PDA

View Full Version : Final camp thoughts...

Shootr
08-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Got back into KC a few hours ago. Unfortunately, the morning practice was indoors, so we headed out a little earlier than planned. BTW it was F'n 60 degrees when we rolled out of town. Just my luck. It looks like the weather will be more typical of River Falls the rest of camp. I had some time (about 7 hours) to think about what I saw...

1. (for bobbything) The offense looks to be the same offense that it has been. Same shifting, same motion, same misdirection,same looking plays--pulling OL, unique screens, etc. They have not moved the ball as easily as in past camps, but I believe this is due to an improved defense (see #2). I DO believe that there will not be much if any of a drop-off.

2. The defense has improved. In camps the past few years, the offense routinely shredded the defense. Now, they are making it more difficult on the offense. Ty Law improves this defense and what they can do. Kendrell Bell has been in on a lot of plays with some of the biggest hits in camp. Allen and Hali together are definitely the best pass rush combo we've had since you know who. It has been fun to watch Gun and Krumrie together. Between the two of them, there is always someone barking at the D.

3. Tynes has looked great, really kicking the ball with accuracy and strength. Every kick that I saw him make had that nice "thump" to it that a well kicked ball has.

4. Colquitt is also kicking the ball well. This camp and last it has been fun to watch the young guys try to field his punts with that reverse spin. They usually struggle.

5. In the Red zone, they are making more of an effort to get the ball to Tony G., and they are being successful. Herm was openly frustrated (at the D) a couple of times with passes to Tony, there were a couple that he just went up and took away from guys.

6. The Practice Pro-Bowler, Kris Wilson, continues to make a lot of plays. I know this is said all the time, but he honestly looks great in practice. I really thought that coming out of camp last year, he would be an impact guy. I just cannot undertsand why this doesn't translate to the field. I see why the coaches are big on him, but it is really frustrating.

7. I don't know what the Chiefs are going to do at QB. They are going to have a tough decision to make. Right now I think 2-3-4 are Huard-Printers-Croyle. Printers looks like he would be more game ready than Croyle, today. However, I think Croyle is definitely THE guy, long-term. Before camp I held hopes that maybe Huard would be gone, but, now, I think it is clear that the Chiefs plan on him being the #2 guy, and it is probably the right decision.

8. Every year I come away from camp with a young guy that I am impressed with or that stood out. I really didn't have one of those guys this year. If I had to pick one it would be Nathaniel Curry. As I mentioned in other posts, he has made a lot of catches and they seem to be giving him a lot of opportunities. Other younger guys that left a good impression on me were Jarrad Page, Svitek, WR's Hannon and Webb are both good looking athletes and are probably PS bound. Jeris McIntyre has also looked pretty good. He may actaully have a shot to make the team.

9. Herm Edwards--practice is definitely different with tis guy at the helm and the players have seemed to respond well. He is definitely more enetertaining than Dick. He talks a lot of good natured smack to the guys, and it is usually pretty funny. He is much more active in coaching the players and does a lot of running around. I really like the guy, now, let's see how successful he is.

10. I think this is the best overall team the Chiefs have put on the field in quite a few years. I have some concerns (DT's, LT, and WR's), but every team has some concern positions. I think this team has a chance to do some damage, but I'm always a bit of an optimist.... :)

Mecca
08-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Hrm I think that's an interesting report especially about the WR's. I listened to Petro talk about what he saw and he basically said all of the young WR's sucked and weren't stepping up and they needed to make a move to get someone.

DJJasonp
08-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks for all the great info!

Deberg_1990
08-02-2006, 07:25 PM
6. The Practice Pro-Bowler, Kris Wilson, continues to make a lot of plays. I know this is said all the time, but he honestly looks great in practice.

Ill believe it when i see it......I honestly see no future in this guy. Hes had ZERO impact whatsoever.

Thanks for your reports man! I appreciate the time and effort!

R&GHomer
08-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Thank You, Thank You.... It's great to get a fans perspective.

Shootr
08-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Hrm I think that's an interesting report especially about the WR's. I listened to Petro talk about what he saw and he basically said all of the young WR's sucked and weren't stepping up and they needed to make a move to get someone.
Maybe I misreprerented a little regarding the young WR's. I am still concerned (see #10), but I can see some long term potential.

The Red Sea
08-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Just wanted to say I've loved your camp updates!

THX

Shootr
08-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Ill believe it when i see it......I honestly see no future in this guy. Hes had ZERO impact whatsoever.

Hey, I'm with you! I just know it is baffling to see this guy in practice vs. games.

noa
08-02-2006, 07:58 PM

Thanks for your reports man! I appreciate the time and effort!

I would like to think that Wilson hasn't put up numbers because the coaches didn't call his number that often, not because of any fault of his own. Is there anything that leaves you to believe that he would still be a bust if the coaches ran plays for him more often?

NewChief
08-02-2006, 07:59 PM
6. The Practice Pro-Bowler, Kris Wilson, continues to make a lot of plays. I know this is said all the time, but he honestly looks great in practice. I really thought that coming out of camp last year, he would be an impact guy. I just cannot undertsand why this doesn't translate to the field. I see why the coaches are big on him, but it is really frustrating.

Will be interesting to see what develops with him this year. He was Al's super stud wet dream pick, so I could never figure out why he didn't utilize him more effectively. May be interesting to see what develops if they just decide to throw him on the field and play some sort of actual position instead of being the mystery secret weapon.

el borracho
08-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Was Jarrad Page playing free safety or strong safety or both?

morphius
08-02-2006, 08:17 PM
The only hope is that Wilson can get a LB to line up on him, DV mentioned that every time that they sent him out the other team would put a CB on him, and that was a mismatch in the other teams favor. I'm guessing we still are pretending like he is an actual TE in practice instead of a fat WR.

JimNasium
08-02-2006, 08:20 PM
I'd rep you again but the system won't let me. It's the man keeping you down. Thanks again. Loved your analysis. Perhaps you have a future with WPI?

The Poz
08-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Two reasons why Wilson hasn't done anything:
1. Injured
2. Not given the opportunity.
It's hard to be a productive TE when Tony G. (best pass catching TE in the game) and Jason Dunn (big reason why the chiefs run so well) are your fellow team-mates.
Saw him in a bit of action with Pitt and he was rock solid. If he's healthy, which he appears to be, I'd love to see the coaches use him. Could supplement our lack at WR depth.

ChiefsfaninPA
08-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks for all of the updates. You put pros to shame.

the Talking Can
08-02-2006, 08:55 PM
thanks for the report...helps to get a more complete feel for what is happening...seems to be mostly good news so far..knock on wood

i was hoping that Crap-ho would make more of an impact...might be a year away...can't wait to see the defense in action

The Poz
08-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Yes, great report by the way!:rockon: Forgot to mention that earlier. :bong:

Sully
08-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Shootr-
I came home Tuesday, and I agree point by point with everything you stated in the OP. Nice job.