PDA

View Full Version : Carl Peterson on Willie Roaf

Lzen
07-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Carl Peterson on Willie Roaf
Jul 28, 2006, 2:10:31 PM

TRAINING CAMP

Q: What do you know about Willie Roaf’s impending retirement?

CARL PETERSON: “It’s never an easy decision to retire and people do change their minds. I think there were people here last year who remember a guy named Will Shields who a lot of people speculated was going to retire and right up to training camp, I think, he thought about it very much and changed his mind. So, people can change their minds.

“Because of Willie Roaf and who he is, we want to give him the respect and the time to evaluate this. Again, to date, I still haven’t talked to him and neither has (head coach) Herman (Edwards). I think it would be appropriate if he did speak with us.”

Q: Are you surprised you haven’t talked to him?

PETERSON: “Yeah, but I had conversation over time with his agent, Peter Schaeffer, who has felt that Willie is going to play football in 2006. But ultimately it comes down to a player’s decision. Certainly we’ve been through this before with John Alt and Tim Grunhard and Joe Montana and Marcus Allen. But at this point we’re going to keep the door open – allow him if he wants to change his mind over the next few weeks to do that.”

Q: Any indication that this would be a money situation or that he didn’t want to come to camp?

PETERSON: “No, it’s certainly not money. That’s never been a discussion. He has a contract this year for a sizable amount of money if he comes and plays. Basically, very frankly, the last time I saw him at OTAs (on the field activities during the off-season) he was very excited about the fact that Will Shields was back, very excited about Herman Edwards as the new head football coach, very excited about the promotion of Mike Solari as offensive coordinator who has coached him the last four years. He seemed to be in a very good frame of mind.

“But I do appreciate and respect that players who have played a long time don’t want to come to training camp. I know (former Chiefs offensive tackle and Pro Bowler) John Alt hated training camp, would hold out and wait and I finally had to buy him a big orthopedic bed because he complained about the dorms. Maybe that’s what I’ll need to do for Willie.”

Q: With John Welbourn retiring last month and now potentially Willie Roaf, what’s the mindset of the organization? Are you looking to free agency?

PETERSON: “No, we’ve been making plans for this some time. Jordan Black started more games last year than John Welbourn did. We drafted a young guy named Will Svitek who had an outstanding year in the NFLEL. I think he’s got great promise.

“The starting right tackle for our football team at the beginning of training camp was Kevin Sampson and I fully expect he will be our starting right tackle again this year, and/or Kyle Turley who has played both right and left tackle who is a very good acquisition that we made a number of weeks ago. When he played he was an outstanding player and a legitimate starting guy.

“We still have our three interior (linemen) which is the guts and core of our offensive line: Brian Waters, Casey Wiegmann and Will Shields. We’ve got a lot of other young offensive linemen that we’ve been bringing along and we’re looking forward to seeing how they progress this training camp.

“It hasn’t been a situation that we haven’t been anticipating. When you have a player that’s going into his 14th year – both a tackle and a guard – you make preparations and we have in the last couple of years in the draft as well as the acquisition not too long ago in Kyle Turley.”

Q: Is there a chance you’d switch Turley back to the left side or do you like him at right tackle?

PETERSON: “I’m going to leave that up to the coaches. But he’s certainly been very successful on both sides and that was attractive to us in signing him. Ironically, he played right tackle at New Orleans when Willie Roaf was left tackle and when he was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs Kyle went over to the left side. He can play either one and play them well.

“At some particular point in the development of your players, young players have to step up. A guy like Jordan Black started more games last year than John Welbourn. John wasn’t with us the first four weeks last year.”

Q: The tackle candidates you mention are promising players but none is Willie Roaf. What kind of loss is this?

PETERSON: “I’m not going to say it’s a loss yet.”

Q: What kind of loss could it be?

PETERSON: “Like any loss of a great player, certainly it takes away the continuity that’s been there for some time. Some people thought Willie Roaf was finished when we made the trade for him four years ago but he came and played in more Pro Bowls. It’s like when Marcus Allen retired, when Joe Montana retired. In some ways he wasn’t as quite as successful but a 14-year veteran and great player, John Alt, who had Pro Bowls. But in the National Football League you’ve got to get the next guy up and get ready to play. Nobody’s going to feel sorry for you and I’d like to think we’ve worked hard to prepare for this day if, in fact, this day is here. Because of Willie Roaf and who he is, he deserves the time to dwell on this decision. I’m hopeful that I might speak to him and also my head coach.”

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/07/28/carl_peterson_on_willie_roaf/

Bootlegged
07-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Carl has mafia ties - Willie better play.

morphius
07-28-2006, 02:56 PM
They are going to give Shields and Trent every oppertunity to try and change his mind.

I also figured Sampson would take the RT spot, so no shock there and not a drop off if he can stay healthy.

MOhillbilly
07-28-2006, 02:58 PM
They are going to give Shields and Trent every oppertunity to try and change his mind.

I also figured Sampson would take the RT spot, so no shock there and not a drop off if he can stay healthy.

Are you talking about Sampson starting RT and no drop off?????

BigRedChief
07-28-2006, 02:59 PM
repost. See post #76
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=144484&page=2

morphius
07-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Welborn played okay, but was no stud out there.

Lzen
07-28-2006, 03:14 PM
repost. See post #76
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=144484&page=2

Yeah, I read that after I posted this thread. But it wasn't in a thread form. :shake:

Lzen
07-28-2006, 03:15 PM

Who's to to say that he can't perform at a level equal to the level that it was played last year? Seems to me that the Chiefs have been touting Sampson as the heir apparent at RT the last couple preseasons.

StcChief
07-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Reading this as
Sampson RT Turley/Black/Svitek LTs

MOhillbilly
07-28-2006, 03:23 PM
sampson didnt have the feet last year.
so poor its not something he could make up in one offseason.