PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing question.

Jayhawkerman2001
07-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Ok, other than Bennet Springs, is there anywhere to fly fish in missouri? My wife and I went fly fishing on our honeymoon in colorado and I have been hooked ever since, but I dont want the commercialized bennet springs to do it. Any info would be great, I guess any surrounding states would work too.

Otter
07-31-2006, 10:35 PM
I've never done any flyfishing in MO so I can't help you directly. However, below is the board I use to keep up with the fly fishing news in my area.

Below is a link to the mid-west section that may help you out:

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=80

Quick Google Search brought up this as well:

MO's Best Fly Streams (http://www.missourigameandfish.com/fishing/trout-fishing/mo_aa063204a/)

beavis
07-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Bennett is a real drag nowadays. 10-15 years ago, you didn't have every knob that bought a fly rod yesterday casting over your line all day. The only times worth going anymore are through the week, or late in the fall right before the season closes. Even then, the fishing isn't as great as it used to be. The management of the stream has gone way down hill IMO.

The bad part is, there aren't a lot of other options in MO. I haven't been to Taneycomo in years, as it's too far of a drive for just a weekend. Rivers in the middle of the state are more for floating than fly fishing, although there are fish to be caught in streams like the Current.

Once you've spent anytime in Colorado, you realize how bad it is here in Missouri. You can't turn around out there without bumping into a place to wet your line.

Bwana
07-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Don't know, but it kicks ass up here in Montana. ;)

ferrarispider95
08-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Taneycomo is good, especially if you can make it there during a weekday (not busy). Everything up by the dam is now only flyfishing or spincasting. Lots of trout are up in there and during spawning season a lot of size can be caught. There was a 25lb brown that came out of there a few years ago.

Also there is stuff to do in Branson also when you are not fishing.

If you ever happen to be there when they are backflushing the filters at the hatchery, the smell will carry down to the lake and the fish will go into a feeding frenzy.

I been fishing down there for about 15 years and have only been skunked once or twice.

ferrarispider95
08-01-2006, 01:23 AM

I would love to flyfish in Montana, branson is nice, but it is defintely not Montana.

Moooo
08-01-2006, 01:30 AM

This thread wasn't complete until you chimed in.

I don't know if there's a specific reason you want to stay in Missouri, but there's an AWESOME part of the White River in Arkansas just south of Bull Shoals dam.

In Missouri there's a place near Brixey, Missouri named Rockbridge that's a trout farm (Rainbow, too!). It's not a challenge in the slightest, but if you're looking for some yummy dinner, it's where its at!

Moooo

Otter
08-01-2006, 01:57 AM
Bennett is a real drag nowadays. 10-15 years ago, you didn't have every knob that bought a fly rod yesterday casting over your line all day. The only times worth going anymore are through the week, or late in the fall right before the season closes. Even then, the fishing isn't as great as it used to be. The management of the stream has gone way down hill IMO.

The bad part is, there aren't a lot of other options in MO. I haven't been to Taneycomo in years, as it's too far of a drive for just a weekend. Rivers in the middle of the state are more for floating than fly fishing, although there are fish to be caught in streams like the Current.

Once you've spent anytime in Colorado, you realize how bad it is here in Missouri. You can't turn around out there without bumping into a place to wet your line.

That really does suck.

I've always followed the unwritten rule that if I can hear someone talk or hit them with a good rocks throw that we're too close when it comes to fly fishing.

Jayhawkerman2001
08-01-2006, 01:58 AM
Im definitely in it for the challenge of the sport. Only reason i say in missouri is because thats where im at, dont have much time and money to travel to the mountains, but I have heard from other people that Arkansas is really good place to fly fish. I'm actually planning on going to colorado state university to do their wildlife and fisheries biology programs, i should have done it from day one instead of waiting a couple years for it.

Jayhawkerman2001
08-01-2006, 02:00 AM
That really does suck.

I've always followed the unwritten rule that if I can hear someone talk or hit them with a good rocks throw that we're too close when it comes to fly fishing.

Thats the thing about fly fishing, trout are very sensitive to noises and commotion in the mountains, so you cant really talk much at all and cant move an inch if you're casting downstream. I love the sport. I just really need to move to the mountains, it'd make my life a lot easier

Moooo
08-01-2006, 02:11 AM
Thats the thing about fly fishing, trout are very sensitive to noises and commotion in the mountains, so you cant really talk much at all and cant move an inch if you're casting downstream. I love the sport. I just really need to move to the mountains, it'd make my life a lot easier

Brown or Rainbow? I'm serious about that place in Arkansas. Its about 20 minutes south of the Missouri border, and although I'm no fly fisherman, I've heard people talk about it. Look it up on the internet, it's the White River, south of the dam on Bull Shoals Lake.

Moooo

Jayhawkerman2001
08-01-2006, 02:16 AM
Brown or Rainbow? I'm serious about that place in Arkansas. Its about 20 minutes south of the Missouri border, and although I'm no fly fisherman, I've heard people talk about it. Look it up on the internet, it's the White River, south of the dam on Bull Shoals Lake.

