PDA

View Full Version : Tamba Hali, New U.S. Citizen

Cave Johnson
08-01-2006, 03:40 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9581279

RIVER FALLS, Wis. -- Do you know how many stars are on the U.S. flag? And what they stand for? Or who wrote the U.S. Constitution?

Kansas City Chiefs rookie Tamba Hali does.

The defensive end missed two grueling practices on Monday for what coaches agreed was a good reason. Hali flew to his home state of New Jersey and took the test to become a U.S. citizen.

A native of Liberia who fled that country's civil war 12 years ago at the age of 10, Hali wound up waiting about eight hours to go through the citizenship process because about 100 other people were doing the same thing.

"They called me up, I went inside, took the test, and passed it," he said. "I waited a couple of more hours and got sworn in and signed my certificate.

"I know I should have been like jumping for joy, but being there all day, I was so restless, I was happy to get it over with."

Hali joined his father in New Jersey when the civil war in Liberia was raging. He earned an American football scholarship to Penn State University and was drafted by the Chiefs in the first round last April.

The all-day wait was long, and he hated being away from practice, where he's fighting for a starting job.

"But it feels good," he said. "U.S. citizen. Equal rights. I can vote."

Being a citizen should also make it easier to move other family members to the United States. He hasn't seen his mother since his father brought him over.

Predictably, there was a lot of good-natured ribbing from teammates.

"Lionel Dalton was asking me if it expires because I wasn't born in the country. I said, `No, it's official,"' Hali said.

JimNasium
08-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Great news.

Cave Johnson
08-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Didn't the INS office know who he was? Waiting 8 hours in line, when he could be back in River Falls....

Bootlegged
08-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Tamba Hali rhymes with Come on Eileen.

BIG_DADDY
08-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Wonder what this means as far as getting his mother over here.

ChiefFan31
08-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Good Deal, and I do hope he can get his mother over here soon myself.

Coach
08-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Congratulations Hali.

CoMoChief
08-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Cool.

CosmicPal
08-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Do you know how many stars are on the U.S. flag?

Oh, I know. 48

And what they stand for?

How many stars there are in the sky

Or who wrote the U.S. Constitution?

Dr. Seuss

Geez, this is easy stuff.

Mecca
08-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I bet about 50% of our population in this country couldn't pass that test, and that's a generous estimate on my part.

Donger
08-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Becoming an American by choice, not birth, is an amazing moment. I hope that Tamba feels the same way.

Oh, and may he crush Jake Plummer into a pile of squishy trash, like any decent America would.

Ari Chi3fs
08-01-2006, 04:39 PM
COngrats Tamba... Do the Mamba.

Ultra Peanut
08-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Becoming an American by choice, not birth, is an amazing moment. I hope that Tamba feels the same way.Screw that. Yer damn inferior furriners.

Donger
08-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Screw that. Yer damn inferior furriners.

Yes, we are. The rest of you are lucky for that, too.

I'd love to be POTUS.

Cochise
08-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Got to respect someone who comes here and makes the effort to become a U.S. Citizen. Not only could so few natural-born Americans pass it, but so many people come here who don't go through the hoops they need to be 100% legal.

I hope this means his mom can get over here soon. As much money as he has, I hope she's in a safe place. Who knows in that war torn country if someone would try to hold her for ransom or something.

Donger
08-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Wow. I didn't know that Tamba wasn't a permanent resident. I wasn't aware that there was even a process from being just a visa holder to becoming naturalized.

Donger
08-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Most excellent. I hadn't heard this:

Making an early impression already in Chiefs camp, Tamba Hali has earned the nickname of "The Tamba Hawk" (a take on "Tomahawk"), and the starting position for defensive end.

mlyonsd
08-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Good. Ok Hali, you've now been given a green light to kill other Americans. Just remember the only ones in season are NFL QB's.

And not any that have the same colored hat as you.

TheChiefofSoCal
08-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the family Tamba.On a side note I wonder how many new citezens are in his tax brackett?

Donger
08-01-2006, 06:09 PM
On a side note I wonder how many new citezens are in his tax brackett?

More than one might think.

LocoChiefsFan
08-01-2006, 07:06 PM
I bet about 50% of our population in this country couldn't pass that test, and that's a generous estimate on my part.
I use to work beside a guy from El Salvador who was studying for his citizenship test. He was all the time asking me questions that he had read.I couldn't answer half of them. I felt pretty stupid.

Rausch
08-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Becoming an American by choice, not birth, is an amazing moment. I hope that Tamba feels the same way.

It's why America's great.

Unlike born Americans citizens these people APPRECIATE it...

Lonewolf Ed
08-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Great news.

Yes it is, and also it is a testimony to the type of country we have here. The American Dream yet lives! Should I also post this in Spanish?

milkman
08-01-2006, 07:51 PM

I believe you.

The game show "Street Smarts" dedicated an entire show to the question "How many states are there in the United States?"

The premise is only one every three people asked know the correct answer.

After seeing that, I found it difficult to believe that that many people didn't know.

One day on the route, I asked people I encounterd that question.

Of about twenty people I asked, only one answered correctly, and he was a naturalized citizen.

Donger
08-01-2006, 07:55 PM

I hope that's not true in most cases. But, personally, I resent a little bit that I can never be POTUS, even if I wanted to be.

I would crush you all under my British feet!!!

Oops! Was that out loud?

Logical
08-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Congrats to Tamba

Cochise
08-01-2006, 08:13 PM

No kidding. Heck, naturalized citizens might be more proud to be an American than most of the rest of us.