PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sweeny's back problems continues

djrcmay
07-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Sweeney, a veteran Kansas City Royals star, joined the Wranglers on Friday as he attempts to rehab his injured back. He left the game after one at-bat. According to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Sweeney tweaked his upper back while ducking under a beam in the dugout.

Wranglers manager Frank White made no mention of Sweeney's injury after the game, and said he expected Sweeney to play in one game of tonight's doubleheader. But sources told the Democrat-Gazette that Sweeney was unlikely to play.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Sweeney, a veteran Kansas City Royals star, joined the Wranglers on Friday as he attempts to rehab his injured back. He left the game after one at-bat. According to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Sweeney tweaked his upper back while ducking under a beam in the dugout.

Wranglers manager Frank White made no mention of Sweeney's injury after the game, and said he expected Sweeney to play in one game of tonight's doubleheader. But sources told the Democrat-Gazette that Sweeney was unlikely to play.

ROFL

That's like spraining an ankle while getting a physical.

mcan
07-29-2006, 03:00 PM
This guy needs to retire. I'm sure it sucks not making the backend of your huge salary, but dude, if you blow out a disc you could end up with severe, shooting pains down your arm, neck, back, legs, etc... Truthfully, the guy obviously has Degenarative Disc Disease, and the rest of them are going to pop if he keeps trying to play a professional sport.

Morgan State 60
07-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Kansas City should have traded him when he was bitching about the franchise being non-competitive during the 2002 season.

Mecca
07-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Mike Sweeney probably strains his back looking at people walking by.

Bowser
07-29-2006, 04:50 PM
Wow. What's next, he sprains his wrist popping a zit?

Mr. Laz
07-29-2006, 04:57 PM
at this point, he just collecting a check until retirement.

Bowser
07-29-2006, 04:58 PM
at this point, he just collecting a check until retirement.

.....which should be about next week, if our new GM has any cajones.

Mr. Laz
07-29-2006, 05:06 PM
.....which should be about next week, if our new GM has any cajones.
baseball contracts are guaranteed ... it's not like Moore can actually do anything to sweeney.

he's not taking up a major league roster spot
cutting him doesn't save us money

baseball is set up so the teams have very few options.

the best we can hope for is that sweeney gets healthy enough so that we can trade him for a bag of doritos.

i doubt the the players association will just let Sweeney retire .... they will just tell him to hang around until we cut him so that he still gets paid another 11 million next year.

Al Bundy
07-29-2006, 05:14 PM
i doubt the the players association will just let Sweeney retire .... they will just tell him to hang around until we cut him so that he still gets paid another 11 million next year.

Exactly, there is no way they would let him retire. I wish for the sake of the team he would. My opinion of him is gone way down hill.

Sure-Oz
07-29-2006, 05:36 PM
How can the guy control if he gets hurt or not? Yeah he makes a shit load of money, but its not like he is out of shape or anything like that, just bad damn luck. He is a very nice guy and has put us in a definite bind with the injuries. We just gotta hope he can make it back on the field. People quickly forget how good he was, the timing of his contract and injuries are just a bad coincidenc.e.

Al Bundy
07-29-2006, 05:59 PM
I have watched him get flabby over the years, I mean take an interview from 2001 to one now. He is definitely not the same player conditioning wise he once was. He can't control the injuries but he can control wether or not he holds the franchise hostage with his contract. It is unfortunate for us that we signed him to the big deal and he has been injured for most of the time since then. With all that being said I hope he gets healthy again so we can finally trade him and get something out of him.

tk13
07-29-2006, 06:03 PM
He's actually tried to get better conditioned in the last year... supposedly the last year or so he lost a good chunk of weight and got in maybe the best shape of his life, but it didn't help.

Probably not going to either... a weak back is a weak back, I'm not sure there's much you can do really. I know it's not his fault, I'm sure he's frustrated by it too.

djrcmay
07-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Just hang it up, ALREADY!

KILLER_CLOWN
07-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Put him out to pasture on the Yankees, so he can collect his money and won't have to play. Steinbrenner wont mind pissing some money in the wind.