View Full Version : Roaf Interview with KK

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 02:07 PM
on 810 now

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Tried to work out this offseason
Body never really recovered
Minicamp was tough on his body....never recovered.

Says he never felt right.

Was still having trouble with the hammy and the right one was bothering him also

hypersensitiveZO6
07-28-2006, 02:08 PM
This is very depressing. :(

John_Wayne
07-28-2006, 02:09 PM
610am is reporting that most Chiefs players think Roaf will come back at some point during training camp.

Right now, on 810, Roaf sounds like he is DONE. It doesn't sound like he's leaving a door open to come back.

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 02:10 PM
KK "Carl says he'll leave the door open to you coming back"

"Look, they worked us too hard in the offseason. do I want to play football? Yes" "what happend was, my body wasn't feeling right, and I'd rather go out on a good note, and not let my teamates, the organization and the fans down by playing poorly"

In may, I talked to Herman, told him "I'm thinking about retiring, my body, my hips and my knees aren't feeling right" "This isn't something that is new going on, this has been going on since minicamp"

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 02:12 PM
"I wrote a letter several weeks ago to the team and to the NFL players association several weeks ago stating my intents"

The Chiefs got the letters.

I know in my situation, that at the end of last season, I thought I would play.....but with so many changes going on, and me not being there because I'm not feeling good.

"we been working too hard in the offseason and in minicamps and practice the last 4 years" "Its made a difference with alot of guys being here"

"Its not a situation where I wanted to retire, but my body just isn't ready" "I don't feel good about the situation, I'm not happy about it, but its the right thing"

Cochise
07-28-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't fault him. It doesn't not sound like Roaf sprung this on the team at all at the last minute. And you can't blame a guy for wanting to go out while he can still walk.

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 02:13 PM
"Anybody can unretire at any time".....in response to question.

"In my circumstance....I didn't want to go into the year feeling tired. Its not about the money. I could have tried to play, but I never played football for the money" "It was about friends, playing and having fun"

tomahawk kid
07-28-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm sitting here listening to this - he's DONE.

He's not even leaving a glimmer of hope........

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 02:15 PM
"I haven't felt right since hurting myself in may"

Is there any way you might feel better in a month and come back? Kk

"Its one thing to run around a little and lose weight, but its a whole nother thing to put the pads and cleats on"

"everyone seems to think I'm going to drag it out and decide if I'm goign to retire or not....its not fair to the team"

He mentioned Priest's situation dragging on when discussing "not being fair to the team

Garcia Bronco
07-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Sorry guys...I know this meant a bunch to you

DTLB58
07-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Says he is not going to just try and play for money.

It's not fair to the city and team to drag this out so I just made it easy and said I'm not coming back.

Says he is trying to lose weight to take some of the impact off of his body.

He is done.

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 02:17 PM
kk mentioned the turf in NO and how rough Willi looks walking. "how did you get to this point where you can barely walk, and then go to war in the trenches"

"when I left NO, if I hadn't been traded to KC, I'd have retired 2-3 years ago. During the week, I had issues with my body, with the knee....I took the anti inflamatory, I took the torodol shots......once you're in the middle of a game, you can fight your way through it"

"last year, they broke my body down in Training camp....by that first game, my body was hurting"..

note....KK is trying to work an angle to him coming back...
"Is there anything the Chiefs can do to change your mind....no practice et al"

"Kevin, I appreciatet he team being willing to do it, but my body just won't do it"

I've been playing football since I was a kid...this is something I miss and I'm going to struggle with...I'm not happy about this.

I'm going to miss playing football, but part of me is ready to go finish my degree.

BIG_DADDY
07-28-2006, 02:19 PM
610am is reporting that most Chiefs players think Roaf will come back at some point during training camp.

Right now, on 810, Roaf sounds like he is DONE. It doesn't sound like he's leaving a door open to come back.

Have you called in yet to tell them Dante Hall sucks?

58-4ever
07-28-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm gonna miss him. Maybe the best LT ever to play the game.

Chiefnj
07-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the transcript Iowa.

dirk digler
07-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Damn this is sad..

and btw **** DV

MahiMike
07-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Sorry guys...I know this meant a bunch to you

Denver won the division today.

tomahawk kid
07-28-2006, 02:24 PM
KK is begging him to give a sliver of hope.

Willie just keeps shutting the door.

What a deal.

DTLB58
He says he left a message for Carl today and told him how much he appreciated everything the team did for him.

Does not want to be remembered by fans as someone who just struggled to hang on and collect a paycheck.

Hopes fans and the teammates will understand. Says he is NOT happy but his body just can't do it.

Chiefnj
"but with so many changes going on"

Does that mean he's not thrilled with coaching and OC change??

Garcia Bronco

I don't know about all that. We'll still split this year..and you other games are your other games. You don't go out on the street with a full off-season in front of you and get a shut down Left Tackle...let alone during the start of training camp.Nothing is written in stone. We still have Jake Plummer. :)

Iowanian
"In college, your focus is football....it dominates your marraige.....I haven't been to my 11 year old daughter's birthday.....ever....today, I'm at my son's birthday party"

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 02:25 PM
"What size jacket should we have canton make you"

"50 right now, but hopefully in 5 years, I'll be smaller, down to like a 44"

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 02:26 PM
KK
"thanks for playing, for the way you played and we enjoyed you in KC"

WR
"Thanks to the fans, I really really enjoyed playing in Kansas city and I hope the fans respect me"

BigRedChief
07-28-2006, 02:26 PM
http://joemonahansnewmexico.blogspot.com/drama.jpg

Garcia Bronco
07-28-2006, 02:27 PM
I don't think he's go to Canton anytime soon....Zimmerman isn't in and he was 2 different all decade teams

Iowanian
End of interview.

