PDA

View Full Version : Professional Painters are Lazy

jiveturkey
07-28-2006, 04:28 PM
The people that lived in our place before us were mentally retarded, which lead them to painting the back deck. This year it finally got bad enough that I decided to do some work on it. We power washed it, scrapped it and laid down a coat of primer. After all of this we decided that this was too much fun for the wife and I and decided to pay someone else to finish the project.

I've called 5 painting companies and here's the results.
First 2 do not answer or return calls.
Candidate #3 made an appointment to come out and give me an estimate. He never showed up.
Candidate #4 is either related to candidate #3 or the previous owners of my house.
Candidate #5 came out and told me that he'll "probably" be able to do it but he won't be able to get to it until October and I will have to buy a sprayer for him.

So if you know of any painters please kick them square in the nuts for me.

I have lost hope in the people of this country. I also run my own business and I run into similar problems in the professional world. There are times when I need a service or product from an outside vendor so I shop around and then place a call that goes something like this "Hello ABC company mine name is Jiveturkey and I would like to give you money in exchange for the service or product that you specialize in". Later that week no one calls back, there's no follow up and they never actually put any effort into taking money from me.

When someone calls me and requests that I take their money I haul ass over to their place and help them write the check.

The lazyness has reached epic proportions and it's pissing me off.
:cuss:

Robo-Chachi
07-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Offer to pay them in pot.

Brock
07-28-2006, 04:35 PM
They're all drunks. Just buy a 100 dollar paint gun and do it yourself.

bogie
07-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Must not be many illegals where you live. They're great painters and they'll mow your lawn too.

kcfanintitanhell
07-28-2006, 04:50 PM
They're all drunks. Just buy a 100 dollar paint gun and do it yourself.

I think, for the most part, that is true. What better occupation to get into so one can sleep off the hangover and show up for work at 11:00 in the AM and knock off around 4:00?
I work part-time for a guy that is the complete opposite-he's a great painter, and has taught me a lot, though he can sometimes be a bastard to work for. We start at 7:30 and go until 5:00, indoors or outdoors, hot or cold.
As far as doing it yourself, if you have done some painting, you would probably be fine. But I have seen some do-it-yourself paint jobs that required more time to fix than the actual paint job took. And be careful of the hundred dollar paint guns.
BTW-did you all hear Willie Roaf retired? :p

jiveturkey
07-28-2006, 05:10 PM
We bought a paint sprayer and it sucks balls.

kcfanintitanhell
07-28-2006, 05:15 PM

They can be a major pain in the ass, depending on kind of paint you're dealing with.
And a thorough cleanup takes about 4 times as long as cleaning up from a roller and brush. And if the cleanup on a spray unit is not done right, next time you use it it will suck balls to the 10th power.

38yrsfan
07-28-2006, 05:34 PM
That is why I had kids. I think ................ :)

Over-Head
07-28-2006, 05:53 PM
As a professional painter and Plaster I take exception to your statement "Professional Painters are Lazy"Not all of us are, just 99% of them.
I start my day at 4:45 am just to catch a boat to work punch a 10 hour day and feel lucky if I make it home by 7pm.
That said!!!

If you just keep trying you WILL find a competent painting company to do your deck.
FIRST!!!
Search for one who ADVERTISES "Residential, Commercial, Interior, Exterior" on their business card and or yellow page add. These guyís are good, but expensive.
Trust me, you get EXACTLY what you pay for in this racket.
I know, half of my business is fixing messís made by wanna beís

Second-
Summer is NEW HOME BUILDING SEASON, most of the " Proís" are booked already
IE: Your deck will fetch me $500 (just a quick guess for my example) and to do it properly will take 2-3 dayís and tie up 2 of my guyís depending size, and on how bad an original job was done, prep work etc.
A new house (1100-2500sq ft) will take me and my crew (3 men) 4 days start to finish and land me $15-1700.00 depending.
Your deck ainít anything but a filler job while the next house is nearing completion. REMEMBER THAT.

Just because YOU power washed and primed it means little or nothing to a REAL pro.
Heíll want to know if you just used water? (Or were you intelligent enough to add some TSP concentrate to clean away the residual anit-bonding agents (air born polution etc) which have built up over time that you probably just primed over and now will see lift the paint next year. (I could go on but wont)
(Thereís more questions I would ask over the phone prior to even looking at it If you had called me)

Third-
You canít sum up everyone based on 5 attempts to find the right contractor.
Hell I had a guy tell me "Price was NO Object" on his house last week, heís been looking for someone who isnít too busy to do it for 3 weeks.
I was attempt #14.
***Iím taking the job, in 3 weeks thatís how busy GOOD contractors are this time of year.

