PDA

View Full Version : Interviews with Trent, Ty, and Herm plus more...

DaFace
07-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Just a heads up that they've updated the video section of KCChiefs.com with interviews with Trent Green, Ty Law, and Herm. They've also got another one of those daily "Camping with the Chiefs" segments with Patrick Herb.

http://www.kcchiefs.com

On that note, could they have found anyone who would look more out of place interviewing players than Patrick Herb?

DaFace
07-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Q&A with HERM EDWARDS – 7/30
Jul 30, 2006, 12:57:07 PM

Herm Edwards Day 3 Morning - Windows Media | Real Video

TRAINING CAMP

HERM EDWARDS: “It was intended to be a physical practice and we got that out of it. That’s the good part.”

Q: You worked with the DB’s today. Was that intended?

EDWARDS: “That was on the schedule and it kind of looked like Ty Law shows up and I wanted to get camera time, but that was on the schedule before he was even here. I’ll go different places on the field and work with guys, but obviously that’s my background and (defensive backs coach) David Gibbs is kind enough to let me go over there once in a while.”

Q: Could you update us on Brian Water’s injury and what that does for this offensive line?

EDWARDS: “Obviously, it gives someone else an opportunity to go in there and play. It’s kind of ironic. Willie’s (Roaf) not here, we lose Brian and he’ll be out for a couple days or a week – the good thing is it’s not something that will hold him out for the year. But now it gives some young guys an opportunity and, that being said, we’ve got to find out who those guys are because we’ve got to get some kind of rhythm. That starts with your line. I thought the offensive line for the most part came off the ball pretty well and protected pretty well.”

Q: Is that going to be the biggest key because you have new guys? Is rhythm an issue?

EDWARDS: “You’ve got to get rhythm on offense because this is a rhythm offense. Most offenses thrive on rhythm and protecting and running the ball. That’s the key right now: find out who those guys are until those other guys come back; the younger guys are going to have to play and be given an opportunity. We may have to play some pre-season games like that. But eventually the veteran guys will come back and, hopefully, sooner than later.”

Q: Surtain and Law have played the same side, but will it depend on who the receivers are or….

EDWARDS: “That’s the great thing about both: they’ve both played both sides and they’ve also played in the nickel. Now Benny (Sapp) is doing a great job at nickel back. But that’s great about having two guys like that: they can actually go both sides like when I was back here before and we did that with Albert (Lewis) and Kevin (Ross). We played so much man-to-man that we could take anyone wherever they went.

“You’ve got guys who can adapt. Sometimes with corners who have played one side and your footwork is always on the left it’s very hard to transfer to go to the right. But these guys have done both.”

Q: Is it a good idea to have it like that?

EDWARDS: “I like it when you have the ability for guys to switch because when you do play man-to-man you have match ups on certain receivers. That’s how they used to do it in the old AFL and the formations never changed and they only changed the tight end.”

Q: What was wrong with Lenny Walls today?

EDWARDS: “He has a slight hamstring, so he missed today.”

Q: What about Craphonso Thorpe?

EDWARDS: “Craphonso has a shoulder bruise so he’s day-to-day.”

Q: Law said today he’s got a little rust.

EDWARDS: “Ah, he’s a little rusty, no doubt about it. But he’s only been in here a day. The thing about him is – and you can lose sight of it – he hasn’t been in OTA’s and mini-camp so all those practices we’ve had…this is his first football practice. The good thing about him is he’s in good shape. Now his footwork will come after practice but we don’t want to wear him out in the first day.”

Q: How’s Lenny Walls been practicing?

EDWARDS: “He’s been great; he’s been fantastic and now you’ve got three cornerbacks who have played a lot of football. Benny Sapp is a good football player too, and we’ve got some guys with some talent. Julian Battle, too, is making plays out here. His downfall has been he hasn’t been consistent.”

Q: Is Patrick Surtain receptive to moving to the right? Last year he was so comfortable on the left side?

EDWARDS: “Both these guys will; they’ll do whatever is best for the football team. That’s one thing you like about guys like this. They’ll do whatever is best for our team.”

Q: Any initial thoughts about Nick Reid at all?

EDWARDS: “He’s doing a good job. In shorts he might not have the flashiness of some guys, but in pads all of a sudden he shows up a lot better. He’s a very instinctive football player; you have to be for what he’s done and the accolades he’s received. He’s here and is going to get an opportunity and when you put the pads on it changes for a lot of guys. Some guys get better and some guys get lost when the pads come on. He doesn’t get lost.”

