PDA

View Full Version : Vick still having all kinds of problems in Atlanta with the offense

FringeNC
07-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Vick, coaches not on same page
Insider
Green
By Jeremy Green
Scouts Inc.
Archive

A strong relationship between a starting QB and his offensive coordinator or head coach is fundamental to the success of a football team. In the case of the Atlanta Falcons, that relationship is strained. This past offseason it became very apparent that Michael Vick is not happy with the offense and, while they have never said it publicly, it is fairly evident that offensive coordinator Greg Knapp and head coach Jim Mora Jr. aren't excited about the way Vick runs the system.

I have experience in this area. I came to the Cleveland Browns the year after Tim Couch was drafted. Couch had played in a shotgun system at Kentucky. The offense relied on a lot of short, quick throws. The offense in Cleveland consisted of a vertical passing game based off five- and seven-step drops. Head coach Chris Palmer believed he could make Couch fit the system.

Mora and Knapp didn't draft Vick, but feel he can adapt to their offensive system. Unfortunately, like Couch in Cleveland, Vick has struggled mightily to adapt to a West Coast offense.

Vick looks extremely confused in the system. He does not have the quick trigger to deliver the ball on his three-step reads and often pulls the ball down, disrupting the rhythm and the flow of the offense. Once he leaves the pocket, the receivers need to scramble and find open areas. While Steve Young had some success with this approach, it is really not the way to operate a West Coast system.

However, all the blame for the Falcons' offensive struggles can't be attributed to Vick. The organization is just as much to blame. The offense has lost its way. Vick is a better vertical passer. In two of the last three drafts, the Falcons have selected receivers in the first round. Atlanta selected Ohio State's Michael Jenkins in 2004 and Roddy White from UAB in 2005.

Drafting wide receivers made sense. The Falcons needed quality weapons to help Vick develop. The fact that both Jenkins and White are vertical threats is great for Vick, but also hinders the passing game. The Falcons now have a quarterback and two receivers who don't fit the offense they are trying to run.

Last season, the Falcons finished first in rushing and 27th in passing. Opponents began committing eight men to the box to stop their rushing attack, yet the Falcons still couldn't throw the ball with any consistency. I'm not sure anyone knows exactly what they are trying to do offensively.

Vick clearly has a mentality different from his head coach and the offensive staff. With Atlanta's coaches entering the season on the hot seat, Vick also will be under heavy scrutiny. If the offense sputters and the Falcons are losing games, the finger pointing will begin. The calls for backup Matt Schaub will also come. If the Falcons do make the move to Schaub, they will essentially be admiting Vick is incapable of running the offense.

This is a dangerous game the coaching staff is playing. Vick has the respect of every player in that locker room. When he talks, people listen. But Vick needs this coaching staff to believe in him, as much as the staff needs Vick to believe in the offensive system.

Atlanta is too good to miss the playoffs, but the lackluster passing attack must improve. It's time for Vick and the coaches to get on the same page.

Jeremy Green is director of pro scouting for Scouts Inc. He has been an NFL scout for 11 years, including two as director of pro personnel for the Cleveland Browns.

Moooo
07-30-2006, 04:19 PM
I heard he gave his whole O-Line herpes...

Moooo

milkman
07-30-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm shocked!

milkman
07-30-2006, 04:20 PM
I heard he gave his whole O-Line herpes...

Moooo

I guess that is one thing that he can pass.

Cochise
07-30-2006, 04:31 PM
They have so much invested in him, from money to basically the whole team's identity. It would be hard for them to give up on him.

Demonpenz
07-30-2006, 04:35 PM
take a good look titan fans.

cdcox
07-30-2006, 04:37 PM
He's the best QB in the NFL today, bar none. /college fan

Moooo
07-30-2006, 04:39 PM
take a good look titan fans.

I thought Young was more comparable to McNabb than Vick...

Is Young really that fast?

Moooo

FringeNC
07-30-2006, 04:42 PM
They have so much invested in him, from money to basically the whole team's identity. It would be hard for them to give up on him.

but a sunk cost is a ...sunk cost

The problem I can see is that the coach wants to win, and will want to play Schaub. The question is whether Atlanta fans want to win or see highlight film reels.

