PDA

View Full Version : The annual "Holthus on Des Moines radio" thread...

Pages : [1] 2 3

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 08:32 AM
PLEASE NOTE: all updates prior to 8/14 have been moved to post #320 in this thread.

8/25 update from jspchief:

The only notable thing that Holthus said was that Green Will play all of the 1st qtr and maybe a bit of the 2nd. Then Croyle will come in and play with the #1s until halftime and continue to play in the second half with the #2s.

He said Croyle is getting a chance to earn the #2 spot tonight. If Croyle doen't show enough, the Chiefs may look elsewhere for a backup QB, or they may make due with what they have and pray for Green's health.

This reiterates what I thought he was saying last week. Huard is not doing anything to earn that #2 spot.

I'm begining to think that if Croyle can have a good showing, Huard might actually be gone. Maybe the way they plan to keep Printers and Croyle both is by cutting Huard.

---------------------------------

8/24 update:

Cotlar is on vacation, the guys subbing for him basically wanted to start from square 1 with Mitch, so not much really new today.

Talked alot about Edwards and what he's gonna mean to the team. One of the hosts brought up the fact that no 1st-year Chiefs head coach has ever led the Chiefs to the playoffs, not even Marty. Mitch thinks Herm has learned alot from his time in New York, says he's 180-degrees different from when Mitch knew him as a Chiefs scout in the 90's.

James Reed has locked up one of the DT starting spots. Edwards is the other starter right now, but there's competition.

And there WILL be veterans on the cut list. Some guys are gonna get cut that might surprise the fans...

------------------------------------
8/23 update:

Key Fox and Bell are neck and neck for the starting spot. Mitch said Vermeil and/or Marty would have automatically given Bell the spot, but Fox just won't let it go away. Thinks Fox has a good chance to start.

Shields will not play against the Rams, however the Chiefs have finally wised up (my words) and moved Black permanently to OG. The starting lineup for Rams game should be from left to right Turley, Waters, Wiegmann, Black, Sampson.

8/22 update:

Not much new (if you've been READING the updates :D). Waters should play. Hali, Bennett, and Croyle all practiced and will play. Croyle has a ROCKET arm, much more velocity than Trent. Just has to stay healthy.

Shields and Waters will both play vs. Cincinatti, but they may be the 1st time we get to see all of the starting linemen together at the same time in a game situation.

Benny Sapp is the team's best pass rusher right now, the line REALLY needs to step up. James Reed is a starter at tackle (sounds like the other job is still up for grabs). They can't wait to get Hali on the field.

Some more stuff I remembered:
Mitch said not to COMPLETELY panic about the defense. Yes, they have struggled. But they haven't given up any big plays, which has been the hallmark of this defense during the Vermeil years.

8/21 update:

Mitch and Cotlar had a little chuckle at the expense of Chiefs fans. I swear, Mitch must read this forum. He said that fans are in a panic, he's hearing predictions of 4-12 and he even heard one fan lamenting Herm because Cowher would be available.

Shields has a high-ankle sprain, the team says he'll be back but it bears watching.

Said the only good thing he got from Thursday's game was that he got PJ's pizza on the way home. He said there wasn't ONE bright spot from the game.

8/17 update:

Not much new again today. Joked about the hotel, he says he has a breathtaking view of the Newark airport control tower and parking lot. Talked about trying New York pizza and Pappa John's is much better.

Anyway, nothing new on the injury front. Didn't talk about Huard or Sapp at all, which were the only guys that were up in the air really.

Said Herm is going to play the starting defense well into the 2nd quarter, he wasn't happy with the Texans game. The offense will likely get about double the snaps they did last time (except for LJ who will get 7-10 snaps just like last time), will probably throw the ball down the field more, because they watched the Giants and how they gameplanned for the Ravens.

8/16 update:

Not much new today. Huard should play tomorrow night. Croyle, Waters, Bennett and Hali should be back for the Rams.

Herm is concerned about the Giants because they blitzed the Ravens alot, so we'll probably see the starters for 4 series instead of just 2.

8/15 update:

Herm has a much different approach, decided to cancel practice to get guys rested and avoid further injuries. Vermeil wouldn't have done that. Team is getting healthier. Sapp should play against Giants. Waters and Bennett should be back next week.

People need to let Willie Roaf GO. If he's dodging teammates because he's afraid they'll talk him out of it, he doesn't want to play football. It's best to just wish him a fond farewell and get ready for the season without him.

Huard is back. Herm wants to see how sore he is today and he might play Thursday night. Croyle won't be back this week, but should hopefully be back for the Rams. Walls, Hall, and Siavii all practiced yesterday. Bennett didn't do full work but did participate. Mitch thinks we'll see the full team at Arrowhead vs. the Rams.

Herm REALLY wants to win a preseason game. They purposefully went into the Houston game without a gameplan and Houston obviously had one. Herm is concerned about the Giants because of the way they play defense.

Talked about Leinart and how it compares to Sims - take the money and run. Never live up to the hype.

8/14 update:

Herm and the team is EXTREMELY happy with Kyle Turley. He not only handled 1-on-1 assignments, but he successfully picked up the blitz twice.

Herm is satsified with Reed and Edwards but extremely disappointed with Sims and Dalton. They're waiting to get Jimmy Wilkerson back, which says to me that he's in the mix behind the starters. Could Sims and Dalton be headed for THIRD STRING?

They really really want to get Hali back, they weren't happy with the bootleg issues.

Today they're going to work out extra hard - Herm really wanted to win that game.

the Talking Can
07-31-2006, 08:35 AM
I appreciate these updates, keep em coming...we got nothing but Rhonda Moss and KK...ewwww...

Bootlegged
07-31-2006, 08:36 AM
as a side note, Croyle won the "throw it as far as you can" contest last year vs. Vince Young, Whitehurst and some others. I want to say 72 yards? In any case, the boy can chuck it.

Saulbadguy
07-31-2006, 08:36 AM
Cool, thanks Parker.

morphius
07-31-2006, 08:40 AM
This morning on my way into work I got to hear all about that the 610 crew was having trouble with finding the White Castle that Rhonda Moss had spotted earlier in the week.

Riveting info from TC I tell ya...

John_Wayne
07-31-2006, 08:41 AM
13% is an interesting number.

KCTitus
07-31-2006, 08:44 AM
That's really a shame about Priest...to go out like that so suddenly.

Saulbadguy
07-31-2006, 08:45 AM
13% is an interesting number.
Mitch has always used random numbers like that.

King_Chief_Fan
07-31-2006, 08:53 AM
as a side note, Croyle won the "throw it as far as you can" contest last year vs. Vince Young, Whitehurst and some others. I want to say 72 yards? In any case, the boy can chuck it.

It is the kind of QB we all like .....I think. I am not certain in the new offense we will see too much opportunity to chuck it down the field though

penguinz
07-31-2006, 08:56 AM
It is the kind of QB we all like .....I think. I am not certain in the new offense we will see too much opportunity to chuck it down the field though
We can brign back the Deberg, Playaction, deep bomb!

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 09:05 AM

The "new offense".

ROFL

the Talking Can
07-31-2006, 09:06 AM
This morning on my way into work I got to hear all about that the 610 crew was having trouble with finding the White Castle that Rhonda Moss had spotted earlier in the week.

Riveting info from TC I tell ya...

I'm not even listening...I'm sure it's that bad...

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 09:11 AM
I added some more to the original post.

the Talking Can
07-31-2006, 09:14 AM
never heard of Heier....

jiveturkey
I added some more to the original post.Who is Peter Heier?

jiveturkey
never heard of Heier....Your nut sack types faster than I do.

morphius
07-31-2006, 09:15 AM
I'm not even listening...I'm sure it's that bad...
The driver felt that if Rhonda could see it he shouldn't have any problem. Sadly I think he underestimated Rhonda's ability to find fattening food...

the Talking Can
07-31-2006, 09:15 AM
Your nut sack types faster than I do.

practice....

JimNasium
07-31-2006, 09:20 AM
In the interview with Trent posted yesterday he was talking about the changes in the team and talked about Priest in past tense. Personally I'm 100% sure he's done.

jspchief
07-31-2006, 09:23 AM
I think it's spelled "Heyer" and wasn't he an NFLE guy on our PS last year?

Lzen
07-31-2006, 09:27 AM
Nice to have to TC info. Thanks, Parker.

sedated
07-31-2006, 09:28 AM
Heyer/Heier at LG?