Carl knew....Herm knew....many on the team should have known.

Roaf is done.

thanks for your short time in KC....take care of your body and enjoy the remainder of your life and family.

tomahawk kid
I'm not sure who to be pissed at - Willie or Carl - but boy am I pissed.....

DTLB58
KK asked him if there was anything the team could do to change his mind and he hesitated and said I would consider that....but then went on to say how it wouldn't be fair to the team,fans or himself.

Interview is over now. :shake:

Short Leash Hootie
07-28-2006, 02:28 PM
anyone who says anything negative about this guy and claims to be a Chiefs fan doesn't deserve to be allowed to watch football.

tk13
That was a good interview by Keitzman, he did a good job.

Really to me, it sounded like Roaf just wanted to speak his piece... he sounded really afraid the fans were going to hate him for this or think he's just in it for the money, and wanted to clarify that and go out with class.

Baby Lee
Does not want to be remembered by fans as someone who just struggled to hang on and collect a paycheck.
Wonder how he's gonna be remembered when the defense finally gets it's shit straight, and Trent and LJ are beheaded by D-Linemen coming free from the left side.

Cochise
07-28-2006, 02:30 PM
anyone who says anything negative about this guy and claims to be a Chiefs fan doesn't deserve to be allowed to watch football.

No kidding. Roaf is a class guy and nobody should say any different.

Rain Man
This is kind of like how I felt when I first got rejected by a girl in junior high. I'm going to lock myself in my room for a while and listen to sad songs by Kansas and Styx, and write some poetry about how things would have been if only Willie Roaf had not left.

Iowanian
my take.

He's done. N.O turf beat up bodies and shortens careers by a couple of years, and DV beat the piss out of the players while here with the long practices and that has something to do with it. I have the impression some players are not here now, because of that.

He's done......KK was just "Wishing" earlier.

It sucks for us as fans, but he has to do what is right for him. I never enjoy seeing those "evander Holifield players".....and wouldn't want Roaf or Shields to go out on that note.

KCTitus
07-28-2006, 02:32 PM
...listen to sad songs by Kansas and Styx...

Tonight's the night, we'll make history
Honey, you and I
And I'll make any wish, to tie back the hands of time
Here at the Paradise...

NJ Chief Fan
07-28-2006, 02:32 PM
someone call the printers and tell them to stop making chiefs super bowl tickets, might as well cut kennison and let the youngn's fight for wr positions :deevee: :nosmilie:

FringeNC
07-28-2006, 02:33 PM
"but with so many changes going on"

Does that mean he's not thrilled with coaching and OC change??

That was my thinking, too. I just wonder if he'd have retired if Vermeil hadn't been put out to pasture. As far as Solari, he's played for him, so it'd be strange if he had a problem with Solari, but who knows...

dirk digler
07-28-2006, 02:34 PM
my take.

He's done. N.O turf beat up bodies and shortens careers by a couple of years, and DV beat the piss out of the players while here with the long practices and that has something to do with it. I have the impression some players are not here now, because of that.

He's done......KK was just "Wishing" earlier.

It sucks for us as fans, but he has to do what is right for him. I never enjoy seeing those "evander Holifield players".....and wouldn't want Roaf or Shields to go out on that note.

Thanks Iowa.

Oh yeah I forgot...**** YOU DV!!

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 02:34 PM
After that interview....Carl and herm had better not try to lie to fans. Carl flat lied about not talking to Roaf, according to Roaf.

Makes me severely distrust what they say about Holmes. I think #31 is done too.

HemiEd
07-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks Iowanian, I would say this is pretty clear.

Baby Lee
07-28-2006, 02:36 PM
My take, he talked about his body, but the marriage/birthdays/school issues seemed to be the driving force.
I think this is Ms. Roaf's decision.

Anyone have Joe Horn's cell #?

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Peterson is being interviewed now.

I've haven't talked to Roaf...neither has Coach.

Its not about money, he has a contract.

Some players don't like camp. We've been through this with John Alt, Tim Grunhardt et al. Had to buy an orthopedic bed for Alt to get him to come to camp one year.

We've been planning for this for a long time....Sampson, Svitek, Turley is excited about being back in the NFL....still have 3 interior, outstanding players..alot of other young Offensive linemen we've been bringing along.

We aren't in a situation we haven't anticipated....with linemen coming into their 13-14th year

Will leave it up to coaches with Turley as to where he plays...

Baby Lee
07-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Did anyone know that Jordan Black started more games than Welbourne? Because Carl has told us eleventeen times in the past 5 minutes.

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Jordan black started more games than welbourne last year, who wasn't with the team the first 4 games.

Carl won't accept Roaf as a "loss" yet

Like the loss of any great player, it takes away from the continuity....some people thought roaf was finished 3 years ago when carl traded for him.

Its like Marcus Allen or Joe Montana....or John Alt retiring.

In the NFL, you have to get the next guy up and play. I'd like to think we prepared for this day, if this day is here.

If Willi roaf is who he is, he deserves the respect of time to stew on this decision.

Baby Lee
07-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Its like Marcus Allen or Joe Montana....or John Alt retiring.
Lessee, Joe retired, and we haven't won a playoff game since.
Sooo . . .