Q: As a guy who came into the league as an undrafted free agent and became a good player, do you maybe have a soft spot in your heart for guys like Nick Reid?

EDWARDS: “Always do, and always have a bit of anxiety for those guys. I know what they feel like. Now, it’s a little different than when I played. I played under Dick and Dick will cut you at any time because we had 125 guys, so I was always nervous for ten years. These guys will get a great opportunity and most of the players that play on teams — I would say more than half of your team – are guys that are third or fourth, sixth or seventh round draft picks or free agents. The number one and number two guys get all the accolades but there are so many players that are fantastic players that did not get drafted real high or were free agents.”

Count Zarth
07-30-2006, 04:54 PM
I really hate that guy. He's always in awe of anyone he's interviewing.

DaFace
07-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Q&A with QB TRENT GREEN - 7/30
Jul 30, 2006, 4:03:05 PM

Trent Green - Day 3 - Windows Media | Real Video

TRAINING CAMP
Q: You changed head coaches and offensive coordinators in the off-season, is that going to be a big transition for you?

GREEN: “No, I don’t think it will be. That really fit more into the mold that Norv Turner played with and the mold that Bobby Ross played with my first year in the league. In San Diego we had Marion Butts and Natrone Means, two big backs who pounded the ball and we utilized the play action in Washington. We had RB Stephen Davis and RB Terry Allen, did a lot of two wide receiver sets and we’re very similar in that regard. There won’t be much of an adjustment because the first half of my career was spent with that type of philosophy.”

Q: Do you have to approach what you do differently now that T Willie Roaf has retired and with G Brian Waters hurt right now, are you worried a little bit?

GREEN: “Obviously there’s some worry there. When three of the five guys from last year’s offensive line aren’t here right now. T Jordan Black started 10 games for us at different spots, so that’s a big benefit having him there and being able to flop sides, but yeah there’s some worry there. As far as changing what I do, not necessarily, knowing that they’re going to get squared away and guys are going to have to step up and play and this is a great opportunity for guys to step up and get experience and hopefully they take advantage of it and give us the depth we’ve talked about. I know that’s one of the things I’ve talked about this off-season, we’ve got to develop depth on the offensive side of the ball because we’re an older group. Guys have got to step up and some of the younger guys who haven’t had much of an opportunity got to play, some rookies got to play and this just creates an opportunity for them to get more reps.”

Q: Have you talked to Willie (Roaf) and tried to get him out of retirement?

GREEN: “I’ve sent him text messages and left messages and that sort of thing and haven’t heard back, but there are a number of guys who haven’t heard back. I don’t know if he’s just trying to avoid us to make a decision on his own and he doesn’t want that extra influence, but we definitely want him back. We have to prepare like he’s not coming back because he’s turned his papers in, you can reverse that, there’s a process you can do to reverse that, but because he has sent the papers in we have to move forward like he’s not going to be here. Right now Kyle Turley is playing left tackle and Will Svitek is rotating in there and getting some work in as well. With those two guys, somebody’s going to have to separate themselves to become the starter and go from there. If Willie does decide to come back, that’s a great thing from my standpoint and everybody else’s, but we have to move forward like he’s not.”

Q: So you think that there is a possibility that he will come back?

GREEN: “I’m still holding hope, yeah, I’m still holding hope that he will. The thing that is hard for me, I’m sure you guys have had a chance to talk to G Will Shields is Willie (Roaf) was the main guy to talk Will (Shields) into coming back. When they had talked about retiring together or coming back for one more season when Coach Edwards was brought in and Mike Solari was promoted to offensive coordinator, there were a lot of things there that they both liked. For him to decide to go the other way, I know Will’s not real happy about, but that’s not going to change his thought process. He’s already spent the time preparing and wants to play this year and play well. It’s just kind of bad timing.”

Q: If Willie does decide to stay retired and RB Priest Holmes doesn’t come back and play, do you feel that era for you and the Chiefs is over?

GREEN: “I think the era is over because coach Vermeil is gone, FB T-Rich (Tony Richardson) is gone, Priest is gone, Willie is potentially gone, yeah that’s a whole lot of people missing off of that five year run we had success with as an offense. We still have a lot of guys coming back and we’re still running the same offense, but you know, different coordinator, different head coach and potentially four or five new starters on offense, yeah that era is over.”

