PDA

View Full Version : What's the strangest thing you eat?

Fried Meat Ball!
08-02-2006, 07:07 AM
So the ketchup thread immediately got me thinking there would be some people here that put ketchup on a lot of weird shit. So then I thought that everybody has something that they eat that the people around them go, "Oh, sick, dude. That's gross."

So what do you eat that others consider weird. I'll start: bologna nachos. I know, weird, but they're good. Quarter a slice of bologna (I like Oscar Meyer beef bologna) and put the slices on tortilla chips and stick it in the microwave till hot. After four years with the wife I finally got her to just try one and she said they're pretty good. She still thinks they're weird, but at least she admits they're not NEARLY as bad as they sound.

Your turn.

JBucc
08-02-2006, 07:08 AM
dog poo

oaklandhater
08-02-2006, 07:08 AM
oreos and peanut butter :)

Fried Meat Ball!
08-02-2006, 07:09 AM
oreos and peanut butter :)
Yep, that qualifies.

oaklandhater
08-02-2006, 07:12 AM
I also like to dip In@out french frys In there Vanilla milkshake.

JBucc
08-02-2006, 07:13 AM
I also like to dip In@out french frys In there Vanilla milkshake.I like to shove them in the straw and suck them up

oaklandhater
08-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Almost forgot any one here ever put zucchini on there pizza ?

Saulbadguy
08-02-2006, 07:19 AM
Eel.

jspchief
08-02-2006, 07:20 AM
Tuna in Ramen noodles.

Haven't done it in years, but it used to be a staple of my diet.

oaklandhater
08-02-2006, 07:21 AM
Eel.

I order Eel every time I go to a sushi Bar.

Donger
08-02-2006, 07:23 AM
Marmite on toast.

oaklandhater
08-02-2006, 07:25 AM
Marmite on toast.

I pity you......

Donger
08-02-2006, 07:26 AM
I pity you......

I take it out of the jar first.

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 07:27 AM
I juice the tops of organic beets in my juicer.
Slices of raw organic sweet potato...it's actually very sweet and delicious.

Zuccini on pizza sounds great! Any veggie does to me.

Lzen
08-02-2006, 07:30 AM
Almost forgot any one here ever put zucchini on there pizza ?

That doesn't sound too bad.

As for me, I like peanut butter and banana sandwich. I also have to have peanut butter and syrup on my pancakes.

My cousin used to eat a radish sandwich. It was 2 slices of bread with butter and radish slices in the middle.

oaklandhater
08-02-2006, 07:32 AM
That doesn't sound too bad.

As for me, I like peanut butter and banana sandwich. I also have to have peanut butter and syrup on my pancakes.

My cousin used to eat a radish sandwich. It was 2 slices of bread with butter and radish slices in the middle.

When i was a kid my mom use to make frozen peanut butter and banana sandwichs.

Rain Man
08-02-2006, 07:33 AM
Marmite on toast.

Do you only do it to induce vomiting?

I was in Australia once, and tried some Vege-Mite on my toast at breakfast. (Truthfully, a bit too much - I thought it was like jam.) I kid you not - for the rest of that day, all I had to do was think about that toast and my gag reflex would kick in.

Rain Man
08-02-2006, 07:34 AM
I don't think I eat anything weird. I pretty much eat all my food straight from the factory.

Tatertot13
08-02-2006, 07:35 AM
I dip potato chips in mustard

Donger
08-02-2006, 07:35 AM
Do you only do it to induce vomiting?

I was in Australia once, and tried some Vege-Mite on my toast at breakfast. (Truthfully, a bit too much - I thought it was like jam.) I kid you not - for the rest of that day, all I had to do was think about that toast and my gag reflex would kick in.

Vege-Mite is nasty. It doesn't taste like Marmite at all.

But, if you use too much of either, yes, it can be a bit overpowering.

That being said, it did make my son gag when he tried it. My daughter, however, loves it. The wife and the boy just look at us when we eat it.

oaklandhater
08-02-2006, 07:39 AM
For any one who wanted to try Zucchini Pizza this is the same recipe I use

http://barbeque.allrecipes.com/AZ/GrilldZcchiniPizz.asp

KCTitus
08-02-2006, 07:40 AM
In college, I used to eat Doritos with brownies...something about the sweet and salty combo I liked.

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 07:43 AM
For any one who wanted to try Zucchini Pizza this is the same recipe I use

http://barbeque.allrecipes.com/AZ/GrilldZcchiniPizz.asp

Thank you. To clarify, I thought you meant a regular pizza with zuccini on top.
Other than that have you ever had a barbecued pizza?

Tatertot13
08-02-2006, 07:49 AM
In college, I used to eat Doritos with brownies...something about the sweet and salty combo I liked.

Yeah, I mix M&M's with popcorn. Can't beat the sweet and salty together.

StcChief
08-02-2006, 07:49 AM
Thank you. To clarify, I thought you meant a regular pizza with zuccini on top.
Other than that have you ever had a barbecued pizza?

BBQ Chicken pizza is different.

Really like Buffalo Chicken chunks and Jalepenos on pizza.

Local creation.

Braincase
08-02-2006, 07:50 AM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! SOMEBODY KILL THIS THREAD BEFORE GOCHIEFS GETS HERE!

ck_IN
08-02-2006, 07:51 AM
<i>oreos and peanut butter</i>

Nothing weird about that! I love to break them apart, eat the white middle, spread the P butter and put the halves back together.

As for the topic, I consider my wife pretty strange but I don't think that's what you mean.

Per my wife my Mexican eggs are weird. That's hard fried eggs with salsa and melted Jack cheese over them. I also love pineapple and pepperoni piza.

