PDA

View Full Version : USAToday: Johnson focused on title, not 2,000

chefsos
07-31-2006, 11:54 PM
I have absolutely no idea if this is a repost. Didn't look beyond Page One. So there.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/chiefs/2006-08-01-johnson_x.htm?csp=25

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY
RIVER FALLS, Wis. ó Larry Johnson secured each handoff or short pass and raced 30 more yards beyond the last defender time and again during the Kansas City Chiefs' sweltering opening weekend of training camp.
Kansas City's driving force isn't slowing down, no matter what. He is too busy readying himself for a postseason berth.

The Pro Bowl running back wasn't fazed by the 100-plus-degree heat index or Wednesday's news that 11-time Pro Bowl left tackle Willie Roaf plans to retire because of knee and hamstring injuries. Kyle Turley, the former New Orleans Saints and St. Louis Rams tackle attempting a comeback two years after back surgery, has assumed Roaf's spot following his signing in early June.

Johnson, 26, is primed to answer some of the coming season's biggest questions:

Can Johnson, who came on strong with 1,750 yards and 20 rushing touchdowns in 2005, pick up where he left off? Can he rampage through defenses over a full season the way he did the last nine games when he ripped off nine consecutive 100-yard rushing performances? Can he romp anew without Roaf?

Johnson replaced injured starter Priest Holmes, whose career remains in limbo following an Oct. 30 neck injury. The fourth-year pro is focused on a collective goal despite the buzz that he could be the sixth running back in league history to join an elite club.

"Two thousand yards would be nice. But 2,000 is more for the fantasy draft guys," Johnson says. "I'm about getting the Super Bowl ring for (quarterback) Trent Green, (guard) Will Shields and my team.

"Hopefully, I do get 2,000 yards.

"Defenses are going to put eight in the box against me the first eight games to see if they can stop me. But at some point in a game, I'm going to turn loose."

He's readying for the long run.

"I told Larry that with being the guy, you're not going to touch the ball in practice 30 times," new Chiefs coach Herman Edwards says. "In a game, you're going to touch it 30 times. You get the ball in practice, you've got to finish; you've got to get yourself in condition to carry the ball that many times, especially in the fourth quarter.

"He's taken it to that level now where he's finishing everything full speed."

Johnson is a combustible yet introspective mix of old-school values and new-age edge. His right forearm bears a tattoo tribute to jazz great Billie Holiday.

Tattoos on his left forearm and biceps pay homage to slain hip-hop icon Tupac Shakur and honor both Johnson's grandfather and his father, Larry Johnson Sr., Penn State's defensive line coach.

Fullback Ronnie Cruz calls Johnson "The Hater" because the 6-1, 230 power back loves dealing more punishment than he receives.

"I run in a rage," Johnson says. "Most of the guys on this offense are older, and they don't really talk much. Sometimes I have to get them going, so I start trash talking. Anytime we get a TV timeout, I'm trash talking the other team because they never expect that from a running back. You expect that out of wide receivers because they don't get hit that much."

Fueled by Denver Broncos slights, Johnson ran for 140 yards and two touchdowns in a 31-27 win Dec. 4.

"(Linebacker) Al Wilson of the Broncos is the biggest trash talker who gets them going," Johnson says. "But in the fourth quarter, those guys weren't talking anymore. They were breathing heavy. And I was still trash talking."

He hopes to get Turley to join in.

"People are scared enough by all his tattoos," Johnson says. "I'm glad he's on my side, because in games, I'm going to get him talking, too."

Says Turley, who blocked for Deuce McAllister and Ricky Williams in New Orleans and Marshall Faulk and Steven Jackson in St. Louis:

"Larry reminds me of a combination of Deuce and Ricky with his speed and power and the great vision Marshall has. He has the talent to get 2,000 yards, and we have the talent on the offensive line to make that happen."

SNR
08-01-2006, 12:34 AM
I want to kick Donk ass in Denver this year :cuss:

Moooo
08-01-2006, 12:36 AM

That would be HUGE!!! Not to be a pessimist, but I never get mad at losing in Mile High, cause its so tough to win there...damn air! If they could pull it off, I'd be ecstatic!

