PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Sizing up Turley not easy

dirk digler
08-01-2006, 07:50 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/15167758.htm

Sizing up Turley not easy
JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

RIVER FALLS, Wis. | So I show up at training camp Monday convinced that Kyle Turley will fail at left tackle because he’s not “athletic” enough.

Total stereotype, based solely on the complexion of Turley’s skin.

By lunch, I was embarrassed. Mike Solari, the Chiefs’ offensive-line guru/coordinator, laughed at me when I even raised the question of Turley’s athletic ability. Jared Allen, KC’s top defensive end, the man banging heads with Turley in camp, ribbed me for doubting a white player’s agility.

“He has great feet,” Allen told me after lunch.

I feel stupid. I try my best not to make those kinds of assumptions. But Monday morning, as I watched the Chiefs practice in 100-degree heat, I kept thinking everyone is concerned about the wrong thing when it comes to Turley replacing Willie Roaf.

Turley and the Chiefs seem to think he needs to pack on more weight.

Turley looks plenty big to me.

He’s tipping in around 280 pounds. When he was a star right tackle for the New Orleans Saints — before he suffered the back injury that sidelined him for the last two seasons — Turley weighed between 300 and 310 pounds.

Turley said, given his back problems, his ideal playing weight is 285-290. I disagree. And all Monday morning I kept thinking to myself: “If Kyle Turley is as athletic as Lomas Brown, the Chiefs won’t have a problem at left tackle as long as Turley’s back holds up.”

Brown was a 275-pound tackle for the Detroit Lions, and he specialized in opening holes for Barry Sanders and protecting the backside of whatever stiff the Lions lined up under center.

Left tackles don’t have to be big and overpowering. They have to be athletic, smart and confident. Right tackles need to plow straight ahead and bury defensive tackles and ends. Size and brute strength are extremely important attributes for right tackles.

The difference between right tackles and left tackles is like the difference between basketball power forwards and small forwards, Karl Malone and Dr. J.

Kansas City’s offense can function with Turley in Roaf’s spot. Will there be a drop-off in production at the position? No question. Roaf is a Hall of Famer who made a habit of swallowing Dwight Freeney. Roaf was the rare left tackle who was physical and big enough to excel as a right tackle, too.

But Turley, 30, can handle the job, if healthy. I feel so foolish doubting his athletic ability, even if it were just for a couple of hours. It seems silly in retrospect. Turley was trying to come back into the league as a tight end. He even thought about playing defensive end.

It’s impossible to play tight end or defensive end at the college level, let alone the NFL, without being a pretty good athlete.

Keeping his weight down would help Turley retain his athletic ability. And keeping his weight down is the best way for Turley to ensure that his back won’t suffer a relapse.

Now, if Turley’s back acts up, the Chiefs are in a world of hurt along their offensive line. Their next-best left tackle is probably Will Shields, the Hall of Fame right guard with his own back issues.

The Chiefs realize the situation is tenuous. Turley hasn’t played in two years. His back could begin troubling him at any time. I got nervous watching him stretch his back between drills.

“That was nothing,” he said. “My whole body feels beat up right now. We’re in training camp. It’s normal.”

And it’s probably normal that Chiefs players continue to telephone Willie Roaf in hopes of convincing him to return to the team. One player told me that just about all of the veterans have called Roaf this week.

“But he’s not answering his phone or returning calls,” the player said. “I left him a five-minute message just trying to tell him how Herm (Edwards) does things and how cool practices are.”

The Chiefs are praying that Roaf reconsiders. They might want to pray for Turley to keep his weight down, too.

DaKCMan AP
08-01-2006, 07:56 AM
What a poorly written article.

So, in the first couple of lines, JFat is admitting he is racist?

MOhillbilly
08-01-2006, 07:58 AM
the last couple paragraphs makes me think welbourne may still comeback.

PastorMikH
08-01-2006, 08:00 AM

Pretty much what it sounded like to me.

Cormac
08-01-2006, 08:06 AM
Why doesn't Whitlock retire suddenly?