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 07:53 AM
BBQ Chicken pizza is different.

Really like Buffalo Chicken chunks and Jalepenos on pizza.

Local creation.

I'm talkin' 'bout grillin' it right on the barbe—any kind of pizza too.

JBucc
08-02-2006, 07:53 AM
Per my wife my Mexican eggs are weird. That's hard fried eggs with salsa and melted Jack cheese over them.that sounds pretty good

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 07:55 AM
[QUOTE=ck_IN]Per my wife my Mexican eggs are weird. That's hard fried eggs with salsa and melted Jack cheese over them.[QUOTE]
I love those.

StcChief
08-02-2006, 07:56 AM
I'm talkin' 'bout grillin' it right on the barbe—any kind of pizza too.

Never tried to BBQ grill a pizza. The Zuke pizza sounds very good.
Grilled Vege Pizza...

ck_IN
08-02-2006, 07:58 AM
They are good Jbuc especially if the salsa has a bite.

Glad to hear it Buceye. My wfie is fairly convinced its something I came up with in a alchol induced state. That or its an excuse to exercise my Mexican food obsession.

Rain Man
08-02-2006, 07:59 AM
Vege-Mite is nasty. It doesn't taste like Marmite at all.

But, if you use too much of either, yes, it can be a bit overpowering.

That being said, it did make my son gag when he tried it. My daughter, however, loves it. The wife and the boy just look at us when we eat it.

Oh. I thought Marmite was just the British brand name for Vege-Mite. No?

Donger
08-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Oh. I thought Marmite was just the British brand name for Vege-Mite. No?

No, not really. It's the same 'food' type, I suppose, but it tastes quite different.

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 08:08 AM
They are good Jbuc especially if the salsa has a bite.

Glad to hear it Buceye. My wfie is fairly convinced its something I came up with in a alchol induced state. That or its an excuse to exercise my Mexican food obsession.
I probably woulda' thought the same at one point in time, if an American just
served it. But I had a Venezuelan couple as friends years ago who served it once and it was delicious. Haven't had it since, unfortunately.

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 08:21 AM
As for me, I like peanut butter and banana sandwich.
They had a banana flavored peanut butter, made by Kraft.I loved this stuff as a kid, and cried when it was discontinued.
Then when my mom put me on natural foods, I got natural peanut butter on homemade whole wheat, and banana. That was a pretty good replacement.

Bootlegged
08-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Bison.

cdcox
08-02-2006, 08:25 AM
I like cookies and beer.

I used to make this recipie of the macaroni and cheese box called "Western Supper". It was Kraft macaroni and cheese, hot dogs, canned tomatos, mustard and pickle relish. That sounds pretty tastey all of the sudden.

I don't mind the vegemite/marmite. I was told it was a love it or hate it kind of deal, but for me it fell squarely in the middle.

StcChief
08-02-2006, 08:26 AM
Fried Rattesnake and fried Gator chunks (tastes like pork) at Taste of Houston years ago.

Bootlegged
08-02-2006, 08:27 AM
Fries/Mayo. Pulp Fiction got nothin' on me.

Baconeater
08-02-2006, 08:39 AM
SPAM. I love that stuff. I'll dice it up and put it in an omelette, make SPAM pigs in a blanket, or even eat it just straight out of the can.

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 08:39 AM
The strangest thing I can think of that I have an occasional insatiable jones for;

Doogh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doogh)

Try explaining to people that there is this salty yogurt drink that is very refreshing without being saddled with teh ghey.

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 08:42 AM
SPAM. I love that stuff. I'll dice it up and put it in an omelette, make SPAM pigs in a blanket, or even eat it just straight out of the can.
http://www.ciadvertising.org/sa/fall_04/adv391k/rms4290/spamskit.jpg
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam!!!!

KCTitus
08-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Try explaining to people that there is this salty yogurt drink...

salty yogurt drink? It isnt off white by chance is it?

MOhillbilly
08-02-2006, 08:46 AM
i really like smoked cow tongue sandwiches.
Broiled beef heart.
Hard to find these days less you do em yourself.

Baconeater
08-02-2006, 08:50 AM
http://www.ciadvertising.org/sa/fall_04/adv391k/rms4290/spamskit.jpg
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam!!!!
Hormel Foods Inc. requests that when referring to SPAM® Brand Luncheon Meat that you use all capital letters.

Smed1065
08-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Is Clems still open on 23rd street? They use to have fried brain sandwiches there with pickle and horseradish.

ck_IN
08-02-2006, 08:51 AM
<i>I probably woulda' thought the same at one point in time, if an American just
served it. But I had a Venezuelan couple as friends years ago who served it once and it was delicious. Haven't had it since, unfortunately.</i>

Well I'm quite American but I must've been Hispanic in a previous life. That's the only way to explain my love of Mexican food.

So get in that kitchen woman and rattle some pans. It's just fried eggs, salsa and jack cheese. I make it most Sunday mornings in about ten minutes. When I'm really ambitious I'll microwave some tortillas and dust 'em with cinimmon (sp?) sugar to have in place of toast.

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 08:52 AM
And it appears I have failed again . . . [sigh] ROFL ROFL

RockChalk
08-02-2006, 08:59 AM
I put maple syrup on my biscuits and gravy. For some reason, this grosses people out. I mean some people seem truly offended. My family has always had biscuits and gravy this way, and I believe it is quite tasty

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 09:00 AM
That's the only way to explain my love of Mexican food.
I absolutely LOVE Mexican food too...probably my number one favorite (Thai and Greek come after)!