Moooo

Logical
08-01-2006, 01:07 AM
Well give LJ a point for realistic goal setting. W/O Roaf 2000 wasn't likely in the cards anyway.

chefsos
08-01-2006, 01:30 AM
Well give LJ a point for realistic goal setting. W/O Roaf 2000 wasn't likely in the cards anyway.
LJ has been downplaying the 2K stuff for awhile now. I used to think he was saying the right things just because he thought they were the things people wanted to hear. Now, what I get from his quotes in this article, if you look past the simplicity of the "trash talking" focus, is that the guy is rapidly becoming a leader on this team. And it has nothing to do with how many yards he gains.

Logical
08-01-2006, 01:42 AM
LJ has been downplaying the 2K stuff for awhile now. I used to think he was saying the right things just because he thought they were the things people wanted to hear. Now, what I get from his quotes in this article, if you look past the simplicity of the "trash talking" focus, is that the guy is rapidly becoming a leader on this team. And it has nothing to do with how many yards he gains.

I really don't care if he leads or follows. I just know he needs to block as well as he runs.

Stinger
08-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Fueled by Denver Broncos slights, Johnson ran for 140 yards and two touchdowns in a 31-27 win Dec. 4.

"(Linebacker) Al Wilson of the Broncos is the biggest trash talker who gets them going," Johnson says. "But in the fourth quarter, those guys weren't talking anymore. They were breathing heavy. And I was still trash talking."

I am not usally one for trash talking but i think in this circumstance it is alright. :)

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 10:53 AM
I really don't care if he leads or follows. I just know he needs to block as well as he runs.

By all reports, he's spending a great deal of time working on his blocking and pass catching skills. Everybody says he looks even better this camp than he did last.

MOhillbilly
08-01-2006, 10:54 AM

have you seen this guy run????????

hypersensitiveZO6
08-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Larry is so modest.

BigChiefFan
08-01-2006, 11:05 AM
I saw an interview earlier and LJ was geared up for this upcoming season. He was bagging on Darren Woodson for calling the Chiefs out and LJ in particular. Woodson said something about Roaf being gone would totally disrupt the Chiefs this year and LJ wouldn't play very well. LJ said if he was there he would have told Woodson to shut the Hell up. LJ went on to say that he took offense to that because Black and Sampson are good players. He said they would miss Roaf, but he understood why Roaf may retire because Saunders called so many plays to the left that it wore out Roaf. LJ then stated having Black and Sampson should be beneficial and give the Chiefs more balance because teams won't know which way we are going to run. He said K.C. has been spoiled with the O-line through the years, but LJ knows he shouldn't expect perfect blocking on every play and he said he should always be able to get a few yards with or without blocking.

ct
08-01-2006, 11:10 AM
I saw an interview earlier and LJ was geared up for this upcoming season. He was bagging on Darren Woodson for calling the Chiefs out and LJ in particular. Woodson said something about Roaf being gone would totally disrupt the Chiefs this year and LJ wouldn't play very well. LJ said if he was there he would have told Woodson to shut the Hell up. LJ went on to say that he took offense to that because Black and Sampson are good players. He said they would miss Roaf, but he understood why Roaf may retire because Saunders called so many plays to the left that it wore out Roaf. LJ then stated having Black and Sampson should be beneficial and give the Chiefs more balance because teams won't know which way we are going to run. He said K.C. has been spoiled with the O-line through the years, but LJ knows he shouldn't expect perfect blocking on every play and he said he should always be able to get a few yards with or without blocking.

For those that bitch about LJ's "attitude", this is a good example of how it's a good thing right here!

MOhillbilly
08-01-2006, 11:21 AM
For those that bitch about LJ's "attitude", this is a good example of how it's a good thing right here!

a tude is a good thing as long as it motivates players to excel.

its when a tude clouds your thinking that it becomes a problem.

