PDA

View Full Version : Are the Royals through trading?

KChiefs1
07-29-2006, 11:31 AM
No trades by D-Moo in the last couple of days & the trading deadline is fast approaching...are the Royals done trading?:hmmm:

Coach
07-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Hmm... hopefully not. Would love for the Royals to get rid of Berroa before the deadline.

Angel Berroa = Neifi Perez.

58-4ever
07-29-2006, 11:41 AM
I don't think so. I honestly think Affeldt will be gone by the 31st.

KevB
07-29-2006, 11:47 AM
I think he's traded the players he was intent on trading. I think Elarton's injury gave Dayton pause in trading what was the only other vet capable of giving us 6+ innings nearly every start. He's added some depth to the organization, so now he's playing hardball with Redman and Affeldt.

He's reportedly holding steadfast in asking for Tabata from the Yankees for Redman. Tabata is one of their top 4 prospects. He's also likely hoping the Rockies cave and give up Shealy for Affeldt. Despite Affeldt's numbers, a tall, young lefty with a 96 MPH fastball and decent breaking ball has to be attractive to a team like Colorado. I think Grudz is staying, although Keppinger would likely fill in just fine. I also think Berroa is staying, unfortunately.

Coach
07-29-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't think so. I honestly think Affeldt will be gone by the 31st.

Ah, another one I forgot. Good talent, but a headache to watch him either bring the good stuff, or that the opponents tee'ing off of him.

FringeNC
07-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Redman will be traded. We won't pick up his option next year, so we won't even get draft picks if he leaves. He has to be traded.

CoMoChief
07-29-2006, 12:02 PM
It's kinda sad when you could make an argument that your AAA club could beat the Major League club.

Robo-Chachi
07-29-2006, 12:23 PM
All of our talent is in AA.

HemiEd
07-29-2006, 12:38 PM
I am starting to regret the above .500 record that kept Sweeney here.

Robo-Chachi
07-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Did you hear? Sweeney tweaked his back yesterday in a game.

Sweeney, a veteran Kansas City Royals star, joined the Wranglers on Friday as he attempts to rehab his injured back. He left the game after one at-bat. According to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Sweeney tweaked his upper back while ducking under a beam in the dugout.
---------------
From the Wichita paper

Sure-Oz
07-29-2006, 01:01 PM
That guy just can't catch a break at all, he really needs to just hang it up.

Demonpenz
07-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Taken from an kcroyals.com It is a sad day when the so-called heavenly "Christian" that is supposed to be Mike Sweeney won't do the "Right" thing because of material aspects. Makes you wonder if his whole "Better than everyone else because I am a wonderful Christian" phase was just a cover.

Coach
07-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Time to call it quits Sweeney. Roaf listened to his body, so I think you should do the same.

tk13
07-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Supposedly a lot of teams are calling about Redman. I believe I read that the Blue Jays have also called about him. The Yankees don't seem to want to give up anybody decent though. Their call I guess, hopefully Dayton keeps playing hardball with them. I'm sure Cashman really wants to be the GM that misses the playoffs under Steinbrenner because he wouldn't give up a 17 year old kid. Well, at least that's what I'd be telling him. :)

There was a quote in the Star the other day from an anonymous scout that said Affeldt has been throwing about "as well as he ever has"... something like that anyway. Thought he'd have value in this relievers market, but we'll see.

Demonpenz
07-29-2006, 01:26 PM
that carlos lee trade was brutal for the brewers. I thought they were supposed to contend soon.

chief2000
07-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Sweeney must have back surgery.

His career is over playing with bulging discs.

Surgery gives you hope for next season.

Sure-Oz
07-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Supposedly a lot of teams are calling about Redman. I believe I read that the Blue Jays have also called about him. The Yankees don't seem to want to give up anybody decent though. Their call I guess, hopefully Dayton keeps playing hardball with them. I'm sure Cashman really wants to be the GM that misses the playoffs under Steinbrenner because he wouldn't give up a 17 year old kid. Well, at least that's what I'd be telling him. :)

There was a quote in the Star the other day from an anonymous scout that said Affeldt has been throwing about "as well as he ever has"... something like that anyway. Thought he'd have value in this relievers market, but we'll see.
I also read something where a Affeldt for Shealy straight up trade faultered as well. I wonder if we will still try to get this done with Colorado? Well we got till monday 3pm i believe.

Pitt Gorilla
07-29-2006, 02:57 PM
I also read something where a Affeldt for Shealy straight up trade faultered as well. I wonder if we will still try to get this done with Colorado? Well we got till monday 3pm i believe.I wouldn't trade him just to trade him; if he really has "figured it out," we could always use another lefty in the pen. However, an Affeldt for Shealy would be great.