So get in that kitchen woman and rattle some pans. It's just fried eggs, salsa and jack cheese. I make it most Sunday mornings in about ten minutes. When I'm really ambitious I'll microwave some tortillas and dust 'em with cinimmon (sp?) sugar to have in place of toast.

If I recall, I think I did make one attempt a few years ago, and seemed to not taste as good as hers.:shrug:

Her salsa was made from scratch as was her black beans she served with it. Musta' been some family secret recipe. Hers was the best I ever had.

I plan on makin' empanadas later this week though, after all my deadlines at work are met.

Thanks for the quick tip on cinn/sugar dusting a tortilla...great idea!

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Okay, all you mid-westernahs' (<----Bostonian)!
What's with the disgusting-lookin' chicken-fried steak fiasco y'all (<---southern) love to eat? :hmmm:
That's gotta' be the strangest thing evah' anyone could eat, imho.

RockChalk
08-02-2006, 09:07 AM
What's with the disgusting-lookin' chicken-fried steak fiasco y'all (<---southern) love to eat? :hmmm:

You don't like chicken-fried steak?

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 09:07 AM
It's effing delicious, that's what.
Mix the time tested sawmill gravy that makes biscuits and gravy so delicious, with crispy fried-chicken coating and tenderized steak. Yummy.
If there were no health and fitness considerations, I think I could drink sawmill gravy like it was gatorade.

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 09:10 AM
How weird is plopping canned cranberry sauce on top of your stuffing/dressing, before bathing it all in turkey gravy at Thanksgiving dinner?
My family finds it odd, but I've found a lot of support among friends and acquaintances.

KCTitus
08-02-2006, 09:10 AM
It's effing delicious, that's what.
Mix the time tested sawmill gravy that makes biscuits and gravy so delicious, with crispy fried-chicken coating and tenderized steak. Yummy.
If there were no health and fitness considerations, I think I could drink sawmill gravy like it was gatorade.

No kidding...that was a staple back in the day.

chasedude
08-02-2006, 09:12 AM
Turkey Fries!!! (Turkey Balls for you lay people) I Love em' They're pretty rich tasting so don't eat to many at once!

RockChalk
Chicken fried steak may be one of my favorite meals. Anyone ever been to Bob's Diner in Manhattan? They have a breakfast meal called The Big Country...it's chicken fried steak the size of your face smother in gravy, biscuits, fried eggs, sausage. Now it's not the most healthy meal around, but it cures a hangover quickly. I of course smother it is syrup as well, which offended the waitress quite a bit last time I visited.

Bootlegged
boiled fisheads.

Frosty
08-02-2006, 09:14 AM
I like guacamole and sour cream on my eggs - don't know if that qualifies as weird.

When I ate sandwiches, I like peanut butter and onion.

I like to dip fries in tarter sauce, but I don't that is that unusual.

Iowanian
08-02-2006, 09:17 AM

You gonna warm that shake up for BL?

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Chicken fried steak may be one of my favorite meals. Anyone ever been to Bob's Diner in Manhattan? They have a breakfast meal called The Big Country...it's chicken fried steak the size of your face smother in gravy, biscuits, fried eggs, sausage. Now it's not the most healthy meal around, but it cures a hangover quickly. I of course smother it is syrup as well, which offended the waitress quite a bit last time I visited.
The local IHOP has a Chicken Fried Steak griddle.
Start with new potatoes quartered, roasted with onion and mushroom.
Sprinkle shredded cheddar over that
plop the CFS on top of that
Egg over easy next
top it all off with gravy.

Ummm, . . . gotta go . . .

Lonewolf Ed
08-02-2006, 09:20 AM
I had bobcat sausage once.

Rain Man
08-02-2006, 09:24 AM

Chicken-fried steak with white gravy is one of the best meals ever, especially when you can dip french fries in the gravy.

SquirrellyBastard
08-02-2006, 09:30 AM

Ah yes, The Big Country from Bob's Diner. That brings back some college memories.

ChiefButthurt
08-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Chunky peanut butter on crackers or bread with hot peppers. The hot peppers are not on the crackers or sandwich but on the side. Also they have to be pepperchinis. :p :p

ChiefButthurt
08-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Chicken-fried steak with white gravy is one of the best meals ever, especially when you can dip french fries in the gravy.

I like scooping Wendy's fries in a Wendy's frosty. :p

RockChalk
08-02-2006, 09:40 AM
I like scooping Wendy's fries in a Wendy's frosty. :p

Used to do that myself in my Mari-jey-wanna smoking days

RockChalk
08-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Ah yes, The Big Country from Bob's Diner. That brings back some college memories.

I went to KU, but I must say that Bob's Diner is one thing Manhattan has on LTown

chagrin
08-02-2006, 09:43 AM
We;re talking werid food right? Too many good food posts on here.

Anyway, Only thing I can think of is sometimes I like to put yellow mustard on bread, and crumble lays potato chips on there, and eat it - came from when I was totally broke a few years back, ever since I still eat that here and there.

Dude I worked with at Citibank eats Peanut butter and Cheetos sandwiches for lunch, he loves it.

But since I mentioned good food, it made me think of that pizza you mentioned earlier.

I make a buffalo chicken pizza, with a mixture of blue cheese dressing and buffalo sauce as the pizza sauce, and top it with chicken that's been cooked and covered with buffalo sauce, and top it with whole milk mozz, and fresh parm or some other stinky cheese, of course I use my own dough that I make (it's like a sourdopugh) totally kick ass, dude.

greg63
08-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Campbell’s tomato soup with sugar/sweetener in it.