NJ Chief Fan
we are going into the season starting TWO new OT's, one possibility to take over hasnt played in 2 years, one gut completely sucks ass and 2 others are big ?'s

Iowanian
tackle is an open competition. "i'm very high on Svitek, Jordan black is a good player"

As good as Roaf is, he didn't start or play in 6-7 games last year.

carl is leaving the door open, and wants to give Roaf more time to consider coming back.

Team has 8 players on the PUP list....players on roster, do count, are allowed to be in camp at meetings, workout with trainers, on field at practice.....cannot practice in any team activities.....may stay on 1 day, 3 days or a month.

The reason for PUP is because they're often coming off an offseason surgery, med staff doesn't want to put them right in.

Ron Edwards, Williams and Siavii, Hodge, ?, Maxi and Galliday...Holmes.

Specifically with Priest, with doctors on the coast, we all agree PUP is the right place.

Ty Law is excused until Sunday or so.

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Should know more about Priest in a week.

"the ghost, who is hard to track down...you never know, but you can't count him out"

Frazod
07-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Sounds like he just wants to be able to walk when he's 60. Can't say I blame him.

It sucks for us, but we certainly can't fault him. The man's done plenty for us.

It's unfortunate no one ever thought to provide an actual defense during the time he played with us.

Anyway, thanks for the memories, Willie! :thumb:

tk13
07-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Bartee is your question mark on the PUP list.

Baby Lee
07-28-2006, 02:48 PM
There ought to be a law against statements like that.

He's saying, "When Roaf plays, we win. When he doesn't, we lose." But he phrases it in a way that sounds like something much less lauding of Roaf.

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Bartee should have been wearing a hairnet, washing dishes at Golden Coral 3 seasons ago....not waiting for his helmet to fit for this tc.

Donger
07-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Bartee should have been wearing a hairnet, washing dishes at Golden Coral 3 seasons ago....not waiting for his helmet to fit for this tc.

Peterson said that?

Rain Man
07-28-2006, 02:51 PM
My take, he talked about his body, but the marriage/birthdays/school issues seemed to be the driving force.
I think this is Ms. Roaf's decision.

Anyone have Joe Horn's cell #?

I wonder if he'd come back if we could prove that the kids are really Joe's.

Chiefnj
07-28-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm only reading the excerpts here, but is CP coming across like a big a-hole? Making reference that players don't like camp and he's not accepting the retirement seems like PR ploy to make people think Willie just wants to miss some time.

In other news, Edwards starting on PUP doesn't sound so good for all those hoping for interior DL improvement.

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Peterson said that?

Unfortunately know...Peterson said "Bartee mmmfff mmffff mmffff"

Iowanian said that.
I should have denoted my commentary.

Sure-Oz
07-28-2006, 02:54 PM
I just hope Turley can do half the job as Roaf and fill in, i dont blame roaf if he is scared of his body being broken.

Baby Lee
07-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Making reference that players don't like camp and he's not accepting the retirement seems like PR ploy to make people think Willie just wants to miss some time.
Well, here in Rams land, Pace pretty pulls this each and every year, then shows up for the season and is pretty much the only guy more dominant than Willie. So there is precedent.

dirk digler
07-28-2006, 02:56 PM
There ought to be a law against statements like that.

He's saying, "When Roaf plays, we win. When he doesn't, we lose." But he phrases it in a way that sounds like something much less lauding of Roaf.

What was our actual record with Big Wil out?

Hydrae
07-28-2006, 02:57 PM
tackle is an open competition. "i'm very high on Svitek, Jordan black is a good player"

carl is leaving the door open, and wants to give Roaf more time to consider coming back.

Team has 8 players on the PUP list....players on roster, do count, are allowed to be in camp at meetings, workout with trainers, on field at practice.....cannot practice in any team activities.....may stay on 1 day, 3 days or a month.

The reason for PUP is because they're often coming off an offseason surgery, med staff doesn't want to put them right in.

Ron Edwards, Williams and Siavii, Hodge, ?, Maxi and Galliday...Holmes.

Specifically with Priest, with doctors on the coast, we all agree PUP is the right place.

Ty Law is excused until Sunday or so.

Sounds to me like Carl is in denial.

Rain Man
07-28-2006, 02:58 PM
I just hope Turley can do half the job as Roaf and fill in, i dont blame roaf if he is scared of his body being broken.

Are you like me in thinking that Turley may end up at left tackle? Considering his size and experience, I think he'd be a better fit there than at RT, and most of our other candidates would be a better fit at RT than LT.

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Denile wouldn't begin to describe the river Carl suddenly finds himself up, without a paddle.

I'm not on carl too bad other than bullshitting the fans on this.......He signed made a good riskless move with Turley, Drafted fairly well, signed all the picks before camp, and brought in Law. Not a bad attempt this offseason imo.

patteeu
07-28-2006, 02:59 PM
After that interview....Carl and herm had better not try to lie to fans. Carl flat lied about not talking to Roaf, according to Roaf.

Makes me severely distrust what they say about Holmes. I think #31 is done too.

Actually, Roaf confirmed that he hadn't talked to Carl yet. His agent has most likely talked to Carl. Roaf has left Carl a message. But Roaf and Carl haven't talked, according to Roaf in the KK interview.

KILLER_CLOWN
07-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Thanks big Willie and I think you made the right choice, not that it's any easier for us to take but I respect your right to walk.

Signed,
Average Joe KC fan.

cdcox
07-28-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm only reading the excerpts here, but is CP coming across like a big a-hole? Making reference that players don't like camp and he's not accepting the retirement seems like PR ploy to make people think Willie just wants to miss some time.

