PDA

View Full Version : I'm going out on a limb. Willie Roaf will start opening day

Mr. Flopnuts
08-02-2006, 10:51 AM
I know people are getting sick of talking about this. I can't help myself here though. I just saw Herm on Cold Pizza and he gave that coy smile when asked about Willie the same way he did about Law before we signed him. Almost like it was a foregone conclusion. I think I've found out Herm's "tell" in poker. We'll see if he lasts the year, but I'm confident he'll start against the Bengals.

mlyonsd
08-02-2006, 10:52 AM
You're not going out on a limb unless you offer to buy us each a beer if you're wrong.

StcChief
08-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Keep everyone...including Roaf wondering what's up.

Rain Man
I'll raise you ten.

the Talking Can
Grunhard said he thought Roaf would come back...said he though some players would talk to him...

but he sounded mentally retired when I heard his interview...not getting my hopes up

luv
08-02-2006, 10:55 AM
I thought Roaf retired? How can he play if he retired?

ChiefsfaninPA
08-02-2006, 10:56 AM
You can go out on that limb, hopefully not too many people will follow you, because the weight of that will cause it to break. But seriously, I hope he does reconsider. With all of these players giving him a call I beleive that will sway him more than CP or Herm calling him.

ChiefsfaninPA
I thought Roaf retired? How can he play if he retired?

I don't beleive he filed the paperwork yet.

Frazod
It's nice to able to tell when the coach is lying.

So, with Herm it's when he's smiling.

With Dick, it was when his mouth was open and words were coming out.

penguinz
08-02-2006, 10:59 AM
I don't beleive he filed the paperwork yet.
Even if the paperwork is filed you can still come out of retirement.

Mr. Flopnuts
You're not going out on a limb unless you offer to buy us each a beer if you're wrong.

I'd offer, but we both know it would never happen and I don't want to be called Christian Okoye Jr. This thread will be readily available the next time I make these bold, stupid predictions.

Baby Lee
but he sounded mentally retired when I heard his interview...
I'm sticking with my assessment that he was more tired of arguing with his wife about "being around for the kids" and "going back to school," etc., than steely resolved to leave the game.

Not that that makes any difference regarding whether he comes bck or not.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-02-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm sticking with my assessment that he was more tired of arguing with his wife about "being around for the kids" and "going back to school," etc., than steely resolved to leave the game.

Not that that makes any difference regarding whether he comes bck or not.

If that's the case come September he'll head to KC and send the Mrs. down to the Joe Horn residence.

Raiderhater58
08-02-2006, 11:02 AM
I think it all boils down to Big Willie is getting a free pass for most of training camp. Its hot he's a big boy, a veteran pro bowler, and him, Herm and King Carl have come to some sort of agreement under the table that he's going to sit out most of camp. I look for Willie to "come out of retirement" somewhere between the 3rd and 4th pre-season game.

Rausch
08-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Not gonna' happen...

luv
08-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Even if the paperwork is filed you can still come out of retirement.
Weren't Roaf and Shields both considering retirement at the end of last season? Whatever happened with Shields?

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Weren't Roaf and Shields both considering retirement at the end of last season? Whatever happened with Shields?
She got post-partum depression and Tom Cruise attacked her on national TV.

Rausch
08-02-2006, 11:07 AM
ROFL

luv
08-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Okay. I'm guessing I got a name wrong. Figures. Never mind.

Tribal Warfare
08-02-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm going out on a limb. Willie Roaf will start opening day

:bong:

pass it around man don't be a bogart

StcChief
08-02-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm going out on a limb he may come out of retirement by mid season if Chiefs are doing bad at LT and really feels like it.

Baby Lee
08-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Okay. I'm guessing I got a name wrong. Figures. Never mind.
Sorry, just having fun.
Yes, Roaf was considering retirement late IN the season. And [WILL, not Brooke] Shields was considering retirement for some time.
But the O-line ended the season great, and Roaf was jazzed and he wanted to get LJ 2K yards this year, and he talked Shields into not retiring.
Roaf continued to be jazzed and continued to feel great until he tweaked his hammy in OTAs.
So between the middle of May and the first day of TC, we knew Roaf was recuperating, but were operating on his last quotes where felt he was rip-rarin' to go.
Then he announced his retirement, day 1 of TC.
Shields is presently practicing at TC, but is a little miffed that the guy who talked him out of retiring, turned around and retired on him.
He, along with bunches of other players, trainers, and coaches are trying hard to contact Roaf, and change his mind, but they haven't gotten through to talk with him.

My mistake was assuming everyone else on here was paying as much attention as I.

