PDA

View Full Version : World Trade Center - Is it going to be an emotional rollercoaster

Logical
08-02-2006, 06:12 PM
The movie comes out next week (8/9) and I expect quite a ride emotionally.

Sadness reliving that experience.

Anger at my government for getting distracted from bringing the perpertrators to justice.

Anger at the way unity among my fellow Americans has fell apart.

Pride in the way we came together initially.

So what do you think your experience will be.

el borracho
08-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Pretty doubtful that I see the movie.

ChiefFan31
08-02-2006, 06:22 PM

Anger at my government for getting distracted from bringing the perpertrators to justice.

Excellent points here. It was great the feeling of Patriotism we all felt after 9/11. And utter disappointment at how quickly it faded away.

Most everyone wanted to get back into the Cocoon of denial, and go happily back to shopping at department stores and drinking Starbucks.

I dont know if I can watch this movie right now. I watched United 93 and that was pretty tough, I cant imagine how fired up I will be after watching this. I WILL definitely watch it at some point though...

KChiefsQT
Why do us Californians always get the wrath???

This is what one review says:
That is to say, nothing like what we New Yorkers experienced that unforgettable day. This movie wants to tell a story that deserves to be told, in fact, must be told over and over again. But it fails awfully. Nick Cage and that hapless woman Maria Bello need to find new jobs. This movie is so so so sooo Hollywood, so nothing about New York, so blatantly beat-you-over-the-head simple-mindedly obvious in every scene. It's "911: The Ride" at Six Flags. Even the story itself is lame, the gist of it (no spoilers here) is that two Port Authority policemen and their families all have a really bad day. Well, guess what? Several million people had a really awful day that day. Just under 3,000 had there last day of any kind that day. The Californians who made this movie have no feeling for the depth of remorse caused by that tragedy or the reverberations still felt today. The film follows a formulaic Hollywood disaster movie outline, insulting every living breathing New Yorker still alive to remember.

I can sit by myself and think about that day and possibly start to cry involuntarily. This movie pales in comparison to my ever-fading memory of Sept. 11, 2001. The only way this movie moved me was closer to the door (although I did sit it out so that I could warn people about it later without qualification.) Want a good honest, real-people-just-being-people-and-not-made-up-Hollywoood-dingbats movie about 9/11? Try Flight 93. That movie silenced me.

Donger
I'd rather not make any predictions.

Besides, I won't go and see this film.

oaklandhater
08-02-2006, 06:26 PM

That is to say, nothing like what we New Yorkers experienced that unforgettable day. This movie wants to tell a story that deserves to be told, in fact, must be told over and over again. But it fails awfully. Nick Cage and that hapless woman Maria Bello need to find new jobs. This movie is so so so sooo Hollywood, so nothing about New York, so blatantly beat-you-over-the-head simple-mindedly obvious in every scene. It's "911: The Ride" at Six Flags. Even the story itself is lame, the gist of it (no spoilers here) is that two Port Authority policemen and their families all have a really bad day. Well, guess what? Several million people had a really awful day that day. Just under 3,000 had there last day of any kind that day. The Californians who made this movie have no feeling for the depth of remorse caused by that tragedy or the reverberations still felt today. The film follows a formulaic Hollywood disaster movie outline, insulting every living breathing New Yorker still alive to remember.

I can sit by myself and think about that day and possibly start to cry involuntarily. This movie pales in comparison to my ever-fading memory of Sept. 11, 2001. The only way this movie moved me was closer to the door (although I did sit it out so that I could warn people about it later without qualification.) Want a good honest, real-people-just-being-people-and-not-made-up-Hollywoood-dingbats movie about 9/11? Try Flight 93. That movie silenced me.

You know us Californians were so heartless.:)

Gonzo
08-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Far too soon.....I knew a person who was killed there. I understand this movie coming out like 20 yrs. from now so that the next generation of americans can know what it was like, but now?? It's been less than 5 yrs. I think we all remember what it was like.