That point about the D playing 8 men up...I noticed that in the NFC Championship a few years ago. Vick is one of the worst QBs in the league. The D dares him to throw, and Atlanta has such little confidence in him, they still run with 8 guys up.

dtrain
07-30-2006, 04:46 PM
A good coach fits a system to the players not try to make the players fit a system. They should open it up and let Vick do his thing.

ChiefsfaninPA
07-30-2006, 05:15 PM
A good coach fits a system to the players not try to make the players fit a system. They should open it up and let Vick do his thing.

I am thinking in these same terms. I understand the coach knows what system he is capable of running better, but when you have a guy who has the talent that he has, why are they making him FIT into THEIR system instead of developing one he can excel at and they understand themselves. It is the coaches(for being stubborn) as much as the player(for not making the system work).

chop
07-30-2006, 05:18 PM

cliche of the day.

Tell me what system fits Vicks throwing ability? He can run and he can throw (just not very accurately). He's not the best when it comes to reading defenses. What system are you going to implement?

ChiefsfaninPA
07-30-2006, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=chop]cliche of the day.

Tell me what system fits Vicks throwing ability? He can run and he can throw (just not very accurately). He's not the best when it comes to reading defenses. What system are you going to implement?[/QUOTE

Create one. These OC and HC think they are so smart and football savvy.

milkman
07-30-2006, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=chop]cliche of the day.

Tell me what system fits Vicks throwing ability? He can run and he can throw (just not very accurately). He's not the best when it comes to reading defenses. What system are you going to implement?[/QUOTE

Create one. These OC and HC think they are so smart and football savvy.

The problem is, these OCs and HCs know that in order for any system to succeed in the NFL, they have to have a QB with the ability to make reads and make passes.

As creative as some of these guys are, they can't create a system that improves Vick's QB skills.

the Talking Can
07-30-2006, 05:46 PM
shitty QBs frequently have problems with "the offense"...

cdcox
07-30-2006, 05:49 PM
cliche of the day.

Tell me what system fits Vicks throwing ability? He can run and he can throw (just not very accurately). He's not the best when it comes to reading defenses. What system are you going to implement?

Seriously, an a ad lib passing game would be the thing that would be the hardest to defend. The recievers would have initial routes and Vick would roll out. If the initial read or two weren't open, Vick shold just scrample and the recievers move toward open spaces. Keep open the threat to run. Ad libbing is where his talents are the best. He's never going to run a precision offense and would waste the talents that he does have.

the Talking Can
07-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Seriously, an a ad lib passing game would be the thing that would be the hardest to defend. The recievers would have initial routes and Vick would roll out. If the initial read or two weren't open, Vick shold just scrample and the recievers move toward open spaces. Keep open the threat to run. Ad libbing is where his talents are the best. He's never going to run a precision offense and would waste the talents that he does have.

that kills...on XBox....

FringeNC
07-30-2006, 05:54 PM

That might work; however, I question the career length of Vick employing such as offense.

Demonpenz
07-30-2006, 05:54 PM
That might work; however, I question the career length of Vick employing such as offense.

what does it matter. At this rate he won't be in the league for that long anyway.

cdcox
07-30-2006, 05:56 PM

So would you rather have a good QB for a few years or a crappy QB for 10 years?

FringeNC
07-30-2006, 05:58 PM
So would you rather have a good QB for a few years or a crappy QB for 10 years?

Hey, I'd do it, especially given Schaub as a backup. Schaub would see the field early in the season. Just saying that Vick won't make it through the year.

cdcox
07-30-2006, 05:59 PM
that kills...on XBox....

It couldn't be worse that running a Joe Montana offense with a Michael Vick brain.

milkman
07-30-2006, 06:02 PM

Doesn't matter.

He still has to see the field, find the open receiver, and make accurate throws, none of which he has yet shown he's capable of doing.

4th and Long
07-30-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm shocked!
Me too. We need an, "I'm Shocked!" smilie.

Demonpenz
07-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Me too. We need an, "I'm Shocked!" smilie.