In other news, Edwards starting on PUP doesn't sound so good for all those hoping for interior DL improvement.

This is just an extension of what Carl has been doing for weeks. Trying to talk Roaf out of retirement, telling him to not rush into anything, take his time making a decision. Now Roaf has said he's definitely retiring and ending the speculation. Carl wants to keep the door open for his return. Probably won't happen. But for great players, you go the extra mile to keep them around. Its the smart move.

PunkinDrublic
07-28-2006, 03:04 PM
I wonder if he'd come back if we could prove that the kids are really Joe's.

They could set it up on an episode of Maury Povich. "Willie the test results are in and there is a 98% probability that you are not the father".

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Actually, Roaf confirmed that he hadn't talked to Carl yet. His agent has most likely talked to Carl. Roaf has left Carl a message. But Roaf and Carl haven't talked, according to Roaf in the KK interview.

Thanks for correcting that....I had a co-worker walk in with a question in the middle of my "transcript"

Baby Lee
07-28-2006, 03:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2430533
Read this from just 3 months ago, read Wan's excerpts of Roaf's statements in this thread, and decide if this decision isn't the poonanny that pooped out his kids talking.

And YES, I know there was an intervening hammy in OTAs, but C'mon.

C-Mac
07-28-2006, 03:11 PM
I'm going to lock myself in my room for a while and listen to sad songs by Kansas and Styx.....

"Babe I'm leaving, I must be on my way, the time is drawing near..."

CLICK

"I close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moment's gone
All my dreams, pass before my eyes, a curiosity
Dust in the wind, all they are is dust in the wind..."

:deevee:

Hog Farmer
07-28-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm suprised nobody has suggested that we replace him with Scanlon!

tk13
07-28-2006, 03:14 PM
What was our actual record with Big Wil out?
Well, we went 7-3 in games Roaf started. We went 3-3 in games he didn't start.

Pretty much all of our offensive numbers were down across the board with Roaf out... and it would probably a bigger gap if Black didn't start the Texans game. Against all the other teams that weren't horrible, our offense was pretty average without him. I won't post those numbers for fear of causing someone to jump off a bridge. :) Hopefully we can do a little better this year and somebody can step up in camp.

Baby Lee
07-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Well, we went 7-3 in games Roaf started. We went 3-3 in games he didn't start.
Am I conflating eras, or didn't 2 of those losses end in multiple consecutive sacks on Trent, from the blind side, when we were within 7?

HemiEd
07-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Read this from just 3 months ago, read Wan's excerpts of Roaf's statements in this thread, and decide if this decision isn't the poonanny that pooped out his kids talking.

You make a good point. Maybe Carl knows that after the birthdays are over and the kids are back in school, the body might start missing the NFL.

BigRedChief
07-28-2006, 03:28 PM
TRAINING CAMP

Q: What do you know about Willie Roaf's impending retirement?

CARL PETERSON: "It's never an easy decision to retire and people do change their minds. I think there were people here last year who remember a guy named Will Shields who a lot of people speculated was going to retire and right up to training camp, I think, he thought about it very much and changed his mind. So, people can change their minds.

"Because of Willie Roaf and who he is, we want to give him the respect and the time to evaluate this. Again, to date, I still haven't talked to him and neither has (head coach) Herman (Edwards). I think it would be appropriate if he did speak with us."

Q: Are you surprised you haven't talked to him?

PETERSON: "Yeah, but I had conversation over time with his agent, Peter Schaeffer, who has felt that Willie is going to play football in 2006. But ultimately it comes down to a player's decision. Certainly we've been through this before with John Alt and Tim Grunhard and Joe Montana and Marcus Allen. But at this point we're going to keep the door open – allow him if he wants to change his mind over the next few weeks to do that."

Q: Any indication that this would be a money situation or that he didn't want to come to camp?

PETERSON: "No, it's certainly not money. That's never been a discussion. He has a contract this year for a sizable amount of money if he comes and plays. Basically, very frankly, the last time I saw him at OTAs (on the field activities during the off-season) he was very excited about the fact that Will Shields was back, very excited about Herman Edwards as the new head football coach, very excited about the promotion of Mike Solari as offensive coordinator who has coached him the last four years. He seemed to be in a very good frame of mind.

"But I do appreciate and respect that players who have played a long time don't want to come to training camp. I know (former Chiefs offensive tackle and Pro Bowler) John Alt hated training camp, would hold out and wait and I finally had to buy him a big orthopedic bed because he complained about the dorms. Maybe that's what I'll need to do for Willie."

Q: With John Welbourn retiring last month and now potentially Willie Roaf, what's the mindset of the organization? Are you looking to free agency?

PETERSON: "No, we've been making plans for this some time. Jordan Black started more games last year than John Welbourn did. We drafted a young guy named Will Svitek who had an outstanding year in the NFLEL. I think he's got great promise.

"The starting right tackle for our football team at the beginning of training camp was Kevin Sampson and I fully expect he will be our starting right tackle again this year, and/or Kyle Turley who has played both right and left tackle who is a very good acquisition that we made a number of weeks ago. When he played he was an outstanding player and a legitimate starting guy.

"We still have our three interior (linemen) which is the guts and core of our offensive line: Brian Waters, Casey Wiegmann and Will Shields. We've got a lot of other young offensive linemen that we've been bringing along and we're looking forward to seeing how they progress this training camp.