Herzig
08-01-2006, 08:08 AM
What a poorly written article.

Everyone's just a little bit racist...anyone seen Avenue Q?

I find that many black people have a much bigger chip on their shoulders than whites.

BigChiefFan
08-01-2006, 08:10 AM
At least Whitlock admits SOME mistakes.

DaKCMan AP
08-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Everyone's just a little bit racist...anyone seen Avenue Q?

I find that many black people have a much bigger chip on their shoulders than whites.

Is that the play with the puppets? I have not seen it.

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 08:15 AM
At least Whitlock admits SOME mistakes.

And your point is?

jspchief
08-01-2006, 08:25 AM
So what would happen to a journalist that said he had doubts about Casey Printers' smarts due to the color of his skin?

jidar
08-01-2006, 08:36 AM
God, what a ****ing idiot.
Can someone at the Star please fire that ****er.

Lzen
08-01-2006, 08:45 AM
I love this line:

Roaf is a Hall of Famer who made a habit of swallowing Dwight Freeney.

Lzen
08-01-2006, 08:48 AM
So what would happen to a journalist that said he had doubts about Casey Printers' smarts due to the color of his skin?

You know what would happen. White people aren't allowed to have those kind of opinions. :rolleyes:

oldandslow
OK I lean to left, and I do feel that African Americans have had (and still have) a raw deal...

having said that, if a white columnist had written that about a black QB, he would have been fired.

Rush Limbaugh was fired for it.

This is wrong, wrong, wrong.

dirk digler

Black outrage

Herzig
Is that the play with the puppets? I have not seen it.

yep...here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT7xD-1H_Sw&search=avenue%20q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG3oGFvU8B8&search=avenue%20q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK32zWm10rY&search=avenue%20q

StcChief
08-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Whitlock: Sizing up Turley not easy

Sizing up Fatlock is easy... he's keeps proving he thinks black athletes are better. We won't go down the Jimmy the Greek road.

jspchief
08-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Black outrageHe'd be crucified shortly before he was drawn and quartered.

I don't really have a problem with the comment. What I do have a problem with is the double standard that allows someone like him to get away with stupid statements, while a white guy making a less offensive statement would get run out of the business.

dirk digler
08-01-2006, 09:06 AM
He'd be crucified shortly before he was drawn and quartered.

I don't really have a problem with the comment. What I do have a problem with is the double standard that allows someone like him to get away with stupid statements, while a white guy making a less offensive statement would get run out of the business.

I totally agree.

TrickyNicky
08-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Don't you know, because of White Guilt, reverse racism is allowed.

wutamess
08-01-2006, 09:19 AM
That's not a racists remark.
It's a stereotypical remark just as the no brians for black QB statement was.

I agree it is double standardish though.

morphius
08-01-2006, 09:20 AM
That's not a racists remark.
It's a stereotypical remark just as the no brians for black QB statement was.

I agree it is double standardish though.
One has to really keep an eye out on those black Brian's, they are the worst.

petegz28
08-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Ok so onto the point of the article it sounds liek Turley may be the saving grace. Replace Roaf? No! But do a "good enough" job to keep Trent standing up? Sounds like we will be ok.

Plus he knows this offense which is just a huge help. Invaluable help at this point.

MOhillbilly
08-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Ok so onto the point of the article it sounds liek Turley may be the saving grace. Replace Roaf? No! But do a "good enough" job to keep Trent standing up? Sounds like we will be ok.

Plus he knows this offense which is just a huge help. Invaluable help at this point.

LJs pass blocking.

Not a peep.

petegz28
08-01-2006, 09:33 AM
LJs pass blocking.

Not a peep.

I don't think his pass blocking will be quite the issue this year. One because he is getting more practice with it. Two I don't see us running a lot of deep pass routes this year thus reducing the amount of time Green has to hold the ball. Three he will be running the ball the majority of the time he is in there. And finally four every RB will get beat at times throughout the year. I can only really remember 1 time last year and that was vs. Dallas against Fujita. Think Fukita had something to prove that night?

