PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning Practice

milkman
07-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Sunday, July 30, 2006, Morning
K.C. Chiefs Training Camp Daily Updates

Today’s practice began at a cool 79 degrees, but the humidity was extremely high at 83 percent. There was a fresh breeze coming from the ESE at 5 mph. The high humidity made for a very sticky and uncomfortable day but the cloud cover did give the fans and players a bit of relief from the scorching sun, which should be out in its entirety at this afternoon’s practice.

Offense

Defense

Today’s morning practice was the first morning that the players wore full pads; it was also the practice where cornerback Ty Law made his first appearance.

Law suited up as a Kansas City Chief for the first time and looked good in his red No. 24 uniform. The secondary looked brilliant with the All-Pro Law starting opposite Pro Bowler Patrick Surtain.

Coach Herm Edwards said of Law’s first day, “He’s a little rusty but he’s only been here a day. The great part about him is that he’s in good shape. His footwork and stuff will come. We don’t want to wear him out on the first day.”

Law will be penciled in as the starting right cornerback which will mean he will play out of position, away from the left side, where he has played all of his career.

“He was here first,” said Law of Surtain. “I’ll be starting off on the right side but I think we’re going to be matching up on receivers. Whatever receiver we have, that’s what side we’re going to.”

Lenny Walls, who was playing right cornerback during camp until Law’s arrival, sat out today’s practice with what Coach Edwards said was a hamstring injury.

7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills highlighted most of practice, as players got physical and began looking like a solid NFL football team.

Cornerback Benny Sapp highlighted most of practice as he played the role of nickelback. Sapp made consistent stops, batted down passes, and even recovered a fumble. The fumble came when middle linebacker Kawika Mitchell leveled running back Derrick Ross.

Linebacker Keyaron Fox also made his presence felt by making big hits every time he got the chance.

Safety Jarrad Page joined the action late and made a huge hit on tight end Tony Gonzalez to cause an incomplete pass.

Linebacker Kendrell Bell intercepted a quarterback Trent Green pass and proceeded to take it the other way. Unfortunately for Bell, he coughed the ball up and gave it back to the offense thanks to center Casey Wiegmann’s recovery.

Players were flying around all over the field and were hungry to make plays. Safety Greg Wesley made quite a few on the day, none bigger than the hit he put on running back Larry Johnson.

Running back Quentin Griffin showed his athleticism most of practice. His skills did not help him though, when linebacker Boomer Grigsby blew up into the backfield and stopped Griffin in his tracks for a loss.
After an intense practice, cornerback Ty Law met with media to talk about his first day as a Chief. “I’m glad to be here,” said the 12-year NFL veteran. “If you asked me if I want another week or two off, everybody would like another week or two. As you get older in this game, everybody believes you don’t need four weeks of training camp. It’s a grind and it’s tough, but that’s what training camp is about.”

Special Teams

One of the first things on the agenda at this morning’s practice was the kicking drills. Kicker Lawrence Tynes was a perfect 7-7 on field goals, hitting from distances of 24, 28, 31, 34, 38, 40 and 44-yards. Long snapper Adam Johnson and punter Dustin Colquitt performed perfectly in snapping and holding the ball for Tynes.

Fans

To fans’ dismay, practice ended almost 30 minutes earlier than the previously scheduled time this morning.

Joe Gresback, 13, of River Falls, has been coming to camp since he can remember. Every day he rides his bike to Ramer Field Sports Complex to take in all that he can while the Chiefs are here. Gresback helps volunteer also. Some of his duties include working in the Information Gazebo and acting as a security guard, making sure no one goes on the paths around the north side of the fields. He’s a little disappointed that Priest Holmes isn’t back this year for camp.

Ken Harries and son, Tyler, 15, have been coming to training camp for seven years. They make the 11-hour drive from Topeka, Kan., to escape the 115 degree weather. Ken is glad to finally see cornerback Ty Law at camp. “It’s great for the team, and great for the defense for Law to be here now,” said Ken with a grin on his face. The Harries love coming to River Falls to experience this; they love UW-RF and said that everyone in the town is very welcoming.

