PDA

View Full Version : Eric Hicks

Moooo
08-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Okay, so I should start off saying I will never talk badly about a professional football player (or collegiate or high school for that matter). I may be critical, but not negative.

Saying that, I think Hicks will do a good job this year. I've stuck up for Hicks for some time now, saying he's a sufficient player who gets a lot of bad credit for being so little of what he once was (or could be). But I also don't think he needs a full-time starting job anymore. I did even a month a go, but I've finally come around.

But, with that, I think this may just be what Hicks needs. For years now, even with Jared Allen, we have looked to him to perform like a quality starter who will deliver for us. When he doesn't we get upset. Its obvious he can't give us double-digit sacks, and definitely not consistently. But, now that he's not the starter the pressure's off. He isn't supposed to be that person. We're gonna look at Tamba this next hear to get 8 sacks or so, and to get in the QB's face, not Hicks. This lack of responsibility, if I may say so, will result in a lack of pressure, which will result in a lack of nerves and stress.

I don't know Hicks. I've never met him, I've haven't even seen too many interviews with him. He could be as dumb as a rock. But I get the feeling from him he overthinks things, and if that's the case, this spot as a backup might just give him the freedom to compete at the level he has in the past.

Moooo, who is admitting he may be delusional

Count Zarth
08-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Hicks should have been playing second-string along time ago.

morphius
08-01-2006, 09:31 PM
He has been very consistent for us.

consistently invisible and completely selling out on the boot leg every single time.

I have given up on the guy, I just have.

Cochise
08-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Hopefully competition will make everyone better.

Moooo
08-01-2006, 09:36 PM
He has been very consistent for us.

consistently invisible and completely selling out on the boot leg every single time.

I have given up on the guy, I just have.

You can totally give up on him, as a starter

As a backup he may be sufficient. He doesn't show the talent necessary to be a starter, that doesn't mean he won't be a solid backup.

For example, I wouldn't want Aaron Brooks to start for the Chiefs, but if he was going to be a backup for us, I'd be very happy.He'd be an amazing 2nd string.

Moooo

ChiefaRoo
08-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Hicks can't change direction anymore. If he tries to move laterally while being blocked he gets pancaked most every time.

TRR
08-01-2006, 10:47 PM
I'd like to see Hicks add 25 pounds to his frame and play some DT. He just doesn't have the speed to play DE anymore. Bootlegs, sweeps, and getting to the QB isn't Hicks strength anymore. He can play the run, but that's only one dimension of what a DE is today.

KCChiefsFan88
08-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Hicks hasn't done shit since his 14 sack season 7 years ago

ChiefFan31
08-02-2006, 12:07 AM
Hicks should have been playing second-string along time ago.

Very True.

Eric Hicks being a full-time starter is more of a reflection on the utter lack of talent/good players we have had on the D line the last few years. Now a guy like Ryan Sims has all the talent, but has that equaled to him being a good player?

I dont think Hicks is a Bum and he does give good effort and is decent to solid against the run, but he is just not good enough and has been that way for some time.

I like the way the situation is shaping up. Tamba Hali possibly being the starter and definitely earning plenty of playing time with Hicks spelling relief for him and not the other way around. Also, with Hicks serving as a mentor for Hali

luv
08-02-2006, 12:15 AM
As a backup he may be sufficient. He doesn't show the talent necessary to be a starter, that doesn't mean he won't be a solid backup.

Moooo
Don't you want backups to be nearly as good asstarters though? I mean, who's gonna play the position if the starter is down for sometime? The backup, right?

greg63
08-02-2006, 12:26 AM
Don't you want backups to be nearly as good asstarters though? I mean, who's gonna play the position if the starter is down for sometime? The backup, right?

Yup; that is the definition of a backup; someone who you can count on to play in the absence of the starter. IMO.

Guru
08-02-2006, 12:28 AM

What is an asstarters anyway? :hmmm: ROFL

luv
08-02-2006, 12:30 AM
What is an asstarters anyway? :hmmm: ROFL
Could be ass tarters?

Guru
08-02-2006, 12:31 AM
Could be ass tarters?

Must be something from Long John Silvers. :)

greg63
08-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Must be something from Long John Silvers. :)

ROFL

McDonalds. Be careful that cofee is hot.

Guru
08-02-2006, 12:34 AM
ROFL

McDonalds.

Would you like ass tarter sauce with that?

greg63
08-02-2006, 12:40 AM
Would you like ass tarter sauce with that?

ROFL

I was reading it more like a hick town accent to taters.

el borracho
08-02-2006, 02:28 AM
Hicks is terrible. He has always been terrible and should have been released years ago. Hicks is a big part of the Chiefs losing in the last 6 years.

I'm tempted to neg-rep you just for creating this crappy thread about that loser.