Forth-
Spray painting is NOT for everyone. You can make a hell of a mess of your yard, cars, house, flowers, neighbors property and your deck, if you really donít know what your doing, not to mention waste paint like crazy if you donít have the right tip/paint/sprayer

Keep trying, you will find the right person/contractor.I too feel your pain. I canít find someone who will give me 6 honest hours out of the 8 Iím gonna pay them for, and right now Iím desperate for 2 painters.

Brock
07-28-2006, 05:55 PM

Should have bought a wagner. I have one and it doesn't suck balls.

Brock
07-28-2006, 05:56 PM
They're all drunks.

As a professional painter

Told you.

Over-Head
07-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Should have bought a wagner. I have one and it doesn't suck balls.Greco Ultra 390 :thumb:

Over-Head
07-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Told you.
Sure ONE drunken rant and your branded for life 4321

Phobia
07-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Don't take anybody seriously unless they have a Graco. FWIW, I have a Graco. I will spray your deck but it's going to cost you and I offer no guarantees beyond what the manufacturer of the paint guarantees.

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

jiveturkey
07-28-2006, 06:50 PM
As a professional painter and Plaster I take exception to your statement "Professional Painters are Lazy"Not all of us are, just 99% of them.It sounds like you work your butt off so I'll be sure to exlude you from future rants.

Earthling
07-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Getting to, and doing, the prep/priming is 80% of the job...which will only be as good as the prep work. Why not finish the job yourself..or are you too lazy?? :p
I will generally decline jobs where they do the prep work. My name would be on it ultimately and I doubt that they would do as good as job on the prep as I would.

stevieray
07-28-2006, 07:13 PM
mmmm....paint.

|Zach|
07-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Told you.
Ha!

Big Dick Jones
07-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Don't take anybody seriously unless they have a Graco. FWIW, I have a Graco. I will spray your deck but it's going to cost you and I offer no guarantees beyond what the manufacturer of the paint guarantees.

Drop me a PM if you're interested.
Should I throw away my Binks #7?

Baconeater
07-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Greco Ultra 390 :thumb:
390 sucks. My 395st will blow it away.

Rain Man
07-28-2006, 08:40 PM
I bet the first two don't speak English.

Moooo
07-28-2006, 08:44 PM
The people that lived in our place before us were mentally retarded, which lead them to painting the back deck. This year it finally got bad enough that I decided to do some work on it. We power washed it, scrapped it and laid down a coat of primer. After all of this we decided that this was too much fun for the wife and I and decided to pay someone else to finish the project.

Candidate #3 made an appointment to come out and give me an estimate. He never showed up.
Candidate #4 is either related to candidate #3 or the previous owners of my house.
Candidate #5 came out and told me that he'll "probably" be able to do it but he won't be able to get to it until October and I will have to buy a sprayer for him.

I have lost hope in the people of this country. I also run my own business and I run into similar problems in the professional world. There are times when I need a service or product from an outside vendor so I shop around and then place a call that goes something like this "Hello ABC company mine name is Jiveturkey and I would like to give you money in exchange for the service or product that you specialize in". Later that week no one calls back, there's no follow up and they never actually put any effort into taking money from me.

When someone calls me and requests that I take their money I haul ass over to their place and help them write the check.

The problem is there is no level of government interaction and/or regulation. If these people had to take a test, and show proficient skills before being able to paint, this wouldn't be a problem. The same goes for carpentry and roofing.

And how much I hate to say it, half of all painters, roofers and carpenters I know have served time of over a few weeks in their life. And most do it cause they either can't pass a drug test or because they want to be able to drink while they work.

Moooo

jspchief
07-28-2006, 08:49 PM
The problem is there is no level of government interaction and/or regulation. If these people had to take a test, and show proficient skills before being able to paint, this wouldn't be a problem. The same goes for carpentry and roofing.

And how much I hate to say it, half of all painters, roofers and carpenters I know have served time of over a few weeks in their life. And most do it cause they either can't pass a drug test or because they want to be able to drink while they work.

MooooHow would more government regulation help? That would just decrease the number of qualified contractors while increasing the cost of the work they do.