Other than that Trent seemed to be standing up a lot at the end fo plays.

jspchief
08-01-2006, 09:35 AM
LJs pass blocking.

Not a peep.LJ admitted that he basically ignored pass blocking his first few years here (while pouting over playing time).

I'd say if there's still a good chance he can come around in that regard if he works at it.

Moooo
08-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Brown was a 275-pound tackle for the Detroit Lions, and he specialized in opening holes for Barry Sanders and protecting the backside of whatever stiff the Lions lined up under center.

Someone blocked for Sanders???

You learn something every day...

Moooo

GoHuge
08-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Black outrageSee Rush limbaugh/Donovan McNabb

Cochise
08-01-2006, 09:43 AM
NO WAY! KARL'S COLLOSIL FAILURES MEAN TURLEY SUXORS!!!!

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 10:07 AM
LJ admitted that he basically ignored pass blocking his first few years here (while pouting over playing time).

I'd say if there's still a good chance he can come around in that regard if he works at it.

Yep. He simply didn't work on it. Now he's working on it.

Frosty
08-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Now, if Turley’s back acts up, the Chiefs are in a world of hurt along their offensive line. Their next-best left tackle is probably Will Shields, the Hall of Fame right guard with his own back issues.

Apparently Svitek still fits the stereotype.

R&GHomer
08-01-2006, 11:38 AM

That's a retorical question right?

CoMoChief
08-01-2006, 12:02 PM
OK I lean to left, and I do feel that African Americans have had (and still have) a raw deal...

having said that, if a white columnist had written that about a black QB, he would have been fired.

Rush Limbaugh was fired for it.

This is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Even though thats true, Rush Limbaugh shouldnt have ever been on the ESPN football countdown anyways.

BIG_DADDY
08-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Even though thats true, Rush Limbaugh shouldnt have ever been on the ESPN football countdown anyways.

That's not the point.

Cochise
08-01-2006, 12:07 PM

Big deal. He said one of ESPN's prepackaged despite-how-well-they-perform megastars, wasn't that great. He was dead on if you ask me.

BIG_DADDY
08-01-2006, 12:09 PM
So Whitlock doesn't think crackas can be athletic? Interesting.

noa
08-01-2006, 01:18 PM
This is stupid. Plenty of the good offensive linemen in the NFL are white. If anything, he should discriminate based on size, not race.

Sure-Oz
08-01-2006, 01:22 PM
whitlock should show turley how its done, and not eating a buffet.

DaKCMan AP
08-01-2006, 01:24 PM
This is stupid. Plenty of the good offensive linemen in the NFL are white. If anything, he should discriminate based on size, not race.

Sizist!

KC Kings
08-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Whitlock wrote a story about this back when Nebraska got beat in Florida. He said that everybody was saying that Nebraska didn't have the "athletes", and athletes was a code word for brothers. I can't say that I disagree.

Baby Lee
08-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Whitlock wrote a story about this back when Nebraska got beat in Florida. He said that everybody was saying that Nebraska didn't have the "athletes", and athletes was a code word for brothers. I can't say that I disagree.
Ya see, the blick is dah bettah ath-ah-lete!!

CoMoChief
08-01-2006, 01:40 PM
That's not the point.

Like I said, even though thats true.......

Maybe you should learn how to read.

Rausch
08-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Sizing up Fatlock is easy... he's keeps proving he thinks black athletes are better.

Right now so do I.

That make me a cracka'basha?

KCTitus
08-01-2006, 01:42 PM
I dont find Jason's comments offensive or anything of the sort. I appreciate his candor and while Im typically a critic of some of his more inflammatory pieces, I found another piece which touches on white/black issues to be very refreshing.

He and I, at least on this issue, agree:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/15078079.htm

keg in kc
08-01-2006, 04:16 PM
I dont find Jason's comments offensive or anything of the sort. I appreciate his candor and while Im typically a critic of some of his more inflammatory pieces, I found another piece which touches on white/black issues to be very refreshing.

He and I, at least on this issue, agree:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/15078079.htmThat was an amazing column.