Mosbonian
07-29-2006, 03:16 PM
I hope Dayton Moore is playing hardball...I'm tired of being someone else's farm team....

I hope that Cashman in NY is sitting there sweating bullets because Dayton Moore isn't rolling over like Allard Baird would have for the Yankees...

I say, unless the price is right for us, keep guys like Affeldt....I understand trading Redman because next year we get nothing for him, but Affeldt is a different story.

As for Sweeney.....he just needs to hang it up. How many games has he played over the last 3 years. It seems that he has spent more time on the DL and in the Minors rehabbing than Deion Sanders spends counting his jewelry and flashy clothes.

mmaddog

Mr. Laz
07-29-2006, 05:19 PM
I am starting to regret the above .500 record that kept Sweeney here.
team would of been better off if he had left .... he just hasn't stayed healthy enough to make his 11 million per year contract worth it.

and now he's never even stays healthy long enough to trade.

Mr. Laz
07-29-2006, 05:20 PM
affeldt,Redman,borroa are a good bet.

if sweeney or sanders would ever get healthy for 2 seconds they'd be gone too.

BigChiefFan
07-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Sweeney has aspirations of his son being old enough to REMEMBER seeing his dad play in the big league. There was a big metro sports report that showed Sweeney bringing his son to the ballpark. After seeing that-Sweeney looked like he wanted to stay here another few years.

Sure-Oz
07-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Sweeney is playing in AA tonight and is 1-2 with HR....looks like the back thing wasnt that bad. Good for him!

KChiefs1
07-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Next year is Sweeney's last year on this big contract...think he'll magically get healthy next year right before he can go to free agency?

alnorth
07-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Next year is Sweeney's last year on this big contract...think he'll magically get healthy next year right before he can go to free agency?

I'd be ecstatic if that happened. He'd have trade value, and after all he's (tried to) done for the Royals, he deserves to be healthy enough to play for a winner.

Somehow, I doubt his back will hold up though, he'll probably give it a go for a year or two, go to the DL a few times, and call it a career.

Mosbonian
07-29-2006, 10:45 PM
I know Berroa is supposedly hurt, but I wonder if Blanco is back here in the show for a reason?

mmaddog

Sure-Oz
07-29-2006, 10:49 PM
I know Berroa is supposedly hurt, but I wonder if Blanco is back here in the show for a reason?

mmaddog
I'd think more so for his glove, since Graff was our utility guy, and the only other guy is German, and his glove kinda sucks. I think blanco would be a guy that just plays 2nd and SS, not sure about 3b.

Mosbonian
07-29-2006, 11:00 PM
I'd think more so for his glove, since Graff was our utility guy, and the only other guy is German, and his glove kinda sucks. I think blanco would be a guy that just plays 2nd and SS, not sure about 3b.

Thanks for shattering my dreams :banghead:

If i didn't like you so much I'd neg-rep you for that! :p

mmaddog

Sure-Oz
07-29-2006, 11:06 PM
Thanks for shattering my dreams :banghead:

If i didn't like you so much I'd neg-rep you for that! :p

mmaddog
ROFL
Trust me, i wouldn't mind seeing berroa shown the door, i have so far liked what Blanco has done with the bat the first two games. Since supposedly he's pretty weak. Kinda been shaky at SS, but solid. Next 24 hrs or so should be interesting.

KChiefs1
07-29-2006, 11:32 PM
http://mb3.scout.com/fkansascityroyalsfrm1.showMessage?topicID=6725.topic

Nick Athan aka Chiefs Insider shaking up the Royals Corner with these cryptic messages:

Taking a flyer from the report that Moore is working on a Blockbuster deal. I hear it could be very soon and that if it does go down it'll be before Monday...

I've heard rumblings of a SHOCKER in regards to the Royals. A lot has to happen but if it does go through KC fans are going to remember this trade forever.

Again A LOT HAS TO HAPPEN, there is big big money involved and the Royals have to be willing to move some popular prospects (not Gordon or Butler - they are untouchables right now)...

But if it goes down, Royals fans are going to be shocked!!! I mean shocked as in surprised they could acquire a player of this kind of calibre!!!

If your an NFL fan think Hercshel Walker type of deal!!!

I can only say that what the Royals might be getting would NEVER EVER have happened without Moore at the helm... And further without the financial support of David Glass.

Sorry but that's all I can drum up in Cheese Land covering the Chiefs...

Damn Dayton he's made me a Royals fan again. Who would of thought we'd even care again!!!

