PDA

View Full Version : Q/A with Gonzalez 8/2

ChiefFan31
08-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Mostly wanted to post this to point out a couple of things. First, interesting to read his comments about Roaf, and secondly to point out just how BS the rookie salary amounts are anymore.

Q&A withTE TONY GONZALEZ
Aug 02, 2006, 7:37:22 PM

TRAINING CAMP

Q: Do you worry about getting contract done this season?

GONZALEZ: Id be lying to you telling you I didnt think about it, but Im not worried about it like a negative thing, not by any means. My cap number is really high and it would kind of hurt the team for me to play under that cap number this year.

Q: You once said one of the ways to get to a Super Bowl was to sign CB Ty Law.

GONZALEZ: Well, we got him. I think that shows the dedication that this organization has towards going to a Super Bowl. This year, I know I said it last year and I really did think it last year, for me this really is the year. Its now or never.

Q: Youve been saying that for the last three years. Is it every year the window is closing?

GONZALEZ: Im optimistic anyway, but at the same time youve got to think G Will Shields, he said this is going to be his last year. Were all getting a little bit older on the offensive side of the ball. At the same time, T Willie Roaf had a lot to do with that. Whatever hes thinking or wherever hes at, maybe he comes back, Im keeping my fingers crossed hopefully he comes back and we can make that run.

Q: If Roaf doesnt come back do you see your role changing?

GONZALEZ: No I dont think so. I think we went through that last year and we brought it T Kyle Turley. Im sure you guys can tell, hes playing outstanding so as soon as he gets really into the groove of things and gets back into it, its only been a week and hes playing pretty good football. I anticipate him going out there and doing a great job if Willies not here.

Q: Did it surprise you that Roaf retired?

GONZALEZ: It definitely surprised me and Im a little disappointed, Id be lying if said that I wasnt because hes a big part of this team, hes huge. Were talking about our All-Pro left tackle not being there. Its something that were going to have to go out there and just make it work. Its something well have to overcome.

Q: Have you talked to Willie?

GONZALEZ: I called him one time and he didnt return my phone call.

Q: I understand hes not returning many phone calls?

GONZALEZ: I called him, hes down in Newport Beach, and Im down in Huntington Beach right down there. I havent heard from him, but if hes listening, come on back because were having a good time and weve got a good football team.

Q: How are you feeling?

GONZALEZ: I feel good. I feel real good.

Q: Does your role change without Willie?

GONZALEZ: Like I said before, Kyle is going to come in here and hes going to do a good job. As far as my role goes, its pretty much the same as its always been. They throw me the ball and they throw me the ball a lot. The only thing that I wanted more this year was more calls in the Red Zone, just calling my number and I think that they are going to do that. Coach Solari and I have been together since Ive been here so he knows what I can do and he knows what I like. Hes actually asked me what I like to do and hes calling those plays, so I cant complain at this point right now and well see how it goes in the season. As far as Im concerned, in the Red Zone Im going to get those calls this year.

Q: What are your thoughts on the new way of doing things in training camp so far?

I love it. Obviously you guys know Im not a big fan of two-a-days, I think they have no place in football, but thats just my opinion. The way Coach Edwards does it, especially with the veteran guys, he gives guys days off. We know what were doing. After 12-years in the NFL, dont tell me I need to come out here twice a day and run a seven route. I know what Im doing when it comes to that type of stuff and we know this offense. Its not a new offense, weve been doing it for the last five years. The way Coach Edwards runs things, this is like a dream come true. You can ask any guy on this team, its something else. We feel fresh and were going to go out there and bust our behinds to get better.

Q: Do you think this contract will be more difficult than normal?

GONZALEZ: Yeah, it gets more difficult because youve got a guy like (49ers) TE Vernon Davis, obviously his contract is something Ive noticed. I understand how it works. (Titans) QB Vince Young is making more money than Trent Green and he hasnt even played a down. Thats just how it goes and its how the system is set up. Im not looking for anything to break the bank. Im just looking to go out there and I want to be a Chief. Thats first and foremost, Ive been here my whole career and I want to finish it here. I have no doubt in my mind well get this thing done. I dont know if its sooner or later, but eventually well get this thing done.

Q: Do you see a difference in RB Larry Johnson?

GONZALEZ: Yeah, hes become more of a leader. Hes more vocal in the locker room. The way hes playing on the field, hes picked up right where he left off, actually I think hes gotten better. I think if he keeps up what hes doing in camp, and its early in camp, but I think you learn from the best. Learning from a guy like RB Priest Holmes, the work ethic and FB Tony Richardson. Hes come out here with his own identity now and its looking pretty well for him.

the Talking Can
08-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Q: What are your thoughts on the new way of doing things in training camp so far?

I love it. Obviously you guys know Im not a big fan of two-a-days, I think they have no place in football, but thats just my opinion. The way Coach Edwards does it, especially with the veteran guys, he gives guys days off. We know what were doing. After 12-years in the NFL, dont tell me I need to come out here twice a day and run a seven route. I know what Im doing when it comes to that type of stuff and we know this offense. Its not a new offense, weve been doing it for the last five years. The way Coach Edwards runs things, this is like a dream come true. You can ask any guy on this team, its something else. We feel fresh and were going to go out there and bust our behinds to get better.

wow...quite an endorsement....and implicit rebuke of DV's way...

OnTheWarpath58
08-02-2006, 06:57 PM
(Titans) QB Vince Young is making more money than Trent Green and he hasnt even played a down. Or knows how to read a defense.

Fixed that for TG.......

noa
08-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Q: Youve been saying that for the last three years. Is it every year the window is closing?

What a d!ck question. TonyG was completely justified in thinking that last year might be a final shot at the Super Bowl. Fortunately, it wasn't, cause we got Shields to come back (and maybe Roaf will change his mind) plus we got Ty Law, but none of that was guaranteed, so of course it was something reasonable to say. He wants to motivate his teamates by giving them a sense of urgency, and by phrasing the question this way, the interviewer makes it seem like that is a trivial goal.

el borracho
08-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Tony is one of my favorites Chiefs and it is very cool to hear him say that he wants to (and will) retire a Chief. Also, I think it is great to hear that Solari is asking his best players what plays they want to run.

noa
08-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Tony is one of my favorites Chiefs and it is very cool to hear him say that he wants to (and will) retire a Chief. Also, I think it is great to hear that Solari is asking his best players what plays they want to run.

Yeah, hopefully that will result in more TD's for TonyG this year. He should never have only two TD's in a year, so hopefully Solari will make sure it never happens again.

JimNasium
08-02-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm starting to feel much more comfortable with Turley at LT. Getting Willie back and moving Kyle to RT would simply be gravy. I may have to move back to my 10-6 pre-season prediction.

DaFace
08-02-2006, 08:21 PM
wow...quite an endorsement....and implicit rebuke of DV's way...

I was impressed by that too. Hopefully we won't have the same slump we've had in the beginning of the past few seasons since everyone will be a little more fresh.

I'm starting to feel much more comfortable with Turley at LT. Getting Willie back and moving Kyle to LT would simply be gravy. I may have to move back to my 10-6 pre-season prediction.

I assume you mean move Turley to RT?

JimNasium
08-02-2006, 08:34 PM
I was impressed by that too. Hopefully we won't have the same slump we've had in the beginning of the past few seasons since everyone will be a little more fresh.

I assume you mean move Turley to RT?
Yes. I'm a dumbass.