ChiefFripp
08-01-2006, 11:27 AM
The Chiefs need to start a winning streak against the Jackasses like they have against The Rai-duhs.

vailpass
08-01-2006, 11:56 AM

Sure ya' do.
I'd like to come out of Arrowhead with a win in December too.

jidar
08-01-2006, 11:57 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
LJ doesn't and has never had a god damned attitude. He's always said what was on his mind, and sometimes that isnt' what fans want to hear but it wasn't attitude.

Was he pissed about DV benching him? Yeah, and you know what he had a right to be. All that talent on the bench and nobody knew it but him, but otherwise, no attitude.

Truth is, he's done nothing but say good things about his teammates and especially the o-line since he's been here.

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 12:13 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
LJ doesn't and has never had a god damned attitude. He's always said what was on his mind, and sometimes that isnt' what fans want to hear but it wasn't attitude.

Was he pissed about DV benching him? Yeah, and you know what he had a right to be. All that talent on the bench and nobody knew it but him, but otherwise, no attitude.

Truth is, he's done nothing but say good things about his teammates and especially the o-line since he's been here.

Yep.

Reerun_KC
08-01-2006, 12:18 PM

"I told Larry that with being the guy, you're not going to touch the ball in practice 30 times," new Chiefs coach Herman Edwards says. "In a game, you're going to touch it 30 times. You get the ball in practice, you've got to finish; you've got to get yourself in condition to carry the ball that many times, especially in the fourth quarter. Per Herm "Clock Manangemnet" Edwards.

Why in the helll would you want to run your star into the ground? Makes no sense to me... Herm is all giddy about destorying a good offense in the name of MartyBall... I think he should worry more about balance than giving the rock to LJ 30 times a game.

Herm = joke (not a very funny one either)

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 12:20 PM

"I told Larry that with being the guy, you're not going to touch the ball in practice 30 times," new Chiefs coach Herman Edwards says. "In a game, you're going to touch it 30 times. You get the ball in practice, you've got to finish; you've got to get yourself in condition to carry the ball that many times, especially in the fourth quarter. Per Herm "Clock Manangemnet" Edwards.

Why in the helll would you want to run your star into the ground? Makes no sense to me... Herm is all giddy about destorying a good offense in the name of MartyBall... I think he should worry more about balance than giving the rock to LJ 30 times a game.

ROFL

You think Herm is gonna give LJ 30 carries every game, just to give him 30 carries. This ain't baseball.

Count Zarth
08-01-2006, 12:24 PM
I've been debating this with idiot Bronco fans. 30 carries x 16 games = 480 carries. That's ludicrous.

Curtis Martin's heaviest workload under Herm was 371 carries. That's 23.1 carries per game.

We're not going to run LJ into the ground. Derrick Ross is going to get some carries, or maybe we make the trade htismaqe has been hinting at.

Reerun_KC
08-01-2006, 12:24 PM
ROFL

You think Herm is gonna give LJ 30 carries every game, just to give him 30 carries. This ain't baseball.

What has made the offense so good has been the balance of run/pass. I am concerned that "Clock Manangement" is going to see he has a new toy and run it into the ground.

He took a good Jets team and left them in ruins when he left NYC. Just hope CP wont let that happen here.

JimNasium
08-01-2006, 12:28 PM

Did you watch any of the games last year after Priest was hurt? This isn't about Herm, it's about creating opportunities for the best player on the team.

Reerun_KC
08-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Did you watch any of the games last year after Priest was hurt? This isn't about Herm, it's about creating opportunities for the best player on the team.

I agree 100%. But you have to pass and open up the field to create those opportunties. Remember MartyBall? Run, Run, Run, Punt? That isnt creating opportunties for you best player. Being balanced and working the field by passing to set up the run and running to set up the pass. Pounding the rock every down, will never work.

I think I watched the games last year. I paid for the NFL sunday ticket and was in front of the TV for every game... I think?

KCTitus
08-01-2006, 12:31 PM
I've been debating this with idiot Bronco fans. 30 carries x 16 games = 480 carries. That's ludicrous.

Curtis Martin's heaviest workload under Herm was 371 carries. That's 23.1 carries per game.