Moooo

Awesome man, thanks for the information. I got family in bentonville, so could make that a little trip or something. I love Arkansas.

Moooo
08-01-2006, 02:21 AM
Awesome man, thanks for the information. I got family in bentonville, so could make that a little trip or something. I love Arkansas.

Its brown trout there. I forgot to say that, but that might be a selling point.

I've also heard Lake Taneycomo (which is actually a river, IMO) is a place a lot of people go. It's RIGHT by Branson, I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Moooo

NewChief
08-01-2006, 05:34 AM
As others said, head down to Arkansas which boasts the current brown trout world record. The Norfork and White (actually two branches of same river system) provide fantastic fishing opportunities.

One thing you need to be aware of is that they're both tailwaters, meaning they're subject to generation, meaning they're subject to sudden rises in water. Unless you have a boat, it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the generation patterns, as nothing sucks more than making a long drive and finding that the water is too high to wade. That being said, between the two rivers, you can usually find an area with low water, you just have to stop into the fly shops and ask for some help.

Nymphing is pretty much standard technique down here, with scuds, sow bugs, and midges providing the goto patterns. Olive wooly buggers are also extremely popular. In low water, expect to go to light tippet, preferably flourocarbon, as the fish are spooky and the water is clear.

In Missouri, you can also try the other trout parks. Meramac (I believe) and Roaring River. Both are fairly "commercial" as well. There are also a couple of wilder streams, the North Fork of the White (check into a place called River of Life Farms, if you don't mind paying a little bit to fish), the Eleven Point, and the Current all provide opportunities to catch trout outside the trout park mentality.

Finally, as others said, Taneycomo is an excellent fishery. The amounts and sizes of fish in there are astounding. It, however, is also a tailwater, so you need to familiarize yourself with generation patterns. It also gets a lot of pressure, so crowds are a problem. Finally, the sheer numbers of fish that flock around your feet is pretty neat at first, but after a while it takes away the feeling of a 'natural' fishery and makes you realize just how heavily stocked the area is. You start to feel like you're at the carp/catfish feeding station at the botanical garders instead of on a river fishing. This doesn't mean that the fish are easy to catch, they're just everywhere and thick.

Here are some web sites with bulleting boardsfor area fly fishing that should help out.
Fly Fishing Arkansas and Missouri (http://flyfishingarkansas.com/).
Ozark Chronicles (http://ozarkchronicles.com/)
Ozark Anglers (http://ozarkanglers.com/)

Good luck, and if you need anything else, feel free to ask. I do a lot of fishing in the area (too much in my wife's opinion).

PastorMikH
08-01-2006, 05:58 AM
If you want to get technical, you can flyfish anywhere you want in Missouri. But you have to get past the thought that only trout will hit a fly. Bass will eat flies up and your chances of geting a 2-4 lb bass to hit a fly are a lot better than a trout of the same size.

MahiMike
08-01-2006, 06:09 AM
I can remember fishing both Bennett Springs and Roaring River as a kid. Seems like we had better luck at Roaring River.

NewChief
08-01-2006, 06:26 AM
If you want to get technical, you can flyfish anywhere you want in Missouri. But you have to get past the thought that only trout will hit a fly. Bass will eat flies up and your chances of geting a 2-4 lb bass to hit a fly are a lot better than a trout of the same size.

Yup. I only pursue trout about 10% of the time these days. Spend way more time chasing smallies and largemouth, not to mention white bass, stripers, hybrids, panfish, and carp.

On top of that, smallmouth are to the ozarks what trout are to the catskills or rockies. They are our "native" species.

NewChief
08-01-2006, 06:27 AM
Oh,

Forgot to add that I used to live in Fort Collins. Great place! The Poudre and Big Thompson are right in your back yard, and it's a very quick trip up to Wyoming which gets you away from the crowds and into some even wilder areas.

Jayhawkerman2001
08-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Oh,

Forgot to add that I used to live in Fort Collins. Great place! The Poudre and Big Thompson are right in your back yard, and it's a very quick trip up to Wyoming which gets you away from the crowds and into some even wilder areas.

I really wish my wife would move there with me, I want to be close to the mountains so bad, and what Im wanting to do, colorado state offers a really good program for it. damned women... :-(

NewChief
08-02-2006, 05:22 AM
I really wish my wife would move there with me, I want to be close to the mountains so bad, and what Im wanting to do, colorado state offers a really good program for it. damned women... :-(

Money magazine, or some magazine, just named Fort Collins the best place in the US to live. Use that to convince her.

We moved there for my wife's grad school.

jenksme
08-02-2006, 08:11 AM
Lake Taneycomo fly fishing is better than Bennett Springs or any other Trout Park in Missouri. Get there at about 6:30am and watch the fog raise off of the river and it feels like you are close to god.