Q: Can you get nostalgic about that if you stop and think about it?

GREEN: “I don’t want to because I’ll save that for when my career is over reflecting on that. Yeah, it was a fun run, but now we have a whole new group that we need to start our own run. It’s exciting, guys are excited about it. We had a very spirited practice today. Full pads, a lot of reps, guys thumping, it was a lot more intense than yesterday’s full-padded practice and I thought guys responded really well to Coach Edwards’ challenges, the coordinators challenges and we had a really good practice. It was good to see this group grow today.”

Q: Do you think WR Samie Parker can take that extra step and establish himself as a consistent go to guy?

GREEN: “I think so and I told Samie coming into camp his big thing is just staying healthy. When you look at the success he’s had the last couple years he’s done well at times, but it’s just staying healthy. Most of the injuries aren’t his fault, just getting tackles a weird way he hurt his knee and you know just getting hit. What makes him special is that he’s not afraid to go over the middle, he’s not afraid to go into traffic and make catches and sometimes that can hurt you from an injury standpoint and that’s what’s really affected him. If he can stay healthy for a full 16 games, I see no reason why he can’t be a 1,000-yard receiver.”

Q: What differences have you seen during training camp in RB Larry Johnson now that he has been named the starter?

GREEN: “It really started in the off-season when Coach Edwards came in and said you’re the guy, you’re the starter, this is your offense and let’s roll with it. I think he really responded well to that and he’s taken on more of a leadership role being around for the entire off-season, being more vocal out on the field where as in the past when Priest is the guy, I’ve been in that situation where you’re the backup or the third guy and it’s not your place to say anything. He knew his role and he wasn’t very vocal at that time. Now that he’s in a position of being one of the team leaders he’s a lot more vocal and practicing at a lot different tempo and I think he’s just much more prepared for this season mentally and physically.”

Q: You mentioned the tempo; it seems that he’s running further down field after the plays than the other guys.

GREEN: ””Yeah, and that’s true. The thing about now is that our practices are shorter and there are less reps. When you’re out there and extra hour he generally wouldn’t finish that way, but Coach Edwards has said. ‘Listen we’re only going to be out there a short period of time. When we’re out there I want everyone going full speed and finishing plays because we’re not going to do extra condoning.’ So you’ve got to get your conditioning in those sets of plays and he’s responded well. Once again, growth, he’s responded to it and taken it upon himself that everyday I’m going to go flying down the field because this is his opportunity to build that endurance and to build that conditioning.”

Q: Can you talk about what CB Ty Law brings to the team?

GREEN: “I hope he’s just a great addition to the other guys we’ve brought in, to the philosophy that Coach Edwards has brought in. They spent a year last year together with the Jets so I think there’s some comfort there and I think Ty understands what Herm is going to want and he can take over that leadership role, be one of the leaders on the defense and he can express to those guys and they can communicate and understand a little more from where Herm’s coming from in his philosophy on the defensive side of the ball. I think all of those things are real positives. Herm’s made it very clear that the defense is going to be vastly improved and there’s been a great emphasis on that from a personnel and a philosophy standpoint. I think if you look at practice at times, and I’ve mentioned this in the spring, it gets frustrating for us as an offense because there whole thing is, and it’s no secret, respond to the ball, keep everything underneath and don’t give up the big plays, big runs, big passes. Well that’s what this offense has been for five years so it’s frustrating for us. That’s where we have to work on those things ourselves as an offense. When we’re running through plays against air or we’re running through individual plays with the receivers and the backs that’s where we have to get our work in. During team, their whole thing is not to give up the big play. We’ve got a couple in camp, but not very often because that’s what they’re really working on so they’re really working on responding, wrapping and tackling and those kinds of things. I think it will be a much different look for everybody.”

Q: How do you think offensive coordinator Mike Solari is doing so far?