I thought we had some depth at Guard? what about Bober?

where's Lilja when we need him.

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 09:30 AM
In the interview with Trent posted yesterday he was talking about the changes in the team and talked about Priest in past tense. Personally I'm 100% sure he's done.

I've been 100% sure he's done since about February, but I've been accused of rooting against Priest, so I've been somewhat quiet about it.

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 09:31 AM
It might be Heyer, I don't really remember him. Mitch just said he's from Germany, so Heier would be the more common spelling.

JimNasium
07-31-2006, 09:33 AM
I've been 100% sure he's done since about February, but I've been accused of rooting against Priest, so I've been somewhat quiet about it.
Yeah, you sure don't want to be a realist on ChiefsPlanet.

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 09:34 AM
I'm pretty sure Heier was a German national NFLE Olineman that was brought in last year. I'm guessing they're just giving him reps.

I wonder how our new Guard from Ole Miss is looking, or if he's getting reps yet?

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 09:42 AM
Yeah, you sure don't want to be a realist on ChiefsPlanet.

I actually have an inside "source" but this place very much insists on validation (and that's not a bad thing). I won't divulge my source, so I have to just keep quiet.

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 09:48 AM
Frank Boal is on 810 right now from River Falls.

He says Kendrell Bell looks much, much faster this year...much better.

Walls is limping but he thinks he'll be alright.

His concern right now is still interior DLine.

JimNasium
07-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Frank Boal is on 810 right now from River Falls.

He says Kendrell Bell looks much, much faster this year...much better.

Walls is limping but he thinks he'll be alright.

His concern right now is still interior DLine.
Did he mention any of the DT's specifically?

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Apparently Herm doesn't let coaches Curse....doesn't want them in town drinking beer, and told the players he didn't like them out and seen drinking.

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 09:50 AM
He didn't mention any of the DTs.

He said he thought the secondary looked like it was going to be fine though.

He said something about Waters having a "mid foot sprain" which is difficult for big guys to heal and work through because of the weight. He said something about him not doing anythign until the 2-3rd preseason game.

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2006, 09:51 AM
Apparently Herm doesn't let coaches Curse....doesn't want them in town drinking beer, and told the players he didn't like them out and seen drinking.

That's going to be rough on our kicker.

JimNasium
07-31-2006, 09:51 AM
Uh oh. Tynes won't like this rule.

JimNasium
07-31-2006, 09:52 AM
That's going to be rough on our kicker.
Dammit Carl! :cuss:

HemiEd
07-31-2006, 09:54 AM

It was your educated opinion, even though it was unpopular. Why would that slow you down?

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 10:03 AM
It was your educated opinion, even though it was unpopular. Why would that slow you down?

Because this place is absolutely adamant about an opinion not being educated unless you can back it up with written documentation. And like I said, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2006, 10:05 AM
Because this place is absolutely adamant about an opinion not being educated unless you can back it up with written documentation.

I'm going to need written proof of that allegation.

sedated
07-31-2006, 10:09 AM
He said something about Waters having a "mid foot sprain" which is difficult for big guys to heal and work through because of the weight. He said something about him not doing anythign until the 2-3rd preseason game.

that hurts.

our O-Line has really taken a beating.

having 2 new Tackles and a Guard that misses most of the preseason, will certainly affect us during the season.

(not to mention letting our pro-bowl Fullback walk)

BigRedChief
07-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Because this place is absolutely adamant about an opinion not being educated unless you can back it up with written documentation. And like I said, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

No chit, I had the information that leaked out later that Priest had been to several Doctors in different states and they all told him to retire and he was risking paralysis if he continued to play. I got ripped for that.

I understand no0bs information being questioned but if a long timer poster says he heard this you either accept the info with a grain of salt, take it as gospel or ignore the info. Pre ordained as gospel written documentation should not be the norm here.

penguinz
07-31-2006, 10:14 AM
I think it was pretty obvious that his career was over when watching the replay of the hit that knocked him out of the game.

Rausch
07-31-2006, 10:16 AM
It might be Heyer, I don't really remember him. Mitch just said he's from Germany, so Heier would be the more common spelling.

Snoogens...

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 10:18 AM
Adding another tidbit that I just remembered...

jspchief
07-31-2006, 10:18 AM
No chit, I had the information that leaked out later that Priest had been to several Doctors in different states and they all told him to retire and he was risking paralysis if he continued to play. I got ripped for that.

I understand no0bs information being questioned but if a long timer poster says he heard this you either accept the info with a grain of salt, take it as gospel or ignore the info. Pre ordained as gospel written documentation should not be the norm here.My debate was never as much about the likelihood of his retirement as much as it was about the claims that it was going to get ugly because Holmes was all about the money.

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 10:23 AM
My debate was never as much about the likelihood of his retirement as much as it was about the claims that it was going to get ugly because Holmes was all about the money.

That was because he was going from doctor to doctor to doctor, trying to get a specific diagnosis...

beavis
07-31-2006, 10:24 AM
I actually have an inside "source" but this place very much insists on validation (and that's not a bad thing). I won't divulge my source, so I have to just keep quiet.
You can't count your WPI subscription as a "source". :p

Rausch
07-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Some more stuff I remembered:
Sounds like the Chiefs are VERY close to bringing in a backup RB that Mitch said is "much better" than Brown or Griffin. He mentioned injury rehab, which leads me to believe it is Michael Bennett. He said he wasn't going to mention names because the deal is not done yet, but it's VERY close...

Oh PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASE be Deuce McAlister!

:grovel:

KCTitus
07-31-2006, 10:27 AM
You can't count your <a href="http://chiefsplanet.com">WPI</a> subscription as a "source". :p

I didnt know that Parker was a Premium Member.

jspchief
07-31-2006, 10:32 AM
That was because he was going from doctor to doctor to doctor, trying to get a specific diagnosis...Which is where the questioning of the source comes about. It's a claim to know which diagnosis he was searching for.

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 10:32 AM
there was talk of Michael Bennett earlier.....now that Reggie Bush has signed, I'd imagine that the Saints would be more motivated to move him. That team has alot of holes to fill.

I can't imagine it would be McAllister...but that would be a very, very nice non-dammit carl moment.

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 10:35 AM
that hurts.

our O-Line has really taken a beating.

having 2 new Tackles and a Guard that misses most of the preseason, will certainly affect us during the season.

(not to mention letting our pro-bowl Fullback walk)

The positive side is, this is early, very early in camp. It gives the team alot more time to give alot more reps to younger players to get them ready. We know when Waters is healthy, he can line up and maul.

I feel alot better about this NOW than say, week 1 of the regular season, when Waters and Co had been taking all the first team snaps.

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 10:37 AM
I didnt know that Parker was a Premium Member.

I'm not. :D

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 10:38 AM
The positive side is, this is early, very early in camp. It gives the team alot more time to give alot more reps to younger players to get them ready. We know when Waters is healthy, he can line up and maul.

I feel alot better about this NOW than say, week 1 of the regular season, when Waters and Co had been taking all the first team snaps.

Absolutely.

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 10:40 AM
Which is where the questioning of the source comes about. It's a claim to know which diagnosis he was searching for.

Priest went to one doctor and he said "You're hurt, retire". So Priest went to a 2nd doctor, who said "You're hurt, retire". And it didn't stop there. He went to two more doctors, both of which said the same thing.

What logical conclusion would you draw from that behavior?

jspchief
07-31-2006, 10:45 AM
Priest went to one doctor and he said "You're hurt, retire". So Priest went to a 2nd doctor, who said "You're hurt, retire". And it didn't stop there. He went to two more doctors, both of which said the same thing.

What logical conclusion would you draw from that behavior?That he was looking for a doctor to say" You can still play"?

How does that translate to him just trying to get a paycheck? Unless you're claiming he was going to half-ass it this year after being cleared.

sedated
07-31-2006, 10:58 AM
Getting Deuce would be amazing, but at this point I'd almost be happier with a big-name OT (if there's one out there, which there isn't)

Even the best running backs need an O-Line

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Not only that, but I'm sure a guy like Deuce will want more than 5-7 carries per game.

jspchief
07-31-2006, 11:03 AM
It won't be Duece, it will be Bennett.

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 11:38 AM
That he was looking for a doctor to say" You can still play"?