"It hasn't been a situation that we haven't been anticipating. When you have a player that's going into his 14th year – both a tackle and a guard – you make preparations and we have in the last couple of years in the draft as well as the acquisition not too long ago in Kyle Turley."

Q: Is there a chance you'd switch Turley back to the left side or do you like him at right tackle?

PETERSON: "I'm going to leave that up to the coaches. But he's certainly been very successful on both sides and that was attractive to us in signing him. Ironically, he played right tackle at New Orleans when Willie Roaf was left tackle and when he was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs Kyle went over to the left side. He can play either one and play them well.

"At some particular point in the development of your players, young players have to step up. A guy like Jordan Black started more games last year than John Welbourn. John wasn't with us the first four weeks last year."

Q: The tackle candidates you mention are promising players but none is Willie Roaf. What kind of loss is this?

PETERSON: "I'm not going to say it's a loss yet."

Q: What kind of loss could it be?

PETERSON: "Like any loss of a great player, certainly it takes away the continuity that's been there for some time. Some people thought Willie Roaf was finished when we made the trade for him four years ago but he came and played in more Pro Bowls. It's like when Marcus Allen retired, when Joe Montana retired. In some ways he wasn't as quite as successful but a 14-year veteran and great player, John Alt, who had Pro Bowls. But in the National Football League you've got to get the next guy up and get ready to play. Nobody's going to feel sorry for you and I'd like to think we've worked hard to prepare for this day if, in fact, this day is here. Because of Willie Roaf and who he is, he deserves the time to dwell on this decision. I'm hopeful that I might speak to him and also my head coach."

KILLER_CLOWN
07-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Move Shields over to LT I remember him doing a great job a couple years ago there. Plus it's a lot easier to fill the guard position than the Blindside tackle.

tk13
07-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Am I conflating eras, or didn't 2 of those losses end in multiple consecutive sacks on Trent, from the blind side, when we were within 7?
I don't remember, it might have been. We did allow more sacks and Trent had a QB rating of like 78 when Roaf didn't start. The fact we played the Texans skews the numbers a bit I think. The three wins we did have without Roaf were the two Oakland wins and the Houston win, which comes out to a combined 10-38 record. Meanwhile the losses included the Denver, Philly, and Buffalo losses.

StcChief
07-28-2006, 03:32 PM
OK so let's blame the NO Turf. and never get another player from there. Oh Wait.....Turley

Discuss Thrower
07-28-2006, 03:32 PM
How can anyone in their right frame of mind feel that an average NFLE player will be able to play a full season as a starter? Kansas City is better off sniping a player from another league to play instead of Svitek.

1punkyQB
07-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Brad Hopkins is still unsigned. He seems likely to retire, but it's worth a shot.

Sure-Oz
07-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Are you like me in thinking that Turley may end up at left tackle? Considering his size and experience, I think he'd be a better fit there than at RT, and most of our other candidates would be a better fit at RT than LT.
Yeah i think we are on the same page there, it makes more sense to me too. See what happens, i just hope Roaf reconsiders somehow!

DJJasonp
07-28-2006, 03:42 PM
I think it's kind of crap to do this on the morning of the 1st day of camp....it leaves the chiefs in a bind...if he did this before the draft...or in the middle of free-agency....we could have had more options.

This leads me to believe he might change his mind...and maybe like Alt...he wants to skip camp.

ct
07-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Man, he is definitely done. The Vermeil camps must have used him up.

Thanks for the memories Willie!! You are da man! You will be missed!!

ChiefFan31
07-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Its interesting to read just how pissed off he was about mini camps this May.

I usually keep pretty good track of this stuff, but why was Willie even there?

And its obvious he feels that if goes through another full TC he feels his body is going to break down.

Maybe there is the slightest glimmer of hope that he rolls in late...

CP better get like a whole team of Asian Hotties to give him a bunch of happy ending rubdowns after every practice.

Please come back to us Roaf!!

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 03:57 PM
I think Peterson's best play is to weld a chasity belt on roaf's wife, provide 24hr surveylance of her, and Fill Willie's lounge chair, in an air conditioned tent full of his favorite snack food.

outside of that......he's done.

Time to move on.

Der Flöprer
07-28-2006, 03:57 PM
John Welbourne or Willie Roaf will be on the roster come opening day. You heard it here first.

Lzen
07-28-2006, 03:58 PM
I don't think he's go to Canton anytime soon....Zimmerman isn't in and he was 2 different all decade teams

Roaf will be in Canton as soon as he's eligible.

Mecca
07-28-2006, 04:04 PM
I don't hate Willie Roaf but I have a major issue with this. If you're going to retire you do it before the draft before FA, just out of respect to the team you play for, you give them a chance to replace you. You don't retire the day training camp starts, that's low brow if you ask me.

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 04:09 PM
I seriously doubt if Roaf had made his decision on this before the draft, particularly when he said that his body didn't respond well at the Mini camp....in may.....after the draft.

tk13
07-28-2006, 04:10 PM
I don't hate Willie Roaf but I have a major issue with this. If you're going to retire you do it before the draft before FA, just out of respect to the team you play for, you give them a chance to replace you. You don't retire the day training camp starts, that's low brow if you ask me.
Yeah, but he can't control when his hamstring acts up. It's pretty clear that happened after FA and the draft. That's not his fault.

Mecca
07-28-2006, 04:10 PM
It was a deep tackle draft too......we could have probably made a move and had Winston Justice in the 2nd round if we knew. Now going into next year it's a weak tackle draft.....

Mecca
07-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Yeah, but he can't control when his hamstring acts up. It's pretty clear that happened after FA and the draft. That's not his fault.

