ban got thrown out in an appeal. The problems that happened were things like very out of shape people looking for an easy edge. It does not exist, everything takes work,...drugs, supplements or not.

For guys too say that nobody will use ephedrine because they might be tested is like saying they won't do coke. Lotta athletes do that, and both will clear out of your system quickly. Sauerbrun just got caught in the wrong window.

Guru
07-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Hmmm, Cheating Donx lose appeal?

I didn't know they had any appeal to anyone anyway.

htismaqe
07-28-2006, 05:38 AM

I believe pseudoephedrine is also on the banned substances list. In many of the meth belt states, like Iowa, pseudoephedrine is now a controlled substance.

plbrdude
07-28-2006, 06:43 AM
"The 12-year veteran said he knowingly took an over-the-counter weight loss product this summer that he strongly suspected contained ephedra, which the NFL banned after the death of Minnesota Vikings offensive tackle Korey Stringer during training camp in 2001. Players are randomly tested and can be suspended after the first violation."

wouldn't you know if it was in it ifn you read the ingredients. does not almost everything that you can purchase and ingest not have a list of ingredients on the container?

kinda like drinkin whiskey that you strongly suspect might have alcohol in it.

d. u. m. b. every one's accusing me!!!!

KCTitus
07-28-2006, 06:51 AM
Didnt the FDA ban ephedra entirely a year or two ago? I dont know many over the counter weight loss pills that would carry a substance banned by the FDA.

Dartgod
07-28-2006, 06:57 AM
wouldn't you know if it was in it ifn you read the ingredients. does not almost everything that you can purchase and ingest not have a list of ingredients on the container?

Sauerbrun said he knew the supplement would leave his system within 36 hours.
He knew it was in there and he knew he was violating league policy. Why else would he make this statement?

morphius
07-28-2006, 07:12 AM
Sounds like we have a guy always looking for an easy out, instead of working out and keeping to a diet he would rather get roids and take weight loss pills. The fact that he was willing to take roids should make this less then shocking.

The fact that he is a Donkey just makes it enjoyable.

Hound333
07-28-2006, 07:56 AM
I had a friend that took a pill with Ephedra in it. He spent 20 min with his heart fluttering so fast he had to lay down. Not saying this happens to everyone but there is a chance. The stuff can be dangerous.