How does that translate to him just trying to get a paycheck? Unless you're claiming he was going to half-ass it this year after being cleared.

He's not trying to get a paycheck. He already got it. He doesn't want to have to pay it back, ala Barry Sanders.

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 11:44 AM
Petro interviewing Carl right now

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Roaf will not return calls to anyone. Shields is upset with Roaf. At the end of 2005, Roaf was the first one in Carl's office and said "Carl, I'm coming back, promise me you'll do whatever you can to get Will Shields here for 1 more year". Shields' says that Roaf called him multiple times through the spring.

Carl commented on Roaf's statement regarding retirement on KKs question....to point out that Roaf said "a player can un-retire". The Chiefs wouldn't have to do anything officially on Roaf's retirement until Week 10?

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Carl would like Willi Roaf to meet with Herm about practices, and how he will play him. Says Herm is much, much different than "his predecessor"...understands how to keep veterans at their premium for game day.

Carl thinks this would be one of Roaf's "most enjoyable seasons".

***sentiment.....Alot of guys in locker room upset about it, the things that transpired that had to do with Roaf requests.

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Carl understands Roaf's body is beaten and tired....but encourages him not to make a rash decision...at this time last year, Shields was contemplating retirement....came back for a last hurrah.

Carl is very high on Svitek after NFLE...visions of what he saw of Waters.

Says Sampson is having a very good camp, and looks very strong.

Making preparations for Roaf being gone....but there are kids on the team that can play.

Waters has a midfoot sprain...but he'll be fine. It may be a week may be 10 days.

Carl feels very, very good about an Oline that goes
Turley, Waters, Weigemen, Shields, Sampson.

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 12:02 PM
[damn server.]

Carl made a joke about not disclosing Roaf's retirement to fill season tickets.....I think he reads Chiefsplanet.

He said he thought Roaf was playing, until about a week before Training camp, his agent mentioned the possibility. Roaf's agent still thinks its possible.

Carl addressed some things concerning fan impressions, often discussed here.

He said he has 1 goal, and that is to win.....basically, the best way to fill the stadium, was to put a competative team on the field.

he addressed rumors that Law was upset and only came here because of Roaf. carl said that Law came here for green, american cash dollars....and if he really felt that way, that he would release him from his contract.....but was confident that wasn't the reason he came.

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 12:05 PM
Carl is riding a bike around camp...herm is buzzing around in some fancy scooter or something.

17th new bike for camp. It must be some high seat back, low rider.

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 12:06 PM
Carl says he loves River Falls...been there 16 years, doesn't know how much longer it'll be tc home.

the renevation may have something to do with that. Carl involved with design of renovated, indoor practice facility.....be there year round, except games......new administration building too.

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 12:08 PM
Carl says "As long as I'm the GM, we will never...NEVER charge fans to come to training camp. Its Ridiculous that they do that. I'll never do that as long as I'm the guy. This is the time of year that all fans, Chiefs fans have a chance to bring their kids to see the players. Its part of the NFL"

discussion of Reskins...as ridiculous example.

morphius
07-31-2006, 12:10 PM
Carl says "As long as I'm the GM, we will never...NEVER charge fans to come to training camp. Its Ridiculous that they do that. I'll never do that as long as I'm the guy. This is the time of year that all fans, Chiefs fans have a chance to bring their kids to see the players. Its part of the NFL"

Of course he doesn't mention that if you charge for it then other teams scouts are free to come in and spy.

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 12:10 PM
questions about rest of league, training at home.

Alot more training at home...at home practice facility. carl is a traditionalist. carl also stays in the dorms.

Some teams let vets go home, make rookies stay somewhere.

camp is 23 days in River falls. carl wants all team, coaches, players, personell together for at least 3 weeks, focusing on 1 thing, playing football. Can't forget about the game they play. Focusing on sales et al is distracting from that sometimes......its important to build team chemistry.

When herm was playing.....TC was 8 weeks.

Now, players work out and stay in shape....so they've been able to cut that back.

BigRedChief
07-31-2006, 12:11 PM

Yeah thats to their advantage also. The NFL forbids teams to observe other teams practices except for paid public events. So if you charge an admission fee the other teams can watch you practice legally.

tk13
07-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Yeah, that's a rule Herm has always had. I wonder how Gunther is handling that.

Bob Dole
07-31-2006, 12:13 PM
[damn server.]

Carl made a joke about not disclosing Roaf's retirement to fill season tickets.....I think he reads Chiefsplanet.

He said he thought Roaf was playing, until about a week before Training camp, his agent mentioned the possibility. Roaf's agent still thinks its possible.

Carl should have called Bob Dole and asked about Willie's attitude when Willie was in Shreveport last month.

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Carl feels honored that Lamar asked him for his last extention. He's under a microscope every day for what he does and says....says its a grinding job. He's done at the end of his contract.

Says Clark Hunt has some new ideas and thoughts.

Mentioned that the Chiefs in his tenure were only team to be 13-3, 3 times in 15 years and have some homefield, and not be able to take advantage of it.

"will your career be complete without a superbowl"?

"No...I've been there with the Eagles, but we didn't win...no matter how great your years were, beating rivals etc...its still unfullfilled. Its unfullfilled unless you win it"

"I want to hand the trophy to Lamar Hunt with his name on it" "Not only that, I want to hand him the Lombardi....talked about the wonderful dedication of the KC Fans"

htismaqe
[damn server.]

He said he has 1 goal, and that is to win.....basically, the best way to fill the stadium, was to put a competative team on the field.

he addressed rumors that Law was upset and only came here because of Roaf. carl said that Law came here for green, american cash dollars....and if he really felt that way, that he would release him from his contract.....but was confident that wasn't the reason he came.

ROFL

Who the **** came up with that ridiculously stupid rumor? I haven't even heard that one floated on 810.

jspchief
Of course he doesn't mention that if you charge for it then other teams scouts are free to come in and spy.So in your opinion, is that why Carl keeps them free?

I don't believe that to be the case. If for no other reason than a scout could spy on the team anyway.

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 12:17 PM
Carl should have called Bob Dole and asked about Willie's attitude when Willie was in Shreveport last month.

What was willie's attitude in Shreveport with bob dole last month?

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 12:18 PM
Petro asked him jokingly, if he had spoken with Ethan Locke, John Tait's agent lately.

carl said "who?"

Iowanian
07-31-2006, 12:20 PM
"I'll say the same thing about Willi Roaf that I said about Priest Holmes a couple of years ago after his injury.....don't count him out yet"

that is all.

morphius
So in your opinion, is that why Carl keeps them free?

I don't believe that to be the case. If for no other reason than a scout could spy on the team anyway.
I don't know if it is or not, and generally don't care as long as they stay "free" :D

Count Alex's Wins
Carl sure knows how to say the right thing.

jspchief
07-31-2006, 12:23 PM
I don't know if it is or not, and generally don't care as long as they stay "free" :DI just found it interesting that that was mentioned right away by two different posters. I was curious if that's what you guys were getting at.

In general, I find a lot of the comments about Peterson and his motives ridiculous. This was just a new angle, and I was wondering if people really felt that way.

Chief Henry
07-31-2006, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=Iowanian][damn server.]

[QUOTE]

I was able to listen to the last 15 minutes of this interview via the web.

When he said that there #1 goal was to win, I just chuckled to myself wondering why the hell the team could not spell defense the last 5
seasons :harumph:

Stinger
07-31-2006, 12:26 PM
Carl sure knows how to say the right thing.

Of course he does ticket go on sell this week.

ROFL

Chief Henry
07-31-2006, 12:27 PM
I sure hope Herm Edwards coaching staff
can make better IN GAME decisions than
the DV coaching staff.

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 12:31 PM
I sure hope Herm Edwards coaching staff
can make better IN GAME decisions than
the DV coaching staff.

We've been told by Jets fans that Herm not only makes bad decision in-game, but he hired assistant Dick Curl to make bad decisions for him.

KCTitus
07-31-2006, 12:32 PM
...When he said that there #1 goal was to win, I just chuckled to myself wondering why the hell the team could not spell defense the last 5 seasons :harumph:

Yeah, especially since it was so evident how bad the defense sucked, but Carl and DV refused to try anything to fix the defense like a new DC or FA's or draft picks, they just ignored that side of the ball while improving an already stellar offense...sheesh. Idiots.

morphius
07-31-2006, 12:33 PM
I just found it interesting that that was mentioned right away by two different posters. I was curious if that's what you guys were getting at.