CosmicPal
08-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Live goldfish

ChiefaRoo
08-02-2006, 09:51 AM
When I was in China once I ate fried scorpions. They were about the size of a quarter. Looked like little fried animal crackers.

chagrin
08-02-2006, 09:52 AM
I eat p*ssy - they're kinda weird looking

Predarat
08-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Fries with sour cream/chives

Frazod
08-02-2006, 09:55 AM
I don't do either of these any more, but when I was a kid, I ate peanut butter & mayonaise sandwiches. I also liked the taste of aspirin, and would chew up the pills rather than just swallow them.

Now the oddest thing I eat semi-regularly is probably eel (sushi). I tend to eat foods of many different cuisines (Thai, Indian, Japanese) but the ingredients are unremarkable.

Weirdest thing I've ever eaten - a lamb brain, on a bet. It was disgusting - tasted like bad pate with brine in it. Yuck. I got my $20, though.

Rain Man
08-02-2006, 10:04 AM
I like that Ethiopian food where you get the really spongy bread and use it to pick up globs of chick peas and meat. That's not weird in Ethiopia, though.

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 10:07 AM
How weird is plopping canned cranberry sauce on top of your stuffing/dressing, before bathing it all in turkey gravy at Thanksgiving dinner?
My family finds it odd, but I've found a lot of support among friends and acquaintances.

I don't do that. But I DO love cranberry sauce with turkey... I am allergic to bread stuffing anyways.

But I do LOVE leftover cold turkey sammiches with mayo and cranberry sauce together plus romaine lettuce though. Ummmm...scrumptious!!!

NE is the cranberry capital of the US what with Ocean Spray being there and all. I used to do work for them...that must be it!

Gettin' back to this chicken-fried-steak fiasco...sorry but just lookin' at it gets my gag reflex goin'. I found mid-western food to be ratha' bland in general.

Rain Man
08-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Gettin' back to this chicken-fried-steak fiasco...sorry but just lookin' at it gets my gag reflex goin'. I found mid-western food to be ratha' bland in general.

I agree that it looks bad before you first try it. But after you've had it once, then any other viewings will make you salivate. Chicken fried steak is one of those foods that is worth going to war over. I'll let the terrorists have France, but if they try to ban chicken fried steak, it's on.

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 10:15 AM
I agree that it looks bad before you first try it. But after you've had it once, then any other viewings will make you salivate. Chicken fried steak is one of those foods that is worth going to war over. I'll let the terrorists have France, but if they try to ban chicken fried steak, it's on.
ROFL

MichaelH
08-02-2006, 10:17 AM
I've eaten beaver balls at a game dinner. No, not actually their nutz but ground beaver meat made into meatballs and served with pasta. Also, I've eaten many kinds of wild game that would seem a bit wierd to city folk.

My favorite "normal" snack is to take uncooked white rice, cover it with worchestershire sauce and tabasco and put cubed cheese on it. Yummy!

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 10:20 AM
I had cold fish livers as an appetizer in Greece at a family home. It was soooo disgustingly bad I excused my self from the table, went their bathroom and spit it out. Somehow they knew. I musta' turned white or somethun.' I was just tryin' to be polite by tryin' it.

SCTrojan
08-02-2006, 10:20 AM
I don't know if any of this qualifies as strange, but...

I like eating over-easy eggs on rice for breakfast.

I also wrap rice in nori for a quick snack - it's what my family called sushi when I was growing up.

My wife thinks it's weird that I still regularly eat ramen.

Ever since my Germany days, I've liked artichoke on my pizza.

Ceej
08-02-2006, 10:23 AM
This isn't toooo weird, but I'll eat jalapenos on about anything.

I also enjoy putting chips in my sandwich.

Frosty
08-02-2006, 10:25 AM

Chicken-fried steak is only cubed round steak in a light batter.

From Alton Brown in Good Eats :
SCENE 13
The Kitchen
So, here we go again, with another two pounds of beef bottom round, trimmed of excess fat, and cut into half-inch steaks. After the initial seasoning and dredging, and of course, needling, we’ll go back into flour, knock off the excess, then into three whole eggs, lightly beaten. Be sure to handle the meat by the corner, so you don’t get club hand. After the egg, we’ll go with another layer of flour. That’s going to help to create a nice, thick, chicken fried steak exterior.
After the steaks are done, move them to a wire rack, and allow them to sit for at least ten or fifteen minutes before cooking.
Place a ten to twelve inch, sloped-sided fry pan over medium-high heat, and apply just enough oil, or bacon drippings, to barely barely cover the pan in a thin film. Now you’ll notice that have switched over from the Dutch oven, and that’s because, well, one, we’re not making a stew this time, so we might as well have a little more real estate to work in, but the main reason is that we will be building a gravy, and this type of pan is far more whisk-friendly. Let’s introduce the meat to the heat.
Again, we do not want to crowd the pan, but we don’t want to waste time or energy either. Always place the rounded part of the meat towards the rounded part of the pan. If I do this right, I should be able to get three pieces in here. I’ve got a small one. There we go. Now these are going to cook for about four minutes per side. In the meantime, you want to make sure that you have a waiting place for these to sit. I’ve got a wire cooling rack over a half sheet pan.

Smoked paprika is made by drying ripe peppers in adobe smokehouses; gently heated by slow-burning oak wood.