We're not going to run LJ into the ground. Derrick Ross is going to get some carries, or maybe we make the trade htismaqe has been hinting at.

There's no need to be redundant...'idiot' is already implied when identifying them as Bronco fans.

JimNasium
08-01-2006, 12:37 PM
I agree 100%. But you have to pass and open up the field to create those opportunties. Remember MartyBall? Run, Run, Run, Punt? That isnt creating opportunties for you best player. Being balanced and working the field by passing to set up the run and running to set up the pass. Pounding the rock every down, will never work.

I think I watched the games last year. I paid for the NFL sunday ticket and was in front of the TV for every game... I think?
Herm hasn't even coached a game in KC yet. I might suggest relaxing a bit.

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 12:49 PM

We ran the ball 520 times last year, and passed the ball 507 times.

Here's Marty's years as head coach:

1989 - 559 rushing attempts, 435 passing attempts
1990 - 504 rushing attempts, 449 passing attempts
1991 - 521 rushing attempts, 479 passing attempts
1992 - 446 rushing attempts, 413 passing attempts
1993 - 445 rushing attempts, 490 passing attempts
1994 - 464 rushing attempts, 615 passing attempts
1995 - 507 rushing attempts, 531 passing attempts
1996 - 488 rushing attempts, 530 passing attempts
1997 - 529 rushing attempts, 493 passing attempts
1998 - 433 rushing attempts, 543 passing attempts

Once again, someone brings up "Martyball" without even knowing what Martyball is...

KCTitus
08-01-2006, 12:52 PM
...Once again, someone brings up "Martyball" without even knowing what Martyball is...

I thought it was ironic that yesterday evening I was listening to talk radio -- not sports talk -- just the local news radio talk show and the host brought up 'MartyBall'...while he didnt say Marty Ball-- he mentioned the basic philosophy of 'playing not to lose'.

I figure if some east coast news talk junkie can get it right, why cant the fans of the team he coached for 8 years?

Reerun_KC
08-01-2006, 01:04 PM
We ran the ball 520 times last year, and passed the ball 507 times.

Here's Marty's years as head coach:

1989 - 559 rushing attempts, 435 passing attempts
1990 - 504 rushing attempts, 449 passing attempts
1991 - 521 rushing attempts, 479 passing attempts
1992 - 446 rushing attempts, 413 passing attempts
1993 - 445 rushing attempts, 490 passing attempts
1995 - 507 rushing attempts, 531 passing attempts
1996 - 488 rushing attempts, 530 passing attempts
1997 - 529 rushing attempts, 493 passing attempts
1998 - 433 rushing attempts, 543 passing attempts

Once again, someone brings up "Martyball" without even knowing what Martyball is...

Nice job Mr Stat Guy... I would buy you a beer if you lived in OKC... Someone that has stats like that on demand has great skills! See Kiplin Dynamite.

Isnt MartyBall playing not to lose? When you have your foot on there throat, go ahead and let off, Cause we dont want to hurt the other coaches feelings?

Martyball = When the run is working, lets pass a whole bunch to keep them honest, instead of running it down there throat. When the pass is killing them, lets switch to the run and try to prove we can run. When the playoffs roll around, lets go into a conservative shell and panic.

Please explain to me what MartyBall is?

Inspector
08-01-2006, 01:05 PM
LJ is da man!

When I think about Vermeil's comments about diapers, it kinda pisses me off.

I cannot wait to see this guy crash through opposing defenses. Those are the good times.

DaKCMan AP
08-01-2006, 01:11 PM
LJ is da man!

When I think about Vermeil's comments about diapers, it kinda pisses me off.

I cannot wait to see this guy crash through opposing defenses. Those are the good times.

I just got my diapers off..although I'm warned it might not be for long.

Inspector
08-01-2006, 01:17 PM
I just got my diapers off..although I'm warned it might not be for long.

I've graduated to pull-ups myself.

I still get poddy on my legs sometimes though.