In general, I find a lot of the comments about Peterson and his motives ridiculous. This was just a new angle, and I was wondering if people really felt that way.
I'm with you on Peterson comments here, but hey, it is a damn good reason to keep your camps free to the public.

Not that I don't doubt that the rat is at least trying to watch us...

Count Alex's Wins
07-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Real quote from a Jets fan:

"Herm's gameday decisions are responsible for two losses a year."

morphius
07-31-2006, 12:34 PM

I think we were saying the same about Vermeil for a couple years as well.

dirk digler
07-31-2006, 12:35 PM
Yeah, especially since it was so evident how bad the defense sucked, but Carl and DV refused to try anything to fix the defense like a new DC or FA's or draft picks, they just ignored that side of the ball while improving an already stellar offense...sheesh. Idiots.

I think CP (Titus) ;) tried but IMHO I don't think DV gave a damn about the D.

KCTitus
07-31-2006, 12:37 PM
I think CP (Titus) Winker ;) tried but IMHO I don't think DV gave a damn about the D.

That's a debatable topic. What's not arguable is the fact that this team spent tons of $$ and draft picks trying to fix that defense--it's not a sign that they didnt try or didnt 'want to win'

tk13
07-31-2006, 12:40 PM

I don't know why people listen to Jets fans. I think that quote is practically common sense. The distance between good and bad is so small that you can probably pin at least a couple losses a year on a poor coaching decision. Unless you go 16-0.

SPchief
07-31-2006, 12:42 PM

They're Jets fans, do you really expect them to know what they are talking about?

Count Alex's Wins
07-31-2006, 12:46 PM
I really don't care what they said. As most of you know I've done a 180 on Herm.

shaneo69
07-31-2006, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE=Iowanian]basically, the best way to fill the stadium, was to put a competitive team on the field.QUOTE]

"Competitive", "mediocre"....same thing.

yunghungwell
07-31-2006, 01:23 PM
They're Jets fans, do you really expect them to know what they are talking about?
ROFL

|Zach|
07-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up fellas.

penguinz
07-31-2006, 02:10 PM
I really don't care what they said. As most of you know I've done a 180 on Herm.
Is that what the kids are calling it these days? http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/4397/suckmc0.gif

VonneMarie
07-31-2006, 02:13 PM
Is that what the kids are calling it these days? http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/4397/suckmc0.gif
ROFL

sedated
07-31-2006, 02:28 PM

I don't think we can let this one go by without asking for further explanantion

Dave Lane
07-31-2006, 02:52 PM
He didn't mention any of the DTs.

He said he thought the secondary looked like it was going to be fine though.

I had one of those and it took 6 months to heal..

Dave

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2006, 02:54 PM

Dave

Yeah, but you didn't have Rich Scanlon as your doctor.

ChiefFan31
07-31-2006, 03:07 PM
Good info, thanks for posting it up

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 03:12 PM

Dave

That's because you wouldn't stop kicking your dog. Waters is smarter than you. :D

|Zach|
07-31-2006, 03:14 PM
I am really excited for Sammie Parker and Key Fox this year.

dirk digler
07-31-2006, 03:17 PM

I have been excited about Fox ever since TC last year.

|Zach|
07-31-2006, 03:20 PM
I got a chance to ask him about his knee during that dog and pony show the did after mini camp. He was pretty enthusiastic about its health. Nice guy.

Frankie
07-31-2006, 03:56 PM

I'd take 14-2. :hmmm:

Frankie
07-31-2006, 03:59 PM
As most of you know I've done a 180 on Herm.
How many 69s is that? My math is a bit rusty. :p

Frankie
07-31-2006, 04:21 PM
Pervert!
:p

Baby Lee
07-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Is that the samie as the guy we have on our team?

BigRedChief
07-31-2006, 04:32 PM

I met Fox at the Red Friday thing they had at Arrowhead one time. He was a little dude. He seemed stout and obviusly in great shape but I bet the dude wasn't as tall as my shoulders. Real nice guy though. Signed my football talked a little bit.

Spicy McHaggis
07-31-2006, 04:34 PM
I got a chance to ask him about his knee during that dog and pony show the did after mini camp. He was pretty enthusiastic about its health. Nice guy.

Good to hear. I thought he was a great pick when we drafted him. A shame injuries have kept him out. The only thing I really noticed he needed improvement on was making his reads quickly in pass coverage. Hopefully he's taken the time to learn the scheme because a young linebacking group of Mitchell, DJ, Bell and Fox could be something special for years to come.

|Zach|
07-31-2006, 04:36 PM
I met Fox at the Red Friday thing they had at Arrowhead one time. He was a little dude. He seemed stout and obviusly in great shape but I bet the dude wasn't as tall as my shoulders. Real nice guy though. Signed my football talked a little bit.
The guy is 6-3. Wah??

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2006, 04:37 PM

How tall are you? Key is listed as 6-3.

tk13
07-31-2006, 04:37 PM
I don't think we can let this one go by without asking for further explanantion
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=142654

dirk digler
07-31-2006, 04:41 PM
The guy is 6-3. Wah??

BigRed is a pretty big dude though :)

BigRedChief
07-31-2006, 04:48 PM
How tall are you? Key is listed as 6-3.

I'm 6'3" but there is no way Fox is 6'3". That some media guide stretching of the truth there. The guy wasn't as broad shouldered as me. Defintely shorter. sorry guys but thats the way I remember the meeting.

sedated
07-31-2006, 04:54 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=142654

ahhhh, forgot about that.

f*ck

ChiefFan31
07-31-2006, 05:02 PM
They all fib on the listed height/weight

Chiefnj
07-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Is Holthus the dope who relies on Nick Athan for his inside information?

Spicy McHaggis
07-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Is Holthus the dope who relies on Nick Athan for his inside information?

Not to my knowledge. He's the announcer for Chiefs radio.

KCTitus
08-01-2006, 08:45 AM
DV segregated offense and defense? No wonder that team was bi-polar...I tend to agree with the shorter/faster practice, means the guys arent wearing down in December. Marty's practices were long/hard and the team suffered late, too.

jspchief
08-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Is Holthus the dope who relies on Nick Athan for his inside information?Mitch Holthus is the radio commentator for the Chiefs.

And in my experience, of the guys associated with the organization, he's the least full of shit of any of them. He's been doing morning TC interviews on Des Moines radio for a few years now, and he really has his fnger on the pulse of the Chiefs. If he says he anticipates something happening, you can be fairly confident it will happen.

Coach
08-01-2006, 08:55 AM
DV segregated offense and defense? No wonder that team was bi-polar...I tend to agree with the shorter/faster practice, means the guys arent wearing down in December. Marty's practices were long/hard and the team suffered late, too.

I agree. The seperation of offense and defense isn't a good idea. You'd want your offense and defense together as a whole team mentality. I like the numberical order that Herm did. The Alphabet would work as well.

Shorter, fast, and intense practices = freshness.
Long, fast and brutal practices = tiredness.

Coach
08-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Oh, and I'm not suprised that McNugget got a free pass despite sucking on the football field, while Tynes has to take the punishment.

Sure, Tynes may had costed us a few here and there, but good lord, McNugget was by far the worst. I do wonder if Vermiel did give Hicks a free pass as well. :shake:

jspchief
08-01-2006, 09:06 AM
I've commented before about Vermeil's penchant for publicly trashing his kickers and punters, while giving so many other bums a free pass.

Thanks Dick for the things you brought us, but good fuggin riddance.

Saulbadguy
08-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Mitch Holthus is the radio commentator for the Chiefs.

And in my experience, of the guys associated with the organization, he's the least full of shit of any of them. He's been doing morning TC interviews on Des Moines radio for a few years now, and he really has his fnger on the pulse of the Chiefs. If he says he anticipates something happening, you can be fairly confident it will happen.
Holthus is a work-a-holic. I've read quite a bit about him, and i'm always amazed by his work ethic, and his preperation for gameday, and all the "little things", like this, that he does.

He used to be the Voice of the Wildcats as well, and for 2 seasons, he did both the K-State and Chiefs games. On some weekends, he'd have to do a K-State road game, and leave immediately after the game on a plane (usually at his own cost) to travel to the Chiefs road game site.