I stress and really stress that this is just something that I heard in the last couple of hours. I'm just passing it along... I'm not saying its GOING to happen...

Go Royals and CHIEFS!!!

&

Last hint... It's an AL guy... I can't say anything else!!! I'm not even saying the deal is going to happen. There now appears to be TWO possible blockbusters the Royals are in the midst of trying to make... Only one can happen but as the deadline gets closer the likelihood will be less and less because teams are getting nervous as we get closer to the deadline...

I will say this... Gordon, Butler and Tehan are not going to be traded!!! They are the three untouchables right now UNLESS the Royals get a crazy offer.

It's amazint that our guys are at a premium only because Moore has thrown out all their names to teams. He's in the middle of almost every major deal outside of Soriano... That's it I've said enough. If my source reads this, I'm a dead man... Hush... Don't tell anyone!!!

Sure-Oz
07-29-2006, 11:34 PM
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Shocker??? as in 2 in the pink and 1 in the stink blockbuster???!!!!

tk13
07-29-2006, 11:40 PM
Yeah, just to clarify... Athan is not actually breaking that story. There is a writer on Baseball Prospectus saying his sources are telling him that Dayton is working on something "big". He didn't elaborate though. Athan seems to agree, who knows. Everything I've read seems to say Dayton is sticking his nose in just about everything right now.

Buster Olney tonight on ESPN was saying that the Red Sox are working on a big multiple team deal... I don't know if that's what we're involved in or not. Olney just said he'd like to be in the Sox war room because it "has a lot of tentacles".

BigRock
07-29-2006, 11:43 PM
But if it goes down, Royals fans are going to be shocked!!! I mean shocked as in surprised they could acquire a player of this kind of calibre!!!

If your an NFL fan think Hercshel Walker type of deal!!!

Is Athan familiar with how the Walker trade worked out, or is he saying that the Royals are going to acquire a big name player who doesn't amount to much while they give up several key parts that help another team win a championship?

Jayhawkerman2001
07-29-2006, 11:44 PM
That sounds awesome tk13, i was thinking the same thing when i saw that on Baseball tonight. And about sweeney, the announcer on TV during the game tonight said that sweeney played tonight and hit a homerun, so i think his back is ok.

tk13
07-29-2006, 11:44 PM
Is Athan familiar with how the Walker trade worked out, or is he saying that the Royals are going to acquire a big name player who doesn't amount to much while they give up several key parts that help another team win a championship?
Haha yeah, that's what I was wondering...

Sure-Oz
07-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Yeah, just to clarify... Athan is not actually breaking that story. There is a writer on Baseball Prospectus saying his sources are telling him that Dayton is working on something "big". He didn't elaborate though. Athan seems to agree, who knows. Everything I've read seems to say Dayton is sticking his nose in just about everything right now.

Buster Olney tonight on ESPN was saying that the Red Sox are working on a big multiple team deal... I don't know if that's what we're involved in or not. Olney just said he'd like to be in the Sox war room because it "has a lot of tentacles".
All i know is that it seems as if Dayton has the power to do as he pleases and he has made being a royals fan exciting once again.

Jayhawkerman2001
07-29-2006, 11:53 PM
For some reason, Im thinking maybe somebody like A-rod, or Miguel Tejada or anybody that is a really good shortstop. People in New York hate A-rod, and was rumored to being shopped around. Just speculation on my part, but who knows.

FringeNC
07-30-2006, 12:11 AM
I don't buy acquiring a big name at all. We realistically have no shot competing in this division for the next couple years. Why would we want a high-priced vet instead of a prospect? It just makes no sense. Us trading OUR prospects for another team's AGING, EXPENSIVE star? Absurd.

VonneMarie
07-30-2006, 12:16 AM
I don't buy acquiring a big name at all. We realistically have no shot competing in this division for the next couple years. Why would we want a high-priced vet instead of a prospect? It just makes no sense. Us trading OUR prospects for another team's AGING, EXPENSIVE star? Absurd.
Agreed. We need to get all the prospects we can get.

big nasty kcnut
07-30-2006, 12:19 AM
I think it may be a raising star.

Moooo
07-30-2006, 12:22 AM

Exactly... If we're committed to the youth movement, we need to be committed to it wholeheartedly.

Moooo

tk13
07-30-2006, 12:25 AM
I have no idea.... you got me. I don't even know what to say, and I usually run my mouth on everything. I have no idea what Dayton's doing. I think he is looking at the big picture, I guess we'll see what happens, haha.

I'm confident he wouldn't sell the farm for somebody. I believe him when he says he won't deal just to do it, he'll have something in mind. You would have to think it'd be more towards a younger prospect though, I don't know. Maybe we have to give up someone like DeJesus or Greinke to do it.