This is the third summer camp for Gina and Josh Cleveland and family. Their sons, Jackson, 5, Samuel, 3, and Zachary, 1, were having a good time chasing each other around in the grass. The Clevelands like coming to camp because it means that football season is starting, which they are very excited about. Being from River Falls, they love it when the Chiefs come here every year. Gina thinks the community loves it too, “It’s just a great experience for everyone.” When asked why he liked the Chiefs, Jackson piped up, “Because they’re good!” Josh added that he thinks this year they definitely will be.

Craig Gillison from Independence, Mo., and Cheryl Hotchkiss from Grandview, Mo., are enjoying their first time in River Falls for the training camp. While they thought they would escape the heat in Missouri, Gillison and Hotchkiss were surprised by the hot weather, but were glad to feel a nice breeze at today’s practice. Both are looking forward to seeing the Chiefs this season, and would like to see them enter the playoffs. Gillison also mentioned that he really likes new Head Coach Herm Edwards and described him as a good communicator.

Beth Bass and Lorie Downing from Carthage, Mo., are spending their third summer at camp. They enjoy coming to River Falls each summer because they like to watch rookies and get autographs. Both Bass and Downing are excited for the new season and will be closely watching players such as cornerback Ty Law, linebacker Boomer Grisgby, running back Larry Johnson, wide receiver Eddie Kennison, wide receiver Dante Hall and quarterback Trent Green.

In the stands for the morning practice today were longtime Chiefs fans Francis and Brenda Fasching from Olathe, Kan. This is the Fasching’s first time at the training camp. Although they thought that the weather would be much cooler than it is back home, the Faschings are excited to be in River Falls and are having a great time.

Terri and Nicole Arnone came from Oak Gove, Kan., to experience their third year at camp. Terri enjoys coming to River Falls each summer because she likes to see her husband and children enjoy the practice. Terri’s daughter, Nicole, has fun watching her favorite players like wide receiver Dante Hall and running back Larry Johnson.

This is the fifth summer spent at camp in River Falls for Bill and Patricia Kent from Independence, Mo. The Kents look forward to camp each summer because they enjoy watching their favorite players practice and getting a chance to preview what to expect for the upcoming season. The Kents also like the city and people of River Falls, which they describe as, “very accommodating to Chiefs fans.”

Ronald Davis of Wichita, Kan., and his two daughters have been at training camp since Friday, and have really been impressed with how hard the players are practicing. Ronald has made the trip from Wichita three years and has never seen the players put forth so much effort. He was happy to see cornerback Ty Law at practice today, but noted, “It’s great to see him out there, but he can’t be the only savior. Others are going to have to step up to get our defense back on track.” Davis would like to stay for the whole camp, but must leave tonight because his daughters need to get back home for work.

Tom McIntyre and Pete Ruby had a close eye on #24 as he graced the fields today. “That William Bartee really has made improvements this year,” said McIntyre. Later they were informed that #24 is actually cornerback Ty Law, who was given the number from Bartee after he signed with the Chiefs last week. This morning was Law’s first practice with the Chiefs and the roster sheets hadn’t been updated.

Diana Wescott was peacefully sitting in the shade reading the latest issue of Better Homes and Garden, while her husband, Gary, a die-hard Chiefs fan, watched the morning practices. Although not much of a football fan, Diana doesn’t mind coming with her husband to attend the Chiefs’ practices. Originally from Kansas City and now residing in Minnesota, the Wescotts hope to one day return to their hometown.

Extra...Extra

Defensive linemen Ryan Sims and Tamba Hali looked like machines in drills today. Their intensity was very evident as time after time they broke through the offensive line to get to the quarterback. Defensive line coach Tim Krumrie was very vocal during the drills, which really got the lineman fired up. It’s surprising that these coaches still have a voice when practice is over with the way they scream and shout out plays.

After practice today, like most other days, a group of players went to the west field to practice with the jugs. The group of wide receivers, Kyle Brown, Jeris McIntyre, Nate Curry, Chris Hannon, Jeff Webb, Dante Hall and Sammy Knight, looked like they weren’t too tired for the drills after a shorter practice this morning.

The concession stands have a great selection of Chiefs’ hats and t-shirts, ranging from $14-25. They also carry flags, windsocks, stickers, checkbook covers and banners. It’s the perfect place for fans looking to get decked out in Chiefs’ gear.