GREEN: “He’s doing well. I reserve that because up to this point he’s had a great off-season, great training camp, great everything else, but when things start flying and you’re in the game and pre-season you’ll get a test and regular season you’ll get a test right away playing two playoff teams in Cincinnati and Denver, one on the road, that’s where the growth part comes as a coordinator. I’ve been with new coordinators, old coordinators, everything, and there’s always that first third down call, that first Red Zone call, you know those are all things that he’s going to have to do and nobody prepares harder than Mike. He puts in more hours than anybody and he’s a football junkie. I know he’ll be prepared and I know he’ll have his list ready to go for those situations and he’ll have to rely on his preparation, hey this is what I’ve studied, this is what I’ve come up with, this is what I’m anticipating in these situations. Man-to-man, zone, two-man, underneath, zone blitzes, those kinds of things and this is how I want to attack it and just go for it. I’m sure he won’t hesitate at all, but until we get in there we’ll see, but he’s doing well so far.”

Q: What takes a new coordinator the longest amount of time to get a grasp of?

GREEN: “I think it’s just some of those situational type stuff that comes up. I talking with QB Damon Huard and being with coach Belichick and seeing the situations that he forces his coordinators to be in. Coach Edwards did that to us in the spring, he’d blow the whistle and say, ‘ok it’s fourth and three from the seven yard line, we’ve got to have a touchdown, there’s six seconds left. Mike make your call. Gun make your call, let’s go.’ Those are the sorts of things that Herm’s doing a great job with. We haven’t done that yet because we’ve only had a couple practices, but I know from talking with him that’s something that we’re going to do more of as camp comes along and as the season goes along is those situational type things. At some point and time in the middle of practice, blow the whistle, ok here we are it’s third-and-three at the 45, we have to have a first down or otherwise we punt the ball and give them the ball and an opportunity to score at the end of the game with no time left. Those kinds of situational football is where you don’t have that on your script and that’s the way the game is. You know, the play to Larry (Johnson) against Oakland. We’re just trying to get into position and all of a sudden hit a little check down and he takes it 45 yards down to the one-yard line it’s like wait a second, we didn’t plan for this. Fortunately we had a time out in that situation so we could talk about it. Those kinds of things. What’s going to be your go to play in that situation? All of a sudden it happens so those are the type of situations I’m referring to.”

Q: Trent, are you starting to feel old at all?

GREEN: “No. Is my grey hair showing up in the lights here or something? I feel really good, people ask me how long I want to keep playing. I was fortunate or unfortunate depending on which way you look at it, I had a lot of time early in my career to try and establish myself so I didn’t have to take the beating that Brett Favre did, we’re only about six months apart in age, but he’s started over a hundred more games than me so he’s taken quite a bit more pounding, but the surgery has kind of caught me up to him a little bit as far as my knee is concerned. But I haven’t had any problems with those for six years, I feel really good. I feel really good and ready to go and like I said, Coach Edwards does a great job, he’s mentioned taking some of the veteran guys, some of the 30-plus year old guys, he’s already had them sit out a practice or have a limited practice and those kind of things wanting to keep them fresh. This whole thing is tempo. When you’re out on the field, he wants everyone going full speed, you’re not going to be out there very long so go tempo, go fast. Some of the more experience, I won’t say old, I’ll let you use that term, but some of the more experienced guys he’s given us some time off.”

Q: How confident to you feel in your backups in case you do go down?

GREEN: “I don’t plan on going down. What are you trying to stir up here? I’m not going down. Those guys are good. QB Damon (Huard) has started in this league and he’s been in this league a long time. He’s been in this offense now for three years and I feel real confident in what Damon can do. QBs Brodie (Croyle) and Casey (Printers) are just growing and learning this offense more and more every day. They’ve been real impressive, especially in the spring the way they responded the way they did in the spring. There’s so much terminology and they keep asking me over and over again how do you just rattle that fifteen-word play off so fast. It’s just repetition, you’ve got to do it over and over, sit in your rooms and do it over and over, watch film, and they’re growing well. There’s lots of competition now for those two spots. Damon understands that and Brodie and Casey understand that. It’s going to be fun to watch as the preseason unfolds.”

Q: How do you feel when you hear things like if Trent goes down, there goes the season?

GREEN: “Yeah, I heard it in ‘99, too. Then I started hearing the are you ever going to play again and those types of things. I don’t put a lot of weight in to those because I think those guys are going to be prepared, they’re going to be ready do go. It’s the same way with T Willie Roaf gone now, somebody’s going to have to step up and play. Whether it’s going to be Kyle Turley or Will Svitek or whoever it’s going to be. I don’t like hearing that as far as if Trent goes down what’s going to happen? Because I think we’re fine and I think the guys are going to be fine behind me, but I don’t plan on them playing unless it’s because I’m putting the hat on and over there sitting down. I feel good health-wise and I plan on keeping it that way.”