BIG_DADDY
08-02-2006, 06:29 PM
I won't go and see this film.

Me either.

Adept Havelock
08-02-2006, 06:50 PM
I'll probably see it. Not sure how it will affect me. As for the "too soon" arguments, I think that's a personal decision. I don't think it's "too soon" to make a film, though I clearly see it may be "too soon" for some people to watch that film. After all, there were movies about Pearl Harbor being made six months after 12-7-41. :shrug:

Donger
08-02-2006, 06:56 PM
After all, there were movies about Pearl Harbor being made six months after 12-7-41. :shrug:

No kidding? I'm not aware of any.

Adept Havelock
08-02-2006, 07:07 PM

Pearl Harbor-Now It Can Be Shown (1942) (Fox Movietone)

Avenge December 7 (1942)

John Ford's December 7'th 1941. Started production in early 1942.

Also in 1942.

Secret Agent of Japan
Little Tokyo, USA
Across The Pacific
Remember Pearl Harbor
Submarine Raider

All of which had numerous scenes using either actual footage of the attacks, or some really cheesy re-creations.

I've only seen the first three and "Little Tokyo, USA" and "Across the Pacific". Can't speak personally for the others. Pretty typical wartime propaganda fare.... Don't come close to Tora Tora Tora, IMO.

Deberg_1990
08-02-2006, 07:25 PM

No more worse or gut wrenching than "United 93" was.

I have yet to see a better film this year than that one.

Donger
08-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Pearl Harbor-Now It Can Be Shown (1942) (Fox Movietone)

Avenge December 7 (1942)

John Ford's December 7'th 1941. Started production in early 1942.

Also in 1942.

Secret Agent of Japan
Little Tokyo, USA
Across The Pacific
Remember Pearl Harbor
Submarine Raider

All of which had numerous scenes using either actual footage of the attacks, or some really cheesy re-creations.

I've only seen the first three and "Little Tokyo, USA" and "Across the Pacific". Can't speak personally for the others. Pretty typical wartime propaganda fare.... Don't come close to Tora Tora Tora, IMO.

Weren't all of those 'documentaries,' not feature films?

Logical
08-02-2006, 07:35 PM

Since the movie has not been released how did you get to see it. Are you a professional movie critic?

Logical
08-02-2006, 07:37 PM

Newsreel man, newsreels.;)

Jenson71
08-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Since the movie has not been released how did you get to see it. Are you a professional movie critic?

"This is what one review says"

Demonpenz
08-02-2006, 07:39 PM
I can't wait to see the movie about katrina.

JBucc
08-02-2006, 07:40 PM
I won't see it. I can't stand Nicholas Cage. And even if someone else were in it I probably still wouldn't see it.

DaFace
08-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Far too soon.....I knew a person who was killed there. I understand this movie coming out like 20 yrs. from now so that the next generation of americans can know what it was like, but now?? It's been less than 5 yrs. I think we all remember what it was like.

Exactly.

Logical
08-02-2006, 07:45 PM
"This is what one review says"

Thanks because of the formatting and lack of a reference to the the Author I did not catch that.

burt
08-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Too close to home.... I don't like to go to movies to feel worse that I did before viewing it. I will not fork out the $$ to see it.

Deberg_1990
08-02-2006, 07:49 PM
This movie actually does look pretty good. Basically its Oliver Stones apology for making "Alexander" Man, if only he were half the great filmaker he once was.....Ive also heard there is an interesting subplot about some vet who watches the diasaster unfold on TV from New England somewhere. He then drives all the way to NY city to find the firefighters. Ive never heard of this story before?? Should be interesting....

nychief
08-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Oliver Stone has lost his mind.

Adept Havelock
08-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Weren't all of those 'documentaries,' not feature films?
:hmmm:

Secret Agent of Japan
Little Tokyo, USA
Across The Pacific
Remember Pearl Harbor
Submarine Raider

No, they were not. Some, like John Ford's were. IIRC, Avenge December Seventh was a poorly done early version of Bruckheimer's effort. I.E. A Drama that tried to "personalize" the attack. The others that I've seen, and what I've heard of the others were (clumsy) propaganda masquerading as "feature films".