JBucc
07-30-2006, 12:30 PM
The secondary looked brilliantYES!

Whatever receiver we have, that’s what side we’re going to.”YES AGAIN!

milkman
07-30-2006, 12:31 PM
I wonder if Law has told Gunt about this plan to macth up with receivers yet?

milkman
07-30-2006, 12:32 PM
This is also the second update that has mentioned an outstanding play by Page.

Nzoner
07-30-2006, 12:34 PM
If a mod is reading please delete my pitiful thread,milkman's is much better.

JBucc
07-30-2006, 12:34 PM
What's with all the useless crap about fans?

Count Alex's Losses
07-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Thank god.

Finally. This is Herm's doing. Thumping some sense into Gunther.

milkman
07-30-2006, 12:37 PM
What's with all the useless crap about fans?

I just cut and paste.

Who knows, maybe somone will recognize a name?

CosmicPal
07-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Linebacker Kendrell Bell intercepted a quarterback Trent Green pass and proceeded to take it the other way. Unfortunately for Bell, he coughed the ball up and gave it back to the offense thanks to center Casey Wiegmann’s recovery.

Well, there goes my hope that Bell will finally be a dominate player for the Chiefs. :D

el borracho
07-30-2006, 12:39 PM
A healthy Sims should be a productive Sims. Hope it lasts.

Count Alex's Losses
07-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Something good about Bell has been said in almost every off-season report through OTAs and TC. I still won't believe it until I see it in a real game, but it IS encouraging. If that guy returns to form, our defense is going to be fantastic.

milkman
07-30-2006, 12:44 PM
A healthy Sims should be a productive Sims. Hope it lasts.

That's what I'm praying for.

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 12:46 PM
(Long exhale). After that report, anyone got a cigarette?

4th and Long
07-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Thank god.

Finally. This is Herm's doing. Thumping some sense into Gunther.
Wow. Flip flop much?
is Germ Warfare stupid?
Supreme Commander GoChiefs, Grand Admiral SNR, 4 Star General Dave Lane and Lieutenant Chan93lx50 sure don't think so.

WE WANT YOU!
http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/5971/wewantyougermwarfare2oq.jpg
We're battling the negative vibes that Germ Edwards brings to Chiefs football.
Herm is a germ. He infects the organization with stupid decisions and shitty game management.

Eventually the organization dies from the infection (Jets 4-12).

Count Alex's Losses
07-30-2006, 12:48 PM
LIES! ALL LIES!

Coach
07-30-2006, 12:49 PM
That's what I'm praying for.

Same here, with a healthy and productive Bell and Sims.

4th and Long
07-30-2006, 12:50 PM
LIES! ALL LIES!
With that reply, you may want to consider a new user name. Might I suggest Bill Clinton or Richard Nixon?

the Talking Can
07-30-2006, 12:52 PM
I wonder if Law has told Gunt about this plan to macth up with receivers yet?

lol...my thought too...I hope he's right...

really really want to see Fox play, his myth is growing to replace Kris Wilson's (the Swiss Army FB/TE/WB [waterboy])....

milkman
07-30-2006, 12:52 PM
With that reply, you may want to consider a new user name. Might I suggest Bill Clinton or Richard Nixon?

How about Tommy Flannigan?

Count Alex's Losses
07-30-2006, 12:54 PM
John Kerry.

blueballs
07-30-2006, 12:54 PM
they are in Minnesota

"After practice today, like most other days, a group of players went to the west field to practice with the jugs. The group of wide receivers, Kyle Brown, Jeris McIntyre, Nate Curry, Chris Hannon, Jeff Webb, Dante Hall and Sammy Knight, looked like they weren’t too tired for the drills after a shorter practice this morning."

R&GHomer
07-30-2006, 12:55 PM
That's the second time Hali has been singled out for intensity, sounds like he might be rubbing off on ole Sims. Nothing like a rookie coming into camp and showing up a vet, especially when said vet is in a contract year. I think "barring injuries" Sims is going to have a fantastic year.

milkman
07-30-2006, 12:57 PM
That's the second time Hali has been singled out for intensity, sounds like he just might be rubbing of on ole Sims. Nothing like a rookie coming into camp and showing up a vet, especially when said vet is in a contract year. I think "barring injuries" Sims is going to have a fantastic year.

