PDA

View Full Version : NY (Thin) or Chicago (Thick) Pizza?

Mojo Rising
07-30-2006, 10:38 PM
I just watched Travel Channels food wars which pitted NY's thin pizza vs. Chicago's deep dish.

I prefer the NY thin. Growing up as a kid on Pizza Hut Pan was always preferred. Now I am a Tnin Man.

They did the challenge with firefighters in NY, Chic and LA. In NY all voted for NY. In Chic 2 of 10 voted for NY. In LA 8 of 10 voted for NY.

I understand that in KC where most reponders will be voting the trend will be toward Chic. I never had good thin crust until I was out of KC.

grandllama
07-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Sorry bud, Chicago Thick....

Chiefs Pantalones
07-30-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm a thin crust guy too.

jspchief
07-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Pizza is about the toppings, the crust is just the eating utensil. Thin.

Frazod
07-30-2006, 10:45 PM
The best pizza on earth is made in Chicago. Nothing else comes close.

KcMizzou
07-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Pizza is about the toppings, the crust is just the eating utensil. Thin.I totally agree.

grandllama
07-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Pizza is about the toppings, the crust is just the eating utensil. Thin.

bs... you can throw the topping together... you kneed (sic) a good crust to make it pizza an not just a walmart special

milkman
07-30-2006, 10:48 PM
I hate you ****ers.

I live in Kalifornia.
Kalifornians apparently don't believe in good pizza.

Send me one of each please.

jspchief
07-30-2006, 10:49 PM
bs... you can throw the topping together... you kneed (sic) a good crust to make it pizza an not just a walmart specialI never said the topping was more difficult. It doesn't change the fact that without the toppings, pizza becomes plain ol bread.

Mr. Laz
07-30-2006, 10:50 PM
thick,thick,thick

gotta have that pie!!

Frazod
07-30-2006, 10:53 PM
I hate you ****ers.

I live in Kalifornia.
Kalifornians apparently don't believe in good pizza.

Send me one of each please.
Umm.... Gino's East. Each slice is about an inch and a half thick. Cornbread crust, charred pepperoni on the top....

There's one about 15 minutes from here.

:fire:

grandllama
I never said the topping was more difficult. It doesn't change the fact that without the toppings, pizza becomes plain ol bread.

and even the worst bread is better than throwing meat and cheese on top of each other... (with no bread)

Chiefs Pantalones
I like thin crust supreme.

What toppings do ya'll like?

This thread is making me hungry!

Count Alex's Losses
07-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Cornbread?

Yech.

KcMizzou
I like thin crust supreme.

What toppings do ya'll like?

I like most everything other than pineapple and anchovies.

Italian sausage, pepperoni and mushrooms are about my favorites.

milkman
Umm.... Gino's East. Each slice is about an inch and a half thick. Cornbread crust, charred pepperoni on the top....

:doh!: nlm

grandllama
07-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Cornbread?

Yech.

more proof that Texas IS NOT THE SOUTH

Frazod
07-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Cornbread?

Yech.

That's what I thought until I tasted it.

Nzoner
07-30-2006, 11:05 PM
If having to choose I'll go thick but that's not to say I don't like thin as I've had some great thin crust pizza in my day as well.

Frazod
07-30-2006, 11:05 PM
:doh!: nlm

Sorry, that was evil. :)

KcMizzou
07-30-2006, 11:06 PM
If having to choose I'll go thick but that's not to say I don't like thin as I've had some great thin crust pizza in my day as well.Good point. The odds of me turning down either aren't good.

morphius
07-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Give me thick every time. I never feel full when eating a thin crust, plus I just don't like it crunchy.

Nzoner
07-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Good point. The odds of me turning down either aren't good.

You remember Original Pizza here in the mall?

Lino is from Sicily and he makes both,I like going there because he sells by the slice and I can get each.

Saulbadguy
07-30-2006, 11:17 PM
Ah..another food thread: I love it.

Here is my take:

Chicago: 2 or 3 slices, and i'm finished. Usually miserable as well, but damn it's good.

NYC: I love the way it folds, and how you get good coverage of various toppings.

Really, I love them both. I wouldn't even call NYC style "thin" crust because around here, thin crust is crispy/crunchy. That is not a pizza, that is a cracker with toppings on it.

California style pizza is not pizza either. That is a cracker with weird shit on it, that should never be on a pizza. That includes, but not limited to, CHICKEN, sprouts, goat cheese, artichokes, spinach...well, you get my drift.

Saulbadguy
07-30-2006, 11:18 PM

Of course, Gino's was featured on this special. I watched it as well. Ever tried Lou Maltanali's (sp)?

I did not know Pizzeria Uno was the original Chicago Deep Dish pizza.

Frazod
07-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Of course, Gino's was featured on this special. I watched it as well. Ever tried Lou Maltanali's (sp)?

I did not know Pizzeria Uno was the original Chicago Deep Dish pizza.
Lou Malnotti's is generally regarded as one of the best, but for some reason I've never eaten at any of them. I don't eat pizza all that often - Christ, I'm fat enough as it is. Some other really good pizza places local to Chicago are Giordano's and Eduardo's. And I've had Pizzeria Uno before and wasn't terribly impressed.