He also has the uncanny ability to remember names and high school mascots of small towns in Kansas, even the 8 man teams. He usually knows someone in every town as well..

jspchief
08-01-2006, 09:23 AM
He also has the uncanny ability to remember names and high school mascots of small towns in Kansas, even the 8 man teams. He usually knows someone in every town as well..heh, that must be his schtick.

He's always talking about some small town Iowa football team when he's on the radio here in des Moines.

NewChief
08-01-2006, 09:24 AM
8/1 update:

Papajohn's pizza is the shit. You just know it had to be said, considering he spends 1/2 of every interview talking about it...

That may be changing. I'm pretty sure that PJ lost out on their contract with the Chiefs this season in favor of Domino's. That may only be at Arrowhead, though. PJ may still underwrite his show, though.

jspchief
08-01-2006, 09:27 AM
That may be changing. I'm pretty sure that PJ lost out on their contract with the Chiefs this season in favor of Domino's. That may only be at Arrowhead, though. PJ may still underwrite his show, though.I always assumed he owned some franchises or something.

NewChief
08-01-2006, 09:30 AM
I always assumed he owned some franchises or something.

I don't know. He may. I'm pretty sure the PJ thing where they give away free pizzas to a section is gone this year at Arrowhead. I don't think Domino's will be vending at the stadium (so PJ may continue), but they're doing some advertising via refrigerator magnet schedules with permanent "coupon" deals on them.

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 09:52 AM
The small town football thing is a hoot. Last year he adopted the Earlham Cardinals, and this morning he was talking about having an Albert Cummings concert in Norwalk, on the front lawn of some Drake coach or something.

By the way, Holthus is the voice of the Chiefs, used to broadcast K-State games, and he currently also broadcasts MO Valley basketball...

Lzen
08-01-2006, 10:07 AM

Dave

Yeah, but Waters is 20 years younger. ;)

yunghungwell
08-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Has anybody said what station Holthus is on in DSM? :banghead:

BigRedChief
08-01-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm 6'3" but there is no way Fox is 6'3". That some media guide stretching of the truth there. The guy wasn't as broad shouldered as me. Defintely shorter. sorry guys but thats the way I remember the meeting.

Heres a pic taken a month ago with me and Tony G for size comparison.

http://eteamz.active.com/lscardinals/images/DougandTony.jpg

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Has anybody said what station Holthus is on in DSM? :banghead:

KXNO, 1460AM...right around 7:25 every morning...

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Heres a pic taken a month ago with me and Tony G for size comparison.

http://eteamz.active.com/lscardinals/images/DougandTony.jpg

Dude, don't shoot me, but you kinda look like Chris Penn. :D

Iowanian
08-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Not "footloose" Chris Penn either.

I was thinking the kid that played the Catcher on "the sandlot"

butt sniffer {sniff sniff}

Pee drinking crapface

you play baaaaaaaall like a girrrrrrrrl

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Not "footloose" Chris Penn either.

I was thinking the kid that played the Catcher on "the sandlot"

butt sniffer {sniff sniff}

Pee drinking crapface

you play baaaaaaaall like a girrrrrrrrl

:hmmm:

I was thinking "Corky Romano".

BigRedChief
08-01-2006, 10:50 AM
:hmmm:

I was thinking "Corky Romano".

I was thinking Brad Pitt

Baby Lee
08-01-2006, 11:03 AM
I was thinking Brad Pitt
Anyone notice that that baby's name is Shiloh Neuvelle Jolie-Pitt?

In short, Shiloh Pitt?

So in kindergarten, her name with be Piloh Shitt?

kepp
08-01-2006, 12:11 PM

In short, Shiloh Pitt?

Ouch...they forgot to run that name through the tease-o-meter

jspchief
08-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Has anybody said what station Holthus is on in DSM? :banghead:The morning show (Cotler) is available online too, for those that care to listen on the intertubes.

Cormac
08-01-2006, 02:05 PM

In short, Shiloh Pitt?

ROFL

That can't be.....

ROFL LMAO

C-Mac
08-01-2006, 04:16 PM
8/1 update:Sounds like the Chiefs are VERY close to bringing in a backup RB that Mitch said is "much better" than Brown or Griffin. He mentioned injury rehab, which leads me to believe it is Michael Bennett. He said he wasn't going to mention names because the deal is not done yet, but it's VERY close...

Bet its Stephen Davis if he's still out there...

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 04:24 PM

That's a very interesting take out of far left field...

Woodrow Call
08-01-2006, 04:34 PM
:hmmm: Thats not a bad idea if he has anything left in the tank. Probably be cheaper and not cost a pick.

booger
08-01-2006, 05:32 PM
TJ Duckett might be a possibility.

Don't really like him that much. I've heard recently they don't really want to deal him.

patteeu
08-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Herm's attitude is really infecting the players. Vermeil's practices were long and wearing but not physical. Herm's practices are shorter, more intense, and efficient. Vermeil split the locker room offense on one side, defense on the other, really hurt team unity. Herm splits lockerroom #1-50 on one side, #51-99 on the other.

Wow, the WR's will look like little kids on their half of the room.

Spicy McHaggis
08-01-2006, 07:21 PM

Hmmm, my friend from South Carolina has said the same thing. I was under the impression he is a FA too, so at least we wouldn't have to give something up for him. Not much mystery to his style though I imagine he'd be able to hold up if he were only getting 5-10 carries a game.

Eh, either way it's a position that needs to be addressed.

Rausch
08-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Haven't heard much about Charlie Garner or Amos Zerowhatever for a while. Their styles would fit our offense as a no 2...

wutamess
08-02-2006, 12:54 AM
Looks like Holthus was right.
Bennett's a Chiefie.

yunghungwell
08-02-2006, 08:07 AM
The small town football thing is a hoot. Last year he adopted the Earlham Cardinals, and this morning he was talking about having an Albert Cummings concert in Norwalk, on the front lawn of some Drake coach or something.

By the way, Holthus is the voice of the Chiefs, used to broadcast K-State games, and he currently also broadcasts MO Valley basketball...

He knows where Dike/New Hartford is! :)

yunghungwell
08-02-2006, 08:12 AM
He says that Bennett is a great back-up. And says to read between the lines on Holms. Bennett has 4.4 yrd per carry ave. He says that Bennett is more of a homerun threat than Priest.

yunghungwell
08-02-2006, 08:15 AM
Says that defense is way better and will be better coached.

ct
08-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Looks like Holthus was right.
Bennett's a Chiefie.

This is why I like Holtus. He can tease you with good info, rather than complete BS like Athan. Wichita's local AM sport station has daily updates from Athan. I sent them an e-mail asking if they did not realize that he was a joke, and they should strongly push to get a daily update with Holtus instead.

htismaqe
08-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Just added my update. Thanks to wutamess for listening too!

KCTitus
08-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Mitch said the staff was night and day different...different how, did he elaborate on that?

wutamess
08-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Just added my update. Thanks to wutamess for listening too!

I didn't/don't listen, I rely on you for my Holthus/Chiefs fix.

As far as WR's go... Non of the Saints WR"s would probably be a good fit here.

Horn... experienced (older and going down hill).
Stallworth... good WR but will cost high draft pick and is consistentnly hurt. (Ask my FFL teams how he's done)
Henderson... inexperienced. Not willing to give up a draft pick on him.

Now The Grnich gave J. Porter permission to seek a trade.
I hope this is something we've been thinking about rather than going back to the NO stash.

htismaqe
08-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Mitch said the staff was night and day different...different how, did he elaborate on that?

The impression that I get is that Vermeil's practices were more about conditioning and repetition, whereas Herm's practices are more instruction and intensity. He said it's just a different attitude.

htismaqe
08-02-2006, 09:56 AM
I added a couple of things I just remembered.

As for the Saints WR's, yes they all have question marks. But they also would all be upgrades over what we have. All of them fit this offense. And don't be surprised if we give up players rather than picks to get one of them.

Chief Henry
08-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the updates...I wish KXNO would
webcast there shows dammitt.

htismaqe
08-02-2006, 10:09 AM
webcast there shows dammitt.

I was under the impression they do.

Chiefnj
08-02-2006, 10:16 AM
I added a couple of things I just remembered.

As for the Saints WR's, yes they all have question marks. But they also would all be upgrades over what we have. All of them fit this offense. And don't be surprised if we give up players rather than picks to get one of them.

Where do the Chiefs have depth to give up a player??

CoMoChief
08-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Bring back Joe Horn!!!!!!!!!!