The problem isn't that the government hasn't stuck their nose far enough into it. The problem is that we live in a Walmart society where everyone wants it for the best price, without considering that they sacrifice quality. Then they wonder why the product or service lets them down.

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 08:58 PM
Rent a good sprayer and a boom and do it yourself.

I've got a good friend who started working for a painter while he went to college...after a year or so, he went on his own.

He's a raging workaholic and pulls in alot of loot....and has a waiting list of work.

PastorMikH
07-28-2006, 09:05 PM

Moooo

Here's the way it works...
You can choose 2 out of three, cheap, good, and fast.

You can get it done good and fast, but it isn't going to be cheap.
You can get it done good and cheap, but it isn't going to be fast.
You can get it done cheap and fast, but it isn't going to be good.

You can't have all three.

The painters that aren't that good are like the carpenters that arent' that good. Their quality of work will keep them at the lower level jobs or they will end up going out of business altogether.

'Course I'd never actually pay someone to paint myself. It isn't that hard to do and make it look good.

Seriously though on your deck, get yourself a wagner power sprayer and do it yourself. The hard work is behind you. We had a 10'x20' deck at our last place and I shot the whole thing in less than an hour per coat (I did 2 coats) and had it done in one day.

Moooo
07-28-2006, 09:07 PM
How would more government regulation help? That would just decrease the number of qualified contractors while increasing the cost of the work they do.

The problem isn't that the government hasn't stuck their nose far enough into it. The problem is that we live in a Walmart society where everyone wants it for the best price, without considering that they sacrifice quality. Then they wonder why the product or service lets them down.

Although I totally understand your opinion, I disagree. When family members have tried to get a good carpenter (which is the same as far as finding good help), it was like a craps shoot. In a city as big as KC, without knowing someone personally or through someone else, you have about a 10% chance of finding someone worth a damn. The first guy they hired only finished the job half way and stopped coming and returning their calls. The second and third guy never showed up, and finally, after 9 months the 4th guy finished it for him, even though he said he didn't do halfway jobs.

If they had to have some sort of licensing and certification not only would it make them show proficient knowledge of their trade, but it would also make sure to do a good job cause their ability to work on that trade would be on the line.

Moooo

jspchief
07-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Although I totally understand your opinion, I disagree. When family members have tried to get a good carpenter (which is the same as far as finding good help), it was like a craps shoot. In a city as big as KC, without knowing someone personally or through someone else, you have about a 10% chance of finding someone worth a damn. The first guy they hired only finished the job half way and stopped coming and returning their calls. The second and third guy never showed up, and finally, after 9 months the 4th guy finished it for him, even though he said he didn't do halfway jobs.

If they had to have some sort of licensing and certification not only would it make them show proficient knowledge of their trade, but it would also make sure to do a good job cause their ability to work on that trade would be on the line.

MooooA license doesn't tell you the difference between a bad plumber/electrician and a good one. It also doesn't tell you which guys will finish the job quickly, and which will disappear halfway through.

First off, the government shouldn't be in the business of making it easier for you to shop for contractors. Second, even if they were involved, chances are whatever system they put in place would be grossly inadequate/ineffective.

The reason it's a crap shoot to find a good construction worker is because the pay dictates that the industry is populated with a bunch of losers.

And next time you need a contractor, call your local homebuilders association.

Moooo
07-28-2006, 09:25 PM
The reason it's a crap shoot to find a good construction worker is because the pay dictates that the industry is populated with a bunch of losers.

Why do you think that is? Its my opinion that its because there is little to no regulation of the product. If what you say is true, then maybe you suggest big business come in and uniform the industry, cause as it is, its pathetic.

Moooo

jspchief
07-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Why do you think that is? Its my opinion that its because there is little to no regulation of the product. If what you say is true, then maybe you suggest big business come in and uniform the industry, cause as it is, its pathetic.

MooooWhy? IMO it's because sometime in the last 50 years labor became a dirty word. There was a time when when being a tradesman was a respected job. Now it's what your parents tell you you'll end up as if you don't study harder in college.

On top of that, like I already mentioned, it's because price is the only selling point for so many people now. Ten years ago, if I got a call to bid a job, I set up an appointment to meet the customer and "sell" myself and my services. It was an opportunity to tell them why they should hire me instead of the other guy. Now, they just want an estimate dropped in the mailbox. That tells me from the start that it's only about price. And when you need to cut costs to lower prices, employees are the only option in this business. Instead of paying a premium for the top guys, you have to find guys that fit within the budget.