Mecca
07-30-2006, 11:23 PM
As long as there are no Olives or Mushrooms on my pizza I'm fine.......oh and that "white" pizza shit who eats that? Pizza isn't pizza without sauce.

SBK
07-30-2006, 11:24 PM
I ate at Lombardi's in NYC at Christmas when I was there. Supposedly it's the first pizza place in the US, it's super old and they use coal ovens to cook the stuff.

After having that thin wins all day. BUT, you won't catch me turn down a nice thick ol slice of Chicago style either.

Saulbadguy
Lou Malnotti's is generally regarded as one of the best, but for some reason I've never eaten at any of them. I don't eat pizza all that often - Christ, I'm fat enough as it is. Some other really good pizza places local to Chicago are Giordanos and Eduardos. I've Pizzeria Uno before and wasn't terribly impressed.
They have Unos all over the country. Not bad, but not great.

greg63
Thin baby! :)

Frazod
07-30-2006, 11:30 PM
I should go on record as saying I don't mind New York style pizza - I just think Chicago is better. I've had New York pizza in New York City. A couple of things about New York pizza - a pepperoni pizza is referred to as a pepperoni "pie"; if you ask for pepperoni pizza they'll look at you funny. Also, in New York if you order sausage on a pizza you'll actually get sliced meatballs, which I vastly prefer over the pizza sausage here.

I personally detest sausage on pizza. Pepperoni and mushrooms for me. This creates problems, because the wife loves sausage and hates pepperoni and mushrooms. Damn wife. :banghead:

the Talking Can
07-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Really, I love them both. I wouldn't even call NYC style "thin" crust because around here, thin crust is crispy/crunchy. That is not a pizza, that is a cracker with toppings on it.

exactly right....pizza hut thin and NY style have nothing in common...I never liked cheese pizza till I lived in NYC....the crust is just chewy enough...I ate 4-5 slices a week...miss it badly

Nzoner
07-30-2006, 11:32 PM
I should go on record as saying I don't mind New York style pizza - I just think Chicago is better. I've had New York pizza in New York City. A couple of things about New York pizza - a pepperoni pizza is referred to as a pepperoni "pie"; if you ask for pepperoni pizza they'll look at you funny. Also, in New York if you order sausage on a pizza you'll actually get sliced meatballs, which I vastly prefer over the pizza sausage here.

I personally detest sausage on pizza. Pepperoni and mushrooms for me. This creates problems, because the wife loves sausage and hates pepperoni and mushrooms. Damn wife. :banghead:

When in NY did you get to sample a grinder.

Saulbadguy
07-30-2006, 11:34 PM
Isn't a grinder just a hot sub? That's what i've always been told.

Saulbadguy
07-30-2006, 11:35 PM
exactly right....pizza hut thin and NY style have nothing in common...I never liked cheese pizza till I lived in NYC....the crust is just chewy enough...I ate 4-5 slices a week...miss it badly
It really sucks here in Topeka - the best pizza place we have is Old Chicago.

Anytime you order a "thin crust pizza" you always get a cracker crust with cheese on it. I can't even eat that crap.

Frazod

Doesn't ring a bell. It's been a long time since I was there, though. Summer of '99, I think.

Mojo Rising
Come on Thin Men out there. If Chicago wins then I have to eat deep dish tomorrow night (bet with wife.)

Lets get a Chicago like election and fix it for the thin!

Nzoner
07-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Isn't a grinder just a hot sub? That's what i've always been told.

When we were there my cousin used the term and I was like wtf?

He ordered a cheeseburger grinder and yes it came on a large hoagie with all the fixings.It'd easily feed 2-3 and after seeing it I realized the name was more than appropriate.

Frazod
07-30-2006, 11:38 PM
Come on Thin Men out there. If Chicago wins then I have to eat deep dish tomorrow night (bet with wife.)

Lets get a Chicago like election and fix it for the thin!

Well, considering that most of the people who are voting probably think Dominos is good pizza, you may be safe.

Saulbadguy
07-30-2006, 11:39 PM
When we were there my cousin used the term and I was like wtf?

He ordered a cheeseburger grinder and yes it came on a large hoagie with all the fixings.It'd easily feed 2-3 and after seeing it I realized the name was more than appropriate.
Grinder is pretty much another name for a sub or hoagie, but most commonly it refers to a hot sub. Meatball grinders are probably the most common, IMO. It is more of a New York/New England thing.

KcMizzou
07-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Well, considering that most of the people who are voting probably think Dominos is good pizza, you may be safe.I don't have access to any of the really good stuff, and even I think Dominos is crap.

My favorite local pizza is Minsky's. But I've never had true NY or Chicago style pizza.

Frazod
07-30-2006, 11:41 PM
I don't have access to any of the really good stuff, and even I think Dominos is crap.

My favorite local pizza is Minsky's. But I've never had true NY or Chicago style pizza.

The only pizza I ever had in Missouri that wasn't shit is from a place in Kirksville called Pagliai's. That's good pizza by any standards, including Chicago.