Nah just kidding, he's good but he's too expensive for as old as he is.

the Talking Can
08-02-2006, 10:23 AM
fyi...CP on 610 said it was a non-conditional 2nd day pick for Bennett...

I really like the way we're plugging holes with Law and Bennett...it "seems" we're more pro-active and agressive than usual the last 2 years...

CoMoChief
08-02-2006, 10:27 AM

QB Huard, RB Griffin/Brown, SS Sammy Night???

Hell I say trade Knight straight up for Stallworth considering the safeties we have are pushing for starting slots already in camp.

Woodrow Call
08-02-2006, 10:31 AM
I would love to see Page and Pollard win the starting safety jobs. Sure would be nice to have a pair of young hard-hitters back there.

htismaqe
08-02-2006, 10:36 AM

The Saints are reportedly looking for depth at DT. Despite the lack of quality starters, we have a logjam of depth there.

InChiefsHell
08-02-2006, 10:43 AM
We are shopping for a WR, Willy is gone...we will get Horn back from NO...

Chiefnj
08-02-2006, 10:45 AM
The Saints are reportedly looking for depth at DT. Despite the lack of quality starters, we have a logjam of depth there.

If the Saints are willing to trade a player for one of KC's backup DT's the NFL should immediately force the sale of the team and relocate them. It would be an obvious sign of corruption and game fixing. I'm only half kidding.

ct
08-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Junior for Stallworth would be just fine by me.

Junior and Wesley for Horn would also be fine by me.

Henderson has proven nutin, and we've already got 3-4 guys just like that. He doesn't improve anything.

htismaqe
08-02-2006, 11:04 AM
If the Saints are willing to trade a player for one of KC's backup DT's the NFL should immediately force the sale of the team and relocate them. It would be an obvious sign of corruption and game fixing. I'm only half kidding.

I know what you're saying, I'm just repeating what I've heard from several sources.

That being said, the Saints have gotten out of Henderson and Stallworth just about what we've gotten out of guys like Siavii. So it would actually be an equitable trade.

CoMoChief
08-02-2006, 11:08 AM
I know what you're saying, I'm just repeating what I've heard from several sources.

That being said, the Saints have gotten out of Henderson and Stallworth just about what we've gotten out of guys like Siavii. So it would actually be an equitable trade.

Hey at least Stallworth is good in Madden.

htismaqe
08-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Hey at least Stallworth is good in Madden.

Both he and Henderson have good upside and may just need a change of scenery. I'd GLADLY trade Junior for either of them.

Chiefnj
08-02-2006, 11:27 AM

Didn't Stallworth have @ 70 receptions for around 1000 yards last year? That's much more productivity than anything Siavii has done, unless you count the damage at the all you can eat buffet.

htismaqe
08-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Didn't Stallworth have @ 70 receptions for around 1000 yards last year? That's much more productivity than anything Siavii has done, unless you count the damage at the all you can eat buffet.

He had like 70 catches and about 900 yards, but he's also apparently VERY unhappy, a cancer in the lockerroom, and the guy they want to get rid of more than anyone else.

Spicy McHaggis
08-02-2006, 12:36 PM
He had like 70 catches and about 900 yards, but he's also apparently VERY unhappy, a cancer in the lockerroom, and the guy they want to get rid of more than anyone else.

And a free agent after this year, IIRC. I'm sure he thinks he's worth way more than he actually is. And for being a fast "stretch the field" guy he only averaged about 13 yards a catch the last 2 seasons.

keg in kc
08-02-2006, 01:04 PM
As for the Saints WR's, yes they all have question marks. But they also would all be upgrades over what we have. All of them fit this offense. And don't be surprised if we give up players rather than picks to get one of them.I'd be surprised just for the fact that player-player trades are so rare.

Chiefnj
08-02-2006, 01:04 PM
And a free agent after this year, IIRC. I'm sure he thinks he's worth way more than he actually is. And for being a fast "stretch the field" guy he only averaged about 13 yards a catch the last 2 seasons.

He's put up some good numbers for a #2 receiver. Would anybody be unhappy if Parker had 70 receptions for 950 yards this year as the #2 receiver?

htismaqe
08-02-2006, 01:25 PM
I'd be surprised just for the fact that player-player trades are so rare.

Very true.

tk13
08-02-2006, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the two 'young' safeties push hard for playing time, and Herm plays them. People forget he had two 2nd day draft picks thrown in the fire in NY... and they did alright. Herm has a pretty good record with safeties. I think our secondary play is going to be very good this year... hopefully the rest of the D can keep up.

Mecca
08-02-2006, 04:41 PM
They can have Browning and Siavii if they want to give us Stallworth...

Chief Henry
08-02-2006, 04:44 PM
I was under the impression they do.

About one month ago I checked there website and you could not listen
then. I just checked there website and they've updated everything
including being able to listen over the web. Thanks for the heads up.
I appreciate it greatly.

jspchief
08-02-2006, 05:15 PM
webcast there shows dammitt.They stream all their local content. Cotler, Miller, and Marty & Miller are all available on the web.

You can't get Rome, or Out of Bounds.

milkman
08-02-2006, 06:37 PM
Mitch said Pollard and Page are pushing the starters NOW. Pollard could be a starter sooner rather than later, and Page obviously wants Wesley's job and might be the guy next year. He said they're all over the field and the coaching staff has really had to ride them about not lighting people up during "wrap and release" drills.

This paragraph alone is reason enough to start Page over Wesley right now.

Imagine what these guys would be like in a game, if they are hitting like that at practice against their teammates.

htismaqe
08-02-2006, 06:53 PM
They stream all their local content. Cotler, Miller, and Marty & Miller are all available on the web.

You can't get Rome, or Out of Bounds.

Marty and Miller are BRUTAL. I can't believe KXNO was so desperate to replace Deace that they had to resort to that...

the Talking Can
08-02-2006, 07:39 PM
well, I'll just use this as an all-purpose radio chatter thread:

Rhondzilla on 610 said that CP told her that Roaf's agent told CP that "the door was still open" regarding Roaf...got that?

said the players are really baffled and that Gonzo just expressed his disappointment in Roaf's decision...but I haven't heard the Gonzo interview anywhere..

the Talking Can
08-02-2006, 07:41 PM
oh yeah...and Dalton tweaked his knee in practice and was taken for an MRI....no word yet....

fingers crossed...

Coach
08-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Hopefully that injury isn't severe or anything. Lord knows that the Chiefs need the depth.

the Talking Can
08-03-2006, 10:11 AM
couple of tidbits from Petro this morning:

he saw lots of 3-4 in practice...Bell inside, Fox outside...didn't say who was on the DL

not excited about Bell...said the only person praising Bell was Gunther, implied that Gun was doing so because he (Gun) was the reason CP signed Bell...

ROYC75
08-03-2006, 10:15 AM
No report from Mitch ?

Any news on Dalton ?

KCTitus
08-03-2006, 10:17 AM
This paragraph alone is reason enough to start Page over Wesley right now.

Imagine what these guys would be like in a game, if they are hitting like that at practice against their teammates.

Sounds like the Chiefs safety tandems of the past...I really look forward to seeing these two in the preseason games laying some wood. I may be an offensive homer, but I really have missed the big hits that KC's defense use to put on in the 90's. Im ready for some of that again.

C-Mac
08-03-2006, 10:24 AM
well, I'll just use this as an all-purpose radio chatter thread:

Rhondzilla on 610 said that CP told her that Roaf's agent told CP that "the door was still open" regarding Roaf...got that?

said the players are really baffled and that Gonzo just expressed his disappointment in Roaf's decision...but I haven't heard the Gonzo interview anywhere..

Q&A with TE TONY GONZALEZ - 8/2
Aug 02, 2006, 7:37:22 PM

TRAINING CAMP

Q: Do you worry about getting contract done this season?

GONZALEZ: Id be lying to you telling you I didnt think about it, but Im not worried about it like a negative thing, not by any means. My cap number is really high and it would kind of hurt the team for me to play under that cap number this year.

Q: You once said one of the ways to get to a Super Bowl was to sign CB Ty Law.

GONZALEZ: Well, we got him. I think that shows the dedication that this organization has towards going to a Super Bowl. This year, I know I said it last year and I really did think it last year, for me this really is the year. Its now or never.

Q: Youve been saying that for the last three years. Is it every year the window is closing?