SCENE 14
The Kitchen
As each batch of your steaks finish up, you want to stash them, just on a wire rack, set on a sheet pan, in a 250 degree oven, to keep them nice and cozy. [In a faux German accent] Now we build ze gravy.
For that, we will require some starch, and we just happen to have some here. We also need a whisk, which we’ve also got. So, this pan will go back over, let’s say, medium heat, and we’ll add a little bit more vegetable oil. Not enough to coat, just, eh, maybe a tablespoon will do, and I’m going to add three tablespoons of flour, left over from the dredging process. Just kind of sprinkle it around the pan. One, two, three. If it’s not exact, that’s okay. And whisk.
Why the whisking? Because we want every single little grain of flour to be covered with fat, so that there won’t be any clumping when the liquid enters the pan. Speaking of, we have two cups of chicken broth, and just whisk until this comes just to a boil, and it will thicken up very nicely indeed.
Why? Well, because that’s what starch does. [approaches a bunch of cans, suspended with springs compressed inside them, to represent starch granules] I mean, we suspended all those little flour granules in fat, right, so that they’re evenly distributed now through the broth. And as the broth gets hotter, these little guys will all of a sudden open up, delivering their starchy payload all through the liquid. Ha ha ha ha. And of course, what does that do? Well, all these little tangles form a mesh, to trap liquid. Thus, we have gravy. [notices that he has gone a little over the top] Sorry.

SCENE 14
The Refrigerator
Chicken fried steak won’t be chicken fried steak if it doesn’t have a white gravy on it. White gravy means dairy. The question is, which one?
We have some heavy cream here. Nice, but not for this kind of gravy, because it’ll separate – become greasy before it even gets to the table. Half-and-half doesn’t have as much fat, but it’s still a little too much. It’ll overwhelm the subtle peppery flavor that we are going to have. Skim milk, too far in the other direction. It’s basically just, you know, white water So, the ideal suggestion: one-half cup of good old fashioned whole milk. You just can’t beat it for saw mill gravy.
As soon as the stock begins to thicken up – broth, rather [samples with his finger], and it has, we’ll add half a cup of that milk, and continue to whisk while adding in about a teaspoon, or, we’ll say, half a teaspoon of fresh thyme, and continue over medium heat until this coats the back of a spoon.
There. We’ll check, and it coats the back of a spoon very very nicely. How does it taste? [tastes] Could use a little salt, and a whole lot more pepper. We’ll say, a good heavy pinch of kosher, and we’ll say, about five good grinds – ah, what the heck, we’ll make it ten good grinds of pepper. That should do the trick.
Now that, my friends, is cubed steak taken to its highest possible elevation. Ahh, chewy on the inside, a little crusty on the outside, all smothered in a peppery creamy gravy. Yep, there’s only one thing missing from this picture. [camera pans out to show a mug of beer]. Correction. Life’s complete! Ha ha ha!

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season10/cubesteak/cubesteaktran.htm

el borracho
08-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Your mom on a bed of rice.

Frazod
08-02-2006, 10:47 AM
I like that Ethiopian food where you get the really spongy bread and use it to pick up globs of chick peas and meat. That's not weird in Ethiopia, though.

Yeah, I like that, too. There's a great place in Wrigleyville that I go to occasionally. But again, the ingredients aren't all that strange; just the way they're prepared.

Rain Man
08-02-2006, 10:49 AM
I ate crocodile once. It sounded exotic, but it didn't really taste exotic. Kind of like reptile chicken.

greg63
08-02-2006, 10:50 AM
I don't do either of these any more, but when I was a kid, I ate peanut butter & mayonaise sandwiches. I also liked the taste of aspirin, and would chew up the pills rather than just swallow them.

Now the oddest thing I eat semi-regularly is probably eel (sushi). I tend to eat foods of many different cuisines (Thai, Indian, Japanese) but the ingredients are unremarkable.

Weirdest thing I've ever eaten - a lamb brain, on a bet. It was disgusting - tasted like bad pate with brine in it. Yuck. I got my $20, though.

A friend of mine once convinced me to eat fried squirrel brains. :doh!:

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 10:53 AM
I ate crocodile once. It sounded exotic, but it didn't really taste exotic. Kind of like reptile chicken.

Me too...or rather alligator in Cajun cun'try around Nawlins!
But it was in a piquant sauce. Heard these have 8 different types of meat on them. You musta' had the chicken tastin' part...mine tasted more like veal.
:)

Frazod
08-02-2006, 10:53 AM

At least it would be smaller than lambs brains. That ended up being four very nasty bites. Ewww.

:Lin:

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 10:54 AM
At least it would be smaller than lambs brains. That ended up being four very nasty bites. Ewww.

Dontcha' mean "ewe?"
ROFL

greg63
08-02-2006, 10:55 AM

I once tried a komodo dragon at an exclusive underground restaurant designed to serve endangered species to the super rich.

...Was that wrong????

greg63
08-02-2006, 10:57 AM

True, plus he fried them up with scrambled eggs so the taste was less noticeable.

Frazod
08-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Dontcha' mean "ewe?"
ROFL

groan :doh!:

ROFL

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Cool!!!

Next time you say something stoopid, and we of the planet ask if squirrels ate your brains, you can proudly reply "no, but I ate theirs!!!"

greg63
08-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Cool!!!

Next time you say something stoopid, and we of the planet ask if squirrels ate your brains, you can proudly reply "no, but I ate theirs!!!"

...I'll keep that in mind and then ask what your excuse is.

plbrdude
08-02-2006, 11:18 AM
maybe not so strange, but penutbutter and cheese sammiches are purty tasty

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 11:18 AM
...I'll keep that in mind and then ask what your excuse is.
Lighten up Francis.
Everyone says something stupid
And when we do, the rest of the planet asks 'did squirrels eat your brains?'

Wasn't trying to bust on you personally.