As for suggesting "big business", I have no idea where you get the idea that's what I'm saying. In fact, it's just the opposite.

jspchief
07-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Its my opinion that its because there is little to no regulation of the product.
Moooo

To this point...

You say it's because the product isn't regulated. But read your own anecdote. The problem wasn't that they got a framer that did a lousy job. It was that they got a guy that bailed on the job halfway through. A license isn't going to keep that from happening.

Moooo
07-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Why? IMO it's because sometime in the last 50 years labor became a dirty word. There was a time when when being a tradesman was a respected job. Now it's what your parents tell you you'll end up as if you don't study harder in college.

On top of that, like I already mentioned, it's because price is the only selling point for so many people now. Ten years ago, if I got a call to bid a job, I set up an appointment to meet the customer and "sell" myself and my services. It was an opportunity to tell them why they should hire me instead of the other guy. Now, they just want an estimate dropped in the mailbox. That tells me from the start that it's only about price. And when you need to cut costs to lower prices, employees are the only option in this business. Instead of paying a premium for the top guys, you have to find guys that fit within the budget.

As for suggesting "big business", I have no idea where you get the idea that's what I'm saying. In fact, it's just the opposite.

Because by putting it into bigger businesses you could lower that price while still maintaining quality. Plus bigger businesses have more protocol to follow, such as using quality tools, employee reviews, drug testing, and whatnot.

Moooo

jspchief
07-28-2006, 09:41 PM
Because by putting it into bigger businesses you could lower that price while still maintaining quality.
Moooo I don't believe that in the least. The bigger the business, the more ways for things to slip through the cracks. Quality always goes down with growth.

Moooo
07-28-2006, 09:43 PM
I don't believe that in the least. The bigger the business, the more ways for things to slip through the cracks. Quality always goes down with growth.

All I know is something needs to be done, cause 90% of the people in these trades cannot be self-regulated.

I've offered my ideas, but blaming society doesn't make the problem better...

Moooo

Rain Man
07-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Because by putting it into bigger businesses you could lower that price while still maintaining quality. Plus bigger businesses have more protocol to follow, such as using quality tools, employee reviews, drug testing, and whatnot.

Moooo

I must agree with jspchief. I've never seen a big company do anything better or more efficiently than a small company. Their only advantage is in raw lifting power.

That said, I think licensing can be a useful tool to a) ensure that people have at least a modicum of knowledge about their industry, and b) to provide a barrier to entry that keeps out the laziest, who will bail out halfway through the test as opposed to halfway through the job.

I hate myself for saying this since I don't like government intervention in most cases, but I kind of wish my industry was regulated. There are some very incompetent people out there who claim that they do market research, and all they do is damage the reputation of the industry. I could tell some stories about "market researchers" who have wasted thousands of dollars of their clients' money because they do shoddy research.

Guru
07-28-2006, 10:56 PM

Sounds like my experience when I was debating on vinyl siding or paint. It paritially helped me come to the decision to vinyl side. I was leaning that way anyway.

greg63
07-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Sounds like my experience when I was debating on vinyl siding or paint. It paritially helped me come to the decision to vinyl side. I was leaning that way anyway.

How's it goin?

Garcia Bronco
07-28-2006, 11:10 PM

He says as he doesn't finish his own deck project that he started.

Simplex3
07-29-2006, 06:57 AM

Moooo
ROFL

Oh, wait, you actually believe that?

Baconeater
07-29-2006, 07:01 AM
Just FTR, Wagner Power Painters=complete junk. However Wagner also makes low-end consumer grade airless paint sprayers that are decent.

Where Jiveturkey went wrong:

1. He went to the yellow pages, and the painters that advertise there are mostly big time contractors who are already booked up for months in advance. No one worth a shit is sitting around waiting for the phone to ring this time of the year.

2. He started it himself. The prep work is the most vital step of painting, and if the paint job fails prematurely the contractor knows they are going to get phone call whether it's their fault or not.

If you are a homeowner and you don't like to do these sorts of things, it's best to ask around and get a referral from a neighbor/friend/co-worker etc. All the business I get is from word of mouth, if I had to advertise in the YP I would have to charge twice as much because not only is it expensive, I would also have to hire someone just to answer the phone and I would be spending way too much time writing estimates for cheapskates.