GONZALEZ: Im optimistic anyway, but at the same time youve got to think G Will Shields, he said this is going to be his last year. Were all getting a little bit older on the offensive side of the ball. At the same time, T Willie Roaf had a lot to do with that. Whatever hes thinking or wherever hes at, maybe he comes back, Im keeping my fingers crossed hopefully he comes back and we can make that run.

Q: If Roaf doesnt come back do you see your role changing?

GONZALEZ: No I dont think so. I think we went through that last year and we brought it T Kyle Turley. Im sure you guys can tell, hes playing outstanding so as soon as he gets really into the groove of things and gets back into it, its only been a week and hes playing pretty good football. I anticipate him going out there and doing a great job if Willies not here.

Q: Did it surprise you that Roaf retired?

GONZALEZ: It definitely surprised me and Im a little disappointed, Id be lying if said that I wasnt because hes a big part of this team, hes huge. Were talking about our All-Pro left tackle not being there. Its something that were going to have to go out there and just make it work. Its something well have to overcome.

Q: Have you talked to Willie?

GONZALEZ: I called him one time and he didnt return my phone call.

Q: I understand hes not returning many phone calls?

GONZALEZ: I called him, hes down in Newport Beach, and Im down in Huntington Beach right down there. I havent heard from him, but if hes listening, come on back because were having a good time and weve got a good football team.

Q: How are you feeling?

GONZALEZ: I feel good. I feel real good.

Q: Does your role change without Willie?

GONZALEZ: Like I said before, Kyle is going to come in here and hes going to do a good job. As far as my role goes, its pretty much the same as its always been. They throw me the ball and they throw me the ball a lot. The only thing that I wanted more this year was more calls in the Red Zone, just calling my number and I think that they are going to do that. Coach Solari and I have been together since Ive been here so he knows what I can do and he knows what I like. Hes actually asked me what I like to do and hes calling those plays, so I cant complain at this point right now and well see how it goes in the season. As far as Im concerned, in the Red Zone Im going to get those calls this year.

Q: What are your thoughts on the new way of doing things in training camp so far?

I love it. Obviously you guys know Im not a big fan of two-a-days, I think they have no place in football, but thats just my opinion. The way Coach Edwards does it, especially with the veteran guys, he gives guys days off. We know what were doing. After 12-years in the NFL, dont tell me I need to come out here twice a day and run a seven route. I know what Im doing when it comes to that type of stuff and we know this offense. Its not a new offense, weve been doing it for the last five years. The way Coach Edwards runs things, this is like a dream come true. You can ask any guy on this team, its something else. We feel fresh and were going to go out there and bust our behinds to get better.

Q: Do you think this contract will be more difficult than normal?

GONZALEZ: Yeah, it gets more difficult because youve got a guy like (49ers) TE Vernon Davis, obviously his contract is something Ive noticed. I understand how it works. (Titans) QB Vince Young is making more money than Trent Green and he hasnt even played a down. Thats just how it goes and its how the system is set up. Im not looking for anything to break the bank. Im just looking to go out there and I want to be a Chief. Thats first and foremost, Ive been here my whole career and I want to finish it here. I have no doubt in my mind well get this thing done. I dont know if its sooner or later, but eventually well get this thing done.

Q: Do you see a difference in RB Larry Johnson?

GONZALEZ: Yeah, hes become more of a leader. Hes more vocal in the locker room. The way hes playing on the field, hes picked up right where he left off, actually I think hes gotten better. I think if he keeps up what hes doing in camp, and its early in camp, but I think you learn from the best. Learning from a guy like RB Priest Holmes, the work ethic and FB Tony Richardson. Hes come out here with his own identity now and its looking pretty well for him.

htismaqe
08-03-2006, 10:24 AM
No report from Mitch ?

Any news on Dalton ?

I posted a report. I missed the first couple of minutes, so it was rather short.

the Talking Can
08-03-2006, 11:10 AM
couple of tidbits from Petro this morning:

he saw lots of 3-4 in practice...Bell inside, Fox outside...didn't say who was on the DL

not excited about Bell...said the only person praising Bell was Gunther, implied that Gun was doing so because he (Gun) was the reason CP signed Bell...

I forgot, Petro said Roaf's agent was at camp to discuss something with CP...

InChiefsHell
08-03-2006, 11:15 AM
I forgot, Petro said Roaf's agent was at camp to discuss something with CP...

God, I hope it's not what kind of cake he wants for his retirement party...

Lzen
08-03-2006, 03:52 PM
I posted a report. I missed the first couple of minutes, so it was rather short.

It appears as though you put the wrong date on it. ;) The last 2 reports are dated 8/2.

the Talking Can
08-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Q&A with TE TONY GONZALEZ - 8/2
Aug 02, 2006, 7:37:22 PM

TRAINING CAMP

Q: Do you worry about getting contract done this season?

thanks...

Mecca
08-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Adding to this I'm listening to Petro on KK's show......

He said the freight train up there isn't just running over Vermiel it's running over Al Saunders too. He said we've heard all the stuff the players were saying about Vermiel. He said alot of them are saying things about Saunders like "he just wanted records" "he didn't care about winning he just wanted to score as many points as he could" and alot of things like that....

CoMoChief
08-03-2006, 09:57 PM
We've been told by Jets fans that Herm not only makes bad decision in-game, but he hired assistant Dick Curl to make bad decisions for him.

Yeah I was not thrilled at all when they announced Curl was coming over to KC. The guy is a total dumbass.

Jim Jones
08-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Adding to this I'm listening to Petro on KK's show......

He said the freight train up there isn't just running over Vermiel it's running over Al Saunders too. He said we've heard all the stuff the players were saying about Vermiel. He said alot of them are saying things about Saunders like "he just wanted records" "he didn't care about winning he just wanted to score as many points as he could" and alot of things like that....

Isn't scoring as many points as you can the whole point of football? Score more points and you win.

Logical
08-04-2006, 01:45 AM
Q: You once said one of the ways to get to a Super Bowl was to sign CB Ty Law.

GONZALEZ: Well, we got him. I think that shows the dedication that this organization has towards going to a Super Bowl. This year, I know I said it last year and I really did think it last year, for me this really is the year. Its now or never.

:hmmm: Sounds like a warning to me, this may be his last year in KC.

penguinz
08-04-2006, 08:25 AM
:hmmm: Sounds like a warning to me, this may be his last year in KC.
You are so full of it. He has said this in almost every pre-season for the past few years.

htismaqe
08-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Today's update added.

htismaqe
08-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Isn't scoring as many points as you can the whole point of football? Score more points and you win.

Um, no. The point of football is to score more points than the other team. Scoring "as many points as you can" isn't always conducive to scoring more points than the other team.

ROYC75
08-04-2006, 08:57 AM
Sounds as thou the defense is better,last year it had no attitude, time will tell.

htismaqe
08-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Sounds as thou the defense is better,last year it had no attitude, time will tell.

Yep. I guess Herm has made no bones about telling all of them that they were soft and he's not.

InChiefsHell
08-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Funny that he says he's not happy with the DLine...seems all we have heard to this point is that they are better this year...:hmmm:

htismaqe
08-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Funny that he says he's not happy with the DLine...seems all we have heard to this point is that they are better this year...:hmmm:

I don't think they're mutually exclusive.

1) His not being happy might be making them better.

2) They were AWFUL. "Better" is a relative term. Better than "average" is "good". But better than "awful" could still be "bad".

InChiefsHell
08-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Good point. If a pile of shit smells better than last years pile of shit...well...it's still a pile of shit...

DaKCMan AP
08-04-2006, 12:25 PM
He said they're all over the field and the coaching staff has really had to ride them about not lighting people up during "wrap and release" drills.

I LOVE this part!! :)

tiptap
08-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Won't we have to settle whether Roaf is coming back before trading for Horn. Of course we could tell Roaf he'd nix the trade for Horn if he would come back.

Count Alex's Wins
08-04-2006, 01:38 PM
I love Herm.

penguinz
08-04-2006, 01:42 PM
I love sperm.

Fixed your post for you.

ChiefFan31
08-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Yeah I was not thrilled at all when they announced Curl was coming over to KC. The guy is a total dumbass.