Nzoner
08-01-2006, 01:18 PM

That was the year with the classic MNF game against the donks when Montana had 50+ passes

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Nice job Mr Stat Guy... I would buy you a beer if you lived in OKC... Someone that has stats like that on demand has great skills! See Kiplin Dynamite.

Isnt MartyBall playing not to lose? When you have your foot on there throat, go ahead and let off, Cause we dont want to hurt the other coaches feelings?

Martyball = When the run is working, lets pass a whole bunch to keep them honest, instead of running it down there throat. When the pass is killing them, lets switch to the run and try to prove we can run. When the playoffs roll around, lets go into a conservative shell and panic.

Please explain to me what MartyBall is?

You obviously were able to go back and read other threads where people explained what Martyball is. That would explain you properly defining Martyball after saying this:

Remember MartyBall? Run, Run, Run, Punt?

As for your stat comments -- it sure sucks to get owned, doesn't it?

DaKCMan AP
08-01-2006, 01:20 PM
You obviously were able to go back and read other threads where people explained what Martyball is. That would explain you properly defining Martyball after saying this:

booyah?

MOhillbilly
08-01-2006, 01:21 PM
i like the run run run part.

keeps the D rested.

DaKCMan AP
08-01-2006, 01:23 PM
i like the run run run part.

keeps the D rested.

I like it too....when we have a 2-score lead in the 4th qtr.

Reerun_KC
08-01-2006, 01:27 PM

If I remember correctly the joke in the early 90's in KC was Black Person run right, run left, run up the middle, white boy punt ball..... Were you a fan back in the 90's or late 80's? I started watching and following Chiefs football in 1988... But then again your knowledge level is vastly superior to mine, so I might not have a clue to what I am talking about.

I was obviously able to go back and read others threads? Are you seriously basing your facts on that? Come on you more intelligent then that.

And yes I remember the days of Martyball when it was Run, Run, Run, and Punt. Remember Okoye, Word, and Harvey Williams. Didnít you ever play Super Temco Bowl on the NES? Geesh it was built using MartyBall.

Owned? No one owns me but my wife. Sorry Dude, but you cant fantasize about that anymore.

Reerun_KC
08-01-2006, 01:30 PM
booyah?

Stu is that you?

KCTitus
08-01-2006, 01:32 PM
That was the year with the classic MNF game against the donks when Montana had 50+ passes

Yep..I think it was 54 or 55. But that last completion was GOLD.

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 01:47 PM
If I remember correctly the joke in the early 90's in KC was Black Person run right, run left, run up the middle, white boy punt ball..... Were you a fan back in the 90's or late 80's? I started watching and following Chiefs football in 1988... But then again your knowledge level is vastly superior to mine, so I might not have a clue to what I am talking about.

I was obviously able to go back and read others threads? Are you seriously basing your facts on that? Come on you more intelligent then that.

And yes I remember the days of Martyball when it was Run, Run, Run, and Punt. Remember Okoye, Word, and Harvey Williams. Didnít you ever play Super Temco Bowl on the NES? Geesh it was built using MartyBall.

Owned? No one owns me but my wife. Sorry Dude, but you cant fantasize about that anymore.

Seriously, maybe you should quit now. You've got no facts to back up your opinion, so you've resorted to ridiculous innuendo, passive-aggressive Proctorisms, and Super Tecmo Bowl references.

Reerun_KC
08-01-2006, 01:48 PM
htismaqe?

where did you go? Come back and play! I was having fun with all the smack talk.

Okay I will apologize first and say I am sorry, I didnt mean to hurt your feelings. Come to OKC and I will buy you a beer.

Your friend,
Reerun_KC

Reerun_KC
08-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Seriously, maybe you should quit now. You've got no facts to back up your opinion, so you've resorted to ridiculous innuendo, passive-aggressive Proctorisms, and Super Tecmo Bowl references.

Just because I donít have the nerd power to sit in front of the computer and research stats from the years gone by, doesnít mean I should quit now. The Tecmo Bowl reference was funny. You know you played it. And you ran the ball enough to make Marty proud/jealous.