Little Tokyo, USA is MST3K-worthy, IMNSHO. Wish I could find a copy.

Brock
08-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Man, if only he were half the great filmaker he once was...

When was that?

Adept Havelock
08-02-2006, 08:32 PM
When was that?

Any Given Sunday

Platoon

Salvador

Wall Street

Talk Radio

Natural Born Killers

People Vs. Larry Flynt

John Ford Goes to War

He also wrote the screenplay for Scarface and Conan the Barbarian....

noa
08-02-2006, 08:55 PM
A movie will never be able to capture what happened that day.

Brock
08-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Any Given Sunday

Platoon

Salvador

Wall Street

Talk Radio

Natural Born Killers

People Vs. Larry Flynt

John Ford Goes to War

He also wrote the screenplay for Scarface and Conan the Barbarian....

All of those movies sucked balls except for platoon.

Adept Havelock
08-02-2006, 08:58 PM
A movie will never be able to capture what happened that day.

Did "Saving Private Ryan" capture what happened on the beaches of Normandy? Did "Schindler's List" capture the Holocaust?

No..they told a small part of a larger story, and that's all they needed to do.

Adept Havelock
08-02-2006, 08:58 PM

You forgot to add IM(incorrect)O.

:p

Adept Havelock
08-02-2006, 08:59 PM

You forgot to add, IM(incorrect)O.

Brock
08-02-2006, 09:03 PM
You forgot to add, IM(incorrect)O.

I'm surprised you omitted JFK. It sucked too, but it was certainly better than Any Given Sunday.

noa
08-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Did "Saving Private Ryan" capture what happened on the beaches of Normandy? Did "Schindler's List" capture the Holocaust?

No..they told a small part of a larger story, and that's all they needed to do.

Excuse my pessimism, but I don't think this movie will aproach Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List by any means. Those movies were focused on inidividual stories that remained relevant after years or reflection. Each was more than 50 years after the events, and this movie is only 5 years later...no way this movie does justice to what happened on 9/11 in the way that Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List did to WWII and the Holocuast.

Adept Havelock
08-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Excuse my pessimism, but I don't think this movie will aproach Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List by any means. Those movies were focused on inidividual stories that remained relevant after years or reflection. Each was more than 50 years after the events, and this movie is only 5 years later...no way this movie does justice to what happened on 9/11 in the way that Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List did to WWII and the Holocuast.

I don't think it'll be nearly as good as them either. My point was that a film like this about an epic event like that doesn't need to "capture" all of what happened, which I thought was the point of your post.

As for "only 5 years later"....I just don't see the problem. Film is art, and the purpose of art is to hold a mirror to life and nature. Even when what is reflected in that mirror is ugly, and makes some uncomfortable.

Why are you so certain that this film won't do "justice" to the events? Have you seen it? I'm not certain that it will, by a long shot, but I'm also far from certain that it's a bad idea to make this movie, or tell this particular story. No different from the book "102 Minutes", IMO. The only difference is the medium used.

Don't like the idea? Simple answer- don't go see it. :shrug:

Adept Havelock
08-02-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm surprised you omitted JFK. It sucked too, but it was certainly better than Any Given Sunday.

As I said, you are entitled to your opinion, even when it's wrong. JFK didn't impress me. What a waste of an outstanding ensemble cast, IMO.

BucEyedPea
08-02-2006, 11:33 PM
I won't be seeing it.

Nzoner
08-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Won't be seeing it,besides there's nothing that even come close to the documentary 911 that was captured on film the day of the tragedy by the two French brothers who were actually making a documentary on firefighters.

Rausch
08-03-2006, 12:00 AM

I don't think we all do.

Then again this isn't exactly how I'd recomend reminding them either...

AZORChiefFan
08-04-2006, 01:33 PM
I saw this movie last night as a Special Enagement or Preview screening whatever you wanna call it. There were approximately 100-150 first responders in the audience. I was genuinely moved by this movie.