Agreed

From what I have read, it was Dick Curl who was in Herms ear whispering a lot of those sitty clock management decisions. I think Herm is young enough to change and has surrounded himself with a pretty good staff here in KC. He dont need that old cronie anymore IMO

And, yes Siavii for Stallworth sure would be nice :D

Count Alex's Wins
08-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Trent should just forget we have a coaching staff when he runs the 2-minute drill.

Mecca
08-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Trent should just forget we have a coaching staff when he runs the 2-minute drill.

Didn't you say we were fine at WR.........while it seems everyone who watches camp. Including people who work for the Chiefs think they're awful.

Count Alex's Wins
08-04-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't think anyone can make an accurate judgement until the preseason. I think we've got plenty of talent behind the starters, moreso than last year, anyway.

keg in kc
08-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Didn't you say we were fine at WR.........while it seems everyone who watches camp. Including people who work for the Chiefs think they're awful.I've heard we're fine 1-3, it's finding a 4th that we're having trouble with.

That's not awful, that's like pretty much every other NFL squad in the salary cap era.

Logical
08-05-2006, 12:53 AM
I don't think anyone can make an accurate judgement until the preseason. I think we've got plenty of talent behind the starters, moreso than last year, anyway.

Except at WR and OT I agree with you. The drop off in starting talent at OT is so severe that we have went from having one of the strongest offensive lines to the bottom half of the league. I guess Crap must be crap from what we are hearing, that is too bad.

Count Alex's Wins
08-05-2006, 01:14 AM
Except at WR and OT I agree with you.

That's ridiculous.

You don't think Thorpe and Webb are more talented than bums like Chris Horn and Marc Boerigter?

As for the offensive tackles, Svitek is about as talented as they come, and Sampson's pretty good on the other side. Actually, I guess Sampson's the starter over there. Black sucks, but he's going to play more guard I think.

Anyway...poop.

the Talking Can
08-05-2006, 06:49 AM
The drop off in starting talent at OT is so severe that we have went from having one of the strongest offensive lines to the bottom half of the league.

please...we could line up just Shields/Weigmann/Waters and have a better OL than many teams...chill

htismaqe
08-05-2006, 09:37 AM
I've heard we're fine 1-3, it's finding a 4th that we're having trouble with.

That's not awful, that's like pretty much every other NFL squad in the salary cap era.

Yep. Everything I've heard is that Kennison, Parker, and Dante are just fine, if not better than fine.

It's just that Thorpe, McIntyre, Webb, and the rest are a bunch of bums.

htismaqe
08-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Except at WR and OT I agree with you. The drop off in starting talent at OT is so severe that we have went from having one of the strongest offensive lines to the bottom half of the league. I guess Crap must be crap from what we are hearing, that is too bad.

That's absolutely ridiculous. Losing Roaf doesn't even knock us out of the top 10, let alone drop us to bottom half.

Will Shields is a HoF'er and he's the 2nd-best guard on our team.

morphius
08-05-2006, 10:25 AM
That's ridiculous.

You don't think Thorpe and Webb are more talented than bums like Chris Horn and Marc Boerigter?

As for the offensive tackles, Svitek is about as talented as they come, and Sampson's pretty good on the other side. Actually, I guess Sampson's the starter over there. Black sucks, but he's going to play more guard I think.

Anyway...poop.
They might have a ton more talent, but if they can't learn their adjustments, they are worthless.

Count Alex's Wins
08-05-2006, 12:59 PM
No shit? I had no idea. That's what training camp and preseason are for. Samie Parker used to suck, too.

Calcountry
08-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Uh oh. Tynes won't like this rule.As long as he lets them slap their women arround, LJ be coo.

Calcountry
08-05-2006, 02:09 PM
[damn server.]

he addressed rumors that Law was upset and only came here because of Roaf. carl said that Law came here for green, american cash dollars....and if he really felt that way, that he would release him from his contract.....but was confident that wasn't the reason he came.No, the best way to fill the stadium, is to put a championship team on the field.

Calcountry
08-05-2006, 02:13 PM
I really don't care what they said. As most of you know I've done a 180 on Herm.So let me get this straight, you now affirm Herm?

tk13
08-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Didn't you say we were fine at WR.........while it seems everyone who watches camp. Including people who work for the Chiefs think they're awful.
You were the one arguing up and down that we didn't need Eddie Kennison because we could find anyone to play WR for the Chiefs with our offense...

Count Alex's Wins
08-06-2006, 08:36 PM
So let me get this straight, you now affirm Herm?

Herm is great. I can't argue against anything he's done this preseason.

He appears to have learned from his previous mistakes (i.e. hiring pathetic coaching assistants).

ROYC75
08-07-2006, 12:47 PM
What's this ? No Update for Monday, 08/07/06 ? Not even a Pappa Johns Pizza commercial ?

htismaqe
08-07-2006, 12:54 PM
What's this ? No Update for Monday, 08/07/06 ? Not even a Pappa Johns Pizza commercial ?

There's an update. Obviously, he's not on Des Moines radio on SATURDAY'S, which means the 8/5 update is a typo...

Smartass. :D

InChiefsHell
08-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Defense was bad....that sucks. Although, I guess it's to be expected. But the whole defense sucked,and nobody stood out as a bright spot? ...yech...

ROYC75
08-07-2006, 01:04 PM
There's an update. Obviously, he's not on Des Moines radio on SATURDAY'S, which means the 8/5 update is a typo...

Smartass. :D

Sorry, I wasn't aware of this........ Smartass # 1 :D

No Sunday practices ?

Count Alex's Wins
08-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Samie Parker is going to shred some defenses this year. I can't wait.

htismaqe
08-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Samie Parker is going to shred some defenses this year. I can't wait.

Mitch went out of his way to say that what was SO impressive about Sammie WAS NOT him catching deep passes or burning CB's.

It was him consistently snagging 5-yard slants on 3rd and 3.

ROYC75
08-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Being reliable as a go to guy is what we need.........

Good news!

sedated
08-07-2006, 02:52 PM

they might be more talented, but no one did more with less than Boerigter. We'll miss him (I will, anyway)

As for the offensive tackles, Svitek is about as talented as they come

might be a stretch considering he was a 6th round pick

Count Alex's Wins
08-07-2006, 02:54 PM
they might be more talented, but no one did more with less than Boerigter. We'll miss him (I will, anyway)

Boerigter did shit here.

might be a stretch considering he was a 6th round pick

He was a sixth-round pick because he was a defensive end in college. No one else did as good a job of scouting him as the Chiefs did. He was targeted to be the left tackle of the future.

sedated
08-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Boerigter did shit here.

yeah, those 8 TD's really sucked the one year he actually go to play

he tore an ACL one year, and got burried on the bench for no reason another.

he would be an asset opposite the speedsters such as Kennison, Parker, Hall, etc, etc, etc

tall, fast, and reliable hands

and he could still be productive in Green Bay (if Favre wasn't his QB)

(Joe Horn did shit here too.)

chief2000
08-07-2006, 03:43 PM
This thread is not that informative.

htismaqe
08-07-2006, 03:57 PM
yeah, those 8 TD's really sucked the one year he actually go to play

he tore an ACL one year, and got burried on the bench for no reason another.

he would be an asset opposite the speedsters such as Kennison, Parker, Hall, etc, etc, etc

tall, fast, and reliable hands

and he could still be productive in Green Bay (if Favre wasn't his QB)

(Joe Horn did shit here too.)

Bo was the beneficiary of being the opposition's 6th or 7th matchup. He's a marginal player AT BEST, and we won't miss him in the slightest.

htismaqe
08-07-2006, 03:58 PM
This thread is not that informative.

Then I'm sure you'll find yourself right at home here.

htismaqe
08-07-2006, 03:58 PM
BTW, anybody that says Marc Boergiter had reliable hands wasn't watching very closely. He was benched, BY HIS OWN ADMISSION, because he couldn't hang onto the ball...

sedated
08-07-2006, 04:16 PM
BTW, anybody that says Marc Boergiter had reliable hands wasn't watching very closely. He was benched, BY HIS OWN ADMISSION, because he couldn't hang onto the ball...

he was white, therefore he could catch

penguinz
08-07-2006, 05:20 PM
he was white, therefore he could catch
Are you really this dumb?

JBucc
08-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Are you really this dumb?It's true. All white people have geat hands. Trent could be a possesion reciever if he wanted to.

Calcountry
08-07-2006, 07:29 PM
It's true. All white people have geat hands. Trent could be a possesion reciever if he wanted to.But they can't jump.