Okay you have to give a definition of Proctorisms? Are you making words up now? Even Microsoft Word 2003 couldnít find it! I couldnít even find it on websters.com.

WTF? Are you an English major?

DaKCMan AP
08-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Okay you have to give a definition of Proctorisms? Are you making words up now? Even Microsoft Word 2003 couldnít find it! I couldnít even find it on websters.com.

WTF? Are you an English major?

n00b

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 02:02 PM
I never take anything here personally dude. It's all about the argument.

Now that we've had a chance to hug, let's get back to the topic at hand.

------------

Did you or did you not suggest Herm was going to destroy our offense by running the ball too much (you referred to it as "Martyball") when compared to Al "Jesus" Saunders and his Blessed Balance?

The stats I posted are available at http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ and took me less than 3 minutes to compile. And they show DEFINITIVELY that Al Saunder's "balance" last year was much the same as Marty's "run,run,run,punt" offense that you hate so much.

Reerun_KC
08-01-2006, 02:03 PM
n00b

Your off the hook!

:clap:

MOhillbilly
08-01-2006, 02:05 PM
you guys are gonna totaly do it.

Inspector
08-01-2006, 02:07 PM
ROFL
Proctorism...

Perfect new Chiefsplanet adjective.

I gotta remember that. That was a perfect description too. Wonder if Reerun has a bronze star too???

KCTitus
08-01-2006, 02:08 PM

ROFL...

Proctor was a poster that lost his mind over Gunther Cunningham, said that Tony Richardson was a better runner than Priest Holmes and that DV's was going to destroy the Chiefs which were a 'prolific success' under Marty/Gunther.

Shortly after Gunther's firing, Proctor became a Redskins fan and a few years later a SD fan. Once Marty took a dump in the playoffs using vintage MartyBall, he melted down.

BTW, he's a combat veteran and likes pie.

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 02:08 PM

VALLEYhillbilly. For sure...

MOhillbilly
08-01-2006, 02:10 PM
fer sure

htismaqe
By the way, Proctor was well-known for his passive-aggressive behavior here. He'd make subtle jabs at Vermeil and then roll over and play victim when people took him to task.

I specifically referenced him in response to this line from Reerun...

But then again your knowledge level is vastly superior to mine, so I might not have a clue to what I am talking about.

htismaqe
fer sure

yah, like, totally...

Reerun_KC
08-01-2006, 02:35 PM
I never take anything here personally dude. It's all about the argument.

Now that we've had a chance to hug, let's get back to the topic at hand.

------------

Did you or did you not suggest Herm was going to destroy our offense by running the ball too much (you referred to it as "Martyball") when compared to Al "Jesus" Saunders and his Blessed Balance?

The stats I posted are available at http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ and took me less than 3 minutes to compile. And they show DEFINITIVELY that Al Saunder's "balance" last year was much the same as Marty's "run,run,run,punt" offense that you hate so much.

I dont take anything personally here either. Its all good and in fun.

Whoa, Al is not Jesus, Sometimes we all thought he wanted to be Jesus, but in reality he cost us some games. See Dallas last year. That is the only one sticking out in my mind right now. I thought he was way to cute, especially in the red zone.

I did like the attitude of the offense though, when it was working and we where stomping your a$$, they never let up.

Marty's run, run, run, punt, was very bland in its approach. I feel that his offense struggled at game day adjustments, much to the same as Edwards has previously in NYC. Yes I know he took teams to the playoffs and yes Vermeil won a Superbowl with St. Louise, but so did Marty, except for the superbowl part.

.[/QUOTE]"Did you or did you not suggest Herm was going to destroy our offense by running the ball too much (you referred to it as "Martyball") when compared to Al "Jesus" Saunders and his Blessed Balance?" .[/QUOTE]

Yes I feel that Herm "Clock Management" Edwards will tinker enough with the offense to keep it from being as sucessful as it has been. There are some things that need adjusted during the game. Like running the ball inside the 10 with LJ and our line. I understand that we have to make changes based on personel, but you can totally diregard, the other weapons we have on this team. Trent, Tony, I hate to say it, but Eddie K. We cant totally rely on LJ to be the team.