Q: With the amount of older guys here, do you feel there is a sense of urgency here between guys like WR Eddie Kennison to actually win it all this year?

GREEN: “I have that sense every year because of what happened to me in ‘99 and ‘94 next year isn’t promised to anybody. You never know what’s going to happen so you try and make the most of your opportunities. There’s no greater sense of urgency this year than there has every other year because of my experiences in the league nobody has promised me that I’m coming back next year. I want to, but nobody’s promised that in terms of staying healthy and changes that occur. That’s why you approach every year with a sense of urgency. You look at all the injuries that happened last year at quarterback. Kerry Collins, he thinks he’s going to be in Oakland now he’s trying to find a job, I don’t know if he signed with Tennessee or not, but there’s no guarantees in this business. Coach Vermeil told us his first meeting when he was head coach in Kansas City, ‘you don’t own these seats that you’re sitting in right now, you’re just using them until the next guy comes along.’ So don’t try and save yourself in terms of long-term goals. Concentrate on right now and try and get it done and that’s they way I’ve kind of always approached my career because you don’t really know.”

DaFace
07-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Q&A with CB TY LAW - 7/30
Jul 30, 2006, 1:12:09 PM

Ty Law at Camp - Day 3 - Windows Media | Real Video

TRAINING CAMP
Q: How was your first day?

LAW: “It was good. It was good getting back out there with the guys, a little rusty but we will see what happens tomorrow. I get better and better every day.”

Q: How much did you have to pay S William Bartee for that number (24)?

LAW: “You know what, he was a good guy. I’m going to keep it at that. He was a good guy about it, letting me get the number and I really appreciate it.”

Q: You don’t have that much rust to knock off do you?

LAW: “Well, when you haven’t played football since last season, remember I didn’t go to the playoffs last season so that was a little different for me. I think that any time you come into training camp you are a little rusty and that’s what training camp is for. You can train, you can practice, you can do all those things to get in shape, but once you get out here really competing and doing football it’s not the shame. It’s just being in the best condition that you can be.”

Q: You missed training camp last year, are you glad to be at camp this season?

LAW: “Yeah, I’m glad to be here, but if you asked me could I have took another week or so? Yeah, everybody wants a week or two. As you get older in this game everybody believes that you don’t need four weeks of training camp. It’s a grind and it’s tough, but that’s what training camp is about. I am glad that I’m here, but if you ask me a week from now I will tell you that I wish I would have come later in the week.”

Q: Herm’s practices are pretty short, though.

LAW: “Yeah, it was a short one today, but Herm is very high intensity and if you don’t give him the intensity that he wants he will start it over. So it can turn into one of those long practices if you don’t go out there and perform. Being with Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells, I’m used to the long hard ones. I really think it’s all what you put into it as well. If you go out there and work hard, you are going to exhaust yourself anyway.”

Q: CB Patrick (Surtain) and you like to play on the same side, what’s going to happen with that?

LAW: “Well you know what, we are going to be rotating every week and we’re both getting used to playing both sides. But yes, he was primarily a left (cornerback) and I was as well, but you know he was here first. So I will start off on the right side, but I think during the season we are going to be matching up on receivers. So whichever receiver we have, that’s what side we will go to.”

Q: Herm worked a lot with the defensive backs today in practice, what that to make you feel at home?

LAW: “No, that’s just Herman. He was a defensive back and he’s still one at heart even though he’s the head coach. So he’s going to be over there grilling us all the time and trying to get us used to how he wants us to play our coverages.”

Q: What are the differences from when you played with Herm last year?

LAW: “Well, it’s a totally different scheme adjustment. He pretty much let (former Jets defensive coordinator) Donnie Henderson run the show last year and he was just overseeing everything. If he had a coaching point from a technique standpoint he would jump in, but that was Donnie Henderson’s scheme last year.”

Q: Do you feel an extra pressure with people saying you are the final piece of the puzzle?

LAW: “No one puts more pressure on me than I do on myself, because I raise the bar pretty high for myself. I don’t feel any outside pressure. You know, I’ve played in too many big games to feel pressure. I am very confident in my abilities, it’s just going out there, getting the repetitions and just playing. Am I ready to go out there and play in a Super Bowl right now? No. I guess I’ve got to knock this rust off, but by the time opening day comes I should be ready to roll.”

