PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame by Team

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 07:25 PM
The Willie Roaf thread and the fact that New Orleans doesn't produce a lot of Hall of Famers prompted me to this. The following list provides the number of TOTAL Hall of Famers produced by each team per decade. This counts all players who played for a team, even it's Len Dawson's time with the Steelers or Tony Dorsett's time with the Broncos.

HoFers per Decade
Oakland 3.91
Chicago 3.60
Cleveland 3.33
NY Giants 3.33
St. Louis 3.33
Dallas 3.26
Green Bay 3.06
Pittsburgh 3.01
Washington 2.70
Kansas City 2.61
Minnesota 2.61
Indianapolis 2.26
Miami 2.25
Philadelphia 2.19
San Diego 2.17
Tennessee 2.17
San Francisco 2.17
Detroit 2.11
Arizona 1.74
Seattle 1.33
Buffalo 1.30
New Orleans 1.11
NY Jets 1.09
Carolina 0.91
Tampa 0.67
Denver 0.65
New England 0.65
Cincinnati 0.53
Atlanta 0.50
Baltimore 0.00
Houston 0.00
Jacksonville 0.00

Now, if we only count people who were "substantial contributors" to a team, i.e., they earned their Hall of Fame in part or in whole by their contributions to that team, we get the stats shown below. The rankings end up being somewhat similar, but with a few key differences.

Note that a person can still be listed as a significant contributor to more than one team, e.g., Nick Buoniconti is listed as a "significant contributor" for both Miami and New England (which is ironic since he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame anyway).

Principal HoFers per Decade
Chicago 3.02
Oakland 2.83
Cleveland 2.50
Green Bay 2.47
Pittsburgh 2.33
Miami 2.25
NY Giants 2.22
Washington 2.03
Dallas 1.96
Indianapolis 1.89
St. Louis 1.88
San Francisco 1.83
Detroit 1.58
Kansas City 1.52
Minnesota 1.52
San Diego 1.30
Tennessee 1.30
Philadelphia 1.23
Buffalo 1.09
NY Jets 0.87
New England 0.65
Arizona 0.58
Seattle 0.33
Tampa 0.33
Cincinnati 0.26
New Orleans 0.22
Denver 0.22
Carolina 0.00
Atlanta 0.00
Baltimore 0.00
Houston 0.00
Jacksonville 0.00

4th and Long
07-30-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm assuming this is an informative thread because I can't really find a point to it, other than your usual desire to throw out numbers, obviously.

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 07:35 PM
It's quite informative. I think. Maybe.

One thing it tells me is that the dynasty teams tend to produce more "substantial contribution" players than other teams. That's shocking news.

4th and Long
07-30-2006, 07:36 PM
It's quite informative. I think. Maybe.
Way to stand firm. ;)

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 07:36 PM
It also tells me that about 4 future Hall of Famers are drafted every year.

4th and Long
07-30-2006, 07:37 PM
It also tells me that about 4 future Hall of Famers are drafted every year.
:spock: How many players are inducted into the hall each year? *ahem*

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 07:38 PM
:spock: How many players are inducted into the hall each year? *ahem*

Wow. Steady state flow.

Amnorix
07-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Yeah, Pats have sucked for years at HOFers. I'm fairly convinced that at least one guy should be in who isn't (Andre Tippett), but Nick Boniconti (sp?) balances that off, I guess, though I hate him, so not so much. :shake:

Even the current Pats team won't have many. Brady is a shoo-in, and he's the only one. Vinatieri is unlikely (possible, but unlikely), Belichick is a lock, but as a coach, Ty Law is a possibility, Seymour is probable if he keeps going the way he is, and that's probably about it from this team.

Corey Dillon, if he goes, is a Bengal, really. Harrison won't go, but if he did it would be as a Charger. The best LB corp in the NFL over the last 5 years (IMHO) won't have any go -- McGinest, Vrabel, Bruschi, Colvin, with a nod to Ted Johnson and Roman Phifer. I wish they could get some kind of group recognition, but it won't happen.

The '03 Chiefs and Colts will probably have more HOFers than the '03 SB winning Pats who repeated in '04. *sigh*

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 08:10 PM
How many sacks did Tippett end up with? There were a couple of years where I viewed him as equivalent to Lawrence Taylor, but Taylor overshadowed him quite a bit.