Sheesh!!

greg63
08-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Lighten up Francis.
Everyone says something stupid
And when we do, the rest of the planet asks 'did squirrels eat your brains?'

Wasn't trying to bust on you personally.

Sheesh!!

ROFLROFL

All in good fun.

plbrdude
08-02-2006, 11:19 AM
I once tried a komodo dragon at an exclusive underground restaurant designed to serve endangered species to the super rich.

...Was that wrong????

don't know abouit wrong, but now i know where to go ifn i need a loan.

Donger
08-02-2006, 11:20 AM
I ate an octopus once in Spain. I was pretty young (about 6) but I remember those crazy Spaniards bringing out these huge cooked tentacles with the suckers still attached. You basically just attacked and ate the part of the tentacle in front of you.

Frazod
08-02-2006, 11:23 AM
I had octupus once. It sucked. I don't know if it just wasn't prepared correctly or not, but it was like eating rubber. I'll never try it again, that's for damn sure. Yuck.

greg63
08-02-2006, 11:24 AM
don't know abouit wrong, but now i know where to go ifn i need a loan.

ROFLROFL

Where? Please tell me.

Donger
08-02-2006, 11:24 AM
I had octupus once. It sucked. I don't know if it just wasn't prepared correctly or not, but it was like eating rubber. I'll never try it again, that's for damn sure. Yuck.

Yes, it was pretty chewy. Kind of like big chunks of calamari.

greg63
08-02-2006, 11:28 AM

You weren't eating the tentacles were you? ROFL

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Another pun? You are punny.

I think octopus tastes great...musta been cooked wrong...very easy to overdo any kinda fish ya' know.

Rain Man
08-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Octopus is too chewy for me. I don't want to work that hard.

ck_IN
08-02-2006, 11:36 AM
I've tried Octopus too. Nasty, nasty stuff. The Chinese person I went with was loving it. I looked up once while we were eating and she had a tentacle half sticking out of her mouth. I had to push the plate away immediately.

I've had croc and kangaroo while I was in Austrailia. The croc tasted like chicken to me as well. The 'roo was somewhere between pork and veal.

How can you call yourself American and NOT like chicken fried steak?!!! That and tenderloins are the sterotypical American food or at least midwestern. If you don't like it Buceye it probably means you haven't tried it. Order some, close your eyes and take a bite. You'll love it. I prefer mine with tobasco mixed in the gravy but that's a preference thing.

donkhater
08-02-2006, 12:12 PM
When I was a kid I used to make a toast in a toaster oven with velveeta cheese on one of the slices. When they were toasted and the cheese melted, I spread peanut butter on the other slice and slapped them together. It was awesome. I think I would puke today if I had to eat it now, though.

I weirdest thing I eat now is mayo with my fries. I hate ketchup. Sometimes, if I have fries with fish, I'll eat the fries with a splash of vinegar on them. It ain't bad.

Athis
08-02-2006, 12:13 PM
There was a place that Katrina washed away that sold real Hog's Head Cheese and real blood sausage. That stuff is illegal to sell , but so good. The Blood Sausage is great with eggs and toast. The HH cheese is just awesome by itself. They would use the whole hogs head, lips.. facial muscle..brain. Use the brain fluid mix everything up add some spices put the stuff back in the head and cool it. Fresh for sale in about two to three days.

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 12:16 PM
How can you call yourself American and NOT like chicken fried steak?!!!

Well, it is American for sure...from the heart of America more so I'd say!
I just nevah heard of it back east or evah had there...or here for that mattah!

But I do like apple pie. :)

patteeu
08-02-2006, 12:22 PM
I don't eat weird things much. I love the SPAM and I eat corned beef hash with eggs mixed in, but I don't really think those are weird.

I had tripe once but didn't really like it. It's the poor man's chicken fried steak. I much prefer the rich or middle class man's chicken fried steak.

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't eat weird things much. I love the SPAM and I eat corned beef hash with eggs mixed in, but I don't really think those are weird.

I had tripe once but didn't really like it. It's the poor man's chicken fried steak. I much prefer the rich or middle class man's chicken fried steak.

Didn't you say you were Italian?! What on earth is Italian about that food palette? :p

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 12:26 PM
There was a place that Katrina washed away that sold real Hog's Head Cheese and real blood sausage. That stuff is illegal to sell , but so good. The Blood Sausage is great with eggs and toast. The HH cheese is just awesome by itself. They would use the whole hogs head, lips.. facial muscle..brain. Use the brain fluid mix everything up add some spices put the stuff back in the head and cool it. Fresh for sale in about two to three days.
How long has it been 'illegal?'
Because my grandparents used to always had spicy head cheese on hand, and they picked it up at the local market in West Monroe.
MoF, the best part of leaving when we visited would by the stack of spicy head cheese sammiches and the big jug of tea grandma sent with us to tide us over on the way home to KC.

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 12:29 PM
I eat corned beef hash . . .
A weird preparation I've had foisted on me [and I think I've mentioned this before]. My mom was a good cook, but she didn't know nuttin' about canned corn beef hash. Had no idea that your supposed to cook it until it's crispy. So she'd heat it up like a can of soup, until it was just warm and serve it up as a side dish.

Athis
08-02-2006, 12:37 PM
This stuff was the real deal. The stuff they sell in the stores is made with knox gelatin and not with brain fluid and in the head of the hog. Good but not as great.

