PDA

View Full Version : Tipping Etiquette

ChiefsfaninPA
07-31-2006, 06:30 AM
I am heading to Chicago this weekend and need some assistance on the proper tipping protocol. I don't travel much and when I do I don't stay at hotels. I will be staying at the Hyatt (on Wacker St). What I really want to know is how much or do you tip workers who do things like park and retreive you car and carry your bags. Also if I travel by cab do you tip the driver or is that part of paying the fare.

jspchief
07-31-2006, 06:32 AM
Tip the Porter and Valet a couple bucks.

Don't tip the cabbies.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-31-2006, 06:33 AM
Never tip cab drivers. They usually split the fare with the company they work for. As far as the valets and porters go, tip them up to $5.

ChiefsfaninPA
07-31-2006, 06:43 AM
I guess I better bring a lot of loose singles. I didn't think you tipped the cabbie, but I wasn't sure.

Dartgod
07-31-2006, 06:43 AM
Never tip cab drivers. They usually split the fare with the company they work for. As far as the valets and porters go, tip them up to $5.
Here's a tip. Don't listen to this guy.

Cab drivers should be tipped 10-15%. More if they help you with your luggage.

Valets, I usually tip $1 or $2. Tip when you pick the car up, unless you plan on leaving soon. A couple of bucks when you drop off will usually get your car back to you quicker.

Bellmen should be tipped $1-$2 per bag if they bring your luggage to your room.

There are lots of other situations listed here: http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php

the Talking Can
07-31-2006, 06:50 AM
the cab issue is curious...I always tipped for longer trips in NYC (unless they got lost or something)...but I never really knew if it was standard to do so...

plbrdude
07-31-2006, 06:55 AM
i've always tipped cab drivers.seems the proper thing to do.

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2006, 07:14 AM
Even though they smell, cab drivers are people too. Well, some of them are.

Brock
07-31-2006, 07:18 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if you are billed 25 dollars by the hotel for valet parking EVERY TIME they park your car. So factor that into your tipping plan.

HMc
07-31-2006, 07:18 AM
Tipping etiquette here is totally different across the board but i usually tib cabs by rounding up to the next note. oh - our smallest notes are $5. then again i usually only catch cabs when pissed so im presumably a little looser with the cash then than i would be sober.

Chiefnj
07-31-2006, 07:19 AM
I've always tipped cab drivers. I'm pretty sure the cab drivers in big cities on the east coast don't split the fare with the company.

the Talking Can
07-31-2006, 07:19 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if you are billed 25 dollars by the hotel for valet parking EVERY TIME they park your car. So factor that into your tipping plan.

daaamn...

Brock
07-31-2006, 07:30 AM
daaamn...

Actually, I went back and looked at that bill, and it was 25 dollars per day. But still.

Dartgod
07-31-2006, 07:32 AM
Yeah, good point. The hotel we stayed at in Chicago charged $39 per night for valet.

ChiefsfaninPA
07-31-2006, 08:06 AM
Yeah, good point. The hotel we stayed at in Chicago charged $39 per night for valet.

Yes I already looked into that. The going rate when I am there is $41 for a 24 hour period. The thing that sucks is that I will probably not use the car often. I plan on doing as much with my feet or public transportation. I am not paying the parking bill so it doesn't bother me as much but man is that a lot of dough to let my car sit in a spot for a week.

cdcox
07-31-2006, 08:06 AM
If you stay more than one night, the maid will appreciate a $2-3 tip per day for cleaning the room. Leave a note so it is obvious that the money is meant for her.

And do tip cabbies.

ChiefsfaninPA
07-31-2006, 08:08 AM
If you stay more than one night, the maid will appreciate a $2-3 tip per day for cleaning the room. Leave a note so it is obvious that the money is meant for her.

And do tip cabbies.

Do I have to have maid service daily? I don't plan on spending too much time in the room so it shouldn't be messy.

PastorMikH
07-31-2006, 08:22 AM
For some reason when I read the header, I thought he was going to be asking about cow tipping etiquette.

ChiefsfaninPA
07-31-2006, 08:23 AM
For some reason when I read the header, I thought he was going to be asking about cow tipping etiquette.

ROFLROFL If you have a suggestion please feel free to share.