And finally, if you are satisfied with the job the contractor did, PAY HIM PROMPTLY! Then the next time you need him in a pinch, he will probably work you in quicker.

Simplex3
07-29-2006, 07:05 AM
All I know is something needs to be done, cause 90% of the people in these trades cannot be self-regulated.

I've offered my ideas, but blaming society doesn't make the problem better...

Moooo
...because you're too f**king lazy to monitor your own contractors? We should all pay millions and millions more in taxes because you can't manage the people you hire to work for you? Give me a break.

When you're hiring a contractor, take some simple steps. Ask for two references and to see his photo book. If he hasn't taken the steps necessary to provide those two things he isn't the type of guy you want to work with. Does it take time to find the right guy? Yes. It also takes time to find the right employee in any situation, so this shouldn't come as a suprise. Good employees also already have jobs, so you'd better be prepared to wait a bit for them to get freed up.

I agree with JSP, this is a Wal-mart society problem. I want it cheap and now, then I want to be pissed off when I don't get exactly what I wanted and it lasts half the time I thought it would. Oh, and I don't want to have to search to find what I want, I want someone to open a warehouse where I can go and find three versions so that I can assume that's everything there is to offer.

Other than the military the govt. doesn't do a single thing right. For some reason you want to believe that they'd miraculously get this right, though.

Brock
07-29-2006, 07:10 AM
Just FTR, Wagner Power Painters=complete junk.

I couldn't disagree more.

BucEyedPea
07-29-2006, 07:11 AM
I must agree with jspchief. I've never seen a big company do anything better or more efficiently than a small company. Their only advantage is in raw lifting power.

That said, I think licensing can be a useful tool to a) ensure that people have at least a modicum of knowledge about their industry, and b) to provide a barrier to entry that keeps out the laziest, who will bail out halfway through the test as opposed to halfway through the job.

I hate myself for saying this since I don't like government intervention in most cases, but I kind of wish my industry was regulated. There are some very incompetent people out there who claim that they do market research, and all they do is damage the reputation of the industry. I could tell some stories about "market researchers" who have wasted thousands of dollars of their clients' money because they do shoddy research.

You don't really have to have the govt do the certifying...that would lead to establishing merely a mediocre standard of quality as govt usually does.

I think a good idea would be something along the lines of an Underwriter's Laboratory seal of approval which is sought out. You have that seal on it and you have a certain level of trust. Or like being Adobe Ceritfied. No govt and private. The rest is Buyer Beware.You take responsibility for checking them out.

Even school accreditation is done privately....which most don't even know.

Baconeater
07-29-2006, 07:20 AM
I couldn't disagree more.
Dude, I've been painting for 15 years and I've used nearly every type of painting device out there. Trust me, they are junk. They are noisy, slow and have a shitty spray pattern because they don't atomize the paint adequately. Total waste of money.

Brock
07-29-2006, 07:25 AM
Dude, I've been painting for 15 years and I've used nearly every type of painting device out there. Trust me, they are junk. They are noisy, slow and have a shitty spray pattern because they don't atomize the paint adequately. Total waste of money.

Well, let's just say my experience has been quite different.

jiveturkey
07-29-2006, 07:29 AM
Just FTR, Wagner Power Painters=complete junk. However Wagner also makes low-end consumer grade airless paint sprayers that are decent.

Where Jiveturkey went wrong:

1. He went to the yellow pages, and the painters that advertise there are mostly big time contractors who are already booked up for months in advance. No one worth a shit is sitting around waiting for the phone to ring this time of the year.

2. He started it himself. The prep work is the most vital step of painting, and if the paint job fails prematurely the contractor knows they are going to get phone call whether it's their fault or not.

If you are a homeowner and you don't like to do these sorts of things, it's best to ask around and get a referral from a neighbor/friend/co-worker etc. All the business I get is from word of mouth, if I had to advertise in the YP I would have to charge twice as much because not only is it expensive, I would also have to hire someone just to answer the phone and I would be spending way too much time writing estimates for cheapskates.

And finally, if you are satisfied with the job the contractor did, PAY HIM PROMPTLY! Then the next time you need him in a pinch, he will probably work you in quicker.

I never used the Yellow Pages. All of the problems are coming from referrals. And none of the possible contractors even know that I started the project. I also don't know where "cheapskate" came from. I'm willing to pay to have it done right.

jiveturkey
07-29-2006, 07:31 AM
He says as he doesn't finish his own deck project that he started.It does seem strange now that you bring it up. I just want it to look good and if that means paying someone to reprep it I'll even do that.