Saulbadguy
07-30-2006, 11:42 PM
I don't have access to any of the really good stuff, and even I think Dominos is crap.

I think Uno is fairly representive of Chicago style pizza. They invented it - but there are plenty of other places in Chicago that are better. Isn't there at least one Uno in KC?

Nzoner
I don't have access to any of the really good stuff,

You did in St Joe,it's called Original Pizza

KcMizzou
Isn't there at least one Uno in KC?Not that I'm aware of.

KcMizzou
07-30-2006, 11:43 PM
You did in St Joe,it's called Original PizzaYeah.. sadly I never knew about the place while I was still up there. I'll have to try it if/when I ever get up that way again.

Saulbadguy
07-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Not that I'm aware of.
3 locations in KC. Check one out.

9050 N.E. Barry Road
Kansas City, MO 64157

4710 Jefferson Street
Kansas City, MO 64112

8420 W. 135th Street
Overland Park, KS 66223

KcMizzou
07-30-2006, 11:46 PM
3 locations in KC. Check one out.

9050 N.E. Barry Road
Kansas City, MO 64157
I'll be damned. That's maybe.. 10 miles or so from my house. I'd never heard of the place. I'll definately try it out. Thanks!

Spicy McHaggis
07-31-2006, 12:09 AM
I just had Due's last night in Chicago. That's real pizza.

grandllama
07-31-2006, 12:13 AM
Well, considering that most of the people who are voting probably think Dominos is good pizza, you may be safe.

Domino's bites ass...

if we are bitching about 'local' pizza... I'll give it to Minsky's, like Brandon.. they put up one hell of a fight....

noa
07-31-2006, 12:49 AM
Anyone who likes Chicago pizza ever had Giordano's? It's my favorite in Chicago, but the others aren't far behind. Chicago deep dish is the best. I can only eat a couple slices before having to be carted out in a wheelbarrow, but its enjoyable nonetheless.

Spicy McHaggis
07-31-2006, 12:54 AM
Anyone who likes Chicago pizza ever had Giordano's? It's my favorite in Chicago, but the others aren't far behind. Chicago deep dish is the best. I can only eat a couple slices before having to be carted out in a wheelbarrow, but its enjoyable nonetheless.

I like Giordano's. Gino's is pretty good as well. 312 and deep dish is heaven on earth. But the wheelbarrow comment is spot on.

Reaper16
07-31-2006, 02:12 AM
NY thin wins this thread. Great stuff.

el borracho
07-31-2006, 02:51 AM
I dislike deep dish quite a bit. If someone told me they ordered pizza and it turned out to be deep dish crust I would be very dissappointed.

Nightwish
07-31-2006, 03:18 AM
Depends on my mood. Both styles have their moments.

ChiefsfaninPA
07-31-2006, 05:46 AM
I will be heading to Chi-town this week so I will try out their pizza and then make a more informed vote.

Baby Lee
07-31-2006, 06:39 AM
The only pizza I ever had in Missouri that wasn't shit is from a place in Kirksville called Pagliai's. That's good pizza by any standards, including Chicago.
Do yourself a favor, next time you're in the St. Louis area try Chicago style deep dish at Talayna's, and New York style at Racanelli's.

Infidel Goat
07-31-2006, 07:55 AM
Do yourself a favor, next time you're in the St. Louis area try Chicago style deep dish at Talayna's, and New York style at Racanelli's.

Those are both good.

I also liked Vito's and, for that matter, the pizza they serve at the Black Thorn Pub.

I despised the traditional St. Louis style pizza and wouldn't wish places like Cecil Whitaker's or Imo's on anyone.

I've been surprisingly pleased with the pizza in North Carolina. Most of it is New York style and made by relocated New Yorkers.

--Infidel Goat

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2006, 08:04 AM
Give me NY style pizza anytime.

I've been in Clearwater for the past 2 summers and I've yet to find a great little family-style pizza place. I've tried many, but none meet the standards.

They have awesome wings, spectacular fresh seafood, I found an amazing authentic mexican restaurant, average chinese food, and a great thai place.

If I choose to live here in another year I'm going to have to find a good pizza place.

HC_Chief
07-31-2006, 09:26 AM
I dislike deep dish quite a bit. If someone told me they ordered pizza and it turned out to be deep dish crust I would be very dissappointed.

Deep dish does NOT equal "thick crust". Deep dish pizza is a pizza pie. It has a standard crust, sauce, and a THICK layer of toppings (including whole meatballs and sausage coins among other goodness), a thin top layer of crust, additional sauce, cheese, and thin layer of toppings.

Chicago style pizza (Giordano's, LaRoma's, etc.) is outstanding.

NY style = huge wedge of thin-crust pizza. It's good, but common, as far as pizza is concerned.

StcChief
07-31-2006, 11:41 AM
After dealing with the paper thin IMOs and the like in STL.
My local medium crust is very good.

Give me a good deep-dish Chicago style. Not Pizza UNO.

mlyonsd
07-31-2006, 11:52 AM
Chicago pizza, just like Chicago hot dogs, are way over rated IMHO.