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 12:40 PM
How long has it been 'illegal?'
Because my grandparents used to always had spicy head cheese on hand, and they picked it up at the local market in West Monroe.
MoF, the best part of leaving when we visited would by the stack of spicy head cheese sammiches and the big jug of tea grandma sent with us to tide us over on the way home to KC.
OMG this board needs a throwing up smiley.
Head cheese? :shake:
You've got to be of English or Scottish origin. I always wondered why they had such disgusting food names like: head chesse, blood pudding or kidney pie. :)

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Leave it to a Buc fan not to know about Lin Eliot
Once you get past how it's made, it's my favorite 'luncheon meat' aside from P&P loaf.
You've got to be of English or Scottish origin. I always wondered why they had such disgusting food names like: head chesse, blood pudding or kidney pie. :)
Ironically, on my dad's side I am. But they'd never serve head cheese in a million years.
The 'head cheese' side of the family is my mom's, a bunch'a Louisiana born and bred Cherokees.

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Leave it to a Buc fan not to know about Lin Eliot

Huh?! What's that got to do with strange food?
Anyhow, I've only started watchin' football 3.5 years ago.
I use to hate it...that is until I understood the game.

P&P loaf.
What's this?

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Huh?! What's that got to do with strange food?
Anyhow, I've only started watchin' football 3.5 years ago.
I use to hate it...that is until I understood the game.
type Lin, except with ':' before and after.
What's this?
Pickle and Pimento.

ck_IN
08-02-2006, 12:59 PM
BucEyedPea, those cajun types will eat just about anything that swims, flies, walks, or crawls. I'm cajun on my dad's side so I have an apprecriation for some of those 'interesting' types of food.

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 01:04 PM
This stuff was the real deal. The stuff they sell in the stores is made with knox gelatin and not with brain fluid and in the head of the hog. Good but not as great.
Where do you think gelatin comes from?
The gelatin in the stuff my grandparents bought was from the simmering process.
I know what you're thinking of, that HC/Sause that is heavily processed and sold in delis across the nation. But even then;
I don't think it's necessarily made with Knox, and
That's not what I was talking about, either.

listopencil
08-02-2006, 01:09 PM
I put jalapeno peppers on my mashed potatoes and gravy. I put them on everything I can. It's a sickness. I can't stop.

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 01:10 PM
type Lin, except with ':' before and after.

Get's me nuthin'! I am on Mac and not everything will come up as for a PC!

Pickle and Pimento.
Thanx.

dtebbe
08-02-2006, 01:11 PM

Cracker Barrel (aka the Barrel of Crack) has pretty killer chicken fried steak. My favorite meal there is Chicken Fried steak covered with sawmill (white) gravy, mashed potatos covered with sawmill gravy, green beans, and fried okra. I call it "heart attack on a plate" but damn it's good!

DT

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 01:11 PM
I put jalapeno peppers on my mashed potatoes and gravy. I put them on everything I can. It's a sickness. I can't stop.

Even on top of your head? ROFL

KcMizzou
08-02-2006, 01:19 PM
I'm the same way. Well, not on mashed potatoes and gravy, but on lots of things.

I like to put them on sandwiches in place of pickles.

listopencil
08-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Cracker Barrel (aka the Barrel of Crack) has pretty killer chicken fried steak. My favorite meal there is Chicken Fried steak covered with sawmill (white) gravy, mashed potatos covered with sawmill gravy, green beans, and fried okra. I call it "heart attack on a plate" but damn it's good!

DT

Throw some jalapeno peppers on top and it's good to go.

listopencil
08-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Even on top of your head? ROFL

Only when I miss my mouth. I'm a pretty messy eater.

listopencil
08-02-2006, 01:34 PM

Yep. The cafeteria where I work serves it once a week with mashed potatoes and green beans. I go with double mashed potatoes instead of the green beans, white gravy and jalapeno peppers over it all.

patteeu
08-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Didn't you say you were Italian?! What on earth is Italian about that food palette? :p

LOL, when you were talking about liking Mexican, Thai and Greek, I was thinking the same thing.

I like Italian, but this was a thread about weird food and the Italian I like isn't weird at all. I do like Mexican, Thai and Greek too.

patteeu
08-02-2006, 03:17 PM
A weird preparation I've had foisted on me [and I think I've mentioned this before]. My mom was a good cook, but she didn't know nuttin' about canned corn beef hash. Had no idea that your supposed to cook it until it's crispy. So she'd heat it up like a can of soup, until it was just warm and serve it up as a side dish.

Yuck. I like it crispy. I'm not too fond of "raw" SPAM either.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Like this? :Lin:

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 03:22 PM

DT
Mine is just a little better. Meatloaf, Tater/gravy, side salad, and turnip greens.

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Like this? :Lin:
Oh well I guess I missed it. I tend to post as fast as possible when I am working. Now I am late. Thanks though.

Donger
08-02-2006, 03:24 PM

You haven't lived until you've had a good Shepard's/Fisherman's or Steak and Kidney Pie. I was raised on that stuff.

That and Ribena.

I'm surprised I've lived this long.

ChiefButthurt
08-02-2006, 03:26 PM
I've got one....

Cook some bow tie pasta and drain, add about 1/2 stick of melted butter, enough cottage cheese to cover the pasta, add onions or just onion powder and ground pepper. That's some good stuff. You need fried tuna patties to go with the meal. You'll never be the same. :p :p

Rain Man
08-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Something that seems a little weird at first, but is quite tasty is tuna melt. I was very suspicious of it at first, but am a big fan.

BIG_DADDY
08-02-2006, 03:38 PM
I don't think it's weird but I'll bet some of you will. Deep fried shrimp heads.