Everyone will be happy to know that candidates #6 and #7 have returned calls and will be coming out next week (hopefully).

Baconeater
07-29-2006, 07:35 AM
I never used the Yellow Pages. All of the problems are coming from referrals. And none of the possible contractors even know that I started the project. I also don't know where "cheapskate" came from. I'm willing to pay to have it done right.
Sorry, that was an assumption on my part. It's hard to find someone who's not buried this time of year. And by "cheapskate" I didn't specifically mean you, but the people who call 5-6 different contractors looking for the best price.

Baconeater
07-29-2006, 07:40 AM
Well, let's just say my experience has been quite different.
We are talking about the same thing here, right?
http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/280636_front200.jpg
I dunno. :shake: Maybe your standards aren't as high as mine.

Brock
07-29-2006, 07:44 AM
Maybe your standards aren't as high as mine.

Yeah, I'm sure that's it. :rolleyes:

Baconeater
07-29-2006, 07:54 AM
Yeah, I'm sure that's it. :rolleyes:
It must be, because you'll never see a pro using one either.

Brock
07-29-2006, 07:57 AM
It must be, because you'll never see a pro using one either.

Nothing personal, but I've never seen a pro painter whose opinion I'd really care about.

PastorMikH
07-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Dude, I've been painting for 15 years and I've used nearly every type of painting device out there. Trust me, they are junk. They are noisy, slow and have a [poor] spray pattern because they don't atomize the paint adequately. Total waste of money.

I know where you can get a job painting a deck...

As for the Wagner, If I were a professional I wouldn't use one either - and I would have serious concerns about a professional painter that I hired that brought one in to use. But for the average joe with a weekend do-it-yourself project they will do fine. I bought one to do a deck with about 5 years ago. Since then, it's painted many projects - even shot Elastomeric roof coating on a 40x60 metal roof with it and the thing is still going strong. I do make sure it is good and clean when I am through with it.

Baconeater
07-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Nothing personal, but I've never seen a pro painter whose opinion I'd really care about.
Usually if you're going to do something yourself, the best thing to do is look at how someone who does it for a living goes about it. If you're not interested in making a job easier and getting good results, that's your business I guess.

Baconeater
07-29-2006, 08:19 AM
I know where you can get a job painting a deck...

As for the Wagner, If I were a professional I wouldn't use one either - and I would have serious concerns about a professional painter that I hired that brought one in to use. But for the average joe with a weekend do-it-yourself project they will do fine. I bought one to do a deck with about 5 years ago. Since then, it's painted many projects - even shot Elastomeric roof coating on a 40x60 metal roof with it and the thing is still going strong. I do make sure it is good and clean when I am through with it.
It's probably ok for some small DIY projects I suppose, I just have a hard time recommending something that I can't even get good results with myself. The commercials for that thing burn me up as well, they don't even show anyone actually even USING the darn thing. I just couldn't imagine anyone trying to paint their house with one. The vibration from it is so bad my hand would be numb in 15 minutes.

PastorMikH
07-29-2006, 08:26 AM
It's probably ok for some small DIY projects I suppose, I just have a hard time recommending something that I can't even get good results with myself. The commercials for that thing burn me up as well, they don't even show anyone actually even USING the darn thing. I just couldn't imagine anyone trying to paint their house with one. The vibration from it is so bad my hand would be numb in 15 minutes.

With mine I've painted the Church (Trim, eaves, soffits, etc), 2 sheds, stained a deck, part of the Church's roof with elastomeric, and a 6x12 trailer that I built. The thing has done a decent job and is still going strong. It's saved me numerous days worth of work over brush/roller. Would I use it on indoor work? Probably not unless I was already shooting a textured wall where the occasional splatters wouldn't be seen. But for the most part it does fine. Remember too, most people that use them would do a poor job with a thousand dollar sprayer too.

Really, in all honesty, it did great on the deck with the thinner stain. In fact, if it were my deck, I'd have thought about stain before brushing primer on.

Brock
07-29-2006, 08:27 AM
With mine I've painted the Church (Trim, eaves, soffits, etc), 2 sheds, stained a deck, part of the Church's roof with elastomeric, and a 6x12 trailer that I built. The thing is still going strong. Would I use it on indoor work? Probably not unless I was already shooting a textured wall where the occasional splatters wouldn't be seen. But for the most part it does fine. Remember too, most people that use them would do a poor job with a thousand dollar sprayer too.