I'm pretty sure I read it was that intensity, that "relentlessness" that really sold the Chiefs on Hali.

milkman
07-30-2006, 01:02 PM
I just caught this.

Tom McIntyre and Pete Ruby had a close eye on #24 as he graced the fields today. “That William Bartee really has made improvements this year,” said McIntyre. Later they were informed that #24 is actually cornerback Ty Law, who was given the number from Bartee after he signed with the Chiefs last week. This morning was Law’s first practice with the Chiefs and the roster sheets hadn’t been updated.

ROFL

R&GHomer
07-30-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm pretty sure I read it was that intensity, that "relentlessness" that really sold the Chiefs on Hali.

I remember reading that also. Good too see that they got it right for a change. I seem to remember DV crying over Sims work ethic and intensity, boy what a crock of shit that turned out to be. That being said, I still think Sims is going to have a good year.

Bwana
07-30-2006, 01:19 PM
I just caught this.

ROFL

No shit! ROFL

Here's to you Tom McIntyre and Pete Ruby! :toast:

milkman
07-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Sunday, July 30, 2006, Afternoon
K.C. Chiefs Training Camp Daily Updates

There is a heat advisory in effect until 8 p.m. for River Falls. A heat index of 110 degrees was pushing fans away this afternoon, as attendance was down over 200 from what it was this morning. There was a cool breeze coming from the SSE at 9mph, but clear, sunny skies and humidity at 63 percent kept it hot.

Extra...Extra

Each summer on average, River Falls has 14 days where the temperature reaches over 90 degrees. According to Twin Cities Weather Service, today is the 19th day already this summer that has reached that level. In 2005, there were only three days recorded that were that hot. The record was in 1988, when there was a whopping 44 days where the temperature was over 90 degrees. Hopefully, this summer won't be the one to break it.

Special Teams

This afternoon’s practice featured a lot of punt and kick-off coverage drills. Special Teams Coach Mike Priefer was bouncing around the field, yelling out plays and giving his opinion on player performances when needed. “Catch the freaking ball,” yelled Priefer when punt returner Kyle Brown dropped a punt. Energetic and comedic defensive end Jared Allen brought a few laughs to the steamy practice by scorching down the field on punt coverage drills, screaming at the top of his lungs.

Getting looks at punt and kick returns today were Brown, cornerback Chris Johnson, wide receiver Nate Curry and running back McKenzi Smith. Pro Bowl kick returner Dante Hall got the most work out of the group.

Punter Dustin Colquitt looked fresh at today’s practice, punting the ball 20 times for a whopping average of 55 yards. That number is a bit misleading considering there were no returns today, but nonetheless he appeared to have a lively leg that got good remarks from coach Priefer after practice: “Dustin looks more mature and his leg seems to be getting much stronger.” Practice was highlighted by a punt from Colquitt that traveled 102 yards.

Another highlight came when wide receiver Jeris McIntyre made an outstanding play on coverage by stopping the ball on the 1-yard line and preventing the punt from being a touchback.

After practice, Priefer spent a few moments fielding questions from the media. Priefer strongly stated that he felt this will be the year that Dante Hall returns to being the Pro Bowl player he once was. Priefer said with a sigh of relief, “I’m just happy I don’t have to worry about playing against him anymore, like last year with the Giants.” Coaching with the New York Giants the last three years, Priefer spent sleepless nights before games against the Chiefs, trying to figure out how to the stop the speedy return man.

Priefer also stated that he thought kicker Lawrence Tyne’s leg looked very strong in drills today.

Safeties Bernard Pollard and Jarrad Page, drafted this year, appear to have Priefer’s confidence. “They like to hit, they’re smart and most importantly they love to play football. Special teams players have to love to play football.” If that opinion holds true, you can expect to see both players get a lot of time on special teams.

Fans

Brian Zimmerman and Brianne Hinz of Kansas City are first-timers this summer at camp. They drove up to see friends who live in the Twin Cities area, and decided they should come to see the Chiefs as long as they were just across the Minnesota-Wisconsin border, in River Falls. They’ve been to camp a few different days now, but today has definitely been the hottest. They really enjoy the River Falls community. Zimmerman said it’s definitely a nice town, “It’s neat to get away from the metro.” He also said he likes how Coach Herm Edwards runs things, “[Dick] Vermeil cried too much.”

