PDA

View Full Version : Where is the ChiefsPlanet server?

Moooo
07-28-2006, 12:07 PM
I keep forgetting it takes an actual physical server to keep something like this going...

So where is it? Is it in KC, at someone's house or is it like a business that people rent out to keep up with (This doesn't seem like a good idea).

And if it is at someone's house, who's?

Just trying to unravel a personal mystery, and possibly give props to those who deserve it.

Moooo

SPchief
07-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Its in a galaxy far far away

hypersensitiveZO6
07-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Rich Scanlon's basement.

Many have tried to retrieve it, but all have died. :shake:

Baby Lee
07-28-2006, 12:14 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/15145272.htm

Chiefsplanet server retires
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
RIVER FALLS, Wis. | The server for Chiefsplanet, the foundation of one of the NFLís best BBs, has retired.

WilliamTheIrish
07-28-2006, 12:18 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/15145272.htm

Chiefsplanet server retires
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
RIVER FALLS, Wis. | The server for Chiefsplanet, the foundation of one of the NFLís best BBs, has retired.

LOL... BL

penguinz
07-28-2006, 12:20 PM
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=67.18.68.69

morphius
07-28-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm guessing Austin, but even having remote access to the server I have no idea...

greg63
07-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Rich Scanlon's basement.

Many have tried to retrieve it, but all have died. :shake:

ROFL

Rep!

Moooo
07-28-2006, 12:25 PM
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=67.18.68.69

WTF? This is confusing... So its somewhere where no planeteer actually maintains it? Who looks after it? There's no ads, so it can't generate any income to pay for its maitenance other than by charity.

I'm glad I asked. This is a very interesting answer!

Moooo

morphius
07-28-2006, 12:25 PM
WTF? This is confusing... So its somewhere where no planeteer actually maintains it? Who looks after it? There's no ads, so it can't generate any income to pay for its maitenance other than by charity.

I'm glad I asked. This is a very interesting answer!

Moooo
Austinchief lives in texas.

morphius
well, usually he does

Moooo
07-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Austinchief lives in texas.

morphius
well, usually he does

That link said Dallas...

Moooo

morphius
07-28-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm also trying to do something to make more money for the site, but I can't get him to nibble at it. Of course if he doesn't nibble I may have to just do it and pocket it myself, LOL!

morphius
07-28-2006, 12:29 PM
That link said Dallas...

Moooo
Welcome to the Internet. I'm logged onto the server as root right now, just in case it starts acting up...

morphius
manages servers all over the country.

Moooo
07-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Welcome to the Internet. I'm logged onto the server as root right now, just in case it starts acting up...

morphius
manages servers all over the country.

I don't know anything about servers and whatnot. That whole "as root" thing... ? I'm not asking for an answer, just saying I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Moooo

CosmicPal
07-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Here's the Chiefsplanet server:

http://www.ruthsdiner.com/images/Patio-2003-006.jpg

morphius
07-28-2006, 12:37 PM
I don't know anything about servers and whatnot. That whole "as root" thing... ? I'm not asking for an answer, just saying I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Moooo
Lets just say that I can add/remove software and reboot the server if need be, all from KC.

Moooo
07-28-2006, 12:38 PM
I PM'd AustinChief. I figure if anyone knows he will.

For some reason now I'm picturing something out of some movie where you see the warehouse the size of a football field stacked head to toe with servers. And somewhere in the mix...

Thanks for the link, penguinz, and thanks Morphius, for the good insight.

Moooo

morphius
07-28-2006, 12:40 PM
I PM'd AustinChief. I figure if anyone knows he will.

For some reason now I'm picturing something out of some movie where you see the warehouse the size of a football field stacked head to toe with servers. And somewhere in the mix...

Thanks for the link, penguinz, and thanks Morphius, for the good insight.

Moooo
Is there a reason for the questioning?

Moooo
07-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Lets just say that I can add/remove software and reboot the server if need be, all from KC.

That's cool. I used to know how to do a lot of stuff with computers about 8 years ago, but I never knew anything about servers.

Now I'm so far behind I get all google-eyed at these Blackberrys everyone has. Maybe I should get a book or two and try and learn how to do this. I like fixing things, that sounds like a good job...

Moooo

Moooo
07-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Is there a reason for the questioning?

Further enlightenment and inner peace (now that I have the question, I feel I need an answer).

The question was spurred by all this talk about Roaf. Someone said if we keep it up the server will crash. And that's all it took for me to need to know...

Moooo

morphius
07-28-2006, 12:43 PM
That's cool. I used to know how to do a lot of stuff with computers about 8 years ago, but I never knew anything about servers.

Now I'm so far behind I get all google-eyed at these Blackberrys everyone has. Maybe I should get a book or two and try and learn how to do this. I like fixing things, that sounds like a good job...

Moooo
hehe, the power is nice, but the pay (for this site) is shit! LOL!

Just install Linux and use it, that'll teach most of what one would want to know.

It is my understanding that the Planet has never actually made more money then goes out for a month.

Moooo
07-28-2006, 12:46 PM
hehe, the power is nice, but the pay (for this site) is shit! LOL!

Just install Linux and use it, that'll teach most of what one would want to know.

It is my understanding that the Planet has never actually made more money then goes out for a month.

That's sad... If I wasn't having problems paying my utilities, I'd donate a dime or two...

Can you get an emulator for Linux? I still want to run windows, but if I could learn some stuff while keeping my OS in tact, that would be sweet.

Moooo

morphius
07-28-2006, 12:50 PM
That's sad... If I wasn't having problems paying my utilities, I'd donate a dime or two...

Can you get an emulator for Linux? I still want to run windows, but if I could learn some stuff while keeping my OS in tact, that would be sweet.

Moooo
You can run vmware ontop of windows. Its a bit slow on my laptop(shocker) but it works. Just download the vmware server or player and download one of the linux builds they have.

Moooo
07-28-2006, 12:55 PM
You can run vmware ontop of windows. Its a bit slow on my laptop(shocker) but it works. Just download the vmware server or player and download one of the linux builds they have.

Thank you sir.

Moooo

58-4ever
07-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Here's the Chiefsplanet server:

http://www.ruthsdiner.com/images/Patio-2003-006.jpg

I'll take the ribs, a frosty cold beer.....and..... some sex.

Cochise
07-28-2006, 01:02 PM
It's probably sitting in the offices of a web hosting company, and there isn't one computer sitting on the floor that says "Chiefsplanet" on it, it's just one of hundreds of sites hosted by that company's cluster.

Moooo
07-28-2006, 01:05 PM
It's probably sitting in the offices of a web hosting company, and there isn't one computer sitting on the floor that says "Chiefsplanet" on it, it's just one of hundreds of sites hosted by that company's cluster.

This is what I've been told by my sources :)

This whole concept seems pretty cool... My company (obviously) has a server, but its on-site. I never gave it much thought as far as other, less corporate servers are concerned...

Moooo

KCTitus
07-28-2006, 01:10 PM
In the early days, I seem to remember Dave Lane's company hosting the site and one of the first server upgrades, Dave posted a picture of the actual box...that was quite a few appliances ago.