It's too bad that Mosi Tatupu won't make it, because I really like saying Mosi Tatupu. (Ever see the Simpsons episode where Homer is in the south Pacific with the islanders? The Mosi Tatupu thing cracked me up.)

Without looking at stats, I always thought Stanley Morgan was one of the top receivers in the league when he played. I'm guessing his prime years of eligibility have passed, though.

And what about Ben Coates? He was a stud TE, certainly better at his prime than some of the TEs in the HoF now. I'm not sure about his longevity and stats, though.

Amnorix
07-30-2006, 09:57 PM
How many sacks did Tippett end up with? There were a couple of years where I viewed him as equivalent to Lawrence Taylor, but Taylor overshadowed him quite a bit.

It's too bad that Mosi Tatupu won't make it, because I really like saying Mosi Tatupu. (Ever see the Simpsons episode where Homer is in the south Pacific with the islanders? The Mosi Tatupu thing cracked me up.)

Without looking at stats, I always thought Stanley Morgan was one of the top receivers in the league when he played. I'm guessing his prime years of eligibility have passed, though.

And what about Ben Coates? He was a stud TE, certainly better at his prime than some of the TEs in the HoF now. I'm not sure about his longevity and stats, though.

Tippett was easily the second best LB in the league for many years, IMHO, during the 80s. LT was so incredibly dominant, and played with such a great team and had so much talent around him, and was in NY besides, that he blew away Tippett when it came to recognition for his skills.

Tippett had 100 sacks. 17 forced fumbles. I tried to look up pro bowl appearances, but could only find that he went to 5 in a row. Not sure if 5 is all he had.

Steaming Stanley Morgan was easily the best Pats WR ever, but yeah, they don't compete with the HOF numbers needed.

Coates was the best at his position for 4 years or so, but the longevity isn't there. He fell off a cliff in a mighty big hurry in the late 90s, and his career numbers don't support it.

Kudos for your knowledge of Patriots players and history!

JohnnyV13
08-01-2006, 09:41 AM
What possible HOF's did the 03 chiefs have?

I can only come up with 3:

Roaf
Shields
Gonzalez

Holmes won't make it, because he only has 8000 career yards. For Holmes to make it, he needs to pull a "Marcus Allen" and put up 2000 more yards.

That would give him over 100 TDs, 10,000 yards and 3 totally dominant years. He also needs 12 more rushing TDs for 100 rushing TDs.

(well...3 1/2) if you count 2004.

Rain Man
08-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Roaf, Gonzalez, and Shields are the three obvious candidates, though Roaf's ticket was punched with the Saints.

Barring a surprise return, I don't see Priest getting the numbers to do it, and Trent's career started too late unless he somehow adds a couple of rings.

Allen just needs about 12 more years of the same production...and Johnson only needs about 9 more years of the same production.

Amnorix
08-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Brian Waters and Morten Anderson are also possibilities.

That's still more than that Pats, who have 1 lock (Brady), one likely (Seymour) and a whole bunch of guys ranging from "unlikely but possible" to "it'll be close".

Vinatieri might be a lock, but I doubt it. Kickers never have it easy, and his lifetime numbers aren't at the very tip-top or anything. He "just" has some very memorable kicks (I'm not downplaying it, just saying it the way it is).

He's 34, and only has half the career points of the Anderson/Andersen duo, for example. He's like 6th on career accuracy % (VanderJerk is #1), etc. Maybe that's enough. I dunno.

Brock
08-01-2006, 10:26 AM
Brian Waters and Morten Anderson are also possibilities.

That's still more than that Pats, who have 1 lock (Brady), one likely (Seymour) and a whole bunch of guys ranging from "unlikely but possible" to "it'll be close".

I'd say McGinest is more likely than Seymour.

Amnorix
08-01-2006, 10:38 AM
I'd say McGinest is more likely than Seymour.

Big Mac has 2 Pro Bowl appearances. What do you rate his chances with that?

Seymour has 4, and he's like 27 years old. He's also been first team all-pro at least once, maybe more, and I don't think Willie ever was.

Don't get me wrong, I love Willie, but unfortunately he lost some prime years to multiple injuries (groin and hammy, over and over and over again), and he just doesn't have anywhere near the numbers.

But if it's late in the 4th quarter and you need someone coming in off the edge, I'll take him in a heartbeat.

Brock
08-01-2006, 10:49 AM
He's been huge in the playoffs. I think people remember that more than they do pro bowls.