Really, in all honesty, it did great on the deck with the thinner stain. In fact, if it were my deck, I'd have thought about stain before brushing primer on.

No kidding. I've painted 3 houses with mine. It has more than paid for itself.

Baconeater
07-29-2006, 08:53 AM
With mine I've painted the Church (Trim, eaves, soffits, etc), 2 sheds, stained a deck, part of the Church's roof with elastomeric, and a 6x12 trailer that I built. The thing has done a decent job and is still going strong. It's saved me numerous days worth of work over brush/roller. Would I use it on indoor work? Probably not unless I was already shooting a textured wall where the occasional splatters wouldn't be seen. But for the most part it does fine. Remember too, most people that use them would do a poor job with a thousand dollar sprayer too.

You have a good point there. An inexperienced person operating an airless has the potential for disaster as well, and it can be dangerous too.

I also have to admit it's been a good ten years since I've used one, maybe they have improved them since then. They had a long way to go though, I couldn't get that thing out of my sight fast enough after trying to use it.

Agree about the deck, it's a bad idea to paint them as it doesn't hold up well. But if it's already been painted you really have no choice.

redbrian
07-29-2006, 09:23 AM
Ok here is my three cents on the subject.

First paint or stain on a deck, both are equally durable when applied properly and utilizing the proper product.
This means using deck paint (or sometimes labeled porch paint), it is specially formulated to be used on porches and decks.
Personally I prefer to paint the porch as I find it more aesthetically pleasing (especially homes built prior to the 20s).

Finding a good contractor, donít use the yellow page.
Call up you local HBA (home builders association) they will have a list of contractors both union and non-union.
Choose at least three of these, then get a minimum of three references from the contractors and then go out and look at the work and talk to the owners and or contractors whom they did the work for.

Sprayers, a home owner who paints only rarely can get very good results with a Wagner type sprayer.
The reason proís do not use them is because they are not built to be used daily, they are built for the odd job once or twice a year and are very good at that as long as they are properly maintained.
I have used utilized both and have found them to be equally good and troublesome on occasions.

Bwana
07-29-2006, 11:43 AM
As a professional painter and Plaster I take exception to your statement "Professional Painters are Lazy"Not all of us are, just 99% of them.

WTH? I thought you were a truck driver?

Mr. Flopnuts
07-29-2006, 11:52 AM

He's a truck driver on another board. I think over on the minge he's an exotic dancer. Overhead leads many lives. But first and foremost, he is Canadian!!!

Bwana
07-29-2006, 12:41 PM
He's a truck driver on another board. I think over on the minge he's an exotic dancer. Overhead leads many lives. But first and foremost, he is Canadian!!!

Goodness, he has more skills than (dare I say it?) Rich Scanlon!! Superman

Over-Head
07-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Dude.
I came off the highway alost 4 1/2 years ago.
Wakey up time.

**Just a side note I come from 3 generations of Plaster's and Painters.
I only went trucking when the industry fell apart in the late 80's

MahiMike
07-29-2006, 08:58 PM
You're just jealous u don't have a job that has more demand than supply. Having just finished painting my own house, I have greater respect for this profession. It's demanding work. I call it "Yoga on a ladder".

Phobia
07-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Well, let's just say my experience has been quite different.You're the only positive Wagner testimony I've heard. Ever.

Brock
07-30-2006, 06:29 AM
You're the only positive Wagner testimony I've heard. Ever.

You probably have a 50 dollar hammer in your toolbag.

PastorMike pretty much sums up how the non-contractor feels about paint guns.

dtebbe
07-30-2006, 06:29 AM
Hey, alcholics and habitual weed users have to work somewhere, right?

DT

Phobia
07-30-2006, 07:25 AM
You probably have a 50 dollar hammer in your toolbag.

PastorMike pretty much sums up how the non-contractor feels about paint guns.

Nah - I have a $28 hammer on the top end and it works just like the $8 hammers. Hopefully it will last a lot longer to justify the extra $20.

jspchief
07-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Nah - I have a $28 hammer on the top end and it works just like the $8 hammers. Hopefully it will last a lot longer to justify the extra $20.I have a $128 hammer, and it makes a much nicer thud sound when smashing my fingers.