Q: How do you assess the potential of this defense?

LAW: “The potential is here, especially with the secondary. It’s only my first day here and I’ve just gotten to run around with the guys for the first time, so you can’t tell that much. Just playing against the guys in the secondary and playing with them in Pro Bowls, things like that. CB Pat Surtain and S Sammy Knight, those guys have potential, they are All-Pro players and they are veterans. So I think we are going to have a good group back there in the secondary. You have LB Kendrell Bell who is a dominant player and he’s a force when he’s healthy. Like I said, the rest of guys, I know DE (Eric) Hicks can play, I don’t know too much about the rest of the guys up front, but I think once we get in there and show some intensity and we can feed off each other and everyone is going to be competing against each other, but with each other when we are out there on the field it’s going to make us a better defense and that’s what you have to have. ”

Q: Does it help a defense to have a head coach who is a defensive player?

LAW: “I think that is an added bonus, but the leadership is going to come from the guys on that field. We are going to have to come together because no matter how much they hoop and holler as a coaching staff and try to put us in the right position, we are the ones who are going to have to make the plays I think the key ingredient to our defensive and our team success are the players. We have to be able to trust one another, know where each other are going to be and just have an attitude about it, especially on defense.”

VonneMarie
07-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Could you make the font a little bit smaller? Thanks...

DaFace
07-30-2006, 05:03 PM
Could you make the font a little bit smaller? Thanks...

Haha...just thought I'd try and keep from having 10 pages worth of copied and pasted text. I'll put it back.

VonneMarie
07-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Haha...just thought I'd try and keep from having 10 pages worth of copied and pasted text. I'll put it back.
Mucho gracias. :)

Count Zarth
07-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Eric Hicks is a FORCE!

FringeNC
07-30-2006, 05:37 PM
Trent is getting as arrogant as Peyton. Trent reserving the right to say Mike Solari sucks. Funny stuff.

GREEN: “He’s doing well. I reserve that because up to this point he’s had a great off-season, great training camp, great everything else, but when things start flying and you’re in the game and pre-season you’ll get a test and regular season you’ll get a test right away playing two playoff teams in Cincinnati and Denver, one on the road, that’s where the growth part comes as a coordinator. I’ve been with new coordinators, old coordinators, everything, and there’s always that first third down call, that first Red Zone call, you know those are all things that he’s going to have to do and nobody prepares harder than Mike. He puts in more hours than anybody and he’s a football junkie. I know he’ll be prepared and I know he’ll have his list ready to go for those situations and he’ll have to rely on his preparation, hey this is what I’ve studied, this is what I’ve come up with, this is what I’m anticipating in these situations. Man-to-man, zone, two-man, underneath, zone blitzes, those kinds of things and this is how I want to attack it and just go for it. I’m sure he won’t hesitate at all, but until we get in there we’ll see, but he’s doing well so far.”

jspchief
07-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Trent is getting as arrogant as Peyton. Trent reserving the right to say Mike Solari sucks. Funny stuff.
Green probably knows more about the offense than Solari, truth be told.

CrazyHorse
07-30-2006, 06:18 PM

I didn't read it that way. I read it as "the Jury is still out" on the transition. When the games get started, it might be different, but so far he seems to be doing great.

If you read the text with arrogance, it will seem arrogant.

TG is about the least arrogant player on the roster.

FringeNC
07-30-2006, 06:23 PM

I agree. I didn't mean my comments as a put-down on Trent. I am glad he is putting pressure on Solari to be effective.

CoMoChief
07-30-2006, 06:37 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully Trent gets the opportunity to call plays at the line this season.

htismaqe
07-30-2006, 06:52 PM
That didn't sound arrogant to me. It sounded honest. Solari has never been an OC before, so naturally there's some learning involved.

stevieray
07-30-2006, 06:56 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully Trent gets the opportunity to call plays at the line this season.

That would be awesome.

cdcox
07-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Is this the first acknowldegement from someone with inside information that Priest is definitely done?

GREEN: “I think the era is over because coach Vermeil is gone, FB T-Rich (Tony Richardson) is gone, Priest is gone, Willie is potentially gone, yeah that’s a whole lot of people missing off of that five year run we had success with as an offense. We still have a lot of guys coming back and we’re still running the same offense, but you know, different coordinator, different head coach and potentially four or five new starters on offense, yeah that era is over.”