Stone I felt has directed a fine movie. That basically shows how 9/11 affected 2 families of Port Authority officers. It doesn't pose any questions as to why it happened or even some conspiracy theories that his movies have dealt with in the past. He also didn't sensationalize the subject by showing multiple angles of the plane hitting the tower in fact you never see this on the screen. You see the aftermath but never the impact.

The cops had no idea what they were going to do once they entered the building all they knew is they had to try and help. The movie also showed all the confusion and misinformation that the rescue worker at ground zero had to deal with.

Definitely sad but at the same time uplifting. I mean uplifting in the sense of the triumph of human will.

If you have seen Hotel Rwanda you know what I am talking about.

I'd like to add that the audience after this movie just sat there in stunned silence for about 2 min.

penguinz
08-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Looks like a bad movie with bad acting to me.

chief2000
08-04-2006, 01:53 PM
It will bust.

Just like the hijacked jet film.

Nobody wants to see an OJ movie or a Rodney King flick.

jidar
08-04-2006, 01:57 PM
I saw it already, it was awesome. Non stop wall to wall action. Can't wait for the sequel.

chief2000
08-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Looks like a bad movie with bad acting to me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0344503/

penguinz
08-04-2006, 02:06 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0344503/
What is your point?

Dartgod
08-04-2006, 02:15 PM
I don't really want to see this, but my FIL has requested that my wife and I take him to it. Since he is such a tremendous help to us with our dogs and other stuff, we'll most likely take him.

Thig Lyfe
08-04-2006, 02:22 PM
It will bust.

Just like the hijacked jet film.

Nobody wants to see an OJ movie or a Rodney King flick.

United 93 busted?

90% on Rotten Tomatoes, made $31,471,430, first legit Best Picture entry of the year.

I don't think I'd call that a bust.

Nightwish
08-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Probably. Of course, we are talking about a Nicholas Cage movie.

StcChief
08-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Wait for the Video. same with United flight 42.

Logical
08-13-2006, 06:09 PM

So what do you think your experience will be.Well I saw it today and first let me tell you that if you were worried it would be about conspiracy because of Oliver Stone forget it not a thing about that.

I pretty much called it

The sadness, the anger, and the pride.

But especially the anger especially when the marine who finds the survivors says his job is not done. Then the caption says he serve two tours in f*cking Iraq. Nope not Afghanistan but Iraq. Bitter as hell that Osama is still roaming free even though he is on dialysis and yet the son of a bitch is not important enough for us to find and kill him, we have to play country builder instead.

Halfcan
08-13-2006, 06:12 PM
I will pass on this film, I was in NY at the grave site when they took down the cross and removed the last load from the massive hole. It was beyond sad.

Raiderhader
08-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Well I saw it today and first let me tell you that if you were worried it would be about conspiracy because of Oliver Stone forget it not a thing about that.

That is good to hear, I was worried about that.

Deberg_1990
08-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Well I saw it today and first let me tell you that if you were worried it would be about conspiracy because of Oliver Stone forget it not a thing about that.

Yea, ive heard its the most mainstream Stone yet. Which is good and bad i suppose. He had to make good after the debacle that was "Alexander", but yet his earlier "more edgy, political" stuff is where he made his legend.

Raiderhader
08-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Yea, ive heard its the most mainstream Stone yet. Which is good and bad i suppose. He had to make good after the debacle that was "Alexander", but yet his earlier "more edgy, political" stuff is where he made his legend.

However, this was the wrong film to try and be edgy and political with. I'm glad he used good judgement here.

chagrin
08-13-2006, 07:36 PM
I reado somewhere that it wasn't really that "good". I doubt I would see it just because I have no faith in Hollywood making such a disaster respectful.

Raiderhader
08-13-2006, 07:54 PM
I reado somewhere that it wasn't really that "good". I doubt I would see it just because I have no faith in Hollywood making such a disaster respectful.

"United 93" would remove those doubts. That was an extremely well done film.