Uni

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 03:45 PM
That and Ribena.
Ribena's fairly tasty, but EFFING expensive for what's essentially glorified Kool-Aid.
I think it was 5.99 for a 24-30 oz bottle [of course it's then diluted].
Probably an importation/demand thing.

stevieray
08-02-2006, 03:51 PM
homegrown cherry tomatoes with greek seasoning, ranch dressing and topped with parmesan cheese.

Nzoner
08-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Don't know how strange it is but I do love frog legs if they're prepared the right way.

My mrs on the other hand likes to cut up hot dogs and fry them with potatoes,in 20 years she has yet to convince me to try it.

BIG_DADDY
08-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Don't know how strange it is but I do love frog legs if they're prepared the right way.

My mrs on the other hand likes to cut up hot dogs and fry them with potatoes,in 20 years she has yet to convince me to try it.

Frog legs are good. Just a little too spendy for what they are.

CosmicPal
08-02-2006, 04:11 PM

I've always wondered: What do they do with the rest of the frog?

Nzoner
08-02-2006, 04:25 PM
I've always wondered: What do they do with the rest of the frog?

http://diasquevoam.blogspot.com/Frog_Legs.jpg

R&GHomer
08-02-2006, 06:14 PM
I've had frog legs and Craw fish. Not to bad. There was this bar just out side of fort Polk that would have "all you can eat craw fish" with 75 cent drafts. Suck my Head, pinch my tail, eat me, eat me. LOL... gawd I hated Louisiana, but some of the food was pretty good.

I can't believe no one loves this tasty little meal

Haggis

1 sheep's stomach, cleaned & scraped
1 sheep's heart
2 lb. sheep's liver
3 lb. sheep's lungs
1 c. pearl barley
2 c. coarse oatmeal
2 garlic cloves
Salt & pepper
1 lb. onions

Take the stomach and turn it inside out. Boil the lungs and heart for 6 hours and just 15 minutes before you're through add the liver. Boil the barley until soft. Chop the onions and finely chop the cooked meat.

Mix all the ingredients and add some of the juice the meat was boiled in. Fill the stomach with this mixture. Tie both ends with string and drop it in nearly boiling water, or steam for 1 1/2 hours. Serve hot with mashed turnips and potatoes. This can be made in a bowl if a sheep's stomach is not available. Pig's offal can be used instead of sheep's. Proceed in the same way.

Donger
08-02-2006, 06:19 PM
I've had frog legs and Craw fish. Not to bad. There was this bar just out side of fort Polk that would have "all you can eat craw fish" with 75 cent drafts. Suck my Head, pinch my tail, eat me, eat me. LOL... gawd I hated Louisiana, but some of the food was pretty good.

I can't believe no one loves this tasty little meal

Haggis

1 sheep's stomach, cleaned & scraped
1 sheep's heart
2 lb. sheep's liver
3 lb. sheep's lungs
1 c. pearl barley
2 c. coarse oatmeal
2 garlic cloves
Salt & pepper
1 lb. onions

Take the stomach and turn it inside out. Boil the lungs and heart for 6 hours and just 15 minutes before you're through add the liver. Boil the barley until soft. Chop the onions and finely chop the cooked meat.

Mix all the ingredients and add some of the juice the meat was boiled in. Fill the stomach with this mixture. Tie both ends with string and drop it in nearly boiling water, or steam for 1 1/2 hours. Serve hot with mashed turnips and potatoes. This can be made in a bowl if a sheep's stomach is not available. Pig's offal can be used instead of sheep's. Proceed in the same way.

Haggis isn't that bad. In fact, like most food in the UK, it's rather bland.

R&GHomer
08-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Haggis isn't that bad. In fact, like most food in the UK, it's rather bland.

:Lin: Are you kidding? I think I'd rather eat the ass end out of a menstruating skunk with a yeast infection.

HemiEd
08-02-2006, 06:27 PM
I ate a $9.00 hamburger at the Toronto airport today that had to be 95% Soy Meal. Yek!

I love jalepeno peppers on about anything as well.

R&GHomer
08-02-2006, 06:31 PM
I ate a $9.00 hamburger at the Toronto airport today that had to be 95% Soy Meal. Yek!

I love jalepeno peppers on about anything as well.

Ahhh, the toronto airport. I had a flight delayed out of that airport and ended up spending almost $150 in drinks.

Iowanian
08-02-2006, 06:43 PM
:Lin: Are you kidding? I think I'd rather eat the ass end out of a menstruating skunk with a yeast infection.

Ironically.....thats what I was about to post as the strangest thing I eat.

HemiEd
08-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Ahhh, the toronto airport. I had a flight delayed out of that airport and ended up spending almost $150 in drinks.

Wow, you musta been thirsty! ROFL Fortunately my flight was right on time and arrived a little early.

ENDelt260
08-02-2006, 06:57 PM
I once ate a bowl of mayonaisse, squid, freeze-dried cockroaches, and chocolate syrup.

VonneMarie
08-02-2006, 06:58 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

ChiefButthurt
08-02-2006, 07:00 PM
homegrown cherry tomatoes with greek seasoning, ranch dressing and topped with parmesan cheese.

Thats not weird...thats just good.

tiptap
08-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Chinese octopus, 1000 year old eggs, poached egg in orange juice and all those different snail things and smelly cheese found only in the middle of France.

R&GHomer
08-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Ironically.....thats what I was about to post as the strangest thing I eat.

Tangy?

R&GHomer
08-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Wow, you musta been thirsty! ROFL Fortunately my flight was right on time and arrived a little early.

Not really.... Just bored

munkey
08-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Ketchup and Cucumbers

greg63
08-02-2006, 10:57 PM
http://diasquevoam.blogspot.com/Frog_Legs.jpg

ROFLROFLROFL

I love that cartoon.