It still puts this team in a bind for this year and likely next year too......There were numerous good tackle prospects in this years draft that went in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. There won't be another like that for awhile, but he didn't inform the Chiefs before it so now we're stuck and probably won't have a good LT or LT prospect for 3 years.

Chiefnj
07-28-2006, 04:14 PM
Didn't KK and the local media complain that DV was too soft during practices in recent years and that the practices were long but didn't have enough contact, etc.?

Chiefnj
07-28-2006, 04:16 PM
It was a deep tackle draft too......we could have probably made a move and had Winston Justice in the 2nd round if we knew. Now going into next year it's a weak tackle draft.....

Would it have mattered? Even in April they knew he had 1 more year left. They still could have drafted a LOT figuring the kid could learn one year behind one of the greatest players LTs of all time. They decided getting a backup for the recently acquired Knight was a bigger priority.

tk13
07-28-2006, 04:18 PM
It still puts this team in a bind for this year and likely next year too......There were numerous good tackle prospects in this years draft that went in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. There won't be another like that for awhile, but he didn't inform the Chiefs before it so now we're stuck and probably won't have a good LT or LT prospect for 3 years.
Well I don't disagree, but what's Willie supposed to do about that, his job is to try to prepare himself best for the season, not make all the future personnel moves for this team. We could've drafted a LT anyway... in fact some people were in favor of doing that I'm sure. Just in case.. because we knew his hamstring was one bad play away from acting up. You know that, you have to be prepared.

Just like the RB position. We're the same way there. If LJ goes down, we're toast. You wouldn't be mad at LJ if he got hurt and left us hanging.

Nzoner
07-28-2006, 04:21 PM

I missed this on Sirius today but here's another blip you might find interesting I found on another football board.

Allow me to spew forth the take I just heard on Sirius NFL radio on my way home. I can never remember these guy's names,Tim Ryan and Adam Schien maybe. After the reports about Roaf's retirement came in, these two (who are usually pretty solid in the opinion game) took a few calls and basically laughed the scenario off. They seem to think that Edwards' talk of running the ball and then running the ball some more have forced the vet's hand, i.e. Roaf doesn't need to spend a month doing nothing but blocking drills. The network guys seem to think that this is just a ploy by a savvy veteran to avoid a strenuous camp. They're of the mind that Roaf can simply change his mind a week before the season, and step in like he was never gone. A "retirement" scenario also frees the Chiefs' organization from the embarrassing move of having to fine Roaf $14,000 per missed day of camp. Ideally, everybody wins. Again, this isn't meant to be taken as my opinion (though I agree with it), it's simply representative of what I heard on the radio.

patteeu
07-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks for correcting that....I had a co-worker walk in with a question in the middle of my "transcript"

Thanks for providing the nearly flawless transcript in the first place. I always appreciate it when someone does that when I don't have the opportunity to listen myself. :thumb:

stevieray
07-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Again we hear about DV working players too hard.

HemiEd
07-28-2006, 04:33 PM
I missed this on Sirius today but here's another blip you might find interesting I found on another football board.

That would be a nice outcome, and would make a lot of us very happy.

the Talking Can
07-28-2006, 04:35 PM
sounded retired to me...

cherish the memories, we saw 2 hall of fame OL playing together on a dominant offense...

I'll always remember our OL in the playoff game against the Colts, they ****ing destroyed the colts DL and LBs on every single snap...it was glorious...either Solari or Saunders said it was "a perfect game" for the OL...too bad they were never rewarded for their level of play...I blame CP for that, for letting DV kill our defense...

ask Dwight Freeney if Roaf is a first ballot hall of famer....Roaf humiliated him both times we played them...

adios Willie...it was fun

tk13
07-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Again we hear about DV working players too hard.
Yeah, which is kinda funny because everybody for the last 5 years complained about how "soft" he was.

'Hamas' Jenkins
Well, here in Rams land, Pace pretty pulls this each and every year, then shows up for the season and is pretty much the only guy more dominant than Willie. So there is precedent.

But Pace pulls that crap because he usually wants more and more $$ in addition to wanting time off. I can't say that I've ever heard anything bad about Willie's character (his wife's is another ?). I'd be pissed, but anyone who has ever seen those videos of a clearly crippled Earl Campbell or even Jerome Bettis after a game makes me realize that I can't hate the guy for it. It sucks the 9th circle of O-rings as a Chiefs fan--on a human level I clearly see his point.

Mecca
All I ask is that this OC isn't as dumb as Saunders and runs 7 step drops when we have no blocking off the tackle......

BigRedChief
07-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Replaying at 5:00 pm

Short Leash Hootie
07-28-2006, 04:41 PM
let me ask this question...

If Roaf was REALLY planning on coming back, and using this as some sort of 'ploy', why would he come on the radio, the day he announces his retirement, and say his piece (thanks, sorry, I hope everyone respects me, kids, blah blah blah)...

You'd think if he was REALLY planning on a return, he'd just stay silent...Roaf doesn't strike me as a 'liar.'

DTLB58
07-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Wonder how he's gonna be remembered when the defense finally gets it's shit straight, and Trent and LJ are beheaded by D-Linemen coming free from the left side.

Well, it's yet to be seen whether the D has gotten it's shit straight or not. If Willie says he's body just can't do it anymore then we have to respect that. If he's hurt and trying to protect Trent and can't because of his injuries and aging body and someone goes around him and kills Trent we will all say, he's old he should have retired, he's hurting the team more then he's helping us.