Darien25
08-02-2006, 11:18 AM
My kids and I went to several of the autograph signings after the morning practice and we asked many of the players about Willie's sudden retirement and everyone, without exception, thought that he would be back on the team before very long. The common theme was that he did not want to go through camp and would rejoin them after it was over. I don't know if this info is right or wrong but they all seemed pretty confident in telling it to me. Gonzo, Tynes and Dee brown were just a few of the players I posed this question to.

ct
08-02-2006, 11:35 AM
My kids and I went to several of the autograph signings after the morning practice and we asked many of the players about Willie's sudden retirement and everyone, without exception, thought that he would be back on the team before very long. The common theme was that he did not want to go through camp and would rejoin them after it was over. I don't know if this info is right or wrong but they all seemed pretty confident in telling it to me. Gonzo, Tynes and Dee brown were just a few of the players I posed this question to.

This is either extremely encouraging, in that the players may know the true scoop, or extrememly discouraging, in that the players are in as big a state of denial as the rest of us Chiefs fans. What are they gonna do, how will they truly react if/when it's painfully apparent he's gone for good?

RedThat
08-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I think Roaf will come back.

He has to.

He can't go out like this. Look at this team? It has the ability to be something special. If he wants to win a SB, he won't get a better opportunity than now.

Stryker
08-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I believe that too. Count me in...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9582257

Roaf retires? Maybe not
Willie Roaf is the starting left tackle for the Chiefs. He announced his retirement the other day and I believe he wants to come back, just not yet.

Roaf retires to avoid camp in Wisconsin, avoid a $14,000 a day fine and lower the risk of injury by not getting into situations like what LeCharles Bentley did at practice last week. A few weeks from now when the team is back in Kansas City, he could easily return to a Chiefs uniform -- maybe.

He could stay away, but why didn't the Chiefs sign Adam Meadows to a contract before he inked a three-year deal with Denver? Is Herm Edwards treating Roaf the same way he treated Ty Law last year in New York when Law skipped camp and showed up in time to pick off 10 passes? Why did Roaf tell Will Shields that the new offensive line coach is an excellent coach, especially to long-time veterans. Shields decided to play again thanks to Roaf and now he wonders when Roaf will return. It's only a hunch, but I think it's Aug. 9.

greg63
08-02-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm going out on a limb. Willie Roaf will start opening day

Buying into the King Carl hype are we?

Mr. Flopnuts
08-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Buying into the King Carl hype are we?

Not in this case. However to his credit, he hasn't given me a reason not to believe it this off season.

greg63
08-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Not in this case. However to his credit, he hasn't given me a reason not to believe it this off season.

I'd like nothing more myself, but just don't believe it to be happening.

milkman
08-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Just to add more fuel to the Roaf speculation

K.C. Chiefs Training Camp Daily Updates

In a press conference this morning, Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced the acquisition of running back Michael Bennett from the New Orleans Saints. Because the Saints signed running back Reggie Bush, the Saints exchanged Bennett for a Chiefs 2007 undisclosed draft choice.

Peterson said that Bennett will upgrade the quality and depth of the football team. "As a former No. 1 draft choice he brings quality and experience to the Chiefs and he is still a young running back. Michael has had a 1,000-yard rushing season and has been to a Pro Bowl. He will be utilized to back up Larry Johnson and be involved in our group of running backs as soon as he arrives in camp."

Peterson said that running back Priest Holmes is still on physically unable to perform list. Holmes visited the doctor last week and has still not been cleared for contact. If Holmes does recover from his injury in time for the season, Peterson said that Holmes will be welcomed back to the Chiefs.

Peterson also discussed the status of tackle Willie Roaf, whose retirement was announced on Saturday. Peterson said that he is scheduled to meet with Roaf's agent this week and he is leaving the door open for his return at any time.

Rain Man
08-02-2006, 12:12 PM

Wow. That's interesting news.

Rain Man
08-02-2006, 12:15 PM
His salary of $3.5 million is enough that, if he put it in the bank after taxes, it would produce roughly $60,000 to $80,000 a year in income for him forever. It seems like that would be hard to walk away from, though at the same time you want to be able to walk when you're 50.

Rain Man
08-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Do you think Roaf would come back if Herm promised him the opportunity to play quarterback for a few series? Maybe he's just frustrated that he never gets to play quarterback.

bobbything
08-02-2006, 12:17 PM
When I heard his interview with KK, I honestly didn't think he was really going to retire. The second Kietzman suggested that once his papers are filed, he's done, Roaf immediately jumped in and said, "No no no. You can unretire at any time."

All of this is too fishy. The way in which he left. Not returning phone calls and the such. I really think he'll be back to practice and ready to go by the last pre-season game.