Point being, I think "clock manangment" is conserative enough that he will pull the reigns in to much and not allow these guys to be successful as they have been for his own fears of taking chances. IE Martyball.

Reerun_KC

Reerun_KC
08-01-2006, 02:36 PM
ROFL
Proctorism...

Perfect new Chiefsplanet adjective.

I gotta remember that. That was a perfect description too. Wonder if Reerun has a bronze star too???

No apparently I wasnt good enought to get a bronze star...

Reerun_KC
08-01-2006, 02:42 PM
ROFL...

Proctor was a poster that lost his mind over Gunther Cunningham, said that Tony Richardson was a better runner than Priest Holmes and that DV's was going to destroy the Chiefs which were a 'prolific success' under Marty/Gunther.

Shortly after Gunther's firing, Proctor became a Redskins fan and a few years later a SD fan. Once Marty took a dump in the playoffs using vintage MartyBall, he melted down.

Ah, gotcha, I guess if I wasnt such a nOOb then I would have know that.

Proctorisms. Very Nice, now I understand.

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Whoa, Al is not Jesus, Sometimes we all thought he wanted to be Jesus, but in reality he cost us some games. See Dallas last year. That is the only one sticking out in my mind right now. I thought he was way to cute, especially in the red zone.

Holy shiite! We agree on something. :D

Yes I feel that Herm "Clock Management" Edwards will tinker enough with the offense to keep it from being as sucessful as it has been. There are some things that need adjusted during the game. Like running the ball inside the 10 with LJ and our line. I understand that we have to make changes based on personel, but you can totally diregard, the other weapons we have on this team. Trent, Tony, I hate to say it, but Eddie K. We cant totally rely on LJ to be the team.

Define successful. You don't win games on style points in the NFL, and alot of times I felt like Al was trying to prove his genius rather than win games.

Point being, I think "clock manangment" is conserative enough that he will pull the reigns in to much and not allow these guys to be successful as they have been for his own fears of taking chances. IE Martyball.

Reerun_KC

Again, define successful. There's very little chance Herm will run the ball more than Saunders did over the last half of last season. It's just not statistically or realistically possible. Not only that, but conservative is NOT Martyball. Running LJ 30 times a game will have a FAR different result than letting Greg Hill get a 25-yard run only to bench him and run the fullback 10 times in a row.

JimNasium
08-01-2006, 02:59 PM
ROFL...

Mmmmmmm, pie......

Reerun_KC
08-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Holy shiite! We agree on something. :D

Define successful. You don't win games on style points in the NFL, and alot of times I felt like Al was trying to prove his genius rather than win games.

Again, define successful. There's very little chance Herm will run the ball more than Saunders did over the last half of last season. It's just not statistically or realistically possible. Not only that, but conservative is NOT Martyball. Running LJ 30 times a game will have a FAR different result than letting Greg Hill get a 25-yard run only to bench him and run the fullback 10 times in a row.

Will have to get back with you on this tomorrow or tonight. I have to leave to go fly...

Good conversation though.

Lzen
08-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Running LJ 30 times a game will have a FAR different result than letting Greg Hill get a 25-yard run only to bench him and run the fullback 10 times in a row.

:thumb:

MOhillbilly
08-01-2006, 03:14 PM
greg hill?

did he blow his knee out on a sweep against the oilers about 91-92ish rehab and do the same thing going to the opposite side???

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 03:22 PM
greg hill?

did he blow his knee out on a sweep against the oilers about 91-92ish rehab and do the same thing going to the opposite side???

He was drafted in 1994. He blew out his knee in college.

He broke his leg in like 1998 as a Ram after racking up like 400 yards in 2 games.

MOhillbilly
08-01-2006, 03:30 PM
He was drafted in 1994. He blew out his knee in college.

He broke his leg in like 1998 as a Ram after racking up like 400 yards in 2 games.

who the heck am i thinking of? sweep to the right at Arrowhead vs. the Oilers?????
came back a year or two later same play only to the left and blam.