If your going to bitter about this towards anyone it should be Carl and Herm they knew months ago and said nothing. At least it wouldn't have been such a shock on the first freaking day of training camp.

Thanks Big Willie! Your the man! :clap:

Short Leash Hootie
07-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Oh man Mariotti just slammed our team. Haha, what a fag GOD I HATE HIM.

Discuss Thrower
07-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Oh man Mariotti just slammed our team. Haha, what a Rump Ranger GOD I HATE HIM.

"Big Sexy, don't worry about the playoffs this year ho-ho-ho."

Mariotti is an asshat.

dirk digler
07-28-2006, 04:45 PM
I wonder if there is any LT's out there that are on their last year of their contract that we could possibly trade for?

Short Leash Hootie
07-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Mariotti and Whitlock are meant for one another.

They are really two of a kind.

Mecca
07-28-2006, 04:47 PM
I wonder if there is any LT's out there that are on their last year of their contract that we could possibly trade for?

How many teams have good LT's? The one's that do aren't going to give them away........

dirk digler
07-28-2006, 04:53 PM
How many teams have good LT's? The one's that do aren't going to give them away........

I know but heck we should try making some kind of deal I would even be willing to give up a #1 if it was for the right player.

We can't go into the season with Black as our starting LT or we are screwed

Baby Lee
07-28-2006, 04:53 PM
If your going to bitter about this towards anyone it should be Carl and Herm they knew months ago and said nothing. At least it wouldn't have been such a shock on the first freaking day of training camp.
May 2, 2006, 5:30 PM ET - Chiefs' Roaf has put aside all thoughts of retirement (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2430533)

Short Leash Hootie
07-28-2006, 04:54 PM
I know but heck we should try making some kind of deal I would even be willing to give up a #1 if it was for the right player.

this isn't fantasy land big guy, not going to happen

Mecca
07-28-2006, 04:55 PM

We're pretty screwed anyway........Looks like that rebuilding process may start a little earlier than some people thought.

dirk digler
07-28-2006, 04:55 PM
this isn't fantasy land big guy, not going to happen

If we don't explore all options then our FO is worthless

Mecca
07-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Our options are what's currently on the roster......

Short Leash Hootie
07-28-2006, 04:56 PM
If we don't explore all options then our FO is worthless
no one is going to trade us a good LT before the friggin' season...

It doesn't make sense. You need to put down your PS2 controller and step into REALITY.

OnTheWarpath58
07-28-2006, 05:02 PM

It doesn't make sense. You need to put down your PS2 controller and step into REALITY.

Amen, brother.

CP is not making a move, we have 7-8 tackles on the roster.

Plan on some combo of Turley/Black/Sampson/Svitek and move on.

Noticed that Tre Stallings is listed as a T on the roster......

Thought he played G in college?

Bootlegged
07-28-2006, 05:08 PM
I have to go take a really, really big shit. I'll update asap.

Coach
07-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the great years Willie.

Coach
07-28-2006, 05:15 PM
"Big Sexy, don't worry about the playoffs this year ho-ho-ho."

Mariotti is an asshat.

As much as I hate Ozzie Gullien, his comments towards Mariotti would be a wonderful thing, right now.

Mecca
07-28-2006, 05:18 PM
So I'm listening to this again now.........He sure makes Vermiel sound like an assbag.

"Us older guys had a problem with all the banging in practices, we brought it up to him and nothing was ever done".

go bowe
07-28-2006, 05:34 PM
svitek is a project like waters was, he's still a year or two away i think...

they sure seem to think highly of this guy...

but we need somebody at left tackle with more experience to make this offense work...

is turley going to be able to gain enough weight without loosing his quickness to be able to play lt?

i worry about that; our running game doesn't need an undersized lt...

dirk digler
07-28-2006, 05:42 PM

I didn't say it was probable.

I just can't fathom Jordan Black being the starter at LT.

dirk digler
07-28-2006, 05:43 PM
So I'm listening to this again now.........He sure makes Vermiel sound like an assbag.

"Us older guys had a problem with all the banging in practices, we brought it up to him and nothing was ever done".

That is nothing new. I think every NFL team that Vermeil ever coached the veterans bitched about his practices.

penchief
07-28-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm gonna miss him. Maybe the best LT ever to play the game.

I tend to agree. But I don't think anybody would think that's true if it hadn't been for his time in KC.

Brock
07-28-2006, 05:48 PM
I didn't say it was probable.

I just can't fathom Jordan Black being the starter at LT.

A couple of years ago, nobody could fathom Kawika Mitchell being the starter at MLB.

dirk digler
07-28-2006, 05:53 PM
A couple of years ago, nobody could fathom Kawika Mitchell being the starter at MLB.

good point Brock.

My concern is if Black makes a mistake or just sucks in general Trent won't make it past the 2nd game of the season.

OldTownChief
07-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Going from an extreme high Sunday with Ty signing to an extreme low after reading this is a bummer. Oh well, have to make the best of it. God's speed Willie.

If it had to happen I guess it's good that it happened now. Plan for the season without him and game plan accordingly. I still have faith.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Roaf will be in Canton as soon as he's eligible.

Yep. Zimmerman shouldn't be in the same sentence as Roaf, IMO.

Roaf is the best tackle to ever play the game.

DJJasonp
07-28-2006, 06:00 PM
All this doom and gloom has got me thinking about.....

"Playoffs?! Don't talk about playoffs! Are you kidding me? Playoffs?! I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game!"

Rausch
07-28-2006, 06:12 PM

Mitchell had slobs working alongside him and at least displayed some potential.