Chiefnj
07-30-2006, 09:34 PM
LAW: "So I will start off on the right side, but I think during the season we are going to be matching up on receivers. So whichever receiver we have, that’s what side we will go to.”

Thank you God, Jesus, Mohammed, Tom Cruise!!

Mr. Laz
07-30-2006, 09:48 PM
but I think during the season we are going to be matching up on receivers. So whichever receiver we have, that’s what side we will go to.”
well glory be and hallelujah ... it's about freaking time. :clap:

1. have the defense choose which CB vs WR match up that it prefers

2. lets a CB really study film on a particular WR so he can really look for keys.

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 05:43 AM
No chit. Maybe Herm finally convinced Gunther that you HAVE to play matchups in the NFL. Schemes with limited adjustability are too easily picked apart by offenses that have the refs on their side...

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2006, 06:13 AM
fo shizzle

Chieftain58
07-31-2006, 08:46 AM

Kinda weird he says Priest is gone, did he let something slip here? Priest is on the PUP not gone...hmmmm

JimNasium
07-31-2006, 08:47 AM

Kinda weird he says Priest is gone, did he let something slip here? Priest is on the PUP not gone...hmmmm
I think it means exactly what it says.

SNR
07-31-2006, 01:25 PM
Who's the asshole with the old comments? Green may have gray hair, but 10 bucks says he could kick whoever's ass was asking those questions. He sounded pissed.

booger
07-31-2006, 01:29 PM
watching the video of it i think it might have been the mighty rhonda. Asked him if he felt old.

Shoulda asked her if she felt fat, ugly, hideous, and repulsive.

DaFace
07-31-2006, 02:11 PM
Herm Edwards Day 4 - Windows Media | Real Video

TRAINING CAMP

HERM EDWARDS: “I thought we were going to fall into a little bit of a lull because this was the fourth consecutive day that we’ve gone out in pads as a team. They didn’t do that and that’s a good sign. That tells me that the veterans in the locker room are controlling the locker room and the mindset of this football team and that’s very important. It all starts up front with your linemen.”

Q: How is the defensive line doing? You always say it starts up front.

EDWARDS: “Coach Krumrie is doing a great job in coaching these guys thus far and they know what it’s going to take to be a successful player in this system. Basically they’ve got a choice – that’s what I tell them: you have a choice to become a better player or stay the same when you come to work. If you stay the same you won’t be around here. I think Coach Krumrie sets a great tempo for these guys.

“Probably the hardest part of practice for our defense is getting through the ‘individuals’ (drills). You guys watch practice, but if you just watch individual periods of 20 minutes, you’ll understand that if (the players) can just get through that…it’s 20 minutes of going hard. They can make it through practice if they can do that. It’s done for a reason, for a purpose. Our individual period is 20 minutes. Most teams don’t have 20 minute individual periods in the morning and afternoon. It’s a way of conditioning a football team and the mindset of a player. So, it makes it a little bit easier to play when they get on the field if they can get through that.”

Q: What about Tamba Hali?

EDWARDS: “He had to go to New Jersey to be a citizen and get his papers. I think he’ll be back tomorrow. I just told him congratulations and enjoy. It’s great.

“This is America. It’s a big deal. We can say we have some faults and every country does but this is the greatest country in the world because it gives people opportunities. You can dream in this country and actually fulfill your dream. In a lot of countries you can dream and you don’t have an opportunity. You can do it here when you’re a young guy. I had a lot of dreams when I was a young kid to be a professional football player and I had an opportunity to do that. That’s what I feel about our country.”

Q: Do you have a feel for what you can do with him or does he still have a way to go?

EDWARDS: “We know he can play in space. He can drop – he dropped in college in zone dogs. He can cover guys. He can come off the end. His first couple of years he actually played inside. So there’s a way we go and let him rush. I’m not going to sit here and give my game plan away to 31 teams but there’s a lot that we can do.”

Q: Do you imagine he will he be part of that pass rush package no matter what you’re going to do with him?

EDWARDS: “Oh yeah.”

Q: Obviously, he’s vying for a starting job and maybe would take the job of Eric Hicks. So what’s you philosophy when you hear talk like that?