Mecca
07-30-2006, 12:45 AM
When I read that the first thing I thought was Zack Grienkes gonna get traded.....

Pitt Gorilla
07-30-2006, 02:08 AM
When I read that, I though A-Rod or Tejada. I really don't want either one.

Oh, and I don't want to give up DeJesus.

JohnnyV13
07-30-2006, 02:23 AM
Actually,

I was thinking about Adrian Beltre of the Mariners. He signed a big contract, but hasn't lived up to it. He's still young enough the royals might consider him (27). Just what the mariners could wan't from KC, i'm not sure.

But even so, its a rumor floated by athan. I also thought of a popular royals prospect that's not Gordon or Butler, and i keep thinking Justin Huber.

That might make sense. Right now the royals sorta have a logjam of 1b, 3b, and DH types.

A multi party deal for Tejeda might make sense, where the royals play the role of supplying some of the young prospects (justin huber) or Mitch Maier, Chris Lubanski that the orioles want, probably in return for pitching prosepects from somebody else.

KChiefs1
07-30-2006, 10:04 AM
How old is Tejada?

chubychecker
07-30-2006, 10:24 AM
[QUOTE=KChiefs1
I will say this... Gordon, Butler and Tehan are not going to be traded!!! They are the three untouchables right now UNLESS the Royals get a crazy offer.
[/QUOTE]

Dejesus better be staying put as well. There are few young outfielders that I would prefer than him and those that I would are not going anywhere. Losing Greinke wouldn't bother me, I'm not convinced he will be able to mentally cut it.

chefsos
07-30-2006, 11:10 AM
How old is Tejada?
30. 31 next May.

Demonpenz
07-30-2006, 11:35 AM
as much as I would love a badass fielder we need to aquire arms. We can put a gritty fast team on the field to grind out runs. Arms is what wins games and World Series. Stockpile them. I would love just one stud at the front of the rotation. Of course that means you have to spend about 11 million a year, but i would love for the royals to atleast try that risk. That alone would be worth me dumping more of my salery in royals gear and going to the ball park

Mr. Laz
07-30-2006, 11:47 AM
as much as I would love a badass fielder we need to aquire arms. We can put a gritty fast team on the field to grind out runs. Arms is what wins games and World Series. Stockpile them. I would love just one stud at the front of the rotation. Of course that means you have to spend about 11 million a year, but i would love for the royals to atleast try that risk. That alone would be worth me dumping more of my salery in royals gear and going to the ball park
that's what we are spending on sweeney right now

If Mr. ER hangs them up after this season we can use that 11 million for pitching.

although i don't know that 11 million per year is enough for a stud pitcher these days.

Demonpenz
07-30-2006, 11:48 AM
yeah i think beckett was like 15 mil.

Demonpenz
07-30-2006, 11:48 AM
thats why i used the 11 million figure anyway. Whenever i hear 11 million i think of sweeney's grit and toughness j/k

Sure-Oz
07-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Adriane Beltre would be a joke, he has had 1 good year and the rest has been to his career avgs, except his power #'s this year have been WAY down and he may not even reach his 20 hrs. I am just hoping we get a good deal or 2 done, im not expecting a HUGE thing like that has been rumoured though.

Demonpenz
07-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Alex rodriguez in a royals uniform. IF you though new york fans were tough. Wait until you strike out and the kc fans don't get donuts!

Sure-Oz
07-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Abreu and Lidle were traded to the Yanks, so Sanders is likely not to be traded and Redman has a better chance of going to boston....hmm....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2534459
The Philadelphia Phillies and New York Yankees have a tentative deal to send Phillies right fiedler Bobby Abreu and pitcher Cory Lidle to New York ESPN.com's Jayson Stark and ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reported Sunday.

Stark reported the Yankees will send 18-year-old minor-league shrotstop C.J. Henry -- their No. 1 pick in 2005 -- and 27-year-old left-handed reliever Matt Smith. The Phillies will also pick one other minor-leauge player from an agreed-upon list, while the Yankees will take on responsibility for Abreu and Lidle's contracts. Abreu is owed $15 million for 2007 alone.

Abreu is hitting .277 with 8 home runs and 65 RBI in 99 games. He has a career batting average of .301 with 198 home runs and 841 RBI over 10 seasons.

Lidle, a right-hander, is 8-7 with a 4.74 ERA in 21 starts in 2006. In eight seasons he has a career mark of 78-69 with a 4.54 ERA.

Abreu was in the Phillies' starting lineup Sunday but was pulled for Shane Victorino 10 minutes before their game with the Florida Marlins.