Black had an all star line and backfield around him and sucked like a brand new Kirby...

Jim Jones
07-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Wow, this blows.. hard. Last night I thought we were a Superbowl contender, today I.. ah shit, I don't even know.

Mecca
07-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Wow, this blows.. hard. Last night I thought we were a Superbowl contender, today I.. ah shit, I don't even know.

Now we're canidates to get our QB on the "jacked up" segment every week.

Valiant
07-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Our options are what's currently on the roster......

What spot does Sampson play??? He did great until the injury and never really got back into the flow after that...

Svitick(sp?) He did great in NFLE, not sure on his actual position but is solid..

Then, is Ryan Lilij still a FA??? He did great for us when he was here..

If we do actually lose Roaf that will hurt badly, but hopefully one of our guys will break out if giving the chance of actually playing constantly with the 1st unit..

RINGLEADER
07-29-2006, 02:35 PM
I guess Roaf realized that he would suck if he played so he's not going to play. I don't think anyone did anything bad in this situation - HE and CP tried to wait out Roaf's body hoping he would heal to a point where he was good to go, Roaf gave it a shot, but in the end he just can't perform. Wish we had gotten someone better than Turley as a replacement in the off-season but there's little chance we could have made a play for an elite player at that position when there was still a chance we'd be carrying Roaf into the season.

Sucks because I don't think we have a chance in hell to have an explosive offense with Jordan Black at LT.

milkman
07-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Mitchell had slobs working alongside him and at least displayed some potential.

True, but he also had the luxury of playing in one position, learning that one position, and getting comfortable with that one position.

Black had an all star line and backfield around him and sucked like a brand new Kirby...

Black, on the other hand, has been moved from guard to RT to LT, back to RT, and back to left LT.

He's a young guy trying to learn the ropes.

Give him a chance to get his feet wet in one position, then if he sucks, let's talk.

I don't think he'll be more than average, but he can get the job done, if he's allowed to stick and learn at that single position.

milkman
07-29-2006, 02:54 PM
What spot does Sampson play??? He did great until the injury and never really got back into the flow after that...

RT.

Svitick(sp?) He did great in NFLE, not sure on his actual position but is solid..

LT, but he's a year away.

Reports that Lilja was a FA were bogus.

If we do actually lose Roaf that will hurt badly, but hopefully one of our guys will break out if giving the chance of actually playing constantly with the 1st unit..

I think that guy can be Black, as a stop gap measure this year.
He can be moved to LG when Shields retires next year, where I think he can be better than average, and Svitek can take over at LT, where I think he can excel.

Rausch
07-29-2006, 03:21 PM
He's a young guy trying to learn the ropes.

Give him a chance to get his feet wet in one position, then if he sucks, let's talk.

I don't think he'll be more than average, but he can get the job done, if he's allowed to stick and learn at that single position.

I'll grant you that he's been moved all over but I have yet to see anything that makes me think he could be solid at LT.

People were constantly getting around him on the outside (speed? Footwork?) and in the Buffalo game he was just abused all day.

It's not like I want to see the guy suck but he just seems to be the Bartee of the offensive line.

Thig Lyfe
07-29-2006, 03:33 PM

The way Roaf talks then and the way he talks now are like night and day. So even if it sounds like he's 100% done, back then it sounded like he was 100% ready to go. People change their minds, but then again I wouldn't hold my breath.

Rausch
07-29-2006, 03:35 PM
The way Roaf talks then and the way he talks now are like night and day. So even if it sounds like he's 100% done, back then it sounded like he was 100% ready to go.

That's what I don't get. A few months ago he was talking Shields into coming back...

milkman
07-29-2006, 03:36 PM
I'll grant you that he's been moved all over but I have yet to see anything that makes me think he could be solid at LT.

People were constantly getting around him on the outside (speed? Footwork?) and in the Buffalo game he was just abused all day.

It's not like I want to see the guy suck but he just seems to be the Bartee of the offensive line.

I agree that his foot speed is an issue, and against the better speed rushers, he's going to need help, regardless.

But I think with enough work at the position, he can do a yeoman's job there as a stopgap measure, until Svitek is ready to take over.

Svitek, unlike Black, has exceptionally quick feet, which is one of the reasons I think he'll excel when he's ready.

CoMoChief
07-29-2006, 03:53 PM

I thought Lilja was a Guard. I could be wrong though.

RedThat
07-29-2006, 04:40 PM
sounded retired to me...

cherish the memories, we saw 2 hall of fame OL playing together on a dominant offense...

I'll always remember our OL in the playoff game against the Colts, they ****ing destroyed the colts DL and LBs on every single snap...it was glorious...either Solari or Saunders said it was "a perfect game" for the OL...too bad they were never rewarded for their level of play...I blame CP for that, for letting DV kill our defense...

ask Dwight Freeney if Roaf is a first ballot hall of famer....Roaf humiliated him both times we played them...

adios Willie...it was fun

Yup. I remember that. Roaf took Freeney to school.

Im gonna miss the guy even more now.

RedThat
07-29-2006, 04:46 PM

Willie loves football.

I don't think he wanted to leave like this. For Willie it was a day-to-day thing. Just take things one day at a time to see how his body felt before making a decision.

I don't think he wanted to leave, he probably still wants to play. His body just can't take it anymore. This team is great with him there. He probably knows that. I think Turley was the backup plan for all this.

Mecca
07-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Both of the Chiefs starting Tackles retired at times that basically left the team without a chance to replace them.........