JMHO.

ct
08-02-2006, 12:23 PM
I have to say, that I imagine the OrangeMane crowd getting quite a kick out of all this drama. I certainly would if this were a Plummer/Cutler QB drama, or something comparable.

Well, the whole Oakland HC search was quite amusing, as is the Jerry Porter/Art Shell fued. Frankly, Ashley Lelie just doesn't build the drama like Willie Roaf...

Sure-Oz
08-02-2006, 12:23 PM
I'm not counting on it.

KcMizzou
08-02-2006, 12:24 PM
When I heard his interview with KK, I honestly didn't think he was really going to retire. The second Kietzman suggested that once his papers are filed, he's done, Roaf immediately jumped in and said, "No no no. You can unretire at any time." I heard that too. I can't think of a reason to even say that, if it isn't a consideration.

ROYC75
08-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Do you think Roaf would come back if Herm promised him the opportunity to play quarterback for a few series? Maybe he's just frustrated that he never gets to play quarterback.

I can always count on you for a laugh !
ROFL

Rausch
08-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Sorry, just having fun.
Yes, Roaf was considering retirement late IN the season. And [WILL, not Brooke] Shields was considering retirement for some time.
But the O-line ended the season great, and Roaf was jazzed and he wanted to get LJ 2K yards this year, and he talked Shields into not retiring.
Roaf continued to be jazzed and continued to feel great until he tweaked his hammy in OTAs.
So between the middle of May and the first day of TC, we knew Roaf was recuperating, but were operating on his last quotes where felt he was rip-rarin' to go.
Shields is presently practicing at TC, but is a little miffed that the guy who talked him out of retiring, turned around and retired on him.
He, along with bunches of other players, trainers, and coaches are trying hard to contact Roaf, and change his mind, but they haven't gotten through to talk with him.

My mistake was assuming everyone else on here was paying as much attention as I.

Didn't they also rework his contract recently?

I can't remember if it gave him more money or would make the cap hit easier if he did retire... :hmmm:

ChiefFan31
08-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Sorry, just having fun.

You got it pretty well covered :thumb:

I dont expect anything, but will hold on to a glimmer of hope that he will return at the end of camp. However, I am focused on moving forward and not being depressed about big Willie's decision anymore.

FringeNC
08-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Question: Can the Chiefs allow him to miss practice without the fine kicking in, or is the fine cut and dry NFL rules? This could all be Carl Peterson's doing to prevent the Chiefs or Roaf from having to pay a few hundred thousand in fines.

If so, knowing Carl, it'll bite the Chiefs on the ass, and Lamar will have to pay big fine for circumventing the rules.

After reading a few of the comments info on the thread here it's at least 50/50 he's coming back.

sedated
08-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Didn't they also rework his contract recently?

I can't remember if it gave him more money or would make the cap hit easier if he did retire... :hmmm:

a radio station reported that they had re-done his deal, but Carl denied it, and the NFLPA web site didn't show any change

sedated
08-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Question: Can the Chiefs allow him to miss practice without the fine kicking in, or is the fine cut and dry NFL rules?

the fines are optional, up to the team - can fine up to $14, 000 per day.

most franchises fine the maximum.

R&GHomer
08-02-2006, 02:42 PM
the fines are optional, up to the team - can fine up to $14, 000 per day.

most franchises fine the maximum.

Are you sure about that? I thought it was mandatory.

Something else Carl said this morning I found quite interesting. He told Roaf's agent that if Roaf was indeed retiring that the Chief's organization wanted to have an official press conference and honor him in a game. Possibly the season opener. I guess his agent told him that Roaf wasn't ready to do that at this time. Take if for what it's worth.

I think Roaf will be starting day 1.

Frankie
08-02-2006, 02:46 PM
If Roaf returns IMO he should not play full games. He should share time with his understudy. More rest for him and more learning for the young'n.

ZepSinger
08-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Are you sure about that? I thought it was mandatory.

Something else Carl said this morning I found quite interesting. He told Roaf's agent that if Roaf was indeed retiring that the Chief's organization wanted to have an official press conference and honor him in a game. Possibly the season opener. I guess his agent told him that Roaf wasn't ready to do that at this time. Take if for what it's worth.

I think Roaf will be starting day 1.

Oh man, this sucks. I'm starting to get my hopes up. :drool:

Mr. Flopnuts
08-03-2006, 08:49 AM

ROFL I don't know why I laughed as hard at this as I did. Could be the mental image I got.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-03-2006, 08:51 AM
If Roaf returns IMO he should not play full games. He should share time with his understudy. More rest for him and more learning for the young'n.

That's a really good idea.