Cameron and Shelly Wiggins are Chiefs season ticket holders, but are seeing them in River Falls for the first time ever. They are already having such a good time that they plan on returning year after year. Cameron had a few thoughts on Edwards, “He pays a lot more attention to detail [than Vermeil]. Execution is key.”

Jared Brewster, 11, is excited to see defensive end Jared Allen this year. They have the same name, play the same position and Brewster is even willing to change his number to be more like Allen. Brewster came to camp this year with dad Ellis, mom Denise, and sister Nikki, 7, who was decked out in Chiefs’ tattoos. They made the drive up from Liberty, Mo. Nikki and Jared’s favorite part of camp is getting to meet the players and getting their autographs. The Brewsters think they will be returning again next year because “River Falls has such a nice campus. Everyone is really friendly,” stated Denise.

Riley Schmitz, 11, and Brian Casello, 12, from River Falls, both love coming to training camp each summer. This is Schmitz’s third year at camp and Casello’s second. Their friend Dillon Anderson, 14, from Baldwin, Wis., also enjoys watching practice at his second year at camp. Schmitz likes it when everyone from Kansas City comes to River Falls. He said, “I like it when the Chiefs are in town because it is less boring, and I like to watch my favorite players.” Some of those players include running back Larry Johnson and running back Priest Holmes. Some of Casello’s and Anderson’s favorite players include running back Larry Johnson, quarterback Trent Green, tight end Tony Gonzalez and wide receiver Dante Hall. Casello was very excited to receive autographs from Gonzalez, Green and Johnson, while Anderson was thrilled to shake hands with Head Coach Herm Edwards.

Deb Kittilson, from Prescott, Wis., was present at today’s practice. Kittilson, who is in her fourth year as a volunteer for Chiefs security, was fully decked out in her Chiefs gear. She has been coming to the training camp as long as she’s been a volunteer, and enjoys seeing the rookies, drills, plays, and the communication between the coach and the team. Kittilson loves working security, and has become good friends with other security staff. She was even invited to watch a home opener from the field at Arrowhead Stadium last year. Kittilson also enjoys working at Family Fun Night, and is looking forward to the upcoming event this Saturday.

It is the fifth year that Joe McCollins and his son Dustin, 9, have come from Kansas City to watch their favorite NFL team practice in River Falls. The McCollins' come to camp each year to see their favorite players, including quarterback Trent Green, tight end Tony Gonzalez, running back Larry Johnson, and wide receiver Dante Hall. Dustin is disappointed about not seeing running back Priest Holmes this summer, but is excited to see new Coach Herm Edwards on the practice field.

Coach
07-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Holy... Duhniese made the trip there? *shocked*

I do wonder that 102 yard punt that Colquitt was wind-aided.... :hmmm:

big nasty kcnut
07-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Glad to hear about bell we need the push up the middle to mess up the other team pocket and get allen and tambi in the qb grill.

Mecca
07-30-2006, 10:54 PM
I think Page has a spot on this team......also probably something that will make alot of people here upset........I think Adam Johnson is going to get the longsnapper spot over Kendall Gammon.

greg63
07-30-2006, 11:06 PM

Nice bi-partisan response. :D

Tribal Warfare
07-31-2006, 05:28 AM
Defensive line starters

De- Hali
DT- Ed Reed
DT Ryan Sims
DE- Jared Allen
CB- Law
CB- Surtain
FS- Wesley
SS- Knight/Pollard

The O-line

LT- Turley
LG- Waters
Center- Weigman
RG- Shields
RT Sampson/Svitek

jynni
07-31-2006, 08:47 AM
Safety Greg Wesley made quite a few on the day, none bigger than the hit he put on running back Larry Johnson.
Okay, a little late to the party but this caught my eye. Wasn't Wesley the dumb**** who leveled Priest last year during camp? Gave him a mild concussion or something.

I know - contact - blah blah - but someone needs to tell him not to break the RBs. The depth is a little shallower this year.

Cave Johnson
07-31-2006, 09:13 AM
Defensive line starters

DT- Ed Reed

Great ballhawking skills at DT, but he might get pushed around a bit in the trenches.