EDWARDS: “Eric’s a pro. Regardless of who the starter is it’s a case where no starter has been determined yet. That’s part of the process of pro football. For our system we’re going to have four ends show up every week if they’re healthy because of the way we use our defensive lineman. The first game of the season will be hot and I did this in New York and Tampa: you know if you’re a defensive lineman you’re in a rotation system and are going to play. If you’re productive you’re in the rotation system. We don’t want any one guy to play over 50 plays they’re a defensive lineman. You’ve got to keep them fresh with what we’re asking them to do and how we’re asking them to play you can’t ask them to play that much.”

Q: What about the backup quarterback spot?

EDWARDS: “I think there is competition, Damon is a veteran guy and if Trent couldn’t play and we had to play a game today he would be the starting quarterback. But as this thing goes on we’ll see. He knows that and that’s good for him because it keeps him alert.

“But you’ve got to create competition within your football team. I think the quarterback position is one where there is competition at the second spot. There’s no doubt about it. Huard is the guy right now and we have two young guys that have a lot of potential.”

Q: You’ve said that all those guys could be on the final roster.

EDWARDS: “I’ve always said I keep the best 53 guys. I don’t look at positions because when you do that you cheat players and I’m not going to cheat players and this football team. I kept five (QBs) last year and a couple of times I’ve kept three kickers.”

Q: What about Ryan Sims? There were concerns about him in the off-season?

EDWARDS: “Not me, I wasn’t concerned. I never said that. Don’t put words in my mouth. I didn’t say it.

“I think Ryan has done a great job. He’s down to about 315 (pounds) and he’s moving well. He’s got a lot of energy in his body and is playing with a lot of confidence. I think his coach is doing a great job with him and he’s bought into what we’re asking him to do. We had a good talk before the spring ended. We were talking about what I expected out of him and how we were going to get it done. He’s done a great job of playing and he’s competing and is playing up to his talent level consistently. That’s what you want guys to do: you want them to be consistent. If they’re consistent then you know what you’ve got.”

Q: Is this the year for him; it seems like it’s this way every year?

EDWARDS: “I don’t know. I haven’t been here with him. This is the first time his name has been brought up. All I know is what I see right now. That’s all I can judge. He’s done everything he can do to come and be in shape in camp and compete and go hard.”

Q: Any idea when Brian Waters comes back?

EDWARDS: “It could be a week; it could be two weeks; it could be three weeks. We don’t know. I’m waiting day to day.”

Q: What about Lenny Walls?

EDWARDS: “Lenny Walls is going to be out until next week with a strained hamstring.”

Q: Update on Priest Holmes?

EDWARDS: “No update on Priest.”

Q: You haven’t had any guys have trouble with heat have you?

EDWARDS: “Nah, these guys have no heat problems. They’re not in pads this afternoon. Guys, I don’t worry about the heat. It all starts in the off-season program. I was in Tampa for five years and we never worried about any heat. You work up to this. It’s a mindset and you have to play in it and the thing our guys understand is we’re not out here that long. We’re going fast and they’re conditioned to playing football. These players don’t have to come out here and have to worry about pacing themselves. If you pace yourself I’ll stop practice and we’ll start over. That’s why you don’t see guys stepping out. They’re hydrating well ”

thepascalblaze
07-31-2006, 04:13 PM
Is Gunther just a "figurehead" or somethin? When Herm talks about the D he talks about position coaches but rarely mentions Gun... Is he the worlds first smellin' salt huffin' yellow lensed overpaid clipboard holder? Whatever works, I'm good with it.

Chiefnj
07-31-2006, 04:18 PM
Q: What about Ryan Sims? There were concerns about him in the off-season?

EDWARDS: “Not me, I wasn’t concerned. I never said that. Don’t put words in my mouth. I didn’t say it.

ROFL Someone needs to tell Herm it's okay to worry about Sims.

StcChief
07-31-2006, 05:25 PM
Green will be audible and they may do more hurry up plays. Stands to reason with Trent knowing the system
they can do that.

kcfanintitanhell
07-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Green will be audible and they may do more hurry up plays. Stands to reason with Trent knowing the system
they can do that.

That would be absolutely great. I didn't realize until halfway through last season that AS wouldn't let Trent do any audibles. IMO, I think that would have made a difference in the Buffalo game. OTH, it may have cost us another game somewhere else down the road. But I can see Trent Green, Offensive Coordinator, in his future.