CosmicPal
07-31-2006, 11:12 AM
Yea, I can see how a guy who needs to take a horse and buggy from his little Amish village would need some tipping etiquette.

PastorMikH
07-31-2006, 11:15 AM
ROFLROFL If you have a suggestion please feel free to share.

For one, I'd say lean on the cow a little higher up. It is really rude when you hit the cow in the stomach right after she fills up with grass/hay for the night.

vailpass
07-31-2006, 11:29 AM
If you are going to be there for more than a day or two you will notice a very large difference in the treatment you receive from the valet and bell staff who have come to know you as a tipper.

Have you ever stood and waited for your car for 10 minutes and seen a guy walk right up and have his car already there?
That's the guy who the valet knows will be sliding them a twenty as they hand him his keys.

Depending on how you like to roll the Head Bellman is intrumental in hooking you up with certain information and services not to be found in the directory. If you take care of him he will take care of you.

2-3 dollars left on the bed on the footboard end ensures the maids will go the extra distance in cleaning and disinfecting your room/bathroom, changing sheets instead of straightening your old ones, and ignoring any and all items in your room that may otherwise need to be reported to the front desk (i.e. cig butts in a non-smoking room or other items left over from last night's party).

If a cabby gives you exceptional service by getting you there quickly it is traditional to tip him a few for his efforts. OTOH cabbies are the one tribe you can stiff on the tip and never have to worry about them again.
Limo drivers are to be tipped according to how many are in your party, how long you have the car, and how good a job they do in taking you to the spots you request i.e. best out-of-the-way steak house, highest-class strip club, etc.

cdcox
07-31-2006, 11:32 AM
Do I have to have maid service daily? I don't plan on spending too much time in the room so it shouldn't be messy.

Unless you stay in your room all day and tell them to go away, they will come in.

They'll make the bed, wipe down the bathroom, bring fresh towels, empty your trash, maybe vaccuum, etc.

Not everyone follows this tipping practice, so its not like they are going to put spiders in your bed if you don't tip.

chiefqueen
07-31-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm going to Chicago this weekend too, staying @ the Allerton and then the Renaissance.

ChiefsfaninPA
07-31-2006, 01:09 PM
Yea, I can see how a guy who needs to take a horse and buggy from his little Amish village would need some tipping etiquette.

I wish you would stop your little man crush on me. It is starting to get a little weird. Does your husband condone this? Anyway if you knew anything about geography (which along with posting football articles you seem to be terrible at) you would know that there are no Amish sects in my area. But then again, I don't expect there to be any intelligence anywhere inside of the huge cranium of yours. That is all.

CosmicPal
07-31-2006, 01:21 PM
I wish you would stop your little man crush on me. It is starting to get a little weird. Does your husband condone this? Anyway if you knew anything about geography (which along with posting football articles you seem to be terrible at) you would know that there are no Amish sects in my area. But then again, I don't expect there to be any intelligence anywhere inside of the huge cranium of yours. That is all.

Are you fuggen shitten' me?

For starters, asswipe- you're the one who left me a private message calling me a retarded Broncos fan! When I set the record straight with you, you then replied that I was still a *****ing retarded dumbshit.

You started this crumbcake. If you wanna take the bull by the horns, well then you should expect the fact that you're going to be taken for a ride.

Now, if you want to stop this *****ing charade and shake hands- I'm good for that. But, you continue to call me names and leave me *****ed up private messages calling me a retarded Broncos fan then my advice to you is to pull your little jockstrap on tighter- 'cause it's war.

ChiefsfaninPA
07-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Are you fuggen shitten' me?

For starters, asswipe- you're the one who left me a private message calling me a retarded Broncos fan! When I set the record straight with you, you then replied that I was still a *****ing retarded dumbshit.

You started this crumbcake. If you wanna take the bull by the horns, well then you should expect the fact that you're going to be taken for a ride.

Now, if you want to stop this *****ing charade and shake hands- I'm good for that. But, you continue to call me names and leave me *****ed up private messages calling me a retarded Broncos fan then my advice to you is to pull your little jockstrap on tighter- 'cause it's war.

Ohs no I am afraid. Sensitive has started a war with me. I only left you a PM because your feelings were hurt enough that you had to PM me. My PM was a response to yours, get your facts straight you retard. You are no bull, maybe a little My Little Pony. Bring it on clown.